Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Don't limit pings - it'll destroy tools
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Support! Losing all of these community made tools would be such a shame especially with how much effort went into making them. ive only used the GASP list but its so extensive and such an amazing tool and just goes to show how creative and intuitive the community is. i worry too that even switching over to on site pinglists from the GASP setup will be annoying because of how automated it is now.. i cant imagine how many separate pinglists id have to sign up for to redo all the themes and whatnot that i subbed to on the GASP list.. ive never seen an issue with people just randomly pinging masses of users just for fun so i really dont understand where that concern came from.

EDIT: Just realized something else I'd like to add! I co-run a hatchery with my husband, and we both make separate update posts. It's going to make things really complicated if only one of us is able to control and ping the pinglist now, putting all the work on just one of us to post updates. Having pinglists that whole communities can use or even just a few selected users are able to control is definitely a must, especially with the amount of dom projects and hatcheries that are run by multiple people. It's hard to work together as a community when only one person is able to do all the pinging!
Support! Losing all of these community made tools would be such a shame especially with how much effort went into making them. ive only used the GASP list but its so extensive and such an amazing tool and just goes to show how creative and intuitive the community is. i worry too that even switching over to on site pinglists from the GASP setup will be annoying because of how automated it is now.. i cant imagine how many separate pinglists id have to sign up for to redo all the themes and whatnot that i subbed to on the GASP list.. ive never seen an issue with people just randomly pinging masses of users just for fun so i really dont understand where that concern came from.

EDIT: Just realized something else I'd like to add! I co-run a hatchery with my husband, and we both make separate update posts. It's going to make things really complicated if only one of us is able to control and ping the pinglist now, putting all the work on just one of us to post updates. Having pinglists that whole communities can use or even just a few selected users are able to control is definitely a must, especially with the amount of dom projects and hatcheries that are run by multiple people. It's hard to work together as a community when only one person is able to do all the pinging!
GlDuHm9%20small.png lCK29fT.png
MUYNhfy.png
eswSnrS.png
bYt72YT.png
jccRWgS.png
mlHpBMC.png
bio%20rootrot%20hatchery.png
@Alkhor not now, but yes essentially. you won't be able to ping more than 12* (unless staff decide to change that number) people without using the site feature
@Alkhor not now, but yes essentially. you won't be able to ping more than 12* (unless staff decide to change that number) people without using the site feature
6h4Ol4n.pngXiejUgd.pngvJUVQ0t.pngcGS2SD8.png
[quote name="@windowsXP" date="2023-10-27 09:47:46" ] Alkhor not now, but yes essentially. you won't be able to ping more than 12* (unless staff decide to change that number) people without using the site feature [/quote] Wait what? But I saw new pings contain more then 12! Or new pings ping with no limit but manual with limit? What happens when you tyep more then 12 @"names"? Edit: saw they rise it to 50. But this still looks not enough for big lists like global skins or oldies or ID ect. Where easily include hundreds of players in ping.
@windowsXP wrote on 2023-10-27 09:47:46:
Alkhor not now, but yes essentially. you won't be able to ping more than 12* (unless staff decide to change that number) people without using the site feature
Wait what? But I saw new pings contain more then 12!
Or new pings ping with no limit but manual with limit? What happens when you tyep more then 12 @"names"?

Edit: saw they rise it to 50.
But this still looks not enough for big lists like global skins or oldies or ID ect. Where easily include hundreds of players in ping.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
Support.

I am on the GASP pinglist - and while my interests are pretty stereotypical, I would still absolutely hate having to be pinged for every single skin.

I won't repeat what everyone else has said, but removing mass pings is a terrible, terrible idea.
Support.

I am on the GASP pinglist - and while my interests are pretty stereotypical, I would still absolutely hate having to be pinged for every single skin.

I won't repeat what everyone else has said, but removing mass pings is a terrible, terrible idea.
He/Him
EU - CET / FR+9
Wishlist
Moss.
@Alkhor The second! Site pinglists are unlimited, written are going to be limited in the future.
I'm assuming either an error saying you can't post that many pings when posting the message or simply the @/name displaying as normal text and not pinging people would be what'd happen? Though that's just speculation on what I would find logical

That's indeed the issue, as with the current state, community pinglists like oldies and special ids will Not work :( There's definitely going to be changes, but I still hope they just leave the current system in since some stuff is so intricate that it'd be unhandy to use
@Alkhor The second! Site pinglists are unlimited, written are going to be limited in the future.
I'm assuming either an error saying you can't post that many pings when posting the message or simply the @/name displaying as normal text and not pinging people would be what'd happen? Though that's just speculation on what I would find logical

That's indeed the issue, as with the current state, community pinglists like oldies and special ids will Not work :( There's definitely going to be changes, but I still hope they just leave the current system in since some stuff is so intricate that it'd be unhandy to use
6h4Ol4n.pngXiejUgd.pngvJUVQ0t.pngcGS2SD8.png
I support this 100%
I support this 100%
sig_banner_trimmed.png ePOliyb.png
6FcAWuk.png
kseo325.png
mlHpBMC.png
Q3DBDMQ.png
peter_angry.png
Support for all of these - being able to create a public pinglist that anyone can use to ping as well as no limit on the numbers of players who can join that pinglist would be essential for the majority of pinglists I'm currently on.
Support for all of these - being able to create a public pinglist that anyone can use to ping as well as no limit on the numbers of players who can join that pinglist would be essential for the majority of pinglists I'm currently on.
Support, public pinglists are a necessity. I would really like it if we could get these tools that make it viable for large communities to use the pinglist feature. I would also love it if GASP and other complicated pinglists with opt-out mechanics could still be used. Some in-depth settings for pings would be perfect. Toggles for pings in the forums (individual and pinglist) already exist! An additional mass ping toggle (as defined by 12 or more users, if we go with what was outlined in the dev post) should allow people to be free from pinglist harassment via usermade off-site pinglists but still allow participation in other forum activity with on-site ones.
Support, public pinglists are a necessity. I would really like it if we could get these tools that make it viable for large communities to use the pinglist feature. I would also love it if GASP and other complicated pinglists with opt-out mechanics could still be used. Some in-depth settings for pings would be perfect. Toggles for pings in the forums (individual and pinglist) already exist! An additional mass ping toggle (as defined by 12 or more users, if we go with what was outlined in the dev post) should allow people to be free from pinglist harassment via usermade off-site pinglists but still allow participation in other forum activity with on-site ones.
poor thing... needs to update his forum signature and hasn't yet. oh well!
I have not had time to read this full thread, but could threads like the Marketplace Flash Sale Pinglist and the Swipp's Swap Pinglist be specifically "whitelisted" to mass ping? Even if sign-ups move onsite, their round-the-clock nature and complex ways to determine who to ping means that the site pinglist tool as it currently exists wouldn't work for these threads. Multiple people need to be able to ping hundreds of different lists, or the thread can't work.

"Whitelisting" specific threads for mass pings would also offer an opportunity to massively cut down on the backend strain mass pings generate, since far fewer threads would be able to mass ping.

This suggestion wouldn't do much for the G1 pinglists or GASP, though.
I have not had time to read this full thread, but could threads like the Marketplace Flash Sale Pinglist and the Swipp's Swap Pinglist be specifically "whitelisted" to mass ping? Even if sign-ups move onsite, their round-the-clock nature and complex ways to determine who to ping means that the site pinglist tool as it currently exists wouldn't work for these threads. Multiple people need to be able to ping hundreds of different lists, or the thread can't work.

"Whitelisting" specific threads for mass pings would also offer an opportunity to massively cut down on the backend strain mass pings generate, since far fewer threads would be able to mass ping.

This suggestion wouldn't do much for the G1 pinglists or GASP, though.
He/She/They | FR +3
1000% Support! Getting rid of a core site feature is a terrible idea.

Keep the current ability to use mass pings and create a "Mute Mass Ping" toggle.
1000% Support! Getting rid of a core site feature is a terrible idea.

Keep the current ability to use mass pings and create a "Mute Mass Ping" toggle.
Screenshot-2023-10-27-215640.png 53.png Leviathan Hunters
53.png Emotional Support Dragons
53.png Chichi's Leveling Service
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20