Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change shock switch 1m achievement
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20
support for either lowering the point requirement or making it cumulative. i feel like everyone replying with "but there needs to be hard achievements!!" or similar sentiments missed the point entirely. the core issue isn't just that this achievement is difficult, it's that it's completely inaccessible to many with fine motor disabilities. it doesn't feel like a test of your skill so much as a test of your abledness (or the quality of your internet connection!)
support for either lowering the point requirement or making it cumulative. i feel like everyone replying with "but there needs to be hard achievements!!" or similar sentiments missed the point entirely. the core issue isn't just that this achievement is difficult, it's that it's completely inaccessible to many with fine motor disabilities. it doesn't feel like a test of your skill so much as a test of your abledness (or the quality of your internet connection!)
Palestinian flagaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
grey/juniper «a
he/him «a
fr+2 «a
pings OK «a
Official artwork of the tome of Forseti from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. It is dark green with elaborate white detailing.
[quote name="@MissAri" date="2023-06-11 23:51:38" ] No support. I kept thinking to myself, [i]I have this achievement but people are saying 1 million points takes over an hour? Surely not...![/i] And yeah, I was right. I'm a little rusty, but just knocked this out: [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/b93c5ff1ab8e79be897c0bfd17990860/a7840aeff007573d-d4/s400x600/4b2c17ac3db693e3faaed64643b9d597dacacce7.png[/img] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/a0018ce5e9546c31d5e7f698a8d00d68/a7840aeff007573d-bb/s1280x1920/1d7204c089f380740b41bbb9d7c182e1168be2b5.png[/img] I think the achievement as it stands is perfectly fair- you can either play slowly and less skillfully for a longer time and get the required points, or you can get pretty good at Shock Switch and you'll have the points in 20 minutes or less. I'm sure I could do it faster if I was playing it regularly again, I just tend to prefer Jigsaw and Mahjong atm. If anyone is interested, I could make a video guide on how to rack up points and combos so you're not stuck slogging along for an hour. Cheers! [emoji=lightning rune size=1] [/quote] Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean everybody else can. Some of us have neurological issues that make this especially hard. To put it another way, just because you can walk doesn't mean I don't need a wheelchair. *mic drop*
@MissAri wrote on 2023-06-11 23:51:38:
No support.

I kept thinking to myself, I have this achievement but people are saying 1 million points takes over an hour? Surely not...!

And yeah, I was right. I'm a little rusty, but just knocked this out:

4b2c17ac3db693e3faaed64643b9d597dacacce7.png

1d7204c089f380740b41bbb9d7c182e1168be2b5.png

I think the achievement as it stands is perfectly fair- you can either play slowly and less skillfully for a longer time and get the required points, or you can get pretty good at Shock Switch and you'll have the points in 20 minutes or less. I'm sure I could do it faster if I was playing it regularly again, I just tend to prefer Jigsaw and Mahjong atm. If anyone is interested, I could make a video guide on how to rack up points and combos so you're not stuck slogging along for an hour. Cheers!

Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean everybody else can. Some of us have neurological issues that make this especially hard.

To put it another way, just because you can walk doesn't mean I don't need a wheelchair. *mic drop*
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="Lewyn" date="2023-06-12 14:25:20" ] support for either lowering the point requirement or making it cumulative. i feel like everyone replying with "but there needs to be hard achievements!!" or similar sentiments missed the point entirely. the core issue isn't just that this achievement is difficult, it's that it's completely inaccessible to many with fine motor disabilities. it doesn't feel like a test of your skill so much as a test of your abledness (or the quality of your internet connection!) [/quote] ^Both this and G&G achievements are impossible for me because of my neurological issues. While I'm glad that there are other ways to earn POINTS for the shop, which is the main thing I was worried about with the achievement system, I'm still having FOMO that there are some achievements _I literally will not be able to complete because they are impossible for me_ and I'm getting really tired of people thinking the problem is that I haven't ~watched enough tutorials~ or ~don't have patience~ or this or that, no it's because I have brain hard-wiring stuff going on that I can't fix.
Lewyn wrote on 2023-06-12 14:25:20:

^Both this and G&G achievements are impossible for me because of my neurological issues. While I'm glad that there are other ways to earn POINTS for the shop, which is the main thing I was worried about with the achievement system, I'm still having FOMO that there are some achievements _I literally will not be able to complete because they are impossible for me_ and I'm getting really tired of people thinking the problem is that I haven't ~watched enough tutorials~ or ~don't have patience~ or this or that, no it's because I have brain hard-wiring stuff going on that I can't fix.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="Helcaraxe" date="2023-06-12 16:36:58" ] Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean everybody else can. Some of us have neurological issues that make this especially hard. To put it another way, just because you can walk doesn't mean I don't need a wheelchair. *mic drop* [/quote] @Helcaraxe This is not the mic drop moment you think it is. To use your analogy: just because I completed the marathon at a full sprint doesn't mean it can't be completed with a wheelchair. My post is intended to show that most people are flat out playing Shock Switch wrong- they think the only option is to play for over an hour by basically clicking at random, and that's just not the case. It can actually be really fun, and there are tricks you can use at [i]any[/i] difficulty level to make the process less of a misery. And thankfully, Shock Switch is already set up with a lot of accommodations in place. If you struggle with clicky games (which most of the fairgrounds is), Shock Switch can be done with a keyboard. If you can't play it quickly or struggle with the colours, there are slow modes and options with fewer block types. If the flashing lights and animations are a bother, there is a version specifically with low effects. There is a pause button if you aren't able to play for long stretches at a time. But if you flat out [i]cannot[/i] play Shock Switch, that is why there are so many other achievements and pursuits available to the playerbase. Going back to our walking vs running marathon analogy, if you can't do the marathon because you can't go outside- well, that's not really the fault of the marathon. Yes, it is unfortunate and often unfun when we can't do things that other people can- but even so, I'm not going to say the marathon should be cancelled.
Helcaraxe wrote on 2023-06-12 16:36:58:
Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean everybody else can. Some of us have neurological issues that make this especially hard.

To put it another way, just because you can walk doesn't mean I don't need a wheelchair. *mic drop*

@Helcaraxe

This is not the mic drop moment you think it is. To use your analogy: just because I completed the marathon at a full sprint doesn't mean it can't be completed with a wheelchair.

My post is intended to show that most people are flat out playing Shock Switch wrong- they think the only option is to play for over an hour by basically clicking at random, and that's just not the case. It can actually be really fun, and there are tricks you can use at any difficulty level to make the process less of a misery.

And thankfully, Shock Switch is already set up with a lot of accommodations in place. If you struggle with clicky games (which most of the fairgrounds is), Shock Switch can be done with a keyboard. If you can't play it quickly or struggle with the colours, there are slow modes and options with fewer block types. If the flashing lights and animations are a bother, there is a version specifically with low effects. There is a pause button if you aren't able to play for long stretches at a time.

But if you flat out cannot play Shock Switch, that is why there are so many other achievements and pursuits available to the playerbase. Going back to our walking vs running marathon analogy, if you can't do the marathon because you can't go outside- well, that's not really the fault of the marathon. Yes, it is unfortunate and often unfun when we can't do things that other people can- but even so, I'm not going to say the marathon should be cancelled.
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
[quote name="@MissAri" date="2023-06-11 23:51:38" ] If anyone is interested, I could make a video guide on how to rack up points and combos so you're not stuck slogging along for an hour. Cheers! [/quote] I would very much be interested in that guide. As far as I can tell from a search in the last few days, nobody even knows how the points work in this game. I was able to find exactly one old guide thread, and the diagrams were too confusing to understand what the author was trying to explain. I think you must be much better than average at Shock Switch to have managed the score in 20 minutes. I'm pretty decent at a wide range of these kinds of pet site games, and several tries on several difficulty levels have netted me no more than 600k points, and that attempt took 40+ minutes. On topic for this thread, I support adding some additional Shock Switch achievements at lower point scores so the practicing feels somewhat worthwhile. (And revisiting the payout to time investment ratio for this game. I never play it because it takes forever, causes really bad pain in my wrists, and for all of that you only get like 20kt.)
@MissAri wrote on 2023-06-11 23:51:38:
If anyone is interested, I could make a video guide on how to rack up points and combos so you're not stuck slogging along for an hour. Cheers!

I would very much be interested in that guide. As far as I can tell from a search in the last few days, nobody even knows how the points work in this game. I was able to find exactly one old guide thread, and the diagrams were too confusing to understand what the author was trying to explain.

I think you must be much better than average at Shock Switch to have managed the score in 20 minutes. I'm pretty decent at a wide range of these kinds of pet site games, and several tries on several difficulty levels have netted me no more than 600k points, and that attempt took 40+ minutes.

On topic for this thread, I support adding some additional Shock Switch achievements at lower point scores so the practicing feels somewhat worthwhile. (And revisiting the payout to time investment ratio for this game. I never play it because it takes forever, causes really bad pain in my wrists, and for all of that you only get like 20kt.)
nInTqKu.png
[quote name="@MissAri" date="2023-06-12 17:02:02" ] My post is intended to show that most people are flat out playing Shock Switch wrong- they think the only option is to play for over an hour by basically clicking at random, and that's just not the case. It can actually be really fun, and there are tricks you can use at [i]any[/i] difficulty level to make the process less of a misery. And thankfully, Shock Switch is already set up with a lot of accommodations in place. If you struggle with clicky games (which most of the fairgrounds is), Shock Switch can be done with a keyboard. If you can't play it quickly or struggle with the colours, there are slow modes and options with fewer block types. If the flashing lights and animations are a bother, there is a version specifically with low effects. There is a pause button if you aren't able to play for long stretches at a time. [/quote] I doubt most of us are clicking at random - I'm certainly not. Keyboard is also too slow at any significant speed - when you need to get from the top to the bottom, it's 8 or 9 individual taps instead of a split second movement. The slower modes drastically reduce the points per match, which is where many of the slow times you're seeing come from. Like I said in the original post, yes, it's possible. You are an example of that. That doesn't mean it's actually feasible for a large swath of people. A video would be great, but I don't think it's going to overcome some pretty fundamental issues with the achievement.
@MissAri wrote on 2023-06-12 17:02:02:
My post is intended to show that most people are flat out playing Shock Switch wrong- they think the only option is to play for over an hour by basically clicking at random, and that's just not the case. It can actually be really fun, and there are tricks you can use at any difficulty level to make the process less of a misery.

And thankfully, Shock Switch is already set up with a lot of accommodations in place. If you struggle with clicky games (which most of the fairgrounds is), Shock Switch can be done with a keyboard. If you can't play it quickly or struggle with the colours, there are slow modes and options with fewer block types. If the flashing lights and animations are a bother, there is a version specifically with low effects. There is a pause button if you aren't able to play for long stretches at a time.

I doubt most of us are clicking at random - I'm certainly not. Keyboard is also too slow at any significant speed - when you need to get from the top to the bottom, it's 8 or 9 individual taps instead of a split second movement. The slower modes drastically reduce the points per match, which is where many of the slow times you're seeing come from.

Like I said in the original post, yes, it's possible. You are an example of that. That doesn't mean it's actually feasible for a large swath of people.

A video would be great, but I don't think it's going to overcome some pretty fundamental issues with the achievement.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Big support, I loathe the game for a variety of reasons and seeing the high score needed for the achievement has my hackles up even more.
Big support, I loathe the game for a variety of reasons and seeing the high score needed for the achievement has my hackles up even more.
sN7OFwo.pngGbuT06g.pngcDKoVmo.pngypkYF0y.pnggIVnoKR.pngAK7QxV1.pngTz9zkEa.png
6JqFst1.png
8xADJuh.png
Support
I guess I get where some of yall are coming from. I can do it pretty quickly on hard mode in less than 5min anyone who doesn't have neuro issues probably could if they just tried it but it stresses me out and if you have motor control/neuro issues it would be so much harder and next to impossible.
Edit: Yea nevermind I was thinking of the 100,000 thousand one. This is impossible for me
Support
I guess I get where some of yall are coming from. I can do it pretty quickly on hard mode in less than 5min anyone who doesn't have neuro issues probably could if they just tried it but it stresses me out and if you have motor control/neuro issues it would be so much harder and next to impossible.
Edit: Yea nevermind I was thinking of the 100,000 thousand one. This is impossible for me
6170d1951dd00a76054e0be373068f46a32933c9.png
Support, for all the reasons previously listed.

I feel this achievement crosses some line that makes it more frustrating than difficult in the skill-based way intended. I've tried to get it multiple times since release and each attempt resulted in 30-50 minutes of effort being wasted, sometimes because the constant stress it puts on my wrist for that long means my hand shakes to the point I can't click with the accuracy the game needs. With how long it takes to get the needed 1,000,000 points, it crosses from skill being required to a good wifi connection/lack of motor & neuro issues being required.

Alternate achievement ideas could be something like "get 250,000 points on easy"/"get 250,000 points on medium"/"get 250,000 points on hard" or something like that (maybe 500,000 points?), to suggest something that hasn't been outright stated by someone else in this thread.
Support, for all the reasons previously listed.

I feel this achievement crosses some line that makes it more frustrating than difficult in the skill-based way intended. I've tried to get it multiple times since release and each attempt resulted in 30-50 minutes of effort being wasted, sometimes because the constant stress it puts on my wrist for that long means my hand shakes to the point I can't click with the accuracy the game needs. With how long it takes to get the needed 1,000,000 points, it crosses from skill being required to a good wifi connection/lack of motor & neuro issues being required.

Alternate achievement ideas could be something like "get 250,000 points on easy"/"get 250,000 points on medium"/"get 250,000 points on hard" or something like that (maybe 500,000 points?), to suggest something that hasn't been outright stated by someone else in this thread.
No support. I get disability/hardware/internet/etc issues, but at the same time it's a small side feature is a relatively easy game. It's not blocking of a lot of features or resources - you'd get more rewards doing your daily pursuits. No one can see the exact achievements you have, as far as I'm aware. It's fine to have something for more hardcore players - something they feel real good about completing.

What I *wouldn't* mind being changed would be bugs or optimization of the game to make it run better, or maybe giving a small grace period before game over, or balance buffs to the score maybe. Something to make it more enjoyable to play overall *everyone* - achievement hunters, hardcore achievement hunters, or just players trying to have fun. And that goes for all the games - not just the ones with 'too hard' achievements.

Edit: I’ve had some time to think, so I’ll add in a few ideas to make SS a bit better to play.
- If a player hasn’t made a move in X seconds, or is about to lose, show a potential swap (as Artifracture does). May help to keep the game moving (and from becoming overwhelming) when there are many blocks on screen. Could be togglable.
- Slow/Speed up the game within a difficulty - keeping the scoring and blocks for that level, but adjusting the speed of the blocks.
- Make the preview of the next blocks easier to see
- On the same note, adjusts the saturation/value of the blocks so they’re easier to tell apart at a glance
- Backup save - in case the tab is closed without exiting from the pause screen, save the player’s progress and give them the option to continue upon their next visit. Would help in case the device/internet crashes or the player needs to leave their device/take a longer break but doesn’t want to leave it running.
- Adjusting of scoring - others have said this, but it might help to balance the scoring between difficulties, and in general.
No support. I get disability/hardware/internet/etc issues, but at the same time it's a small side feature is a relatively easy game. It's not blocking of a lot of features or resources - you'd get more rewards doing your daily pursuits. No one can see the exact achievements you have, as far as I'm aware. It's fine to have something for more hardcore players - something they feel real good about completing.

What I *wouldn't* mind being changed would be bugs or optimization of the game to make it run better, or maybe giving a small grace period before game over, or balance buffs to the score maybe. Something to make it more enjoyable to play overall *everyone* - achievement hunters, hardcore achievement hunters, or just players trying to have fun. And that goes for all the games - not just the ones with 'too hard' achievements.

Edit: I’ve had some time to think, so I’ll add in a few ideas to make SS a bit better to play.
- If a player hasn’t made a move in X seconds, or is about to lose, show a potential swap (as Artifracture does). May help to keep the game moving (and from becoming overwhelming) when there are many blocks on screen. Could be togglable.
- Slow/Speed up the game within a difficulty - keeping the scoring and blocks for that level, but adjusting the speed of the blocks.
- Make the preview of the next blocks easier to see
- On the same note, adjusts the saturation/value of the blocks so they’re easier to tell apart at a glance
- Backup save - in case the tab is closed without exiting from the pause screen, save the player’s progress and give them the option to continue upon their next visit. Would help in case the device/internet crashes or the player needs to leave their device/take a longer break but doesn’t want to leave it running.
- Adjusting of scoring - others have said this, but it might help to balance the scoring between difficulties, and in general.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20