Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [PlagueDom] Plague's Bug Report Thread!
1 2 3 4 5 6
Found this pretty little guy in the garden the other day. It is the caterpillar of a [url=https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/194764-Trichiocercus-sparshalli]long-tailed bombyx[/url] :) [img]https://cdn.imgchest.com/files/myd5cdonj4b.jpg[/img]
Found this pretty little guy in the garden the other day. It is the caterpillar of a long-tailed bombyx :)

myd5cdonj4b.jpg
o723_d01L_findingpears.pngo723_d02_findingpears.pngo723_d03_findingpears.pngo723_d04_findingpears.pngo723_d05_findingpears.pngo723_d01R_findingpears.png __
FR+19
she / her
wishlist
art shop
__
____________ ____ l4necl8jk4m.png
[img]https://i.imgur.com/t151GCs.jpg[/img] I've got a bumblebee as a visitor in my garden about two years ago. He was so tired that even can't lift up the branch. So I've prepared him a teacup of water and honey so he can rest and get stronger before continuing his journey. I've also made a short movie while he's drinking (so cute tongue he had *.*)
t151GCs.jpg

I've got a bumblebee as a visitor in my garden about two years ago. He was so tired that even can't lift up the branch. So I've prepared him a teacup of water and honey so he can rest and get stronger before continuing his journey.
I've also made a short movie while he's drinking (so cute tongue he had *.*)
Swimming with Willy
Walk like a penguin
Fly like an eagerr... dragon...
https://discord.gg/MEXJ4xfs
[center][color=maroon][size=7][b]BUG FACTS![/b][/size][/color] [emoji=butterfly size=2] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=rhino beetle size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 3 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=spider size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 2 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=blue bee size=1] [size=4][b]Zombie Bugs[/b] We’re all at the very least familiar with a series called The Last of Us, right? It’s about a fungus, of the genus Cordyceps, that gains the ability to infect humans and turns them into zombie-like creatures, with the sole purpose of spreading the infection – the fungus itself – further. This is very much a real fungus, although it doesn’t have the ability to infect vertebrates (and thus humans); it’s a bug parasitoid. There are many fungi that are capable of infecting insects – they’re called entomopathogenic fungi, and can end up killing their hosts. Curiously, although all phyla can have fungi capable of infecting insects, the majority seems to belong to phyla Ascomycota and Zygomycota. Cordyceps is perhaps the most famous thanks to its ability to “zombify” its host, changing its behaviour in order to complete its life cycle and maximize its ability to spread its spores. But! Did you know other arthropods have the ability to “control” bugs in order to complete their life cycle? Some parasitoid wasps can change the behaviour of insects to better increase the odds of survival of the larvae, including forcing the host to construct silk cocoons as protection (potentially from predation, and likely from hyperparasitism). The deposition of eggs on a host is itself considered a form of parasitism, although it may not involve behavioural changes. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1103387708958720131/1103387730131570829/image.png[/img] Aside from this very interesting mechanism of survival, it’s possible to utilize parasitoid wasps as pest control. For example, some species only seek out other specific species of insects, and thus can be used as a method of populational control or even to fight off invasive species. [emoji=butterfly size=2] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=rhino beetle size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 3 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=spider size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 2 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=blue bee size=1] Let me finish this off with a cool example for you: [i]Xenos peckii[/i] is an insect that parasites paper wasps and changes their behaviour, making them lose social instincts and abandon its group; this parasite can also make the wasp live longer. [url=https://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/european-northern-paper-wasps-nest-parasites-534182/]Here’s the full piece talking about this, if you’d like to read more![/url] Also, if you've noticed the absence of yesterday's bug fact... I did get a bit caught up with college, and likely will be for the rest of the week. So here's the deal: you guys will be getting an extra bug fact, either on another day of the week or on Sunday! :3c ----- [size=2]Sinha, K. K., Choudhary, A. K., & Kumari, P. (2016). Entomopathogenic Fungi. Ecofriendly Pest Management for Food Security, 475–505. doi:10.1016/b978-0-12-803265-7.00015-4 [url=https://esj-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1007/s11284-006-0153-2]Tanaka, S., & Ohsaki, N. (2006). Behavioral manipulation of host caterpillars by the primary parasitoid wasp Cotesia glomerata (L.) to construct defensive webs against hyperparasitism. In Ecological Research (Vol. 21, Issue 4, pp. 570–577). Wiley. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-006-0153-2 [/url] Images from [i]Wikimedia Commons[/i]! [/size] [b]Entomology Club - The Daily Pinglist![/b] @BeeWhisperer @Gormanghaste @Kauria @Tinytrashchild @TETRAHEDR0N @Airazon @KryoMichli @Vertigris @Doozie @BunnySox @kilorechoy @Supremedorklord @Jeevas @SatyrGatyr Want to join? Just let me know!
BUG FACTS!

Zombie Bugs

We’re all at the very least familiar with a series called The Last of Us, right? It’s about a fungus, of the genus Cordyceps, that gains the ability to infect humans and turns them into zombie-like creatures, with the sole purpose of spreading the infection – the fungus itself – further. This is very much a real fungus, although it doesn’t have the ability to infect vertebrates (and thus humans); it’s a bug parasitoid.

There are many fungi that are capable of infecting insects – they’re called entomopathogenic fungi, and can end up killing their hosts. Curiously, although all phyla can have fungi capable of infecting insects, the majority seems to belong to phyla Ascomycota and Zygomycota. Cordyceps is perhaps the most famous thanks to its ability to “zombify” its host, changing its behaviour in order to complete its life cycle and maximize its ability to spread its spores.

But! Did you know other arthropods have the ability to “control” bugs in order to complete their life cycle? Some parasitoid wasps can change the behaviour of insects to better increase the odds of survival of the larvae, including forcing the host to construct silk cocoons as protection (potentially from predation, and likely from hyperparasitism). The deposition of eggs on a host is itself considered a form of parasitism, although it may not involve behavioural changes.

image.png

Aside from this very interesting mechanism of survival, it’s possible to utilize parasitoid wasps as pest control. For example, some species only seek out other specific species of insects, and thus can be used as a method of populational control or even to fight off invasive species.

Let me finish this off with a cool example for you: Xenos peckii is an insect that parasites paper wasps and changes their behaviour, making them lose social instincts and abandon its group; this parasite can also make the wasp live longer. Here’s the full piece talking about this, if you’d like to read more!

Also, if you've noticed the absence of yesterday's bug fact... I did get a bit caught up with college, and likely will be for the rest of the week. So here's the deal: you guys will be getting an extra bug fact, either on another day of the week or on Sunday! :3c

Sinha, K. K., Choudhary, A. K., & Kumari, P. (2016). Entomopathogenic Fungi. Ecofriendly Pest Management for Food Security, 475–505. doi:10.1016/b978-0-12-803265-7.00015-4

Tanaka, S., & Ohsaki, N. (2006). Behavioral manipulation of host caterpillars by the primary parasitoid wasp Cotesia glomerata (L.) to construct defensive webs against hyperparasitism. In Ecological Research (Vol. 21, Issue 4, pp. 570–577). Wiley. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-006-0153-2

Images from Wikimedia Commons!

Entomology Club - The Daily Pinglist!

@BeeWhisperer @Gormanghaste @Kauria @Tinytrashchild @TETRAHEDR0N @Airazon @KryoMichli @Vertigris @Doozie @BunnySox @kilorechoy @Supremedorklord @Jeevas @SatyrGatyr

Want to join? Just let me know!

I am trapped as the strong wind flies
And when the stars won't shine for us
Then what’s to gain?
_ qIoInxi.png
parasitism isn't an easy thing to learn about especially when you're a hypochondriac but i've always wondered why bugs and insects seem to get some of the roughest treatment in terms of parasites and just general messed up things other bugs will do to each other (learned what's up with assassin bugs after seeing someone post a picture of one). is there something about their body plans or nervous systems that lend to an easier time for parasites to infect? arthropods in the oceans and on land don't have these sort of crazy interactions with others of their ilk. maybe its because insects were the first animals to colonize land and the niches available were tremendous and they just went wild? or maybe its a way of evolutionary population control, the amount of ants alone on this earth is scary to think about... well it could be all of the above too since science very rarely has one definitive reason for an outcome.

ok nevermind about the arthropod thing just learned about half of all copepod species are parasitic.
parasitism isn't an easy thing to learn about especially when you're a hypochondriac but i've always wondered why bugs and insects seem to get some of the roughest treatment in terms of parasites and just general messed up things other bugs will do to each other (learned what's up with assassin bugs after seeing someone post a picture of one). is there something about their body plans or nervous systems that lend to an easier time for parasites to infect? arthropods in the oceans and on land don't have these sort of crazy interactions with others of their ilk. maybe its because insects were the first animals to colonize land and the niches available were tremendous and they just went wild? or maybe its a way of evolutionary population control, the amount of ants alone on this earth is scary to think about... well it could be all of the above too since science very rarely has one definitive reason for an outcome.

ok nevermind about the arthropod thing just learned about half of all copepod species are parasitic.
golden line with blue and white pearls and diamonds
Oh, I've heard of parasitoid wasps! They're great for helping control tomato and tobacco hornworms on our poor tomato plants. We had a bad infestation of them last year. An infected hornworm covered with cocoons is definitely a weird and intriguing sight!

It was also my first step in learning that not all wasps are harmful to humans! Some wasps are indeed friends.
Oh, I've heard of parasitoid wasps! They're great for helping control tomato and tobacco hornworms on our poor tomato plants. We had a bad infestation of them last year. An infected hornworm covered with cocoons is definitely a weird and intriguing sight!

It was also my first step in learning that not all wasps are harmful to humans! Some wasps are indeed friends.
XZHBdwO.gif___Oh5fgzz.png___UjPne50.gif
I come in, last minute, to share some buggos. First, a lovely little ladybuggo who hitched a ride with some field garlic I was harvesting! I snapped a picture before putting them back in the sun to dry off. [center][img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/311595817465282570/1104640714207412334/93B0D606-C811-48EE-8BBA-90C839C3E906.jpg[/img][/center] And next, a mystery? A squishy mystery? I found this mystery under a flagstone, and they didn't seem to mind being moved twenty feet to a more optimal sleeping place. [center][img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/311595817465282570/1104640713716682843/IMG_3848.jpg[/img][/center]
I come in, last minute, to share some buggos.

First, a lovely little ladybuggo who hitched a ride with some field garlic I was harvesting! I snapped a picture before putting them back in the sun to dry off.
93B0D606-C811-48EE-8BBA-90C839C3E906.jpg

And next, a mystery? A squishy mystery? I found this mystery under a flagstone, and they didn't seem to mind being moved twenty feet to a more optimal sleeping place.
IMG_3848.jpg
FR+3
dragonfly i got some pics of a while back :D i love these guys [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/491032680285077525/1104652715180707940/3be1b976-164d-46f2-8478-49e08dbdb19d.jpg[/img] @ranmaru pls add me to the pinglist!
dragonfly i got some pics of a while back :D i love these guys
3be1b976-164d-46f2-8478-49e08dbdb19d.jpg

@ranmaru pls add me to the pinglist!
1 2 3 4 5 6