Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why does FR succeed where others don't?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Big agree with the consistent content updates. The fact that FR has been able to put something new out at least once a month, in addition to regularly scheduled flight festivals and all the new content that brings in, for the past ten years is incredibly impressive and the artists deserve all the praise.

A big thing for me is the stable economy. The exalting system means dragons will always have a reasonable floor value. Most petsites that allow for unlimited breeding end up with a crashed pet economy because there's no incentive to remove pets. Dominance also helps with this, giving another incentive to exalt beyond just profit.

I also think the limited color wheel and primary/secondary/tertiary gene system helps a lot. It seems more common now that FR became the standard other petsites are measured against, but before FR most breeding sims used the entire hex value range and multiple layered genes. Unfortunately this meant that unless you were extremely selective about your breeding pairs, all offspring looked like an ugly mess. At least on FR, the worst you can do is an unmatchy xyz that still might look good with the right genes.
Big agree with the consistent content updates. The fact that FR has been able to put something new out at least once a month, in addition to regularly scheduled flight festivals and all the new content that brings in, for the past ten years is incredibly impressive and the artists deserve all the praise.

A big thing for me is the stable economy. The exalting system means dragons will always have a reasonable floor value. Most petsites that allow for unlimited breeding end up with a crashed pet economy because there's no incentive to remove pets. Dominance also helps with this, giving another incentive to exalt beyond just profit.

I also think the limited color wheel and primary/secondary/tertiary gene system helps a lot. It seems more common now that FR became the standard other petsites are measured against, but before FR most breeding sims used the entire hex value range and multiple layered genes. Unfortunately this meant that unless you were extremely selective about your breeding pairs, all offspring looked like an ugly mess. At least on FR, the worst you can do is an unmatchy xyz that still might look good with the right genes.
[quote name="astrojelly" date="2024-01-17 09:18:07" ] with fr the developers are very adamant about not making things pay 2 win, and generally things are possible to get while not throwing a single cent. sure, some stuff are harder to get than others, but it is possible without making you grind far more than any human can handle [/quote] this is my FAVORITE thing about fr to be honest. you can achieve stuff like buying a sprite without any real life monies, and you never feel lesser than those who do pay. this is a feature so many of the browser games i used to play lack, whether mostly or completely, and the difference in status and opportunities between players who can spend some money on the game and people like me who can't for a multitude of reasons was so upsetting to me it actively hindered my overall experience. but here? you can earn treasure and exchange it with others for gems within a fair trading system at any pace you want, and that's wonderful. ------i'm not familiar with most of the games from your [OP's] list, but for lioden/wolvden it might be the "harshness" of them. your "pets" can get sick, get old and die, and everything you've poured into them will be gone forever. whereas fr is a very casual "do whatever you want!" kind of thing, and there are always more people who are on the casual side than those who prefer something more challenging (i hope that doesn't come off as a negative statement haha, i'm a very casual player and i embrace it).
astrojelly wrote on 2024-01-17 09:18:07:
with fr the developers are very adamant about not making things pay 2 win, and generally things are possible to get while not throwing a single cent. sure, some stuff are harder to get than others, but it is possible without making you grind far more than any human can handle

this is my FAVORITE thing about fr to be honest. you can achieve stuff like buying a sprite without any real life monies, and you never feel lesser than those who do pay. this is a feature so many of the browser games i used to play lack, whether mostly or completely, and the difference in status and opportunities between players who can spend some money on the game and people like me who can't for a multitude of reasons was so upsetting to me it actively hindered my overall experience. but here? you can earn treasure and exchange it with others for gems within a fair trading system at any pace you want, and that's wonderful.
i'm not familiar with most of the games from your [OP's] list, but for lioden/wolvden it might be the "harshness" of them. your "pets" can get sick, get old and die, and everything you've poured into them will be gone forever. whereas fr is a very casual "do whatever you want!" kind of thing, and there are always more people who are on the casual side than those who prefer something more challenging (i hope that doesn't come off as a negative statement haha, i'm a very casual player and i embrace it).
4350.png hey there! i would appreciate any sci-fi book recommendations, hit me up if you feel like it! (unrelated to the picture of barry bee benson)
Here's why I like FR over other sites I've tried;

- For the most part items don't retire permanently. Even if you miss the event in many cases you can obtain the items later for reasonable amounts.

- Speaking of events, they are consistent. We know relatively when they will be, the length of time, and the general aesthetic of the event. Bonus points for making it easy to obtain most of the items even if you just pop on and do your dailies and not much else (like me!)

- People have mentioned paywalling, and that's also a huge bonus to me. I've never thrown a single bit of irl money at FR and I like it that way. Other sites end up where like sure you can be f2p but unless you can buy the monthly premium account you just kinda get left in the dust by those who can and it sucks.

- Generally speaking FR respects that most of us have lives outside the game. We have school or work or just don't wanna be online all the time. It takes me maybe an hour to do my dailies; do stuff on the Waystone, do the Pursuits, and max out the Fairgrounds. If I want to spend more time here I can, but honestly I'm good with my dailies and then popping in now and again to check Baldwin and Arlo's.

- Nothing bad happens if you take a hiatus. You might miss some events and updates, but if you get burnout and need to take a break it's relatively easy to catch back up compared to other websites when you can make a return.

- There's no right or wrong way to play FR as long as you aren't breaking site rules. People who are breeders, who hoard G1's, who max or don't max the fairgrounds, who coli or don't...it's all valid. And to some making their own goals/not having the site give them a sense of direction isn't their cup of tea, but for those of us who are here it is and it's great!

- While FR has premium currency there's a few differences from other sites that also have premium currency. Most notably you can earn the premium currency from basic gameplay, sell stuff on the marketplace for premium currency, trade premium currency between accounts, and anything you can buy with premium currency you can usually get for base currency too.

Problems I've had with other sites that FR doesn't have;

- Furvilla had unprofessional staff and released monthly items for premium currency that would retire/become unobtainable after the month was over which encouraged spending for premium currency and it was just annoying. I don't remember if you could get premium currency without spending irl money but I know you couldn't earn enough without spending to get all the items they released each month.

- Dappervolk quickly became annoying due to the gacha aspect (and they actually got in trouble over having their premium shop be a gacha!), the same issue of monthly items that would retire when the month was done, getting progress locked out of the main questline to unlock stuff for days at a time only to finally pass that gate and get a handful of steps further before being locked out again. Plus during their first event it was so clear they did not take feedback from their beta testers and it really felt like they wanted to make a mobile game with babysitting timers but for some reason made a website. Also they had premium currency you could earn through gameplay but you couldn't trade it between accounts which is why they got in trouble over the premium shop being a gacha.

- Tried Lorwolf but kinda felt like the tail end of the Dappervolk review from above; wanted you to basically babysit a timer and had way too much to do that wasn't explained well and it was just confusing.

- PFQ has the paywalling issue, if you can't afford their premium Hyper Mode then you're at such a huge disadvantage all over the site. And you can't earn their premium currency to buy the Hyper Mode and a few other items through regular gameplay you *have* to spend irl money to get it or trade with other people but the conversion is so expensive and you need so much of the currency it's rarely worth it.

All in all FR is doing a lot right compared to other sites, and I think that's why it's had such success and longevity.
Here's why I like FR over other sites I've tried;

- For the most part items don't retire permanently. Even if you miss the event in many cases you can obtain the items later for reasonable amounts.

- Speaking of events, they are consistent. We know relatively when they will be, the length of time, and the general aesthetic of the event. Bonus points for making it easy to obtain most of the items even if you just pop on and do your dailies and not much else (like me!)

- People have mentioned paywalling, and that's also a huge bonus to me. I've never thrown a single bit of irl money at FR and I like it that way. Other sites end up where like sure you can be f2p but unless you can buy the monthly premium account you just kinda get left in the dust by those who can and it sucks.

- Generally speaking FR respects that most of us have lives outside the game. We have school or work or just don't wanna be online all the time. It takes me maybe an hour to do my dailies; do stuff on the Waystone, do the Pursuits, and max out the Fairgrounds. If I want to spend more time here I can, but honestly I'm good with my dailies and then popping in now and again to check Baldwin and Arlo's.

- Nothing bad happens if you take a hiatus. You might miss some events and updates, but if you get burnout and need to take a break it's relatively easy to catch back up compared to other websites when you can make a return.

- There's no right or wrong way to play FR as long as you aren't breaking site rules. People who are breeders, who hoard G1's, who max or don't max the fairgrounds, who coli or don't...it's all valid. And to some making their own goals/not having the site give them a sense of direction isn't their cup of tea, but for those of us who are here it is and it's great!

- While FR has premium currency there's a few differences from other sites that also have premium currency. Most notably you can earn the premium currency from basic gameplay, sell stuff on the marketplace for premium currency, trade premium currency between accounts, and anything you can buy with premium currency you can usually get for base currency too.

Problems I've had with other sites that FR doesn't have;

- Furvilla had unprofessional staff and released monthly items for premium currency that would retire/become unobtainable after the month was over which encouraged spending for premium currency and it was just annoying. I don't remember if you could get premium currency without spending irl money but I know you couldn't earn enough without spending to get all the items they released each month.

- Dappervolk quickly became annoying due to the gacha aspect (and they actually got in trouble over having their premium shop be a gacha!), the same issue of monthly items that would retire when the month was done, getting progress locked out of the main questline to unlock stuff for days at a time only to finally pass that gate and get a handful of steps further before being locked out again. Plus during their first event it was so clear they did not take feedback from their beta testers and it really felt like they wanted to make a mobile game with babysitting timers but for some reason made a website. Also they had premium currency you could earn through gameplay but you couldn't trade it between accounts which is why they got in trouble over the premium shop being a gacha.

- Tried Lorwolf but kinda felt like the tail end of the Dappervolk review from above; wanted you to basically babysit a timer and had way too much to do that wasn't explained well and it was just confusing.

- PFQ has the paywalling issue, if you can't afford their premium Hyper Mode then you're at such a huge disadvantage all over the site. And you can't earn their premium currency to buy the Hyper Mode and a few other items through regular gameplay you *have* to spend irl money to get it or trade with other people but the conversion is so expensive and you need so much of the currency it's rarely worth it.

All in all FR is doing a lot right compared to other sites, and I think that's why it's had such success and longevity.
TW8ViqF.pngrix3ppo.png
Pings Welcome! Especially if you're quoting me XD
It would be a bit hard to reply to every post but I did READ everybody's post.

I totally hadn't taken into account how important the pay to win aspect of FR not being an issue was important and I'm glad people raised it! Same with there not being a real issue with taking a break from the game, it makes it a lot easier to come back.
It would be a bit hard to reply to every post but I did READ everybody's post.

I totally hadn't taken into account how important the pay to win aspect of FR not being an issue was important and I'm glad people raised it! Same with there not being a real issue with taking a break from the game, it makes it a lot easier to come back.
if you love dragon sites, i highly recommend dragon cave!

as for their success, for me, it's the fact you don't have to work your butt off to get premium currency. it's literally obtainable each day you play and the treasure to gem trading ratio is reasonable !!
if you love dragon sites, i highly recommend dragon cave!

as for their success, for me, it's the fact you don't have to work your butt off to get premium currency. it's literally obtainable each day you play and the treasure to gem trading ratio is reasonable !!
sh5xjiu.png
0XHtpWy.png
kI850Ts.png
HJLIYn4.png
mlHpBMC.png
32095602p.png
A lot of people have probably said the things I'm thinking, but as someone who has played several pet sims in my time I can agree with y'all on many points.

Paywalling is a serious issue in most sims I've played.
Half the stuff worth having or that makes the game significantly easier and more fun is locked behind premium currency that while technically obtainable, usually it's only via other players or like 1 at a time via some other tedious process if you don't want to spend real world money. I get that it's a business, but there's a point where you clearly care more about profit than providing a game that's actually fun.

Pets dying is another issue, honestly.
In more serious sims I get why, but it just puts me off. It's not for me and I'm sure that's the same for a lot of people. I want to collect guys, I want to make them pretty and cool, and you're just gonna like take them away from me or make them look completely different after a certain point? This sucks. Get out my house.

OH, and a lack of customization.
Plenty games can survive without it, I play Pokefarm and have for a few years yet it's not super customizable because it's Pokemon. But I'm not super engaged with it, I play extremely passively and don't touch most site features because it's tedious or boring. The fact it's very easy to gene and dress up my dragons, with almost complete control over what lore I write for them too, makes it very easy to care about them a lot. It's fun I love that I can basically achieve any dragon I want with the exception of breed-changed Imps or Gen1 Imps, and I can write whatever I want. And with a lot of easily accessible lore to go off of as well, FR is a great playground if you wanna really get creative!!

Plus, you're correct. Dragons are awesome. This is so much cooler than lions.
A lot of people have probably said the things I'm thinking, but as someone who has played several pet sims in my time I can agree with y'all on many points.

Paywalling is a serious issue in most sims I've played.
Half the stuff worth having or that makes the game significantly easier and more fun is locked behind premium currency that while technically obtainable, usually it's only via other players or like 1 at a time via some other tedious process if you don't want to spend real world money. I get that it's a business, but there's a point where you clearly care more about profit than providing a game that's actually fun.

Pets dying is another issue, honestly.
In more serious sims I get why, but it just puts me off. It's not for me and I'm sure that's the same for a lot of people. I want to collect guys, I want to make them pretty and cool, and you're just gonna like take them away from me or make them look completely different after a certain point? This sucks. Get out my house.

OH, and a lack of customization.
Plenty games can survive without it, I play Pokefarm and have for a few years yet it's not super customizable because it's Pokemon. But I'm not super engaged with it, I play extremely passively and don't touch most site features because it's tedious or boring. The fact it's very easy to gene and dress up my dragons, with almost complete control over what lore I write for them too, makes it very easy to care about them a lot. It's fun I love that I can basically achieve any dragon I want with the exception of breed-changed Imps or Gen1 Imps, and I can write whatever I want. And with a lot of easily accessible lore to go off of as well, FR is a great playground if you wanna really get creative!!

Plus, you're correct. Dragons are awesome. This is so much cooler than lions.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
these aren't fair comparisons because all of the other websites I've tried are super new but

Dappervolk
you kind of have to have a certain playstyle, i.e. following the quests if you want to get money (and after awhile you have to start grinding for points if you want to progress in the quests and that's the point that I gave up because it wasn't fun anymore). also the premium currency is near impossible to get. making outfits was fun but I'm super bored and haven't gone back in awhile

Pixel Cat's End
I think this is a great game! and the main problem is just the pets themselves. dragons here have SO much customization and you can make a dragon with any aesthetic and colours you want. but cat's end is currently limited to the colourings of normal cats, i.e. shades of white, black, and brown, so after awhile of getting cats they all tend to look the same

(to be fair this reminds me of how FR apparently just had a few completely plain genes with no accent colours. maybe if I joined in 2013 I would have been bored by the abysmal gene selection and found it boring too. I do think cat's end has the best prospects out of all of the other games I've tried, especially because they're adding in a new breed, mercats, soon, and I'm guess those will have more interesting colours!)

Lorwolf
this is the most similar to FR, but first off from what I've seen the market is kind of collapsed. from what I've heard this is because their version of exalting does not give you a substantial enough amount of currency, so wolf prices have absolutely crashed.

also this is a personal gripe but the search functions are so bad. I kind of wanted to buy some 5 digits wolves but there's no way to search for that on their version of the ah so you're forced to used the forums. I just kind of gave up. the only part of that website I find myself really liking is the daily tasks tbh but I don't even know to what end haha

idk maybe one day those sites will be as old as FR and they'll progress to be on the same level as this site. but as of this moment from what I've seen NOTHING can compare to this website :D
these aren't fair comparisons because all of the other websites I've tried are super new but

Dappervolk
you kind of have to have a certain playstyle, i.e. following the quests if you want to get money (and after awhile you have to start grinding for points if you want to progress in the quests and that's the point that I gave up because it wasn't fun anymore). also the premium currency is near impossible to get. making outfits was fun but I'm super bored and haven't gone back in awhile

Pixel Cat's End
I think this is a great game! and the main problem is just the pets themselves. dragons here have SO much customization and you can make a dragon with any aesthetic and colours you want. but cat's end is currently limited to the colourings of normal cats, i.e. shades of white, black, and brown, so after awhile of getting cats they all tend to look the same

(to be fair this reminds me of how FR apparently just had a few completely plain genes with no accent colours. maybe if I joined in 2013 I would have been bored by the abysmal gene selection and found it boring too. I do think cat's end has the best prospects out of all of the other games I've tried, especially because they're adding in a new breed, mercats, soon, and I'm guess those will have more interesting colours!)

Lorwolf
this is the most similar to FR, but first off from what I've seen the market is kind of collapsed. from what I've heard this is because their version of exalting does not give you a substantial enough amount of currency, so wolf prices have absolutely crashed.

also this is a personal gripe but the search functions are so bad. I kind of wanted to buy some 5 digits wolves but there's no way to search for that on their version of the ah so you're forced to used the forums. I just kind of gave up. the only part of that website I find myself really liking is the daily tasks tbh but I don't even know to what end haha

idk maybe one day those sites will be as old as FR and they'll progress to be on the same level as this site. but as of this moment from what I've seen NOTHING can compare to this website :D
~~~~ hello ^^ ~~~~
ara - 21 - she/any
pings and messages
always welcome :)
-
hh5n4WA.pngmlHpBMC.png
tqGkHih.png0XHtpWy.png
P4eo1Gw.png

---
Accent: petals of violet
500g/kt each
Everyone else has said great things, and I will also add the art style.

A lot of virtual pet sites, full confession, have inconsistent or downright terrible art (*cough*subeta*cough*). A lot of pet sites also rely on a very anime and/or heavily airbrushed art style that makes pet collecting unappealing, since you don't really want to look at your pets for that long.

FR is one of the few pet sites I've played that consistently has good art and the cel-shaded simplistic style is very clean and appealing to look at. We also get a lot of updates of older art on a regular basis, which helps with the consistency of the overall style.

A lot of virtual pet sites, full confession, have inconsistent or downright terrible art (*cough*subeta*cough*). A lot of pet sites also rely on a very anime and/or heavily airbrushed art style that makes pet collecting unappealing, since you don't really want to look at your pets for that long.

FR is one of the few pet sites I've played that consistently has good art and the cel-shaded simplistic style is very clean and appealing to look at. We also get a lot of updates of older art on a regular basis, which helps with the consistency of the overall style.
Hey, friendly reminder to drink water, stretch, and take a short break if you can. Stay healthy! Also, don't forget about any chores or tasks you might be putting off.
The really like how transparent the staff is when it comes to game development decisions. Even if they have to do something they know will be unpopular, they generally try to explain why they had to do it, how it will effect the long term health of the game and the effort it takes on the backend that players may not know about/ understand. I also like how they all jump on the forums from time to time just to have fun with us.

A few people have already mentioned it,
The artwork also keeps me here, I love dragons and not just the staff but FR has such an amazing art-friendly community. I've played all the big pet sites that have come out in the passed two years, none of them keep a hold on me like FR has managed. This place is home at this point.
The really like how transparent the staff is when it comes to game development decisions. Even if they have to do something they know will be unpopular, they generally try to explain why they had to do it, how it will effect the long term health of the game and the effort it takes on the backend that players may not know about/ understand. I also like how they all jump on the forums from time to time just to have fun with us.

A few people have already mentioned it,
The artwork also keeps me here, I love dragons and not just the staff but FR has such an amazing art-friendly community. I've played all the big pet sites that have come out in the passed two years, none of them keep a hold on me like FR has managed. This place is home at this point.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

[quote name="Iokharic" date="2024-01-17 12:48:08" ] Everyone else has said great things, and I will also add the art style. A lot of virtual pet sites, full confession, have inconsistent or downright terrible art (*cough*subeta*cough*) [/quote] Oh my goodness, you said it, you did it. I got into Dappervolk because it's art was pretty but so many sites have lackluster art lol. It's LITERALLY what these games revolve around.
Iokharic wrote on 2024-01-17 12:48:08:

A lot of virtual pet sites, full confession, have inconsistent or downright terrible art (*cough*subeta*cough*)
Oh my goodness, you said it, you did it. I got into Dappervolk because it's art was pretty but so many sites have lackluster art lol. It's LITERALLY what these games revolve around.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9