Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why does FR succeed where others don't?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
a couple things i enjoy abt FR and why it succeeds that I really haven't seen anyone touch on!

A really simple and easy to understand game loop. If you just come on to do dailies, most of that is in a few areas! Anything more (Fairgrounds, Coli, Forums, etc.) is easy to access and understand. So you don't have to plunge a lotta time into the game to do the basics but its easy to find more to do.

Nothing is really hidden in menus. A big problem I found with Lioden and other pet sites is it feels the way its set up isn't very intuitive. Now this might just be me more comfortable with older site layouts but I enjoy how most of the site is accessible from the sidebar.

Most dragons are reachable by the average player. Not counting apparel, the only kind of dragon that the average player couldn't get is a Gen 1 Imperial which is so niche it barely matters. All other color/breed/eye combos are accessible with just some work! None are truly "retired". And even counting apparel, there's really only a handful of apparel among the hundreds of pieces that are retired and difficult to get a hold of.
a couple things i enjoy abt FR and why it succeeds that I really haven't seen anyone touch on!

A really simple and easy to understand game loop. If you just come on to do dailies, most of that is in a few areas! Anything more (Fairgrounds, Coli, Forums, etc.) is easy to access and understand. So you don't have to plunge a lotta time into the game to do the basics but its easy to find more to do.

Nothing is really hidden in menus. A big problem I found with Lioden and other pet sites is it feels the way its set up isn't very intuitive. Now this might just be me more comfortable with older site layouts but I enjoy how most of the site is accessible from the sidebar.

Most dragons are reachable by the average player. Not counting apparel, the only kind of dragon that the average player couldn't get is a Gen 1 Imperial which is so niche it barely matters. All other color/breed/eye combos are accessible with just some work! None are truly "retired". And even counting apparel, there's really only a handful of apparel among the hundreds of pieces that are retired and difficult to get a hold of.
Wildcat | she/her | FR time +3
tumblr_inline_paefnd80ee1r16a5d_540.pngtumblr_inline_paeimxW9MH1r16a5d_540.png
[quote name="Kryptica" date="2024-01-19 07:31:24" ] Also, so so happy there's no human avatars in FR. They're literal bane of my existence and i hate them. [/quote] I'm glad someone else has good taste. I hate human avatars. [quote name="Welgan" date="2024-01-18 04:38:48" ] -Limited colorwheel allowing a real control on the apparence of your future dragon while still having lots of possibilities. "More" or even "infinity" doesn't necessarily mean "better", but usually more "overwhelming". [/quote] I actually agree with this. You can actually give people too much choice. So many games that have way too many markings/colors/etc actually end up having all of their pets look muddy and samey despite there being so much customization. It's an unpopular opinion, but I actually like Neopets' "one color" approach. I always loved seeing pets painted a certain color and then seeing how the owner interpreted/imagined their design with their own artwork. It really encouraged creativity imo (not saying FR or other games don't; obviously making designs on FR is very creative too) FR strikes a good balance between both of those things, imo. I really like how dragon customization works on FR.
Kryptica wrote on 2024-01-19 07:31:24:
Also, so so happy there's no human avatars in FR. They're literal bane of my existence and i hate them.

I'm glad someone else has good taste. I hate human avatars.
Welgan wrote on 2024-01-18 04:38:48:
-Limited colorwheel allowing a real control on the apparence of your future dragon while still having lots of possibilities. "More" or even "infinity" doesn't necessarily mean "better", but usually more "overwhelming".

I actually agree with this. You can actually give people too much choice. So many games that have way too many markings/colors/etc actually end up having all of their pets look muddy and samey despite there being so much customization.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I actually like Neopets' "one color" approach. I always loved seeing pets painted a certain color and then seeing how the owner interpreted/imagined their design with their own artwork. It really encouraged creativity imo (not saying FR or other games don't; obviously making designs on FR is very creative too)

FR strikes a good balance between both of those things, imo. I really like how dragon customization works on FR.

I'll make a nice signature eventually :(
so many users here are visibly gay and it's very accepting.

especially with all the lgbtq vistas that are just point blank named Lesbian Ribbon and Gay Ribbon. And there's no straight ribbon either lmao.

it's just nice.
so many users here are visibly gay and it's very accepting.

especially with all the lgbtq vistas that are just point blank named Lesbian Ribbon and Gay Ribbon. And there's no straight ribbon either lmao.

it's just nice.
Inspired.pngDetermined.pngShouting.pngSurprised.pngDizzy.pngSigh.pngInspired%5E.pngStunned%5E.pngDetermined%5E.pngSigh%5E.pngWorried%5E.pngJoyous%5E.png
buy my dragons ---> gen ones
buy more of my dragons --->hatchery
help me find my dream dragons ---> here
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9