Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Fest GENES?
1 2 3 4
I'm also so torn about it!!

Very Flipping Excited!! Because of course cool exciting line breaking terts! My mind is racing at the possibilities!

But also heartbroken because it would only be right for elemental genes to apply to the matching ancients, and we're still down a few (light v obviously is way too soon next month, and its a lot to hope that the lightning ancient would be ready in time for thundercrack. nature ancient probably before next greenskeep?? after that only one i think remotely possible to be in time for fest would be wind and its still waaaay to early to call lmao)

I hope they get expanded down the line, so when the light ancient launches it can benefit from the light themed gene.

I'm also so torn about it!!

Very Flipping Excited!! Because of course cool exciting line breaking terts! My mind is racing at the possibilities!

But also heartbroken because it would only be right for elemental genes to apply to the matching ancients, and we're still down a few (light v obviously is way too soon next month, and its a lot to hope that the lightning ancient would be ready in time for thundercrack. nature ancient probably before next greenskeep?? after that only one i think remotely possible to be in time for fest would be wind and its still waaaay to early to call lmao)

I hope they get expanded down the line, so when the light ancient launches it can benefit from the light themed gene.

Flowering Vulpine Plushie Xan ~ he/him/she/her
+3 hrs FR time
Meanwhile, I can't get very excited because it seems to be heralding a (possibly permanent, given the fact the genes are staying) removal of an apparel space :<

I'm hooooping at least the current elemental ones can get their element; it'll be kind of disappointing if, say, Banescales don't get the fire one.
Meanwhile, I can't get very excited because it seems to be heralding a (possibly permanent, given the fact the genes are staying) removal of an apparel space :<

I'm hooooping at least the current elemental ones can get their element; it'll be kind of disappointing if, say, Banescales don't get the fire one.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
Neat!

Folks are worrying about the breed distributions being funky, but there's an easy solution here: Release for some of the existing ancients this year, then introduce the gene to other existing and future ancients on following years!

That way there's something more to look forward to each year, these genes won't be restricted top the current batch of ancients, and eventually every element can have a matching gene/breed combo! It also reduces the stress on the artists so they don't have to make all the genes fit all the existing breeds all at once!
Neat!

Folks are worrying about the breed distributions being funky, but there's an easy solution here: Release for some of the existing ancients this year, then introduce the gene to other existing and future ancients on following years!

That way there's something more to look forward to each year, these genes won't be restricted top the current batch of ancients, and eventually every element can have a matching gene/breed combo! It also reduces the stress on the artists so they don't have to make all the genes fit all the existing breeds all at once!
KUs4mKR.png yaSdaPU.pngNJq1GMz.png
Feel free to call me Lil and please ping me if you need to get my attention.
Dadgum I hadn’t read that! That’s so exciting, genes are my favorite, heheheh ;D

Maybe it will be one Ancient Breed per festival, at least for the first cycle? Oh boy oh boy I wonder what the Plague gene is gonna be!
Dadgum I hadn’t read that! That’s so exciting, genes are my favorite, heheheh ;D

Maybe it will be one Ancient Breed per festival, at least for the first cycle? Oh boy oh boy I wonder what the Plague gene is gonna be!
im honestly really baffled why this is being pushed this year rather than having waited until every elemental ancient was created, but the track the devs are going down seems to be what was intended all along for ancients so i guess i just have to learn to adapt. it seems to be getting tricky for the devs now to balance the users who are fans of moderns and those who are fans of ancients, the work is split amongst two different teams but the amount each is capable of producing is variable. i dunno it feels like updates have become a bit breakneck and its probably to do with the whole worldwide pandemic thing slowly fading back to normal and all these hurdles being removed, uh maybe there is a point to what i typed up i got sick and am running off fumes for the past week pretty much.
im honestly really baffled why this is being pushed this year rather than having waited until every elemental ancient was created, but the track the devs are going down seems to be what was intended all along for ancients so i guess i just have to learn to adapt. it seems to be getting tricky for the devs now to balance the users who are fans of moderns and those who are fans of ancients, the work is split amongst two different teams but the amount each is capable of producing is variable. i dunno it feels like updates have become a bit breakneck and its probably to do with the whole worldwide pandemic thing slowly fading back to normal and all these hurdles being removed, uh maybe there is a point to what i typed up i got sick and am running off fumes for the past week pretty much.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
Come to it about crunch, it’s actually possible this could REDUCE crunch if the gene takes the place of an apparel item in the festival shop, since it would be getting drawn on a probably-small number of Ancient breeds instead of (checks encyclopedia) 15 modern breeds. There IS the addition of the need for hatchling gene art that doesn’t happen with apparel, but if my math is correct, even drawing gene art for ALL of the current Ancients at once would still be fewer new images than adding one apparel piece for Moderns
Come to it about crunch, it’s actually possible this could REDUCE crunch if the gene takes the place of an apparel item in the festival shop, since it would be getting drawn on a probably-small number of Ancient breeds instead of (checks encyclopedia) 15 modern breeds. There IS the addition of the need for hatchling gene art that doesn’t happen with apparel, but if my math is correct, even drawing gene art for ALL of the current Ancients at once would still be fewer new images than adding one apparel piece for Moderns
I'm both excited and a little worried that this means that future ancients for elements currently without them won't get those fest-exclusive genes. It's possible they'll keep the genes because they'll be adding it for new ancients in the fest cycle so that the future ancients currently left out will get some, but it's still a bit sad, especially if the genes are very cool.

OTOH as Churrell mentioned this could reduce crunch given how much work apparel is, and it's possible they could add more like I said. There's just no way of knowing until it happens.
I'm both excited and a little worried that this means that future ancients for elements currently without them won't get those fest-exclusive genes. It's possible they'll keep the genes because they'll be adding it for new ancients in the fest cycle so that the future ancients currently left out will get some, but it's still a bit sad, especially if the genes are very cool.

OTOH as Churrell mentioned this could reduce crunch given how much work apparel is, and it's possible they could add more like I said. There's just no way of knowing until it happens.
[quote name="Seadramon" date="2023-05-28 06:33:36" ] I'd say my only concern is they try to balance out gene distribution among the breeds, since rn it feels a bit lopsided in favour of certain ancients. [/quote] I can imagine that they do two breeds this year and then next cycle do two more breeds for the same gene. They could do that for several years.
Seadramon wrote on 2023-05-28 06:33:36:
I'd say my only concern is they try to balance out gene distribution among the breeds, since rn it feels a bit lopsided in favour of certain ancients.

I can imagine that they do two breeds this year and then next cycle do two more breeds for the same gene. They could do that for several years.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
[quote name="bulrush" date="2023-05-28 09:14:22" ] im honestly really baffled why this is being pushed this year rather than having waited until every elemental ancient was created. [/quote] me too. i hope that means later on whenever light gets its ancient that tert will become available for them too, but idk how much confidence i have. sometimes it seems like the devs don't think these things through i.e. the eye fiasco(s). it's a cool idea but i don't think it's fair to the flights without an ancient to be doing it this fest cycle.
bulrush wrote on 2023-05-28 09:14:22:
im honestly really baffled why this is being pushed this year rather than having waited until every elemental ancient was created.
me too. i hope that means later on whenever light gets its ancient that tert will become available for them too, but idk how much confidence i have. sometimes it seems like the devs don't think these things through i.e. the eye fiasco(s).

it's a cool idea but i don't think it's fair to the flights without an ancient to be doing it this fest cycle.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
[quote name="skinklegs" date="2023-05-28 09:40:20" ] [quote name="bulrush" date="2023-05-28 09:14:22" ] im honestly really baffled why this is being pushed this year rather than having waited until every elemental ancient was created. [/quote] me too. i hope that means later on whenever light gets its ancient that tert will become available for them too, but idk how much confidence i have. sometimes it seems like the devs don't think these things through i.e. the eye fiasco(s). it's a cool idea but i don't think it's fair to the flights without an ancient to be doing it this fest cycle. [/quote] If they [i]are[/i] doing it to reduce crunch, it's probably just be unfortunate timing that they had to push this forward to reduce stress on the artists before all the elemental ancients were released. There are definitely ways to handle it to be more fair to unreleased ancients, so if they don't do that, it can definitely be suggested to them at a later date! But it might already be planned, we just don't know.
skinklegs wrote on 2023-05-28 09:40:20:
bulrush wrote on 2023-05-28 09:14:22:
im honestly really baffled why this is being pushed this year rather than having waited until every elemental ancient was created.
me too. i hope that means later on whenever light gets its ancient that tert will become available for them too, but idk how much confidence i have. sometimes it seems like the devs don't think these things through i.e. the eye fiasco(s).

it's a cool idea but i don't think it's fair to the flights without an ancient to be doing it this fest cycle.

If they are doing it to reduce crunch, it's probably just be unfortunate timing that they had to push this forward to reduce stress on the artists before all the elemental ancients were released. There are definitely ways to handle it to be more fair to unreleased ancients, so if they don't do that, it can definitely be suggested to them at a later date! But it might already be planned, we just don't know.
1 2 3 4