Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Breeding Project Tracker/Spreadsheet ?
Has someone made a tracker/spreadsheet specifically for breeding projects?

I read breeding project guides, but I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the information needed (especially for the pyramid methods with multiple pairs). I'd love to have something simple to track pairs, potential outcomes and current outcomes, etc.

I did search in the forums and on google, but all I found are mega spreadsheets for tracking all dragon info or gene cost spreadsheets, nothing close to what I'd need. I feel like someone somewhere must have made something like that though, considering how many people do have breeding projects.

Maybe it doesn't exist. But I figured I could ask in case there is such sheet/tracker out there and I missed in in my research.
Has someone made a tracker/spreadsheet specifically for breeding projects?

I read breeding project guides, but I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the information needed (especially for the pyramid methods with multiple pairs). I'd love to have something simple to track pairs, potential outcomes and current outcomes, etc.

I did search in the forums and on google, but all I found are mega spreadsheets for tracking all dragon info or gene cost spreadsheets, nothing close to what I'd need. I feel like someone somewhere must have made something like that though, considering how many people do have breeding projects.

Maybe it doesn't exist. But I figured I could ask in case there is such sheet/tracker out there and I missed in in my research.
@Dreu

Thank you so much! This sheet doesn't have all the features I wanted, but it is much better than the others I've found before. Until I find something better, I'll definitely use it and just make myself another document to track the remaining info I need.
@Dreu

Thank you so much! This sheet doesn't have all the features I wanted, but it is much better than the others I've found before. Until I find something better, I'll definitely use it and just make myself another document to track the remaining info I need.
Hello @darksstars ! Sorry to bother you, the comment from the person who replied to you disappeared, so I was wondering if you could please provide the link they gave you, or if you've found a better tracker/spreadsheet! Thank you in advance and sorry for the problems!
Hello @darksstars ! Sorry to bother you, the comment from the person who replied to you disappeared, so I was wondering if you could please provide the link they gave you, or if you've found a better tracker/spreadsheet! Thank you in advance and sorry for the problems!
there's been a couple of threads about this lately, are y'all looking for @xianvar's (ping because i imagine they'd want to see this thread) [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CnlkTMnZAj1iFSMtX9dQNtXwt1WT5VQ3gP2NU2kDmnk/edit#gid=1170111300]breeding helper[/url]? remember that this sheet is only looking at numbers, and it doesn't actually understand what you want. it's still very useful, but absolutely [i]do not[/i] blindly breed together whatever pairs it suggests. remember that the pair finder will ONLY suggest pairs according to their chance of producing either your goal (if yes) or a near-miss (if no). also consider that sometimes the odds of producing a near-miss are higher than the odds of producing a goal, so a no pair might be ranked higher than a yes pair. always look at the colours! sometimes the sheet will tell you to pair two antique dragons together because they have great odds! they have literally the same primary! of course that's great odds! it's still useless if you want white. if you're at all familiar with google sheets, the instructions tab should contain everything you need, especially now it's a lot more predictable and most of the oddities have been beaten out of it. that said, i don't think there's any harm in my explaining how i use this (because blindly following this sheet's recommendations can result in a lot of wasted time): enter all my dragons in as gen0. i actually use a helper sheet to format dragon info properly and then paste it all in at once, because xia's sheet tries to process what i type as i'm typing and that slows things down. leave the sheet unattended for a while as it calculates potential matches. go to "pair finder" (near the end of the list of tabs) and assess what it considers to be the best pairs. case study of my current breeding project, which is also looking for two genes as well as colours. this requires more careful use of the sheet: if i haven't already checked whether my dragons are related, i put every pair the sheet suggests into "assay bloodlines". if they're related, there's a column in the sheet for marking relatives so it doesn't try to pair them up. this is important: put the female's name in the male's "relatives" column. it does not work the other way around. (you can also put the male's name in the female's column if you want to be able to tell who's related at a glance. but the sheet isn't looking there) the top suggested pair are great for getting the colours i want! they have...one goal gene on the male and the other on the female. not awful. i go to "pairs0". this tab can give me more specific information about a pair. i put the names of the best-colours pair in the top-most pair calculator. all i do is start typing their names into the name box, the sheet does the rest. it even autofills their names for me. i'm after a white / [avocado-radioactive] / [heather-nightshade] dragon with shimmer and glimmer. this gives me some room in the secondary and tertiary colours, which is nice, because those are the ones i need to get genes on. i input the details of my desired outcome: shimmer and glimmer, 1 primary colour, (i count how many of the possible secondary outcomes are acceptable to me) 7 secondary colours, (i count how many of the possible tertiary outcomes are acceptable to me), 1 tertiary colour. the pair has.....laughably low odds. [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/76913445_E8YFhgXTdmusEy7.png[/img] lol. lmao, even. (there's hidden info visible here because i was troubleshooting some odd behaviour. forgot to re-hide it. ignore that) i mark the pair as related so the pair finder doesn't try that nonsense again, and look at the next-best pair. same male, different female...ah, now the female has shimmer and glimmer, so this might be better. yeah, yeah, it thinks they have bad odds for colours. but look: [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/76913735_8lfjeX57VsT0lTB.png[/img] trust me, once your egg odds don't start with 0. anymore you're doing well. even though they have a slightly narrower range of acceptable sec colours (6 instead of 7), they have better odds overall of producing any acceptable offspring. i didn't even go with this pair. i cntrl+f'd the female's name and compared egg odds against every male she was suggested with until i found a mate for her that has a 4.32% chance of producing an acceptable offspring. tedious, but worth it considering i'm breeding for two gem genes. this is how i paired up all my dragons. i mark pairs i consider bad as related so the sheet won't waste time telling me to breed them, compare possible mates to a decent dragon, until i feel like i can't really gain anything (in terms of hatchling%) by going on any more. if i'm just breeding for colours it's a lot simpler, but i still check it's not pairing two dragons whose best outcome is a clone of the parents.
there's been a couple of threads about this lately, are y'all looking for @xianvar's (ping because i imagine they'd want to see this thread) breeding helper?

remember that this sheet is only looking at numbers, and it doesn't actually understand what you want.

it's still very useful, but absolutely do not blindly breed together whatever pairs it suggests.

remember that the pair finder will ONLY suggest pairs according to their chance of producing either your goal (if yes) or a near-miss (if no). also consider that sometimes the odds of producing a near-miss are higher than the odds of producing a goal, so a no pair might be ranked higher than a yes pair.

always look at the colours! sometimes the sheet will tell you to pair two antique dragons together because they have great odds! they have literally the same primary! of course that's great odds! it's still useless if you want white.

if you're at all familiar with google sheets, the instructions tab should contain everything you need, especially now it's a lot more predictable and most of the oddities have been beaten out of it. that said, i don't think there's any harm in my explaining how i use this (because blindly following this sheet's recommendations can result in a lot of wasted time):

enter all my dragons in as gen0. i actually use a helper sheet to format dragon info properly and then paste it all in at once, because xia's sheet tries to process what i type as i'm typing and that slows things down.

leave the sheet unattended for a while as it calculates potential matches.

go to "pair finder" (near the end of the list of tabs) and assess what it considers to be the best pairs.

case study of my current breeding project, which is also looking for two genes as well as colours. this requires more careful use of the sheet:

if i haven't already checked whether my dragons are related, i put every pair the sheet suggests into "assay bloodlines". if they're related, there's a column in the sheet for marking relatives so it doesn't try to pair them up. this is important: put the female's name in the male's "relatives" column. it does not work the other way around. (you can also put the male's name in the female's column if you want to be able to tell who's related at a glance. but the sheet isn't looking there)

the top suggested pair are great for getting the colours i want! they have...one goal gene on the male and the other on the female. not awful.

i go to "pairs0". this tab can give me more specific information about a pair. i put the names of the best-colours pair in the top-most pair calculator. all i do is start typing their names into the name box, the sheet does the rest. it even autofills their names for me.

i'm after a white / [avocado-radioactive] / [heather-nightshade] dragon with shimmer and glimmer. this gives me some room in the secondary and tertiary colours, which is nice, because those are the ones i need to get genes on.

i input the details of my desired outcome: shimmer and glimmer, 1 primary colour, (i count how many of the possible secondary outcomes are acceptable to me) 7 secondary colours, (i count how many of the possible tertiary outcomes are acceptable to me), 1 tertiary colour.

the pair has.....laughably low odds.
76913445_E8YFhgXTdmusEy7.png
lol. lmao, even.
(there's hidden info visible here because i was troubleshooting some odd behaviour. forgot to re-hide it. ignore that)

i mark the pair as related so the pair finder doesn't try that nonsense again, and look at the next-best pair. same male, different female...ah, now the female has shimmer and glimmer, so this might be better. yeah, yeah, it thinks they have bad odds for colours. but look:
76913735_8lfjeX57VsT0lTB.png
trust me, once your egg odds don't start with 0. anymore you're doing well.

even though they have a slightly narrower range of acceptable sec colours (6 instead of 7), they have better odds overall of producing any acceptable offspring.

i didn't even go with this pair. i cntrl+f'd the female's name and compared egg odds against every male she was suggested with until i found a mate for her that has a 4.32% chance of producing an acceptable offspring.

tedious, but worth it considering i'm breeding for two gem genes.

this is how i paired up all my dragons. i mark pairs i consider bad as related so the sheet won't waste time telling me to breed them, compare possible mates to a decent dragon, until i feel like i can't really gain anything (in terms of hatchling%) by going on any more.

if i'm just breeding for colours it's a lot simpler, but i still check it's not pairing two dragons whose best outcome is a clone of the parents.
Tired | Xe / Xem / Xyr | Cymreig | avatar
@Antimoany I'm honestly not looking for something in particular, just tools that might help me get started with my very first breeding project! So thank you very much! This will be very helpful :DD
@Antimoany I'm honestly not looking for something in particular, just tools that might help me get started with my very first breeding project! So thank you very much! This will be very helpful :DD
@Zielle

Sorry I completly missed this!

This was the sheet the deleted comment recommended :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aExbYPZH1VhtbzKvH307DAkUgQV-ASQpTRk-qiwLf3w/edit

(I dont have the link to the FR post unfortunately)
@Zielle

Sorry I completly missed this!

This was the sheet the deleted comment recommended :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aExbYPZH1VhtbzKvH307DAkUgQV-ASQpTRk-qiwLf3w/edit

(I dont have the link to the FR post unfortunately)
@darksstars

It's okay! Thank you very much!
@darksstars

It's okay! Thank you very much!