Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Betta Fish
1 2
out of curiosity, does anyone else here own betta fish? i just got into the hobby a year or two ago, and i think they’re really funky little guys— it sucks that there’s so much misinformation about fish keeping, they have so much personality when they’re well cared for :(( currently, i have one, but i am hoping that i can get a second over the summer when i get a job and actually have money to spend!! here’s a picture of my current betta, ferrari! [img]https://i.ibb.co/tb5G0H6/0-EBCC2-AE-83-FC-46-C3-B519-81-CCC8-DC92-BF.jpg[/img]
out of curiosity, does anyone else here own betta fish? i just got into the hobby a year or two ago, and i think they’re really funky little guys— it sucks that there’s so much misinformation about fish keeping, they have so much personality when they’re well cared for :(( currently, i have one, but i am hoping that i can get a second over the summer when i get a job and actually have money to spend!!

here’s a picture of my current betta, ferrari!
0-EBCC2-AE-83-FC-46-C3-B519-81-CCC8-DC92-BF.jpg
MRiyJ.gif FTN2E.gif pkx4F.gif 1Q7YE.gif
rCZem.gif
Ysp75.gif RBTpa.gif mSQXG.gif
I have a fish tank, but it's too small for a betta fish… or any fish at all. It's around 25–30 litres, while a betta would need around 38 litres minimum. For the given moment, I am keeping shrimp in it.

But if I had more room in my apartment, I would like to have a tank with a betta in it! Preferring the plakat-finned version, as apparently big fins can be quite detrimental to the fish's spine.
I have a fish tank, but it's too small for a betta fish… or any fish at all. It's around 25–30 litres, while a betta would need around 38 litres minimum. For the given moment, I am keeping shrimp in it.

But if I had more room in my apartment, I would like to have a tank with a betta in it! Preferring the plakat-finned version, as apparently big fins can be quite detrimental to the fish's spine.
A bottle of Dasani (water)
Please drink water.

Step away if things get heated.
i have a halfmoon betta named ciuffo (= tuft) and i definitely agree on the personality part! hes got lots of little quirks and is very fun to look at, watching what little crook hes found for himself to hide in or his odd all crunched up positions
though hes not really mine, more so my dads </3
(ive seen from him what it takes to look after tanks, so big respect for the people who do that, as much as i love fish i dont think i could ever have the patience :’D)
i have a halfmoon betta named ciuffo (= tuft) and i definitely agree on the personality part! hes got lots of little quirks and is very fun to look at, watching what little crook hes found for himself to hide in or his odd all crunched up positions
though hes not really mine, more so my dads </3
(ive seen from him what it takes to look after tanks, so big respect for the people who do that, as much as i love fish i dont think i could ever have the patience :’D)
I have a dragonscale male betta and hes so cool! When I walk around my room he comes to the front of the tank and darts back and forth while watching me, and he goes to the top when im close knowing im going to give him his food. His name is Kazi and I've had him for a while. I had another named Sisu that unfortunately passed away a few months ago, and im still unsure as to why due to when I checked my water, it was perfectly fine, and none of my other fish (only have one another, which is a Dario, and a dwarf crawfish + ghost shrimp, which are the same size) were sick or passed away. So Im still not really sure what happened- however Kazi is going strong!

I currently house my fish in a 10 gallon (plan on upgrading to a 20, however im not in a rush as its understocked tbh) with some drift wood, black sand and some cool plants!
I have a dragonscale male betta and hes so cool! When I walk around my room he comes to the front of the tank and darts back and forth while watching me, and he goes to the top when im close knowing im going to give him his food. His name is Kazi and I've had him for a while. I had another named Sisu that unfortunately passed away a few months ago, and im still unsure as to why due to when I checked my water, it was perfectly fine, and none of my other fish (only have one another, which is a Dario, and a dwarf crawfish + ghost shrimp, which are the same size) were sick or passed away. So Im still not really sure what happened- however Kazi is going strong!

I currently house my fish in a 10 gallon (plan on upgrading to a 20, however im not in a rush as its understocked tbh) with some drift wood, black sand and some cool plants!
79771108_lfwPW5bn2U5Fpy7.png
@butterlad Firstly, Ferrari is precious, I love that lil patch of scales on their back!
I've got one in my five gallon (Female Vieltail, basically what I'd wanted if I'd ever got a betta) and I never really registered "bettas can recognize you" until I got her and she zips over to see me, I'm used to my tetras ducking away from me/my hands but when I went to go rearrange some decor to add more plants in she just followed them the entire time, it's adorable! Having a "inquisitive" fish is fun, I love watching her!

@butterlad Firstly, Ferrari is precious, I love that lil patch of scales on their back!
I've got one in my five gallon (Female Vieltail, basically what I'd wanted if I'd ever got a betta) and I never really registered "bettas can recognize you" until I got her and she zips over to see me, I'm used to my tetras ducking away from me/my hands but when I went to go rearrange some decor to add more plants in she just followed them the entire time, it's adorable! Having a "inquisitive" fish is fun, I love watching her!

h1d7LhT.png
I used to have a 70gal. tank with 5 girls in it! Little known fact, with enough space and foliage, you can cohabitate female bettas. They live in a comfortable sorority. Ferrari is adorable!
I used to have a 70gal. tank with 5 girls in it! Little known fact, with enough space and foliage, you can cohabitate female bettas. They live in a comfortable sorority. Ferrari is adorable!
It0R1xG.png
JNAfoEf.png
ypcKWM0.png
qjxrAwx.png
TdTJOrw.png
DkUJ4j9.png
JvUa9ma.png
apUeZZ4.png
hi.........................] ......................Q6xbY8i.gif .....wvNXBdA.gif
I've had one for about 3 years, going on 4 this year! He's quite old though and noticeably showing signs, so he may not have much longer. Regardless I'm extremely proud of him and of myself because he was sprung on me as a surprise birthday present when I wasn't remotely ready to care for a fish (I've also never cared for a fish properly myself).

He came in one of the rounded vase things but I upgraded to a proper tank asap with a filter and plants and everything. One plant in particular has grown incredibly well and been here since the start of its introduction, probably because I don't sift through the gravel. All of the bio-waste is likely broken down by it which is why the tank still runs well and why the plant is so, so healthy.

I had no idea what I was doing going into this, hence the unprepared part, but considering how long he's lived with only one or two minor problems sparking up... I dunno, it feels nice. I'm glad I've been able to give him a good life despite how sudden it was when I got him.

He's called Blitzy, is fully red and has tattered fins :] Which also happens to be nightmarish when I panic about if he's sick or not, since those are common symptoms afjshdjg
Otherwise this guy is super active and often has bursts of undying speed where he zips around his tank for no reason. Loves to swim up to the front of the tank and death glare me with his fins flared any time he sees me looking at him. He's a snarky little thing!!
I've also unintentionally trained him to spring out of the water in the corner, as a result of me feeding him in that spot.

Curious lil' fellas... Clever beasts that don't get enough credit.
I've had one for about 3 years, going on 4 this year! He's quite old though and noticeably showing signs, so he may not have much longer. Regardless I'm extremely proud of him and of myself because he was sprung on me as a surprise birthday present when I wasn't remotely ready to care for a fish (I've also never cared for a fish properly myself).

He came in one of the rounded vase things but I upgraded to a proper tank asap with a filter and plants and everything. One plant in particular has grown incredibly well and been here since the start of its introduction, probably because I don't sift through the gravel. All of the bio-waste is likely broken down by it which is why the tank still runs well and why the plant is so, so healthy.

I had no idea what I was doing going into this, hence the unprepared part, but considering how long he's lived with only one or two minor problems sparking up... I dunno, it feels nice. I'm glad I've been able to give him a good life despite how sudden it was when I got him.

He's called Blitzy, is fully red and has tattered fins :] Which also happens to be nightmarish when I panic about if he's sick or not, since those are common symptoms afjshdjg
Otherwise this guy is super active and often has bursts of undying speed where he zips around his tank for no reason. Loves to swim up to the front of the tank and death glare me with his fins flared any time he sees me looking at him. He's a snarky little thing!!
I've also unintentionally trained him to spring out of the water in the corner, as a result of me feeding him in that spot.

Curious lil' fellas... Clever beasts that don't get enough credit.
|Art Shop
SZ6yYcj.png
I love betta fish, however I have never kept one.
I plan on getting a 10 gallon tank in the future. I already have a breeder in mind to purchase from and will make sure my tank is cycled and ready for a fish before purchase!

Ferrari is very pretty, I love the scales on their back!
I love betta fish, however I have never kept one.
I plan on getting a 10 gallon tank in the future. I already have a breeder in mind to purchase from and will make sure my tank is cycled and ready for a fish before purchase!

Ferrari is very pretty, I love the scales on their back!
Fish/shrimpkeeper here! Im sad seeing this shortly after my poor betta passed away from swim bladder disease... She was a fancy plakat, and she was fairly old when I got her. I think I'm going to stay with only shrimps for a while before getting another one, unless I find any that need urgent rescue. It's always great seeing fellow fishkeepers in here [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
Fish/shrimpkeeper here! Im sad seeing this shortly after my poor betta passed away from swim bladder disease... She was a fancy plakat, and she was fairly old when I got her. I think I'm going to stay with only shrimps for a while before getting another one, unless I find any that need urgent rescue. It's always great seeing fellow fishkeepers in here
01dcb6e24e7faa8f177f36434c4fba6a7f02ed03.gif
I'm not personally into fish keeping. But I feel ya on the misinformation on fishkeeping, especially when it comes to bettas and goldfish. They're so often kept in tiny little bowls. Same with rodents, like mice/gerbils/hamsters/etc. Just about any small "Little Timmy's First Pet" animals. Those "starter kits" you can buy at pet stores are terrible.

Back to bettas tho, when I was young we had a gorgeous red betta fish, and my clever older brother and I named him Bob.

If I DID get fish as pets, most the fish I want are too large and/or expensive, so I'll leave the fishkeeping to the professionals.
I'm not personally into fish keeping. But I feel ya on the misinformation on fishkeeping, especially when it comes to bettas and goldfish. They're so often kept in tiny little bowls. Same with rodents, like mice/gerbils/hamsters/etc. Just about any small "Little Timmy's First Pet" animals. Those "starter kits" you can buy at pet stores are terrible.

Back to bettas tho, when I was young we had a gorgeous red betta fish, and my clever older brother and I named him Bob.

If I DID get fish as pets, most the fish I want are too large and/or expensive, so I'll leave the fishkeeping to the professionals.
Wishlist
G1s for Sale
Fandragons
Free Vistas
AbPMzoC.png
1 2