Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Then vs Now
1 2 3
When I first started I had a huge list of gene changes I wanted to do for my lair and I was constantly saving for them. Now I mostly stick to breeding projects and have enough money on-hand for any spontaneous gene changes I want to get.

Whenever a new gene came out, I used to preview it on my whole lair to see if I wanted to change anyone into it. Now if I want it, I normally get it on a new dragon. (Though I sometimes will preview it on my oldest dragons)

I used to try to keep at least one of every gene in my lair. While I have now built a spreadsheet to show myself what I haven’t used/what I’ve used less than other genes, I don’t go out of my way to get new genes anymore.

I used to be particular that if the offspring of my dragons were getting exalted soon, I had to be the one to do it (not to go after other people but just selling high enough they weren’t going to be fodder and exalting them myself if they didn’t sell). Now I don’t have time to train everyone up anymore so I often sell adults for fodder price.

Honestly I’m surprised to even find that much, though. Despite being here since 2013, I still largely have the same interests and gameplay style as when I started.
When I first started I had a huge list of gene changes I wanted to do for my lair and I was constantly saving for them. Now I mostly stick to breeding projects and have enough money on-hand for any spontaneous gene changes I want to get.

Whenever a new gene came out, I used to preview it on my whole lair to see if I wanted to change anyone into it. Now if I want it, I normally get it on a new dragon. (Though I sometimes will preview it on my oldest dragons)

I used to try to keep at least one of every gene in my lair. While I have now built a spreadsheet to show myself what I haven’t used/what I’ve used less than other genes, I don’t go out of my way to get new genes anymore.

I used to be particular that if the offspring of my dragons were getting exalted soon, I had to be the one to do it (not to go after other people but just selling high enough they weren’t going to be fodder and exalting them myself if they didn’t sell). Now I don’t have time to train everyone up anymore so I often sell adults for fodder price.

Honestly I’m surprised to even find that much, though. Despite being here since 2013, I still largely have the same interests and gameplay style as when I started.
I used to play coli a lot more, then it became difficult due to my hand/wrist issues. I still play now and then but not as much. I used to no-life the coli for hours. I also don't have as much time for it.

I used to play a lot more shock switch, I played it every day for a few years and then I gave up because of my hand. I also switched to gathering everyday.

At some point I stopped buying dragons because I had more then I knew what to do with. I will finish those projects someday I swear.

Just recently I realized after so many years you could bond with familiars and use the arrow key on the keyboard to go to the next dragon. It's amazing, I'll never go back. It makes bonding so much easier. I saves a lot of time.

I used to play coli a lot more, then it became difficult due to my hand/wrist issues. I still play now and then but not as much. I used to no-life the coli for hours. I also don't have as much time for it.

I used to play a lot more shock switch, I played it every day for a few years and then I gave up because of my hand. I also switched to gathering everyday.

At some point I stopped buying dragons because I had more then I knew what to do with. I will finish those projects someday I swear.

Just recently I realized after so many years you could bond with familiars and use the arrow key on the keyboard to go to the next dragon. It's amazing, I'll never go back. It makes bonding so much easier. I saves a lot of time.

tumblr_ozl54fdz7Q1wvvm88o2_100.png t0QOcry.png
I never used to coli as much when I first started, because I found it very difficult and half of the time I didn't even know what I was doing with my stats (I'm not sure when people started writing guides, but at that time there weren't any).
And now, while I don't have as much time to play these days, I'm spending a lot of my online time in the coli.

Exalting was evil to me XD sorry everyone 10 years ago.
Now I toss dragons at the Stormcatcher all the time. Mostly my own though, because I'm too lazy to sell them *coughs*

I used to buy the most random dragons I found.
These days I'm working on converting my lair to XXY/XYX/XYY and possible some XXX (there will be exceptions for some special dragons tho) and I'm really picky about what I buy.

I used hate the green and pink ranges on the color wheel.
Now I'm looking to hunt down some very specific color combinations from these xD
Overall my taste in colors changed a lot.

I also never visited the forums as much and never posted, except for a sales/off-site trades now and then.
I'm still not posting a lot, but I got more comfortable using the forums.
I never used to coli as much when I first started, because I found it very difficult and half of the time I didn't even know what I was doing with my stats (I'm not sure when people started writing guides, but at that time there weren't any).
And now, while I don't have as much time to play these days, I'm spending a lot of my online time in the coli.

Exalting was evil to me XD sorry everyone 10 years ago.
Now I toss dragons at the Stormcatcher all the time. Mostly my own though, because I'm too lazy to sell them *coughs*

I used to buy the most random dragons I found.
These days I'm working on converting my lair to XXY/XYX/XYY and possible some XXX (there will be exceptions for some special dragons tho) and I'm really picky about what I buy.

I used hate the green and pink ranges on the color wheel.
Now I'm looking to hunt down some very specific color combinations from these xD
Overall my taste in colors changed a lot.

I also never visited the forums as much and never posted, except for a sales/off-site trades now and then.
I'm still not posting a lot, but I got more comfortable using the forums.
dEe2UrM.png
FlMK7kZ.png
Wgzj2pK.png
FObX7rS.png
lightningshieldr.pngshadowshieldl.png
i similarly also used to breed dragons at all, and exalt some here and there, and i used to coli more too but i dont do the first two at all anymore and i coli rarely
i used to just get more dragons in general but the rate has decreased significantly in the recent years
i similarly also used to breed dragons at all, and exalt some here and there, and i used to coli more too but i dont do the first two at all anymore and i coli rarely
i used to just get more dragons in general but the rate has decreased significantly in the recent years
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Then:
  • Coli'd for hours on end, or at least until I'd get an egg.
  • Brewed baldwin mats to sell for extra cash.
  • Bred my dragons randomly to sell the hatchlings for fodder.
  • Did not like fandragons at all, didn't get the point.
  • Runestones was my game of choice.
  • Waste time by playing with the scrying workshop and spend hours looking at the dragons for sale on the AH
  • I hated tundras and m pearlcatchers and vowed to never own one.
  • Didn't see the point of fams, why my pet need it's own pet?

Now:
  • I barely coli for 15 minutes before I get bored. I only spend any significant time there during fests or events.
  • I brew baldwin mats to make eggs, to then sell for extra cash.
  • I no longer breed my dragons randomly to produce fodder, I kept too many babies and ran out of room faster than I could expand. Now I have designated breeding pairs that I sell hatchlings from for higher than fodder.
  • I have many fandragons.
  • I've memorized solutions to G&G so now I can quickly max out fairgrounds. Though more recently I haven't felt like it and will doddle around in tidal trouble shock switch or mahjong for a bit.
  • I no longer waste time by playing in the scryshop nor look at the AH for dragons because space was becoming and issue.
  • I'm still not really a huge fan of them but I have allowed them into my lair.
  • I don't actively seek them out, but I'll bond with them for those chests. Those are nice.
Then:
  • Coli'd for hours on end, or at least until I'd get an egg.
  • Brewed baldwin mats to sell for extra cash.
  • Bred my dragons randomly to sell the hatchlings for fodder.
  • Did not like fandragons at all, didn't get the point.
  • Runestones was my game of choice.
  • Waste time by playing with the scrying workshop and spend hours looking at the dragons for sale on the AH
  • I hated tundras and m pearlcatchers and vowed to never own one.
  • Didn't see the point of fams, why my pet need it's own pet?

Now:
  • I barely coli for 15 minutes before I get bored. I only spend any significant time there during fests or events.
  • I brew baldwin mats to make eggs, to then sell for extra cash.
  • I no longer breed my dragons randomly to produce fodder, I kept too many babies and ran out of room faster than I could expand. Now I have designated breeding pairs that I sell hatchlings from for higher than fodder.
  • I have many fandragons.
  • I've memorized solutions to G&G so now I can quickly max out fairgrounds. Though more recently I haven't felt like it and will doddle around in tidal trouble shock switch or mahjong for a bit.
  • I no longer waste time by playing in the scryshop nor look at the AH for dragons because space was becoming and issue.
  • I'm still not really a huge fan of them but I have allowed them into my lair.
  • I don't actively seek them out, but I'll bond with them for those chests. Those are nice.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
I used to breed random drags, now I just have several pairs. There are a few I still breed randomly, but I went from almost always having a nest incubating to breeding like once a month.
I used to breed random drags, now I just have several pairs. There are a few I still breed randomly, but I went from almost always having a nest incubating to breeding like once a month.
?1yJ3f=platform.png
RSUsSvx.png
I've finally settled on a lore idea that I am happy with. I used to do lair clean outs every few months. Now I have a smaller lair of permadragons that I've kept for a couple years.

I used to buy any pretty dragon that popped up on the AH. Now I'm a lot more picky.

I used to be a lot more active on here. Now I've grown up a bit and rl has gotten whole lot busier. It's just one of those things that happens.

I participate a lot more in DOM now and training fodder. It's a great way to make a lot of treasure quickly.

Ever since the update came out that highlights Bladwin/Swipp items, I've been hoarding a lot more. I used to hoard sell and auction a lot.
I've finally settled on a lore idea that I am happy with. I used to do lair clean outs every few months. Now I have a smaller lair of permadragons that I've kept for a couple years.

I used to buy any pretty dragon that popped up on the AH. Now I'm a lot more picky.

I used to be a lot more active on here. Now I've grown up a bit and rl has gotten whole lot busier. It's just one of those things that happens.

I participate a lot more in DOM now and training fodder. It's a great way to make a lot of treasure quickly.

Ever since the update came out that highlights Bladwin/Swipp items, I've been hoarding a lot more. I used to hoard sell and auction a lot.
The Empyreal Library
I consider myself in “retirement”- no big goals, not as active. I have my lair pretty much how I want it, minus a few remaining projects and small thing to entertain myself.

Since starting:
>Much smaller lair goals. I don’t think I would want many more dragons.
>I don’t breed hardly at all except for fodder. I used to want to run a hatchery because that was The Thing to Do
>Much pickier on what dragons I have. I’m strictly oldies/g1 lair. I actually don’t do g1s anymore, but I have kept some ones I really like. But I no longer seek out or buy any new ones. I only buy oldies now if I buy anything.
>Rarely coli anymore. I don’t have as much time and my brain just doesn’t want to lol

I still enjoy FR, I’m just at a much slower pace right now. I’ve been here a long time so it’s not really a surprise. x)
I consider myself in “retirement”- no big goals, not as active. I have my lair pretty much how I want it, minus a few remaining projects and small thing to entertain myself.

Since starting:
>Much smaller lair goals. I don’t think I would want many more dragons.
>I don’t breed hardly at all except for fodder. I used to want to run a hatchery because that was The Thing to Do
>Much pickier on what dragons I have. I’m strictly oldies/g1 lair. I actually don’t do g1s anymore, but I have kept some ones I really like. But I no longer seek out or buy any new ones. I only buy oldies now if I buy anything.
>Rarely coli anymore. I don’t have as much time and my brain just doesn’t want to lol

I still enjoy FR, I’m just at a much slower pace right now. I’ve been here a long time so it’s not really a surprise. x)
IMG_0247.jpg
i wish i had something more interesting ro say but for the first half of my time on the site i didn't understand how basic site functions worked like how to generate fc outside of gathering and that leveling up dragons will increase exalt payout. knowing how the color wheel works is very helpful though i still did breed my progens together with their new weird colors and expected something nice to hatch so i still am in that mindset of just randomly pair things together for fun lol. im starting to coli again but thats because of achievements, i really need a 3rd team member even if its temporary.
biggest thing now i guess is that i actually put time and effort into my dragons now that i know you can buy them off the ah, i was fully aware of how to sell dragons i just somehow never went browsing for my own until 5 years in.
i wish i had something more interesting ro say but for the first half of my time on the site i didn't understand how basic site functions worked like how to generate fc outside of gathering and that leveling up dragons will increase exalt payout. knowing how the color wheel works is very helpful though i still did breed my progens together with their new weird colors and expected something nice to hatch so i still am in that mindset of just randomly pair things together for fun lol. im starting to coli again but thats because of achievements, i really need a 3rd team member even if its temporary.
biggest thing now i guess is that i actually put time and effort into my dragons now that i know you can buy them off the ah, i was fully aware of how to sell dragons i just somehow never went browsing for my own until 5 years in.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
I thought I wanted to be a G1 lair because that's what all the cool kids were doing (in my mind). I'm still figuring out what I want to be lair/aesthetic wise, but I don't think it's that.

I switched from the Arcane Flight to Light for lore and aesthetic reasons - as a (Greek, specifically) mythology nerd, the Light Flight's setting and aesthetic felt much more fitting. Lore is forever still a WIP though.

I also try not to info dump in the forums like I used to - I feel like short, simple responses are easier to digest and less cringe to post than walls of text about something that's ultimately trivial anyway. It's a dragon dress up pretty pixel game, who cares so long as it's not hurting anyone.
I thought I wanted to be a G1 lair because that's what all the cool kids were doing (in my mind). I'm still figuring out what I want to be lair/aesthetic wise, but I don't think it's that.

I switched from the Arcane Flight to Light for lore and aesthetic reasons - as a (Greek, specifically) mythology nerd, the Light Flight's setting and aesthetic felt much more fitting. Lore is forever still a WIP though.

I also try not to info dump in the forums like I used to - I feel like short, simple responses are easier to digest and less cringe to post than walls of text about something that's ultimately trivial anyway. It's a dragon dress up pretty pixel game, who cares so long as it's not hurting anyone.
tumblr_pb04puzMLY1wvvm88o3_100.png
she/they | fr+3
sales | avatar
1 2 3