Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [PlagueDom] Plague's Bug Report Thread!
@Ranmaru Please add me to the Entomology Club (ping list)! Here are a couple cool caterpillars. Pandora sphinx caterpillar. [img]https://static.inaturalist.org/photos/6798704/large.jpg[/img] Spun glass slug moth caterpillar. All their spikes have venom. [img]https://objects.liquidweb.services/images/201807/bob_cammarata_20715522389_5904bac645_c.jpg[/img]
@Ranmaru
Please add me to the Entomology Club (ping list)!
Here are a couple cool caterpillars.

Pandora sphinx caterpillar.
large.jpg

Spun glass slug moth caterpillar. All their spikes have venom.
bob_cammarata_20715522389_5904bac645_c.jpg
Ferberus-Kitten.png
CYBqRJK.png
first let me begin with a not-friend, [b]*warning centipede alert) [/b][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolopendra_subspinipes][i]Scolopendra subspinipes.[/i][/url] being in plague for, what, 9 years now?? you'd think I'd enjoy [i]huge centipede tm.[/i] I don't. They are my certified enemies. Millipedes? Good friends of mine. [img]https://i.imgur.com/5XAwds1.png[/img] Why does one fear the centipede but embrace the millipede? Is it the 'pedes legs, its big old pinchers...? But I appreciate lobsters, and centipedes are kinda like long lobsters, or longsters if you will. I don't know, but I don't like these things. [i]Scolopendra subspinipes[/i] are an invasive species. I became acquainted with them while in Hawai'i where a very large specimen made its way into my friends' house. Much screaming ensured. A lot of invasive bugs live in Hawai'i, like mosquitoes... gah. If any pro-centipedes propagandists out there want to try and change my mind, I am open to trying to embrace the 'pede.

first let me begin with a not-friend, *warning centipede alert) Scolopendra subspinipes.

being in plague for, what, 9 years now?? you'd think I'd enjoy huge centipede tm.
I don't. They are my certified enemies. Millipedes? Good friends of mine.
5XAwds1.png
Why does one fear the centipede but embrace the millipede? Is it the 'pedes legs, its big old pinchers...? But I appreciate lobsters, and centipedes are kinda like long lobsters, or longsters if you will. I don't know, but I don't like these things.

Scolopendra subspinipes are an invasive species. I became acquainted with them while in Hawai'i where a very large specimen made its way into my friends' house. Much screaming ensured. A lot of invasive bugs live in Hawai'i, like mosquitoes... gah.

If any pro-centipedes propagandists out there want to try and change my mind, I am open to trying to embrace the 'pede.

tBEwf9d.pngKrbfTr4.png2wxVpfx.png
@Ranmaru i'd like to be a part of the entomology club :D
@Ranmaru i'd like to be a part of the entomology club :D
DRAGONS !
not plauge (used to be) but this is very very cute, love this so bad and i hope this thread does well bc it deserves it
bug friends :]
not plauge (used to be) but this is very very cute, love this so bad and i hope this thread does well bc it deserves it
bug friends :]
To @Ranmaru
Can I be added to the Ping-list, please? :0
To @Ranmaru
Can I be added to the Ping-list, please? :0
plaguebringer_banner_small_by_theendisnearus-d8bxbln.png 1vAtYxM.png
eq6zQ9M.png
QUIpVFE.png
LCqISMP.png
rix3ppo.png
mlHpBMC.png
[center][color=maroon][size=7][b]BUG FACTS![/b][/size][/color] [emoji=butterfly size=2] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=rhino beetle size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 3 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=spider size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 2 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=blue bee size=1] [size=4][b]So... What do we consider a bug?[/b] If I ask you right now to picture an arthropod (or simply mention an arthropod), you'll surely be able to do so without too much effort. If I ask you to [i]describe[/i] what an arthropod is... It might be a bit difficult. That's the point when we can turn to literature to find a neat definition to what an arthropod is, and here's one that I really like from Giribet & Edgecombe[/size] [size=1](1)[/size][size=4]:[/size] [quote]Arthropods are ecdysozoans, a clade of molting protostomes [...]. Within Ecdysozoa, a likely clade named ‘Panarthropoda’ includes animals with paired segmental ventrolateral appendages. Panarthropods comprises three clades that many authors classify as phyla, namely Tardigrada (water bears), Onychophora (velvet worms), and Arthropoda, also called by some ‘Euarthropoda’. In all panarthropods, the body is divided at least into a head and a trunk (these structurally and functionally distinct batches of segments are known as tagmata), but more tagmata are common, such as in insects (and other hexapods) which have a head, thorax and abdomen.[/quote] [size=4]And you may ask, "cool, but why are you telling me this Ran?", and I'll have to answer: Because I want to briefly talk about the relatives to arthropods, and why, depending on how you define what a "bug" is, maybe a few of them would fit the description. And I know, this is not a really straightforward way to do so, but I wanted to bring attention to something important: [b]arthropods are ecdysozoans[/b]. In short, all animals that belong to [b]Ecdysozoa[/b] have a cuticle made of chitin, secreted by their epidermis, that is shed at least once during the animal's life cycle. This sounds very characteristic of bugs, right? They too shed their exoskeleton at least once during their life. There's two groups under Ecdysozoa: Cycloneuralia and Panarthropoda. [b]Cycloneuralia[/b] contains Scalidophora (worm-like animals with special structures called scalids) and Nematoida (Nematoda and Nematomorpha, which are nematodes and their siblings, horsehair worms). They don't look much like arthropods, and truth be told, only one phyla under Scalidophora has true segmentation of the body. They do not have any appendages, though - so, again, could we call them bugs? (If you're wondering, the name Cycloneuralia refers to the fact the brain circles the pharynx of these animals) And then [b]Panarthropoda[/b] has Tardigrada (water bears!), Onychophora (velvet worms!) and Arthropoda (... arthropods!). And now... Can we start calling them bugs? Here, take a look at the body of a tardigrade: [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/SEM_image_of_Milnesium_tardigradum_in_active_state_-_journal.pone.0045682.g001-2.png[/img] It shows segmentation, a pair of appendages for each body segment... Okay, if we consider a bug anything that has many legs... Could this be a bug? Alright, next, we'll look at a velvet worm: [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Velvet_worm.jpg[/img] There's some segmentation visible, and pairs of appendages... And, honestly, this looks like an insect, doesn't it? Could this be a bug? Finally, here's a bunch of arthropods, fossil and extant: [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Arthropoda_collage.png[/img] These are definitly bugs!! ... Right? A spider can be called a bug? Is a shrimp a bug?? [emoji=butterfly size=2] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=rhino beetle size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 3 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=spider size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=butterfly 2 size=1] [emoji=plague rune size=1] [emoji=blue bee size=1] Okay, okay. Here's the answer: true bugs should be insects from the order Hemiptera (like cicadas, aphids, planthoppers, leafhoppers...). This implies that some insects, like butterflies, are not bugs (butterflies are from the order Lepidoptera!). Of course, this doesn't apply to the coloquial use of "bugs" and what popular sense defines as bugs; there are plenty of scientists that sometimes refer to spiders as bugs, for example - especially if the audience they're speaking to has the habit to call spiders bugs. [b]What do [i]you[/i] consider a bug?[/b] For me, I consider any terrestrial arthropod a bug, and I wouldn't be opposed to calling velvet worms bugs too. Do they have many legs? Bug. Ran is happy leaving it at that. Then again... we do have some aquatic chelicerates that look like bugs... ----- [size=2](1) [url=https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2019.04.057]Giribet, G., & Edgecombe, G. D. (2019). The Phylogeny and Evolutionary History of Arthropods. In Current Biology (Vol. 29, Issue 12, pp. R592–R602). Elsevier BV. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2019.04.057[/url] Images from [i]Wikimedia Commons[/i]! [/size] [b]Entomology Club - The Daily Pinglist![/b] @BeeWhisperer @Gormanghaste @Kauria @Tinytrashchild @TETRAHEDR0N @Airazon Want to join? Just let me know!
BUG FACTS!

So... What do we consider a bug?

If I ask you right now to picture an arthropod (or simply mention an arthropod), you'll surely be able to do so without too much effort. If I ask you to describe what an arthropod is... It might be a bit difficult. That's the point when we can turn to literature to find a neat definition to what an arthropod is, and here's one that I really like from Giribet & Edgecombe
(1):
Quote:
Arthropods are ecdysozoans, a clade of molting protostomes [...]. Within Ecdysozoa, a likely clade named ‘Panarthropoda’ includes animals with paired segmental ventrolateral appendages. Panarthropods comprises three clades that many authors classify as phyla, namely Tardigrada (water bears), Onychophora (velvet worms), and Arthropoda, also called by some ‘Euarthropoda’. In all panarthropods, the body is divided at least into a head and a trunk (these structurally and functionally distinct batches of segments are known as tagmata), but more tagmata are common, such as in insects (and other hexapods) which have a head, thorax and abdomen.

And you may ask, "cool, but why are you telling me this Ran?", and I'll have to answer:

Because I want to briefly talk about the relatives to arthropods, and why, depending on how you define what a "bug" is, maybe a few of them would fit the description. And I know, this is not a really straightforward way to do so, but I wanted to bring attention to something important: arthropods are ecdysozoans.

In short, all animals that belong to Ecdysozoa have a cuticle made of chitin, secreted by their epidermis, that is shed at least once during the animal's life cycle. This sounds very characteristic of bugs, right? They too shed their exoskeleton at least once during their life.

There's two groups under Ecdysozoa: Cycloneuralia and Panarthropoda.

Cycloneuralia contains Scalidophora (worm-like animals with special structures called scalids) and Nematoida (Nematoda and Nematomorpha, which are nematodes and their siblings, horsehair worms). They don't look much like arthropods, and truth be told, only one phyla under Scalidophora has true segmentation of the body. They do not have any appendages, though - so, again, could we call them bugs? (If you're wondering, the name Cycloneuralia refers to the fact the brain circles the pharynx of these animals)

And then Panarthropoda has Tardigrada (water bears!), Onychophora (velvet worms!) and Arthropoda (... arthropods!). And now... Can we start calling them bugs?

Here, take a look at the body of a tardigrade:

SEM_image_of_Milnesium_tardigradum_in_active_state_-_journal.pone.0045682.g001-2.png

It shows segmentation, a pair of appendages for each body segment... Okay, if we consider a bug anything that has many legs... Could this be a bug?

Alright, next, we'll look at a velvet worm:

Velvet_worm.jpg

There's some segmentation visible, and pairs of appendages... And, honestly, this looks like an insect, doesn't it? Could this be a bug?

Finally, here's a bunch of arthropods, fossil and extant:

Arthropoda_collage.png

These are definitly bugs!! ... Right? A spider can be called a bug? Is a shrimp a bug??

Okay, okay. Here's the answer: true bugs should be insects from the order Hemiptera (like cicadas, aphids, planthoppers, leafhoppers...). This implies that some insects, like butterflies, are not bugs (butterflies are from the order Lepidoptera!).

Of course, this doesn't apply to the coloquial use of "bugs" and what popular sense defines as bugs; there are plenty of scientists that sometimes refer to spiders as bugs, for example - especially if the audience they're speaking to has the habit to call spiders bugs.

What do you consider a bug?

For me, I consider any terrestrial arthropod a bug, and I wouldn't be opposed to calling velvet worms bugs too. Do they have many legs? Bug. Ran is happy leaving it at that. Then again... we do have some aquatic chelicerates that look like bugs...

(1) Giribet, G., & Edgecombe, G. D. (2019). The Phylogeny and Evolutionary History of Arthropods. In Current Biology (Vol. 29, Issue 12, pp. R592–R602). Elsevier BV. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2019.04.057

Images from Wikimedia Commons!

Entomology Club - The Daily Pinglist!

@BeeWhisperer @Gormanghaste @Kauria @Tinytrashchild @TETRAHEDR0N @Airazon

Want to join? Just let me know!

I am trapped as the strong wind flies
And when the stars won't shine for us
Then what’s to gain?
_ qIoInxi.png
Coming back here to share this little friend I met in France! [img]https://i.imgur.com/fSN9X07.jpg[/img] And this lad from Portugal, held by the same guy actually haha. Little blurry picture but it was night. [img]https://i.imgur.com/2j5W0wL.jpg[/img]
Coming back here to share this little friend I met in France!

fSN9X07.jpg

And this lad from Portugal, held by the same guy actually haha. Little blurry picture but it was night.

2j5W0wL.jpg
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.png4SzSxLW.pngHouhGS9.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.png
omg buggggggs!!!OwO *jumps in exitement* can I please be added to the pinglist?
omg buggggggs!!!OwO *jumps in exitement* can I please be added to the pinglist?
s8ii3YW.png
"bug" really is a difficult category to define, its the same as grouping more savory plant matter into vegetables despite some being fruits or calling a bunch of fish shaped animals well... fish. worms get described as bugs despite them stemming from numerous different unrelated lineages (though i imagine most people are referring to earthworms rather than say a polychaete) and snails and slugs are mollusks despite also getting the bug moniker. of course this is only adding on to what's been stated, when people say they dislike or like bugs there's a strong chance spiders and other arachnids are involved and of course wood lice (check out the wikipedia article for a really long list of what else they're known as) are descended from marine isopods. my rule of thumb is if people understand what im talking about there's not much reason to be pedantic about things, there are situations where distinctions need to be made but just chatting with another person in a non-sceintific matter then a bug is whatever we feel like at the moment.

this isn't really a good place for me to hang out because im not 100% sure what bugs freak me out and which ones don't (spiders and wasps 100% though sorry guys) but i do have a passing interest in some like lepidopterans and beetles and since arthropods were brought up uh well, maybe i'll see a crab or something idk
"bug" really is a difficult category to define, its the same as grouping more savory plant matter into vegetables despite some being fruits or calling a bunch of fish shaped animals well... fish. worms get described as bugs despite them stemming from numerous different unrelated lineages (though i imagine most people are referring to earthworms rather than say a polychaete) and snails and slugs are mollusks despite also getting the bug moniker. of course this is only adding on to what's been stated, when people say they dislike or like bugs there's a strong chance spiders and other arachnids are involved and of course wood lice (check out the wikipedia article for a really long list of what else they're known as) are descended from marine isopods. my rule of thumb is if people understand what im talking about there's not much reason to be pedantic about things, there are situations where distinctions need to be made but just chatting with another person in a non-sceintific matter then a bug is whatever we feel like at the moment.

this isn't really a good place for me to hang out because im not 100% sure what bugs freak me out and which ones don't (spiders and wasps 100% though sorry guys) but i do have a passing interest in some like lepidopterans and beetles and since arthropods were brought up uh well, maybe i'll see a crab or something idk
golden line with blue and white pearls and diamonds
Hello I would like to report some flies: [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/956713166816043010/1102330976237015092/PXL_20230430_194954938.jpg[/img] hoverflies!! [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/956713166816043010/1102333245296750632/PXL_20230430_194212863.MP.jpg[/img] another hoverfly [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/956713166816043010/1102335323918311454/PXL_20230430_195550591.MP.jpg[/img] and a fruit fly Could I be added to the pinglist please?
Hello I would like to report some flies:

PXL_20230430_194954938.jpg
hoverflies!!

PXL_20230430_194212863.MP.jpg
another hoverfly

PXL_20230430_195550591.MP.jpg
and a fruit fly

Could I be added to the pinglist please?