Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Auraboa Lore is Such a Horror Story
1 2 3 4
I honestly thought the lore super cute <3
I honestly thought the lore super cute <3
SIG-02.png
The Auraboa lore kinda rocks. It's the most I've enjoyed a new ancient's lore in a while.
The Auraboa lore kinda rocks. It's the most I've enjoyed a new ancient's lore in a while.
3sBLd.gif?5g6Xz=party.png
I can barely begin to comprehend how they must speak if time is non-linear. Do they avoid temporal language entirely? Go on tangents to account for every known state of something? When you're a hive-mind connected to a centuries-old, ambiguously sapient tree, what does "long" or "short" even mean? Do they talk about what other Auraboa have done as if they did it? It's incredibly fascinating.
I can barely begin to comprehend how they must speak if time is non-linear. Do they avoid temporal language entirely? Go on tangents to account for every known state of something? When you're a hive-mind connected to a centuries-old, ambiguously sapient tree, what does "long" or "short" even mean? Do they talk about what other Auraboa have done as if they did it? It's incredibly fascinating.
Lupine||Xb6XvIZ.pngomhr10R.pnglAvpyOQ.pngJ7D1quC.pngn29EMdP.png
food_bloody_snapdragon_by_dogi_crimson-dag65m2.gif
~~
Nature Worldbuilding/Lore
Writing/Lore Shop
???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please be gentle with me, I get stressed and anxious easily, and don't always pick up on meanings or social cues. I'm very detail-oriented & like to have all information possible before proceeding.
I can't help but link to this scene from Star Trek DS9 for anyone who wants inspiration for Auraboas. There's more parts that should be found in the sidebar.

It features a human who was brought into the dimension of an alien race that don't experience linear time. The rest of the scene is about him trying to explain what he is to them. It's the first episode of the show.
I can't help but link to this scene from Star Trek DS9 for anyone who wants inspiration for Auraboas. There's more parts that should be found in the sidebar.

It features a human who was brought into the dimension of an alien race that don't experience linear time. The rest of the scene is about him trying to explain what he is to them. It's the first episode of the show.
[quote name="Teeka" date="2023-11-22 13:32:46" ] When I read that I loved how alien they were, but I know that was also a contributing factor to what made them upsetting for a lot of people. [/quote] Was it even a [i]lot[/i] of people? I've seen one, three-page, frozen thread (that was mostly debating whether the head crests were too close to Native headdresses rather than discussing the lore) and that's about it. The staff's dedication to avoiding harm is laudable, but sometimes it feels like they're a little overly anxious about it, if that makes sense? It sounds like the plan is to expand upon what we got about them instead of changing it outright, but I don't blame you for being worried.
Teeka wrote on 2023-11-22 13:32:46:

When I read that I loved how alien they were, but I know that was also a contributing factor to what made them upsetting for a lot of people.

Was it even a lot of people? I've seen one, three-page, frozen thread (that was mostly debating whether the head crests were too close to Native headdresses rather than discussing the lore) and that's about it.

The staff's dedication to avoiding harm is laudable, but sometimes it feels like they're a little overly anxious about it, if that makes sense? It sounds like the plan is to expand upon what we got about them instead of changing it outright, but I don't blame you for being worried.
Chewy Tentacle
Honestly, the entire idea of the Auraboa hivemind never really freaked me out in an Eldritch Horror sort of way.

In my mind, it kinda works like one of those nonlinear storytelling films that Christopher Nolan likes to make.

If you ever watched Tenet, Memento, or more recently, Oppenheimer, you'll see events jump back between the past and the present all the time. Events just switch across time, mainly to bring context or to connect everything back together in the end.

Auraboas probably think in a similar way. Past /present info is used in tandem to communicate, and there isn't a differentiation between those two.

And tbh, as we humans are used to linear time, most of us aren't going to understand Tenet in the first few watches. But with patience, we might decipher the meaning. You could probably learn to communicate with an Auraboa, but you'll need to work at it.
Honestly, the entire idea of the Auraboa hivemind never really freaked me out in an Eldritch Horror sort of way.

In my mind, it kinda works like one of those nonlinear storytelling films that Christopher Nolan likes to make.

If you ever watched Tenet, Memento, or more recently, Oppenheimer, you'll see events jump back between the past and the present all the time. Events just switch across time, mainly to bring context or to connect everything back together in the end.

Auraboas probably think in a similar way. Past /present info is used in tandem to communicate, and there isn't a differentiation between those two.

And tbh, as we humans are used to linear time, most of us aren't going to understand Tenet in the first few watches. But with patience, we might decipher the meaning. You could probably learn to communicate with an Auraboa, but you'll need to work at it.
Treesixer: Payback on Plague
@InsanityPrelude I mean, the staff also delete comments that are about religious/politics stuff, and anything sent via Contact Us is obviously not visible on the front-end, so while I saw quite a few concerned people yesterday, I don't know if the concerned comments are still up.

...and honestly, with how touchy a subject this can be, I don't know what your minimum amount of concerned people would be? Like... how many people have to say, "Hey! Ow! That hurts!" before action needs to be taken? It's a bit of a philosophical quandary, but... also maybe not one to fully get into on pixel-dragon-forums, eh?
@InsanityPrelude I mean, the staff also delete comments that are about religious/politics stuff, and anything sent via Contact Us is obviously not visible on the front-end, so while I saw quite a few concerned people yesterday, I don't know if the concerned comments are still up.

...and honestly, with how touchy a subject this can be, I don't know what your minimum amount of concerned people would be? Like... how many people have to say, "Hey! Ow! That hurts!" before action needs to be taken? It's a bit of a philosophical quandary, but... also maybe not one to fully get into on pixel-dragon-forums, eh?
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

No wonder they paniced like an anthill, especially when considering what happend in The Seed and the Sickness, with Liefa fusing with the First Seed to contain it and now is on her way to The Behemoth

OH BOI, THINGS ARE REALLY SHAKEN UP

Bet The Behemoth itself has been changed due to the Bounty of Elements, this will be insane!

Also hilarious how a Nature Ancient Lore gets me as a Plagueling so riled up! I love that Chaos!
I absolutely love it as well, this sort of Hivemind suddenly experiences hatchlings which are partially disconnected from it and/or even the Behemoth itself.

No wonder they paniced like an anthill, especially when considering what happend in The Seed and the Sickness, with Liefa fusing with the First Seed to contain it and now is on her way to The Behemoth

OH BOI, THINGS ARE REALLY SHAKEN UP

Bet The Behemoth itself has been changed due to the Bounty of Elements, this will be insane!

Also hilarious how a Nature Ancient Lore gets me as a Plagueling so riled up! I love that Chaos!
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__
f44Zu0R.gif

I really like it too, it's def my favorite ancient lore so far. The cuter stuff is fun but not really my vibe, so for the most part I ignore site lore, but this was really cool. I love the idea of a species of dragon being so alien :) should be more of that.
I really like it too, it's def my favorite ancient lore so far. The cuter stuff is fun but not really my vibe, so for the most part I ignore site lore, but this was really cool. I love the idea of a species of dragon being so alien :) should be more of that.
i believe that you believe there is a heaven
where you belong.
he/him
I actually really like the inclusion of a breed that experiences time in a nonlinear fashion. When I read the lore, my first thought was a memory of the movie Arrival (2016). It features a similar concept.

The whole topic of time is actually really interesting, but it delves far deeper into physics than I care to get into on the forums. It's not specific to any one culture, either. I'd recommend anyone feeling suspicious of the whole Auraboa nonlinear time thing specifically to look into time as it is defined in physics and general relativity ^^
I actually really like the inclusion of a breed that experiences time in a nonlinear fashion. When I read the lore, my first thought was a memory of the movie Arrival (2016). It features a similar concept.

The whole topic of time is actually really interesting, but it delves far deeper into physics than I care to get into on the forums. It's not specific to any one culture, either. I'd recommend anyone feeling suspicious of the whole Auraboa nonlinear time thing specifically to look into time as it is defined in physics and general relativity ^^
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about
1 2 3 4