Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Learning a new language.
1 2 3 4 5
So, I downloaded Duolingo to practice Spanish while I’m on break from school. Instead, I’m now learning German. I should probably get back in to doing Spanish.
So, I downloaded Duolingo to practice Spanish while I’m on break from school. Instead, I’m now learning German. I should probably get back in to doing Spanish.
allycatcher.pngmlHpBMC.png.t0wRx.gif.mBU64.gif
Eventually, I'd love to become fluent in Spanish. My family is Hispanic (dads side at least) but unfortunately my grandparents never taught their kids, since my eldest uncle had difficulties trying to learn both English and Spanish at the same time.

I took Spanish classes as a Junior and Senior in high school, but its been a few years since then so I really cant remember much off the top of my head. Thankfully what I learned was also really close to what my grandpa spoke. (Cuban Spanish)

The only thing stopping me from putting more effort into learning is work and classes, honestly. Someday Ill have time to consistently sit down and learn HAHA.
Eventually, I'd love to become fluent in Spanish. My family is Hispanic (dads side at least) but unfortunately my grandparents never taught their kids, since my eldest uncle had difficulties trying to learn both English and Spanish at the same time.

I took Spanish classes as a Junior and Senior in high school, but its been a few years since then so I really cant remember much off the top of my head. Thankfully what I learned was also really close to what my grandpa spoke. (Cuban Spanish)

The only thing stopping me from putting more effort into learning is work and classes, honestly. Someday Ill have time to consistently sit down and learn HAHA.
red lizard from rain world

» Formerly Ceruleanfire, Springfire
» She/Her
» +2 FR Time || Pings welcome!
Been learning (simplified) Mandarin Chinese off and on, due to the hectic nature of life. But it really is a fantastic language. If anyone has any tips/tricks, I'm all ears! I like to listen to stories on Du Chinese, and have done courses on both Duolingo and Yoyo Chinese. I also watch quite a few Chinese videos, too! I've also been getting familiar with a variety of programming languages, but those aren't quite the same, huh? [emoji=guardian winking size=2]
Been learning (simplified) Mandarin Chinese off and on, due to the hectic nature of life. But it really is a fantastic language. If anyone has any tips/tricks, I'm all ears! I like to listen to stories on Du Chinese, and have done courses on both Duolingo and Yoyo Chinese. I also watch quite a few Chinese videos, too!

I've also been getting familiar with a variety of programming languages, but those aren't quite the same, huh?
Check out my YCH thread HERE!

591.png
Ive been trying to learn spanish since most of my nonimmediate family speaks it fluently and id like to be able to talk to them in an easier way, listening to music or shows/movies i know really well in spanish seems to help me quite a bit! For a school project i also taken on learning sign language. Hoping to continue to learn both especially sign language. I also would love to learn french and japanese as well! any advice in ways to learn these efficiently will be greatly appreciated! [emoji=aether laughing size=1]
Ive been trying to learn spanish since most of my nonimmediate family speaks it fluently and id like to be able to talk to them in an easier way, listening to music or shows/movies i know really well in spanish seems to help me quite a bit! For a school project i also taken on learning sign language. Hoping to continue to learn both especially sign language. I also would love to learn french and japanese as well!

any advice in ways to learn these efficiently will be greatly appreciated!

IJUD9dj.gif ChoccypilledIJUD9dj.gif UsInSEn.gif Any PronounsUsInSEn.gif
sh5xjiu.pngIxog88i.png2VtxnMX.pngPRICTGJ.png
I've been using Duolingo for French for about 4 months now!! Very far from any kind of fluency but I'm having fun.
I've been using Duolingo for French for about 4 months now!! Very far from any kind of fluency but I'm having fun.
leonard / 24 / he/him / autism & adhd

prefers not to get travelling dragons, occasional exalt lair

Free Palestine
I’ve been taking French class! Though my teacher isn’t the best at well.. teaching
I can read quite a lot of French ,but I can barley speak it
I’ve been taking French class! Though my teacher isn’t the best at well.. teaching
I can read quite a lot of French ,but I can barley speak it
C6-A7-C47-A-0-AD2-4017-AB8-B-63-E385-AA680-A.png1-FAF2-CCD-14-FF-4-BA7-A01-B-9840-E7-B9-E4-F9.pngF038-A574-6-B2-F-42-F1-8-D94-F3-F28-BE397-B8.png
i've been trying to pick up Japanese again! i learned it for two years during highschool since it was offered as a class, but since entering college i've forgotten a lot of it :') my best friend is Japanese—born and raised, but moved to the States—and i'm hoping to be prepared for when i visit his family and friends with him!

good luck with your studies everyone!
i've been trying to pick up Japanese again! i learned it for two years during highschool since it was offered as a class, but since entering college i've forgotten a lot of it :') my best friend is Japanese—born and raised, but moved to the States—and i'm hoping to be prepared for when i visit his family and friends with him!

i've been trying to pick up Japanese again! i studied it for two years during highschool since it was offered as a class, but since entering college i've forgotten a lot of it :') my best friend is Japanese—born and raised, but moved to the States—and i'm hoping to be prepared for when i visit his family and friends with him!

i've been trying to pick up Japanese again! i studied it for two years during highschool since it was offered as a class, but since entering college i've forgotten a lot of it :') my best friend is Japanese—born and raised, but moved to the States—and i'm hoping to be prepared for when i visit his family and friends with him!

I did German for 2 years at school as an elective. Never got very good at it, i was really bad at pronunciation but i enjoyed it and found that i quite like poetry.
In primary school we did classes on the local Aboriginal language and culture (this is in Australia) which i also could not pronounce anything in (can't roll my r's for the life of me) but it was really really interesting :)

I've heard that translating memes is a good way to practice as well as keeping a diary in the language your learning if that helps?
I did German for 2 years at school as an elective. Never got very good at it, i was really bad at pronunciation but i enjoyed it and found that i quite like poetry.
In primary school we did classes on the local Aboriginal language and culture (this is in Australia) which i also could not pronounce anything in (can't roll my r's for the life of me) but it was really really interesting :)

I've heard that translating memes is a good way to practice as well as keeping a diary in the language your learning if that helps?
XMaa7RV.pngBtKwBsk.pngJ6ryZyV.png sh652fp.pngsSJhVuG.pngsh5xjiu.png
Now that I've found interest in a German piece of media and have actually done a few trips to the country, I've started to be actually serious about learning it (for me, learning for funsies doesn't seem to be enough). I'm still a total beginner at it, longer sentences make my head spin (what even is German word order), and memorizing which gender words are still makes me confused.
But! I can understand and make simple sentences, and pick out small parts and random words of longer sentences! I felt seriously proud after getting the gist of a guy explaining something in German with no subs. I think I just need some more exposure really.
Now that I've found interest in a German piece of media and have actually done a few trips to the country, I've started to be actually serious about learning it (for me, learning for funsies doesn't seem to be enough). I'm still a total beginner at it, longer sentences make my head spin (what even is German word order), and memorizing which gender words are still makes me confused.
But! I can understand and make simple sentences, and pick out small parts and random words of longer sentences! I felt seriously proud after getting the gist of a guy explaining something in German with no subs. I think I just need some more exposure really.
1 2 3 4 5