Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Is buying gems worth it?
1 2 3
I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on buying gems with real money before I do so. I was thinking on buying the 2150 option, and while it is rather expensive (I think) I don't think I necessarily have a problem with trying it out at least once. I wanted to gene my Progenitors for a project and since I came back from hiatus I thought it'd be a great way to motivate myself to play FR more often (not like I need to push myself to play, actually I'm really enjoying myself). I am also unsure if it's a waste of money for a game, though, because I never really spend real money on other games. Maybe I have once or twice, and I'm pretty sure I don't play those games anymore.

I just feel stuck. Should I think about it more or just do it? I will say I am leaning more towards buying gems because I haven't been making enough in game currency to help me with my projects haha.

Edit. Thank you to everyone who responded. I got a lot of opinions from both sides and it really helps.
I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on buying gems with real money before I do so. I was thinking on buying the 2150 option, and while it is rather expensive (I think) I don't think I necessarily have a problem with trying it out at least once. I wanted to gene my Progenitors for a project and since I came back from hiatus I thought it'd be a great way to motivate myself to play FR more often (not like I need to push myself to play, actually I'm really enjoying myself). I am also unsure if it's a waste of money for a game, though, because I never really spend real money on other games. Maybe I have once or twice, and I'm pretty sure I don't play those games anymore.

I just feel stuck. Should I think about it more or just do it? I will say I am leaning more towards buying gems because I haven't been making enough in game currency to help me with my projects haha.

Edit. Thank you to everyone who responded. I got a lot of opinions from both sides and it really helps.
Buying gems does help with goals but spending IRL money should always be under your discretion :] If you have enough money and you wanna do it, then go for it!

You can always gain gems from other ways such as selling stuff in the Auction House or doing art-related shops (Accentmaking, Adoptables, Commissions, etc). There are very many players in-game that have a bunch of gems sitting in their vault and haven't even spent a single cent nor dollar on the game.

I myself have spent a lot of money on the game to support the devs + get a nice treat from myself time to time. It's not life changing but it does make gene projects and such a little more easier ^^
Buying gems does help with goals but spending IRL money should always be under your discretion :] If you have enough money and you wanna do it, then go for it!

You can always gain gems from other ways such as selling stuff in the Auction House or doing art-related shops (Accentmaking, Adoptables, Commissions, etc). There are very many players in-game that have a bunch of gems sitting in their vault and haven't even spent a single cent nor dollar on the game.

I myself have spent a lot of money on the game to support the devs + get a nice treat from myself time to time. It's not life changing but it does make gene projects and such a little more easier ^^
A blue lantern with yellow glass swings left to right as rainbow dust swirls around it. Clicking this will bring you to the creator's profile. ___ « Ash (21)
« Clan Lore
« F2U Pixels
« Art Shop
« FAQ/Wishlist
_____
pmCmV6u.pngWjoRtbD.pngDWI9puz.pnge2wlrBb.pnggtSdXdC.pngQoMzhWb.png5rXrC4x.pngnxZGTXG.png8UYUyIT.png
back when I first joined FR, I would buy $10 of gems every other month. It made it easier for me to buy older stuff that I'd missed, and it supported the game developers who I really appreciate. When I consider how many hours of gameplay I do on FR every month, it's cheap for the price.

Now that I've met my long term goals and am mostly using my dragon cash for UMAs, I don't buy gems as regularly--mostly whenever they give bonus gems and/or cycle gem items in the marketplace.
back when I first joined FR, I would buy $10 of gems every other month. It made it easier for me to buy older stuff that I'd missed, and it supported the game developers who I really appreciate. When I consider how many hours of gameplay I do on FR every month, it's cheap for the price.

Now that I've met my long term goals and am mostly using my dragon cash for UMAs, I don't buy gems as regularly--mostly whenever they give bonus gems and/or cycle gem items in the marketplace.
38046009796_f6a0057f92_n.jpg
I buy gems when I can afford to, because I like to support this game and its developers. If anything, I feel bad that I dont buy ENOUGH gems because they gave us this game for free. I get a lot of joy from this game, and I am grateful for it.
I buy gems when I can afford to, because I like to support this game and its developers. If anything, I feel bad that I dont buy ENOUGH gems because they gave us this game for free. I get a lot of joy from this game, and I am grateful for it.
Copy-of-Hib-Den-2.png
It really depends on what you want to purchase.

A lot can be done with treasure, and anyone can earn a 75kt daily 'allowance' by playing the fairgrounds. (I recommend the guides on playing Glimmer and Gloom on Hard or Very Hard mode)

The things I spend gems on are mostly UMAs and adoptable commissions. UMAs are usually around the 500g+ price point, and art commissions understandably follow the USD conversion rate of $5.00 = 500g = 500kt

I'd be happy to pay in USD for art commissions outside of FR, so I'm fine with paying in USD or premium FRC for these.

In any case, I buy gems when FR has a sale with bonus gems tossed in.
It really depends on what you want to purchase.

A lot can be done with treasure, and anyone can earn a 75kt daily 'allowance' by playing the fairgrounds. (I recommend the guides on playing Glimmer and Gloom on Hard or Very Hard mode)

The things I spend gems on are mostly UMAs and adoptable commissions. UMAs are usually around the 500g+ price point, and art commissions understandably follow the USD conversion rate of $5.00 = 500g = 500kt

I'd be happy to pay in USD for art commissions outside of FR, so I'm fine with paying in USD or premium FRC for these.

In any case, I buy gems when FR has a sale with bonus gems tossed in.
808c18Q.png xx tumblr_inline_p81uu8gwRs1tsrqpm_75sq.gif xxxx

M8su11D.gif Mármol
xxxxshe/her

xxxxSales Thread
xxxx[LF] Bright Pastel dragons
xxx
The exchange rate for gems to treasure is 1:1000. With Glimmer and Gloom, selling things that you get from the Coliseum, and other methods it's easy to build up a stack of treasure to convert to gems in the Items for Trade forum. I've never needed to buy gems, and I've gotten quite a few Glimmers back in the day and Kois recently.

I have an offsite list of my projects that I have broken down by dragon. It helps me pace myself with spending, saving. There's also a few ideas I have on what I can sell to boost my funds, outside of gems to treasure conversion. It's on my profile page if you want to take a look.
The exchange rate for gems to treasure is 1:1000. With Glimmer and Gloom, selling things that you get from the Coliseum, and other methods it's easy to build up a stack of treasure to convert to gems in the Items for Trade forum. I've never needed to buy gems, and I've gotten quite a few Glimmers back in the day and Kois recently.

I have an offsite list of my projects that I have broken down by dragon. It helps me pace myself with spending, saving. There's also a few ideas I have on what I can sell to boost my funds, outside of gems to treasure conversion. It's on my profile page if you want to take a look.
Dom-Shop-Link.png?rlkey=ts1tscej29cs0kt4g6wt9c37d&dl=0.png 1428_150px_istoki_by_miirshroom-dbzlzj5.png Lore-Thread-Link.png?rlkey=clnaiehtq32jzyvwmgq07ek0n&dl=0.png
I have a rule that forbids me from spending money on premium currency on any site that I've taken a long hiatus from or haven't been apart of for at least a year of continuous play. If the content provides me entertainment enough to capture my continuous attention for the long stretch I'd say a few dollars here and there are well spent. Otherwise? Save it for something that is more captivating.
I have a rule that forbids me from spending money on premium currency on any site that I've taken a long hiatus from or haven't been apart of for at least a year of continuous play. If the content provides me entertainment enough to capture my continuous attention for the long stretch I'd say a few dollars here and there are well spent. Otherwise? Save it for something that is more captivating.
It's very possible to play and fully enjoy the site without buying gems. I've done so for years and years. I've only bought gems once, $100 worth. It was more about supporting the site than a good value.. gems are very expensive for what you get. I don't like to tie a real life monetary value to gems.

Any sort of usage of gems supports the site, because someone paid for them, at some point. Sure, the site generates a few gems per player per day too, but the vast majority have been paid for by someone. (daily login generates 1 gem, opening iron and gilded treasure chests generates gems, sometimes when exalting a dragon you might get 1-2 gems)
It's very possible to play and fully enjoy the site without buying gems. I've done so for years and years. I've only bought gems once, $100 worth. It was more about supporting the site than a good value.. gems are very expensive for what you get. I don't like to tie a real life monetary value to gems.

Any sort of usage of gems supports the site, because someone paid for them, at some point. Sure, the site generates a few gems per player per day too, but the vast majority have been paid for by someone. (daily login generates 1 gem, opening iron and gilded treasure chests generates gems, sometimes when exalting a dragon you might get 1-2 gems)
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
I've never bought gems with $USD because trading for them with in-game Treasure is very accessible.

I think the questions you should be asking yourself are, "Do I like FR? Do I think they deserve a $USD donation for gems? Do I want to make that donation? Do I have the means of making that donation without spending irresponsibly?"

From an ease-to-acquire-with-in-game-currency standpoint, buying gems with $USD isn't "worth it". But from a standpoint of supporting the site, the only one who can decide if it's worth it is you. I always tip my hat off to people who spend their money on gems to support development.
I've never bought gems with $USD because trading for them with in-game Treasure is very accessible.

I think the questions you should be asking yourself are, "Do I like FR? Do I think they deserve a $USD donation for gems? Do I want to make that donation? Do I have the means of making that donation without spending irresponsibly?"

From an ease-to-acquire-with-in-game-currency standpoint, buying gems with $USD isn't "worth it". But from a standpoint of supporting the site, the only one who can decide if it's worth it is you. I always tip my hat off to people who spend their money on gems to support development.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
I finally bought some gems last summer after playing for 9 years (on and off) because my real financial situation changed and I thought it would be nice. I didn't have anything in particular I was really going for, but I did buy myself a few nice things and save the rest.

A big part of this game is grinding for money to do things... If you find yourself wanting to skip that part by paying money, are you going to be in the exact same situation again when it's gone? Or will it be a nice treat, and then you can go back and enjoy all the parts of the game again?
I finally bought some gems last summer after playing for 9 years (on and off) because my real financial situation changed and I thought it would be nice. I didn't have anything in particular I was really going for, but I did buy myself a few nice things and save the rest.

A big part of this game is grinding for money to do things... If you find yourself wanting to skip that part by paying money, are you going to be in the exact same situation again when it's gone? Or will it be a nice treat, and then you can go back and enjoy all the parts of the game again?
Flamerest Embers Fir Branch Grouse Basilisk Field Notes Fishing Net Leafy Impression
1 2 3