Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | why does my cat keep doing this
1 2
I have two orange toms that have lived with me for almost a year. one of them (orange is his name) is skittish, but a sweetheart only towards me. the other (tangerine) is very skittish, and affectionate only towards me, too. he loves me, but I’m a little confused about his behavior.

at night, he will cry outside my door when I’m trying to sleep, and attempt to open the door with his paws. we have a cat room with all their food, water, and toys. my room only has a few toys with water and an almost empty bowl of food. when I open the door, he just runs away while Orange pads in with a trill. just now, I was showering, and he was attempting to open the door with his paws. I open it, and he runs away, again.

I can’t help, but be annoyed by it. I hate that he’s doing this, and runs away when I try to approach him. I’ve had them for almost a year, so why does he do this? what’s the point of attempting to open my door(s) only to run away when I let him in?
I have two orange toms that have lived with me for almost a year. one of them (orange is his name) is skittish, but a sweetheart only towards me. the other (tangerine) is very skittish, and affectionate only towards me, too. he loves me, but I’m a little confused about his behavior.

at night, he will cry outside my door when I’m trying to sleep, and attempt to open the door with his paws. we have a cat room with all their food, water, and toys. my room only has a few toys with water and an almost empty bowl of food. when I open the door, he just runs away while Orange pads in with a trill. just now, I was showering, and he was attempting to open the door with his paws. I open it, and he runs away, again.

I can’t help, but be annoyed by it. I hate that he’s doing this, and runs away when I try to approach him. I’ve had them for almost a year, so why does he do this? what’s the point of attempting to open my door(s) only to run away when I let him in?
they/she | 19 | artist | FR+2
wishlist
36071903_G0UbKKPDhfPrzPZ.png
Joke answer: Cats are jerks. Serious answer: Cats are jerks. [img]https://i.imgflip.com/7exkd0.png[/img] We can't know what they're thinking, maybe the cat is just messing with you, or wants to know that you're still there. If it's not about wanting to go inside the room, maybe it's about controlling their territory, a patrolling habit. I've noticed one of my cats likes to camp certain corners of the house in case a bug comes crawling out, usually doing this during night time. We also had a cat that learned to jump and hang by the handle of the door to the apartment and actually managed to open it, so we had to lock it at all times as well as put obstacles on the way. And then she would also meow loudly at the door
Joke answer: Cats are jerks.

Serious answer: Cats are jerks.

7exkd0.png

We can't know what they're thinking, maybe the cat is just messing with you, or wants to know that you're still there. If it's not about wanting to go inside the room, maybe it's about controlling their territory, a patrolling habit.

I've noticed one of my cats likes to camp certain corners of the house in case a bug comes crawling out, usually doing this during night time.

We also had a cat that learned to jump and hang by the handle of the door to the apartment and actually managed to open it, so we had to lock it at all times as well as put obstacles on the way. And then she would also meow loudly at the door
E0wjMW6.gif b7tA1j8.gif ljnC76Z.gif]
I've had a cat do something similar. She meows outside doors, but doesn't always want to come in.

My guess is that they don't like the door being closed for whatever reason. In my case, our cat seems to want to know where we are and calms down when we come out. I'd try leaving the door open and seeing if the behavior changes (though obviously, this wouldn't work for showers).
I've had a cat do something similar. She meows outside doors, but doesn't always want to come in.

My guess is that they don't like the door being closed for whatever reason. In my case, our cat seems to want to know where we are and calms down when we come out. I'd try leaving the door open and seeing if the behavior changes (though obviously, this wouldn't work for showers).
DragonIC_Big.png PsychicIC_Big.png
[quote name="ShinySalamence" date="2023-07-12 02:24:32" ] My guess is that they don't like the door being closed for whatever reason. In my case, our cat seems to want to know where we are and calms down when we come out. I'd try leaving the door open and seeing if the behavior changes (though obviously, this wouldn't work for showers). [/quote] This is my guess too. Could be that Tangerine recognizes that his territory is behind that door and if he can't get in he's annoyed, or he wants to make sure his human is there and that they're okay. Could even be that he does it to help Orange get in. Of course, sometimes cats are just jerks who like the attention :P One of my family's cats loves to get chased and play hide and seek. Whenever I visit she'll see me, start sprinting off to some location and wait until I arrive, then she runs off again. The chase ends at her favourite resting spot where she wants to get petted and play. I doubt that's what Tangerine wants, but if you ever want to annoy him back check where he runs off to. Maybe he wants to lead you somewhere so he can get attention in a spot he prefers.
ShinySalamence wrote on 2023-07-12 02:24:32:

This is my guess too. Could be that Tangerine recognizes that his territory is behind that door and if he can't get in he's annoyed, or he wants to make sure his human is there and that they're okay. Could even be that he does it to help Orange get in.

Of course, sometimes cats are just jerks who like the attention :P

One of my family's cats loves to get chased and play hide and seek. Whenever I visit she'll see me, start sprinting off to some location and wait until I arrive, then she runs off again. The chase ends at her favourite resting spot where she wants to get petted and play.

I doubt that's what Tangerine wants, but if you ever want to annoy him back check where he runs off to. Maybe he wants to lead you somewhere so he can get attention in a spot he prefers.
Screaming at doors is what cats do.

Both of mine did this. I'm a light sleeper and don't let them into my bedroom when I sleep. After being consequent of not letting them in when they screamed, they eventually just stopped doing that.

Maybe that'll work for you too, but cats have different personalities, so it won't be a 'one size fits all' here.
Screaming at doors is what cats do.

Both of mine did this. I'm a light sleeper and don't let them into my bedroom when I sleep. After being consequent of not letting them in when they screamed, they eventually just stopped doing that.

Maybe that'll work for you too, but cats have different personalities, so it won't be a 'one size fits all' here.
https://cats.com/why-do-cats-hate-closed-doors

If your cat really likes you like you say he may genially not like the barrier between the two of you. It may seem strange he runs away after but (not all) cats are cuddle me all the time creatures (in fact a big reasons cats will attack you while petting them is because they can actually get overwhelmed by the stimulation and humans can have trouble picking up on the warning signs) and once he knows he can come check on you whenever he's content there's little reason for him to stay. Cats aren't jerks for "no reason" even if their behavior may be annoying at times.
https://cats.com/why-do-cats-hate-closed-doors

If your cat really likes you like you say he may genially not like the barrier between the two of you. It may seem strange he runs away after but (not all) cats are cuddle me all the time creatures (in fact a big reasons cats will attack you while petting them is because they can actually get overwhelmed by the stimulation and humans can have trouble picking up on the warning signs) and once he knows he can come check on you whenever he's content there's little reason for him to stay. Cats aren't jerks for "no reason" even if their behavior may be annoying at times.
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
This is an interesting habit and I will do my very best as a person with interest and knowledge on the subject to answer your question.
Sometimes, cats exhibit behaviors because they are drawn to that instinct in the wild. My cat does something similar and there are many reasons for this. Your cat could be checking on you, missing you or has an attachment/anxiety issue when the cat is away from you, has "caught" something for you and is presenting it (this could be a toy, a piece of garbage, a bug or an actual deceased animal), may want attention or to play. It sounds to me like your cat just needs a little more time with you and that could be in the form of you giving the cat more one on one time or simply the cat wants to observe you and you are in your "area" or "domain" and the cat knows you are in there. Basically, there is keen interest there in you but the cat is a little shy and needs more time to warm up. You have to remember that sometimes it takes cats years and years to socially understand their owners because we are so different socially than they are. So a year to us is different to a cat, they don't have the same concept of time. Just keep doing what you're doing! It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. I think your cat is just learning how to gain attention from you, sometimes cats test us to see what behaviors work and gain them attention.

My true suggestion if you do not like this behavior, ignore it. Truly! You are not hurting your cat's feelings, they will take the hint but do understand that a cat can and will annoy their owner because again "boundaries" are a human thing, not for cats! ;)
This is an interesting habit and I will do my very best as a person with interest and knowledge on the subject to answer your question.
Sometimes, cats exhibit behaviors because they are drawn to that instinct in the wild. My cat does something similar and there are many reasons for this. Your cat could be checking on you, missing you or has an attachment/anxiety issue when the cat is away from you, has "caught" something for you and is presenting it (this could be a toy, a piece of garbage, a bug or an actual deceased animal), may want attention or to play. It sounds to me like your cat just needs a little more time with you and that could be in the form of you giving the cat more one on one time or simply the cat wants to observe you and you are in your "area" or "domain" and the cat knows you are in there. Basically, there is keen interest there in you but the cat is a little shy and needs more time to warm up. You have to remember that sometimes it takes cats years and years to socially understand their owners because we are so different socially than they are. So a year to us is different to a cat, they don't have the same concept of time. Just keep doing what you're doing! It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. I think your cat is just learning how to gain attention from you, sometimes cats test us to see what behaviors work and gain them attention.

My true suggestion if you do not like this behavior, ignore it. Truly! You are not hurting your cat's feelings, they will take the hint but do understand that a cat can and will annoy their owner because again "boundaries" are a human thing, not for cats! ;)
aFR1AFS.gif
Saké
they/them
child of magic
sign of the ram
Cats need to be entertained, so they will eat plastic, scream at doors, and sit in the middle of the walkway when us humans are extremely busy, then get mad at you if you walk too close

Source: two beautiful orange cats. Who love plastic
Cats need to be entertained, so they will eat plastic, scream at doors, and sit in the middle of the walkway when us humans are extremely busy, then get mad at you if you walk too close

Source: two beautiful orange cats. Who love plastic

Lore clan × pm friendly × remember to drink water
As someone who rarely had cats, here are some possibilities.

1. Orange may hate doors shut and wants to watch you as a sign of protection. I've had a dog do something similar from her separation anxiety. She tends to do it so she can know that the person (whoever it was) is still there.

2. Another may be from pure entertainment. Simple as that. Some cats just do it.

3. Simple way to claim territory, honestly.

I feel like, if you have that strong of a bond plus how skittish he is, he may want it open to make sure you're there. We won't truly know though.
As someone who rarely had cats, here are some possibilities.

1. Orange may hate doors shut and wants to watch you as a sign of protection. I've had a dog do something similar from her separation anxiety. She tends to do it so she can know that the person (whoever it was) is still there.

2. Another may be from pure entertainment. Simple as that. Some cats just do it.

3. Simple way to claim territory, honestly.

I feel like, if you have that strong of a bond plus how skittish he is, he may want it open to make sure you're there. We won't truly know though.
Prophet's Vision/Wishlist/Exalt tab/Sales
Fr+2
Chaotic neutral Gaymer
Give a biscuit to my opossum son, Hubert
It may be that the closed door makes your cat think you could be in danger. they meow at the door because you've been quiet for so long.

Could also be that you have two orange cats, and all orange cats of the world share the same brain cell. Perhaps it wasn't your cat's turn with the cell.

Have you tried opening the door and leaving it open? Perhaps they'll come in eventually?
It may be that the closed door makes your cat think you could be in danger. they meow at the door because you've been quiet for so long.

Could also be that you have two orange cats, and all orange cats of the world share the same brain cell. Perhaps it wasn't your cat's turn with the cell.

Have you tried opening the door and leaving it open? Perhaps they'll come in eventually?
1 2