Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Fiber Arts Club!
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
I'm new, and I've been lurking, but I wanted to share my latest obsession with brioche: [img]https://i.imgur.com/uzvlaJ1.jpg[/img] This is a gift, so it's just one color that's kind of plain (if it was for me, it would be two-color in brilliant jewel tones, lol!). Even though it's plain for me, it's soooo squishy! I avoided trying brioche for years because I could never decipher the written directions. Then I took a course that explained everything very simply, and I'm off and running!
I'm new, and I've been lurking, but I wanted to share my latest obsession with brioche:
uzvlaJ1.jpg

This is a gift, so it's just one color that's kind of plain (if it was for me, it would be two-color in brilliant jewel tones, lol!). Even though it's plain for me, it's soooo squishy!

I avoided trying brioche for years because I could never decipher the written directions. Then I took a course that explained everything very simply, and I'm off and running!
7D2Bfod.png CEeOKXu.pngQYQzh1v.pngon1tEq5.png
@Casilica that looks so soft, and it is a very nice grey also your post made me wanna try knitting brioche. so i looked up a tutorial and found a really simple one on youtube. it ended up being easier than i thought. definitely easier for me than fisherman's rib which according to the internet is supposed to be the easier version [img]https://i.imgur.com/rTgUCWs.jpg[/img] here is a little practice square I've made so far
@Casilica

that looks so soft, and it is a very nice grey

also your post made me wanna try knitting brioche. so i looked up a tutorial and found a really simple one on youtube. it ended up being easier than i thought. definitely easier for me than fisherman's rib which according to the internet is supposed to be the easier version

rTgUCWs.jpg

here is a little practice square I've made so far
Wn94zHr.png
dEe2UrM.png
sQMcqHN.png
TdTJOrw.png........
old-oaks-2.png
@Robotzebra Love it! Isn't it marvelously squishy? I agree, I think brioche knitting is easier than fisherman's rib, but I didn't want to say without trying it. I think the hard part of brioche is setting it up and then understanding what you're supposed to do with the yarn overs. But once you've got that, it's pretty straightforward. Here's the practice cowl I did (still unfinished, sigh) for the class. I was surprised that brioche in the round with two colors is actually simpler than knitting flat since you just change yarn colors for each round and don't have to worry about sliding your work down the needle. You can also see a mistake I made when I was still figuring out how the yarnovers and brioche stitches worked, lol. [img]https://i.imgur.com/3xm8XSr.jpg[/img]
@Robotzebra

Love it! Isn't it marvelously squishy?

I agree, I think brioche knitting is easier than fisherman's rib, but I didn't want to say without trying it. I think the hard part of brioche is setting it up and then understanding what you're supposed to do with the yarn overs. But once you've got that, it's pretty straightforward.

Here's the practice cowl I did (still unfinished, sigh) for the class. I was surprised that brioche in the round with two colors is actually simpler than knitting flat since you just change yarn colors for each round and don't have to worry about sliding your work down the needle. You can also see a mistake I made when I was still figuring out how the yarnovers and brioche stitches worked, lol.
3xm8XSr.jpg
7D2Bfod.png CEeOKXu.pngQYQzh1v.pngon1tEq5.png
@Casilica

it is so squishy.

Neat, i'm afraid of trying something like that at the moment. i still haven't figured out knitting in the round yet. but yeah that does sound like it would simplify things darn those colours, makes it so easy to spot the mistakes lol.
@Casilica

it is so squishy.

Neat, i'm afraid of trying something like that at the moment. i still haven't figured out knitting in the round yet. but yeah that does sound like it would simplify things darn those colours, makes it so easy to spot the mistakes lol.
Wn94zHr.png
dEe2UrM.png
sQMcqHN.png
TdTJOrw.png........
old-oaks-2.png
also started a new project on a whim today. These slippers/socks were made by my grandma. and i wanna try making my own. it was pretty fun figuring out how they were made. it is basically a long piece of "squares" and the 2 loose squares sewn together [img]https://i.imgur.com/6NlserO.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Vev64Xr.jpg[/img]
also

started a new project on a whim today.

These slippers/socks were made by my grandma. and i wanna try making my own. it was pretty fun figuring out how they were made. it is basically a long piece of "squares" and the 2 loose squares sewn together

6NlserO.jpg
Vev64Xr.jpg
Wn94zHr.png
dEe2UrM.png
sQMcqHN.png
TdTJOrw.png........
old-oaks-2.png
arrrrrrr ive been wanting to redo a sweater idea from rainbow yarn, dismantled my initial attempt at it cos it was a bit too wide for my liking (i freehanded it)..... at this point pondering if to make it a sweater or something else (poncho ?), who knows

no pics rn cos im on the work comp, shh

my recentmost project was some crochet wings that can be put onto some hat or other, and they're light-up...! might share a pic or few sometime.
arrrrrrr ive been wanting to redo a sweater idea from rainbow yarn, dismantled my initial attempt at it cos it was a bit too wide for my liking (i freehanded it)..... at this point pondering if to make it a sweater or something else (poncho ?), who knows

no pics rn cos im on the work comp, shh

my recentmost project was some crochet wings that can be put onto some hat or other, and they're light-up...! might share a pic or few sometime.
a minimal doodle of a charcoal/periwinkle imperial with some matchy apparel lounging, with the text 'wow...' near her head she/her / frt+10

"have you tried drink water"
Brioche looks so nice and I realised that's what one of the projects I've adopted is about! (for context: A colleague of mine gave me a box load of yarn and unfinished projects) The recent project I've finished is this Balloon dog! [img]https://i.imgur.com/0pIqxTI.jpg[/img] Now... I need to work on my unfinished shawl/blanket
Brioche looks so nice and I realised that's what one of the projects I've adopted is about! (for context: A colleague of mine gave me a box load of yarn and unfinished projects)

The recent project I've finished is this Balloon dog!
0pIqxTI.jpg

Now... I need to work on my unfinished shawl/blanket
EVz0MRA.gifHGFalseItemBadge.pngFIBER_ARTS_CLUB_BADGE.png7wIcn90.png
oh I also have a brioche WIP!!!! no photos to hand of it, but have the cardigan I'm working on [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1129527862991540244/1179539560154288270/IMG_3965.jpg[/img]
oh I also have a brioche WIP!!!!

no photos to hand of it, but have the cardigan I'm working on

IMG_3965.jpg
Orq Art
dwf.png
ok, scoured up a previously-uploaded pic of the light-up wings i mentioned - i have em tied to a mesh cap of mine right now but i have a whole hat to match the wings too (self-indulgent fanproject, but i'm shy about the hat right now + would still want to add some sort of warmer lining to it) [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1121198992731152385/1155230988608213213/20230923_223208.jpg[/img] i had to crochet one of the wings entirely in reverse with my nondominant hand to make it match the other, it near rewired my brain. the light-up bit is just some coiled-up led-light wiring sewn to felt backing (+ i also sewed pockets onto the backing for the battery compartments)
ok, scoured up a previously-uploaded pic of the light-up wings i mentioned - i have em tied to a mesh cap of mine right now but i have a whole hat to match the wings too (self-indulgent fanproject, but i'm shy about the hat right now + would still want to add some sort of warmer lining to it)

20230923_223208.jpg

i had to crochet one of the wings entirely in reverse with my nondominant hand to make it match the other, it near rewired my brain.
the light-up bit is just some coiled-up led-light wiring sewn to felt backing (+ i also sewed pockets onto the backing for the battery compartments)
a minimal doodle of a charcoal/periwinkle imperial with some matchy apparel lounging, with the text 'wow...' near her head she/her / frt+10

"have you tried drink water"
Hello all! I am in love with crochet and have been doing that for awhile now but I would love to branch out in more fiber arts as well.
Hello all! I am in love with crochet and have been doing that for awhile now but I would love to branch out in more fiber arts as well.
qEDPfrb.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17