Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73 74
I think the new pinglists are a nice move towards keeping user-organized stuff on site, but I am concerned about what this will do to pinglists that are meant to be used by many people. I understand the concern of spamming mass-pings, but stuff like g1 collectors, dominance organization, GASP, etc. rely on these large pinglists that anyone or multiple people can use to gather interest in events, sales, etc.

pvp news rules though, love to see it
I think the new pinglists are a nice move towards keeping user-organized stuff on site, but I am concerned about what this will do to pinglists that are meant to be used by many people. I understand the concern of spamming mass-pings, but stuff like g1 collectors, dominance organization, GASP, etc. rely on these large pinglists that anyone or multiple people can use to gather interest in events, sales, etc.

pvp news rules though, love to see it
Stuffed Mith
||
he/they/she
changed username galdr -> dunmeshi 1/2/24
Please dont remove mass-pings. People have already spoken of it but G1, GASP, and dom pinglists would be ruined by the removal of that feature.
Please dont remove mass-pings. People have already spoken of it but G1, GASP, and dom pinglists would be ruined by the removal of that feature.
cd9e52d0a68b946dfff79aea46bc6309691f000d.png

angelo ♦ he/him ♦ fr+4
plague dom org

about + faq
74805783.png
little guy!!!!!
HELL YESSSSS
HELL YESSSSS
473faa443895845aae732d5ce2f6cc37310e49f5.gif
Wooo now when I open my commissions again I won't need to use a txt file to keep track of people who want to be pinged when there's an open slot!

Although I would like to echo the concerns of other users here about how the removal of mass pings is a bad idea without accounting for how they're normally used. And I'd like to suggest something for potential public/group pinglists?
Having a setting in the creation of a pinglist that toggles the ability for other people to use it, with both a blacklist and whitelist option, could be a good place to start.
Having both a blacklist and whitelist option would account for both pinglist types:
small groups of organizers who need to use the same pinglist, where the list creator can whitelist the other users who need to use it
and public pinglists would be blacklist based, so everyone can use it by default but someone misusing it could be added to a blacklist
Wooo now when I open my commissions again I won't need to use a txt file to keep track of people who want to be pinged when there's an open slot!

Although I would like to echo the concerns of other users here about how the removal of mass pings is a bad idea without accounting for how they're normally used. And I'd like to suggest something for potential public/group pinglists?
Having a setting in the creation of a pinglist that toggles the ability for other people to use it, with both a blacklist and whitelist option, could be a good place to start.
Having both a blacklist and whitelist option would account for both pinglist types:
small groups of organizers who need to use the same pinglist, where the list creator can whitelist the other users who need to use it
and public pinglists would be blacklist based, so everyone can use it by default but someone misusing it could be added to a blacklist
c64qslB.png iejIbGt.png 7nuk9Ck.png
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2023-10-26 10:04:10" ] Part of the decision making process with pinglists involved the ongoing and widespread harassment via off-site spreadsheets by malicious third-parties. When we reviewed the situation, we determined that even if we were able to identify the responsible party, these off-site spreadsheets remain open to public anonymous edits. This would mean once a malicious third-party gained access to your spreadsheet URL, they wouldn't even need a Flight Rising account to engage in harassment by exploiting our (legal, regulatory, and literal) inability to review offsite identifying data. This is a new system, mass pings aren't capped/sunset yet, and we will be watching and monitoring pinglist use data. This transition period is the time for you to play with the feature, work with it, use it, and give us your feedback on your experience using the new system. We can and are launching this with the understanding we may need to re-evaluate, but we can't go back to the open-ended and offsite system that allowed for ongoing harassment campaigns. [/quote] This is a completely understandable priority and I'm glad that you're taking action to help prevent player harassment. However, I would like to point out that if complex pinglists like GASP, G1 Hoarders, etc. are not supported by the new system, they may move to off-site venues like Discord where harassment may still happen and player activity cannot be monitored as closely.
Aequorin wrote on 2023-10-26 10:04:10:
Part of the decision making process with pinglists involved the ongoing and widespread harassment via off-site spreadsheets by malicious third-parties. When we reviewed the situation, we determined that even if we were able to identify the responsible party, these off-site spreadsheets remain open to public anonymous edits. This would mean once a malicious third-party gained access to your spreadsheet URL, they wouldn't even need a Flight Rising account to engage in harassment by exploiting our (legal, regulatory, and literal) inability to review offsite identifying data.

This is a new system, mass pings aren't capped/sunset yet, and we will be watching and monitoring pinglist use data. This transition period is the time for you to play with the feature, work with it, use it, and give us your feedback on your experience using the new system. We can and are launching this with the understanding we may need to re-evaluate, but we can't go back to the open-ended and offsite system that allowed for ongoing harassment campaigns.

This is a completely understandable priority and I'm glad that you're taking action to help prevent player harassment. However, I would like to point out that if complex pinglists like GASP, G1 Hoarders, etc. are not supported by the new system, they may move to off-site venues like Discord where harassment may still happen and player activity cannot be monitored as closely.
Na5WGHa.png
Unsure how I feel about limiting pings, there are MANY reasons for larger pinglists to exist, most notably gasp or g1 auctions — heck, even smaller hatcheries or skin creators commonly ping a decent amount of people
To me, these are incredibly important services, and I don't think I'd be buying skins or many dragons without them, I very much rely on them because I cannot possibly sift through every new skin/g1 post or listing every day
(I'm glad many others have already mentioned it haha, whoops!)

I'd also like to ask, will we have the option to use old manual lists still? For either shops that don't want to ping until they're open again, or users returning from hiatus that may not know about the new system, will they be okay to ping like normal or will they get a warning or something?
Unsure how I feel about limiting pings, there are MANY reasons for larger pinglists to exist, most notably gasp or g1 auctions — heck, even smaller hatcheries or skin creators commonly ping a decent amount of people
To me, these are incredibly important services, and I don't think I'd be buying skins or many dragons without them, I very much rely on them because I cannot possibly sift through every new skin/g1 post or listing every day
(I'm glad many others have already mentioned it haha, whoops!)

I'd also like to ask, will we have the option to use old manual lists still? For either shops that don't want to ping until they're open again, or users returning from hiatus that may not know about the new system, will they be okay to ping like normal or will they get a warning or something?
image20.jpg
To add on to what everyone else has said about the pinglist: what about specialty breeders? There are many hatcheries that i've seen that have pinglists for specific colors, genes, etc. Would those hatchery owners need to create a specific tag for each hatchery pair and specification? Would a skin artist need to create a new pinglist for each skin and subsequent recolor? I can see this getting very messy from a UI point of view, much like subscriptions, especially since it opens a new tab instead of ridirecting. Although things like google sheets may be unsafe, the DOM coords, G1 Sellers, and Skin Artists i've seen running these lists almost always have them set to private (or whatever you call not being able to see other's personal info.) I really appreciate the idea behind the pinglists widget, but I think perhaps a more thorough look into the way the community operate would have informed this updated a lot better.

edit: Another question. If the pinglist stops at 12 and I have 100 people signed up for a hatchery, would I have to recreate the same pinglist for all 100 people to join? How would this work??
To add on to what everyone else has said about the pinglist: what about specialty breeders? There are many hatcheries that i've seen that have pinglists for specific colors, genes, etc. Would those hatchery owners need to create a specific tag for each hatchery pair and specification? Would a skin artist need to create a new pinglist for each skin and subsequent recolor? I can see this getting very messy from a UI point of view, much like subscriptions, especially since it opens a new tab instead of ridirecting. Although things like google sheets may be unsafe, the DOM coords, G1 Sellers, and Skin Artists i've seen running these lists almost always have them set to private (or whatever you call not being able to see other's personal info.) I really appreciate the idea behind the pinglists widget, but I think perhaps a more thorough look into the way the community operate would have informed this updated a lot better.

edit: Another question. If the pinglist stops at 12 and I have 100 people signed up for a hatchery, would I have to recreate the same pinglist for all 100 people to join? How would this work??
They/Them // Adult // FR +3

Offsite / Mass Hatch / Hatchery
I love these changes! My only comment on custom skins is that it's not necessarily that part that's difficult, it's in the file itself. I know I have to leave lines, but every time i try to make one and submit it, there's always this one step i miss and have had to have help from friends to correct it. but since i don't make skins that often, i keep having to refresh myself and get help on how exactly to do it in the file.

i know this is probably my reading comprehension, but that's just my feedback. I honestly don't know a solution, but I know it's that right there that stops me from doing more because I just don't understand what im doing wrong in the file itself and then i submit it and it gets sent back :(
I love these changes! My only comment on custom skins is that it's not necessarily that part that's difficult, it's in the file itself. I know I have to leave lines, but every time i try to make one and submit it, there's always this one step i miss and have had to have help from friends to correct it. but since i don't make skins that often, i keep having to refresh myself and get help on how exactly to do it in the file.

i know this is probably my reading comprehension, but that's just my feedback. I honestly don't know a solution, but I know it's that right there that stops me from doing more because I just don't understand what im doing wrong in the file itself and then i submit it and it gets sent back :(
Thank you for all your hard work! I am particularly pleased with the implementation of pinglists - I have pings off for anxiety reasons but this has also meant I don't get notifications for UMA makers' new releases and it'll be nice to get back into getting updates on new UMAs for sale without having notification pings pop up for other stuff.
Thank you for all your hard work! I am particularly pleased with the implementation of pinglists - I have pings off for anxiety reasons but this has also meant I don't get notifications for UMA makers' new releases and it'll be nice to get back into getting updates on new UMAs for sale without having notification pings pop up for other stuff.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Some people have already brought up the problems with getting rid of mass pings, and while this probably works fine for some things since you can still create your own pinglists(thus creating one for every time you need to ping a different set of GASP lists), this seems like it would add an unnecessary amount of pinglist bloat. One solution, other than not getting rid of mass pings which as far as I'm aware has not been a huge problem especially since you can just ban people abusing it or remove forum privileges, but i don't actually know about the insides of that,, could be to allow people to create public pinglists for anyone to use inside that thread. Could be useful for such threads as Marketplace Flash Sale Pinglist, Swipp Swap Pinglist, Nest Networks. Would not solve the problem with GASP.
Some people have already brought up the problems with getting rid of mass pings, and while this probably works fine for some things since you can still create your own pinglists(thus creating one for every time you need to ping a different set of GASP lists), this seems like it would add an unnecessary amount of pinglist bloat. One solution, other than not getting rid of mass pings which as far as I'm aware has not been a huge problem especially since you can just ban people abusing it or remove forum privileges, but i don't actually know about the insides of that,, could be to allow people to create public pinglists for anyone to use inside that thread. Could be useful for such threads as Marketplace Flash Sale Pinglist, Swipp Swap Pinglist, Nest Networks. Would not solve the problem with GASP.
15587.png sylveon
they/them
frt +3
wishlist
hatchery
aro.png 2a665d2ce02e8f6ba2d7566f1b704a055b4744e1.png
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73 74