Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What's an invasive species in your area?
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18
[quote name="Tossalor" date="2023-12-17 23:12:13" ] Grey squirrels are a danger to the smaller, red squirrels around here [/quote] Yes this!! We have Grey Squirrels over here in the UK as well and they've been making Red Squirrels pretty rare, in fact, I don't even recall ever seeing one in the wild whilst I've seen Grey Squirrels plenty of times, so that just proves it Red Squirrels are native to the UK too so it's honestly pretty sad to see the population decreasing because of Grey Squirrels tbh
Tossalor wrote on 2023-12-17 23:12:13:
Grey squirrels are a danger to the smaller, red squirrels around here

Yes this!! We have Grey Squirrels over here in the UK as well and they've been making Red Squirrels pretty rare, in fact, I don't even recall ever seeing one in the wild whilst I've seen Grey Squirrels plenty of times, so that just proves it

Red Squirrels are native to the UK too so it's honestly pretty sad to see the population decreasing because of Grey Squirrels tbh
75166122_VZYp9DEPHPhPQoY.png 63854292_WsxXCfbzeWT8ESA.png 75166122_VZYp9DEPHPhPQoY.png

fLdYOuE.pngpIlgc2u.pngRkXJJ5L.pngmtHAEL4.pngbYt72YT.pngQUIpVFE.png
jbMLSIO.pngleo4ZYP.pngC3gPKb3.png66wxnCy.pngrUoKR6y.pngll0CfnD.png
me.

I appear where I'm unwanted, eat scraps, and chase dogs in my neighborhood
me.

I appear where I'm unwanted, eat scraps, and chase dogs in my neighborhood
Grey squirrels for me. There are actually so many of these squirrels everywhere, my cat sits there almost daily staring at them through the window. They are extremely common in the UK.
Grey squirrels for me. There are actually so many of these squirrels everywhere, my cat sits there almost daily staring at them through the window. They are extremely common in the UK.
Not a joke: grass, particularly bluegrass. It takes FAR too much water to maintain, it's unnatural to have a yard full of it, and yet it's everywhere. Golf courses need to be burnt and replanted with native species of grasses, plants, and shrubs, and yards should be repurposed to serve as gardens.
Not a joke: grass, particularly bluegrass. It takes FAR too much water to maintain, it's unnatural to have a yard full of it, and yet it's everywhere. Golf courses need to be burnt and replanted with native species of grasses, plants, and shrubs, and yards should be repurposed to serve as gardens.
cSckuMi.png BqIFphl.png
Hemlock
Hemlock

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
goldfish lol, they grow to be big as small dragons and destroy ecologies

we also have norway maples which take up a ton of root and sun real estate so the native maples can't grow which really sucks

agreeing also about grey squirrels, they are much bigger than our native black squirrels and i see on a day to day how bad they bully the black squirrels
goldfish lol, they grow to be big as small dragons and destroy ecologies

we also have norway maples which take up a ton of root and sun real estate so the native maples can't grow which really sucks

agreeing also about grey squirrels, they are much bigger than our native black squirrels and i see on a day to day how bad they bully the black squirrels
moon_phase_pixel_divider_by_gorgeus_hybrid-dazr5ty.png
I'm a field botany tech so I could talk all day about my least favorite invasive plants to deal with, but there's just something about [i]Lathyrus latifolius[/i] that makes me angry. It's a climber, it's a vine, it's got these ugly too-bright pink flowers and flat leaves, and it's weird that people plant it ornamentally. Not its fault, I know, and there are no ""pristine"" environments on the planet, but it's unfortunate that invasives are just one extra thing that native plants have to contend with aside from things like climate change and habitat destruction ahah. [img]https://www.cabidigitallibrary.org/cms/10.1079/cabicompendium.31584/asset/f532cf36-0faa-4f55-9e93-fe9a30805861/assets/graphic/31583_03.jpg[/img]
I'm a field botany tech so I could talk all day about my least favorite invasive plants to deal with, but there's just something about Lathyrus latifolius that makes me angry. It's a climber, it's a vine, it's got these ugly too-bright pink flowers and flat leaves, and it's weird that people plant it ornamentally.

Not its fault, I know, and there are no ""pristine"" environments on the planet, but it's unfortunate that invasives are just one extra thing that native plants have to contend with aside from things like climate change and habitat destruction ahah.

31583_03.jpg

4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
Fire ants! A lot of signs have appeared around my area in the past month or two about fire ant treatment going on in the area
Fire ants! A lot of signs have appeared around my area in the past month or two about fire ant treatment going on in the area
_________ CkbRBhK.gif _ Moondyne | fr time +17 | "If it's meant to happen it'll happen anyway"
Wine berries. They're edible and look similar to raspberries. They're pretty tasty! But unfortunately not native to my area.
Wine berries. They're edible and look similar to raspberries. They're pretty tasty! But unfortunately not native to my area.
Scotch broom is quite literally everywhere in my hometown. It used to be a logging area, so now almost the entire place is the perfect place for it to grow. We also have a bit of a problem with giant hogweed, but it's way easier to control than the scotch broom. This image isn't from my hometown, but it gives a really good idea on how bad it is. [img]https://crosscut.com/sites/default/files/styles/max_2000x2000/public/images/articles/200520_scotch_broom_census_hero.jpg[/img]
Scotch broom is quite literally everywhere in my hometown. It used to be a logging area, so now almost the entire place is the perfect place for it to grow. We also have a bit of a problem with giant hogweed, but it's way easier to control than the scotch broom.

This image isn't from my hometown, but it gives a really good idea on how bad it is.
200520_scotch_broom_census_hero.jpg
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18