Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Gaoler Gene Expansion
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 40 41
yippeeee.
yippeeee.
24699391_bHpOJyVs5JvINoe.png > they/he
> german
> goth
> fandom dragons
dco58ux-e51b8195-ff35-42e4-a20d-f0262e15dd63.gif
> artist
> in love with shapes
> joined 2013
> feel free to msg
dco58ux-e51b8195-ff35-42e4-a20d-f0262e15dd63.gif
Contour and angler are some of my fave terts so I'm very happy to see them here!

But mostly I'm happy for the planned updates to the gene sorting system, right now getting a parallel gene, especially from coli and other RNG methods, has become pure torture; this is a very good compromise.
Getting ANY gene from coli especially has started to feel impossible due to the bloat, I'm soooo looking forward to the change!
Contour and angler are some of my fave terts so I'm very happy to see them here!

But mostly I'm happy for the planned updates to the gene sorting system, right now getting a parallel gene, especially from coli and other RNG methods, has become pure torture; this is a very good compromise.
Getting ANY gene from coli especially has started to feel impossible due to the bloat, I'm soooo looking forward to the change!
Vista: Transgender Ribbon XXXX XXXX Vista: Pansexual Ribbon
So happy Gao's got shiny new genes - especially excited about Tide/Foam, Ribbon/Eel and Swirl/Marbled

The new shop seems more complicated than helpful, but I guess we'll see how that works out honestly.

Isn't the easiest fix just to combine the different versions of the Ancient genes into 1 item that covers all the breeds it applies too? ...... surely that would fix the problem way more effectively than having a bunch of different versions for each breed.......
So happy Gao's got shiny new genes - especially excited about Tide/Foam, Ribbon/Eel and Swirl/Marbled

The new shop seems more complicated than helpful, but I guess we'll see how that works out honestly.

Isn't the easiest fix just to combine the different versions of the Ancient genes into 1 item that covers all the breeds it applies too? ...... surely that would fix the problem way more effectively than having a bunch of different versions for each breed.......
972ee6408be03363898b64bb29e640034b1310b4.png7667dd2c536ecd719b369737ff16de5f7adb05d1.pnge6cfb360af67b7bc3881ae209414f2ca128d5b19.png
[quote name="Mynia" date="2023-04-20 01:03:08" ] Isn't the easiest fix just to combine the different versions of the Ancient genes into 1 item that covers all the breeds it applies too? ...... surely that would fix the problem way more effectively than having a bunch of different versions for each breed....... [/quote] I also think [b]each Pararell gene should exist in just two types: Modern and Ancient[/b], not Modern, Aether, Banescale, ..., [and to infinity and beyond]...^^; The gene list as is [u]will always end up too long[/u], no matter what other non-core tweaks get applied here while keeping the "separate item for each A-breed" split^^; Yes, this would need a clear indicator/info which breeds it's availabe for but FR is already requiring users to dig and memorise and remember to pay attention to loads of info like that (I already get caught in my ADHD here regularly, although I'm the more careful type thanks to my autistic wiring), so to me it doesn't even feel like it would make a difference to add this to the item's description and list the applicable breeds there, it would still be easier to check there than most of item checking already is (the database is more of a fuss to access than the description, to be honest, especially at Crim's and all the other places that don't display the utility markers shown in the Hoard view and don't show the database link either) (on a related sidenote, I also think that Ancients should crossbreed with one another; lack of paralell gene in a pair could count as basic for that spot or let the non-pararell gene get inherited for its corresponding breed if the rarity between the non-interchangeable genes of the two is the same - the current mechanics makes the prices of the individual Ancient genes still too high considering EACH breed change ALWAYS removes them all... unlike a Modern-to-Modern breed change... it makes me feel like Ancient genes real long-term utility value is less than a 10% of the Modern genes' prices, while I'd be fine with even more than 50% if these simply transfered during an Ancient-to-Ancient breed change, when applicable!) [b] ------ Any closer estimate [i]when[/i] this change to Baldwin's modern gene Brewing prices gets live?[/b] (I mean in general weeks, not exact days^^; )
Mynia wrote on 2023-04-20 01:03:08:

I also think each Pararell gene should exist in just two types: Modern and Ancient, not Modern, Aether, Banescale, ..., [and to infinity and beyond]...^^;

The gene list as is will always end up too long, no matter what other non-core tweaks get applied here while keeping the "separate item for each A-breed" split^^;

Yes, this would need a clear indicator/info which breeds it's availabe for but FR is already requiring users to dig and memorise and remember to pay attention to loads of info like that (I already get caught in my ADHD here regularly, although I'm the more careful type thanks to my autistic wiring), so to me it doesn't even feel like it would make a difference to add this to the item's description and list the applicable breeds there, it would still be easier to check there than most of item checking already is (the database is more of a fuss to access than the description, to be honest, especially at Crim's and all the other places that don't display the utility markers shown in the Hoard view and don't show the database link either)

(on a related sidenote, I also think that Ancients should crossbreed with one another; lack of paralell gene in a pair could count as basic for that spot or let the non-pararell gene get inherited for its corresponding breed if the rarity between the non-interchangeable genes of the two is the same - the current mechanics makes the prices of the individual Ancient genes still too high considering EACH breed change ALWAYS removes them all... unlike a Modern-to-Modern breed change... it makes me feel like Ancient genes real long-term utility value is less than a 10% of the Modern genes' prices, while I'd be fine with even more than 50% if these simply transfered during an Ancient-to-Ancient breed change, when applicable!)

Any closer estimate when this change to Baldwin's modern gene Brewing prices gets live?
(I mean in general weeks, not exact days^^; )
18qkmim.png
Aryena&BillieXNtD94z.png
0uVMYap.png
FR_mid_column_sig.png
Hfp00Bl.pngfdUVIfW.pngQUIpVFE.pngUMevL3r.png
bYt72YT.pngtqGkHih.pngDa1cz0f.pngOBrKa68.png
Yes >:}
Yes >:}
Fnu10Bg.pngiceshieldr.pngvCuH4lK.png
Oooh... Ancients sharing genes now. I pray Aether gets sphinx/hawkmoth soon! They are moths after all. It bothered me that they didn't come with it, but I figured Ancients wouldn't share genes. I'm so happy that's not the case. Every Ancient also deserves Angler hehe.
I'm also happy to see poor old Gaolors get some love. XD

- Please no replies thank you.
Oooh... Ancients sharing genes now. I pray Aether gets sphinx/hawkmoth soon! They are moths after all. It bothered me that they didn't come with it, but I figured Ancients wouldn't share genes. I'm so happy that's not the case. Every Ancient also deserves Angler hehe.
I'm also happy to see poor old Gaolors get some love. XD

- Please no replies thank you.
57351288p.png 80437372p.png LEpJMnn.png
kHBaXec.png
cdqdRxL.png
bX96R21.png
ll0CfnD.png
_____ 2VtxnMX.png
QUIpVFE.png
Pgv53XB.png
fRmh0SH.png
oczO35g.png
77147164p.png 48694802p.png
This is unexpected and more than welcome! Gaolers with whiskers!? Yes!
This is unexpected and more than welcome! Gaolers with whiskers!? Yes!
aJTY8eT.png
[quote name="VixenDra" date="2023-04-20 02:26:02" ] [quote name="Mynia" date="2023-04-20 01:03:08" ] Isn't the easiest fix just to combine the different versions of the Ancient genes into 1 item that covers all the breeds it applies too? ...... surely that would fix the problem way more effectively than having a bunch of different versions for each breed....... [/quote] I also think [b]each Pararell gene should exist in just two types: Modern and Ancient[/b], not Modern, Aether, Banescale, ..., [and to infinity and beyond]...^^; The gene list as is [u]will always end up too long[/u], no matter what other non-core tweaks get applied here while keeping the "separate item for each A-breed" split^^; [/quote] I'd already be happy with a "Item: Name (Modern)" addition, to be honest. All the times I (almost) bought some super low priced Noxtide or Boulder, just because I went to AH via the Database link and still get all the Ancient Scrolls listed too, and even first, just because they come up as well and are naturally cheaper.... It's basically an invitation to misprice the Ancient Genes in AH and hope someone who is after a Modern Gene doesn't notice. Super annoying, and would seemingly be so easy to fix. That way of listing, by the way, will still be a problem once that new shop is introduced, as then the Ancient Parallel Genes will still mix with the Modern Genes if placed / looked up in AH, unless the Modern Genes get a separate identifier attached to their name.
VixenDra wrote on 2023-04-20 02:26:02:
Mynia wrote on 2023-04-20 01:03:08:

I also think each Pararell gene should exist in just two types: Modern and Ancient, not Modern, Aether, Banescale, ..., [and to infinity and beyond]...^^;

The gene list as is will always end up too long, no matter what other non-core tweaks get applied here while keeping the "separate item for each A-breed" split^^;

I'd already be happy with a "Item: Name (Modern)" addition, to be honest.

All the times I (almost) bought some super low priced Noxtide or Boulder, just because I went to AH via the Database link and still get all the Ancient Scrolls listed too, and even first, just because they come up as well and are naturally cheaper.... It's basically an invitation to misprice the Ancient Genes in AH and hope someone who is after a Modern Gene doesn't notice. Super annoying, and would seemingly be so easy to fix.

That way of listing, by the way, will still be a problem once that new shop is introduced, as then the Ancient Parallel Genes will still mix with the Modern Genes if placed / looked up in AH, unless the Modern Genes get a separate identifier attached to their name.
I honestly like the parallel genes shop you have outlined and will be very happy once it gets added[emoji=familiar heart size=1]
I honestly like the parallel genes shop you have outlined and will be very happy once it gets added
I'm +10H ahead of FR time!
Replies may be slow, so sorry ;w;
[quote name="Mandalay" date="2023-04-20 03:15:05" ] That way of listing, by the way, will still be a problem once that new shop is introduced, as then the Ancient Parallel Genes will still mix with the Modern Genes if placed / looked up in AH, unless the Modern Genes get a separate identifier attached to their name. [/quote] They do mention the AH in the first post regarding the areas they plan to tackle, so hopefully something will be done about it...but personally I think it would have been super simple to solve this with filtering already. Right now we have category filters for "specialty items", vistas, and scenes. Just take the genes out from specialty items (as has already been done for the Marketplace tabs) and put them under "genes: modern" and "genes: ancient" separately, problem solved.
Mandalay wrote on 2023-04-20 03:15:05:
That way of listing, by the way, will still be a problem once that new shop is introduced, as then the Ancient Parallel Genes will still mix with the Modern Genes if placed / looked up in AH, unless the Modern Genes get a separate identifier attached to their name.

They do mention the AH in the first post regarding the areas they plan to tackle, so hopefully something will be done about it...but personally I think it would have been super simple to solve this with filtering already. Right now we have category filters for "specialty items", vistas, and scenes. Just take the genes out from specialty items (as has already been done for the Marketplace tabs) and put them under "genes: modern" and "genes: ancient" separately, problem solved.
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 40 41