Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | why does my cat keep doing this
1 2
Contrary to popular belief: cats are not jerks. They can be frustrating like this, but they have their own personalities and this complex way of thinking. Its possible he wants to play with you but didn't expect you to open the door, OR running away was the game. (I literally play chase with my cat, but don't suddenly chase him unless he chases you first, as this might scare him suddenly XD)

It's also possible that he already knows he'll be in trouble if you open the door, so he runs away.

How to change this behavior?
I've heard a lot of recommendations to simply ignore it. don't yell through the door at him, don't open the door. whether it's positive or negative, attention is encouraging the act.
But that's easier said than done, especially in my case that my cat will use her claws when trying to open my door. so i worry about damages lmao

So far my solution is placing a box or I have two giant stuffed animals that I use to barricade my bedroom door so that she can't really scratch at it.
Every night at 11:30pm she'll still come to the door to sing her little yowls and brings her favorite toys to the door. But then she stops and leaves it alone.

Hope you find a solution too
Contrary to popular belief: cats are not jerks. They can be frustrating like this, but they have their own personalities and this complex way of thinking. Its possible he wants to play with you but didn't expect you to open the door, OR running away was the game. (I literally play chase with my cat, but don't suddenly chase him unless he chases you first, as this might scare him suddenly XD)

It's also possible that he already knows he'll be in trouble if you open the door, so he runs away.

How to change this behavior?
I've heard a lot of recommendations to simply ignore it. don't yell through the door at him, don't open the door. whether it's positive or negative, attention is encouraging the act.
But that's easier said than done, especially in my case that my cat will use her claws when trying to open my door. so i worry about damages lmao

So far my solution is placing a box or I have two giant stuffed animals that I use to barricade my bedroom door so that she can't really scratch at it.
Every night at 11:30pm she'll still come to the door to sing her little yowls and brings her favorite toys to the door. But then she stops and leaves it alone.

Hope you find a solution too
czDP8JA.png BSKY_VGen
1 2