Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Eldritch Hub (spooky scary horror)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote name="QuetzalMuse" date="2022-10-30 23:03:39" ] It feels pretty lonely and upsetting being the only one I know that has so much adoration for the uncomfortable unknown [/quote] I know exactly how you feel! Some of my all-time favorite pieces of fiction are centered around inhuman monsters. One of my favorites is the Alien franchise. I attempted to get my friends into it but none of them really liked it all that much, and most of them refuse to play Alien: Isolation. It really does feel a bit isolating sometimes.
QuetzalMuse wrote on 2022-10-30 23:03:39:
It feels pretty lonely and upsetting being the only one I know that has so much adoration for the uncomfortable unknown
I know exactly how you feel! Some of my all-time favorite pieces of fiction are centered around inhuman monsters. One of my favorites is the Alien franchise. I attempted to get my friends into it but none of them really liked it all that much, and most of them refuse to play Alien: Isolation. It really does feel a bit isolating sometimes.
PLAGUEBRINGER_sig.png
I am an absolute monster nut (don't you dare giggle at that). Cryptids, vampires, ghosts, goblins, ghouls, shadows, spectres, demons, giants, I absolutely adore them all. I am a massive horror fan and do everything I can to consume as much horror media as I can possibly absorb. Video games, movies, books, Creepypastas, art, manga, comics, urban legends, I've dug into all of them and I have things from each that I love more than others.

I especially love "creature feature" media, though. The idea that there's some Thing (pun intended) out there that's just waiting to do unspeakable things to whoever it comes across, though I'd say that's a pretty wide genre. I'd even put movies like Halloween and Friday the 13th in the "creature feature" idea since neither Michael or Jason are ever really considered to be "human" necessarily. Even then, I'd say humans are creatures anyways, I'm not biased.

Body horror is especially fun! I'm a classic "slasher" flick kinda person and have no limit to the amount of fake blood one can use. Honestly I'm a little biased because the only body horror I can't really tolerate is when it involves animals, there are obviously some exceptions I can make here and there but for the most part I don't like when animals are visibly killed or hurt in anyway shape or form in any media I consume. People? Serve 'em up with cabbage for all I care but please leave the animals alone.

The same goes for children too, actually. I've been seeing a weird influx of movies where it revolves around a child either missing or dying or having something horrible happen to them and I just can't get behind that. You wanna hack up a bunch of dumb beer drinking teenagers who are played by 20 and 30 year olds? Hell yeah, but please don't make your media revolved around the death of some 10 year old. Nobody wants that and we can do better.

Back on topic though; I absolutely love demented, horrible little creatures and the vicious, horrible things they do. I've actually been trying my best with some horror-based art recently! So if you'd like to see that you should let me know because I'd love to share it with people who'd probably like it!

(I also love to talk about the movies I've seen and recommend or the other things I've played or read that I enjoyed a lot!)
I am an absolute monster nut (don't you dare giggle at that). Cryptids, vampires, ghosts, goblins, ghouls, shadows, spectres, demons, giants, I absolutely adore them all. I am a massive horror fan and do everything I can to consume as much horror media as I can possibly absorb. Video games, movies, books, Creepypastas, art, manga, comics, urban legends, I've dug into all of them and I have things from each that I love more than others.

I especially love "creature feature" media, though. The idea that there's some Thing (pun intended) out there that's just waiting to do unspeakable things to whoever it comes across, though I'd say that's a pretty wide genre. I'd even put movies like Halloween and Friday the 13th in the "creature feature" idea since neither Michael or Jason are ever really considered to be "human" necessarily. Even then, I'd say humans are creatures anyways, I'm not biased.

Body horror is especially fun! I'm a classic "slasher" flick kinda person and have no limit to the amount of fake blood one can use. Honestly I'm a little biased because the only body horror I can't really tolerate is when it involves animals, there are obviously some exceptions I can make here and there but for the most part I don't like when animals are visibly killed or hurt in anyway shape or form in any media I consume. People? Serve 'em up with cabbage for all I care but please leave the animals alone.

The same goes for children too, actually. I've been seeing a weird influx of movies where it revolves around a child either missing or dying or having something horrible happen to them and I just can't get behind that. You wanna hack up a bunch of dumb beer drinking teenagers who are played by 20 and 30 year olds? Hell yeah, but please don't make your media revolved around the death of some 10 year old. Nobody wants that and we can do better.

Back on topic though; I absolutely love demented, horrible little creatures and the vicious, horrible things they do. I've actually been trying my best with some horror-based art recently! So if you'd like to see that you should let me know because I'd love to share it with people who'd probably like it!

(I also love to talk about the movies I've seen and recommend or the other things I've played or read that I enjoyed a lot!)
YfTeOCO.gifbKniD.gifF3wW9ES.gif
I absolutely ADORE monstrosities and it's like 80% of the reason why I'm majoring in 3D. I wanna MAKE 'EM. And I wanna get PAID FOR 'EM. I've always drawn and designed and doodled them ever since I was a kid, and I've been a big fan of stuff like Resident Evil, Amnesia, Monster Hunter, The Thing, BODY HORROR(!!!) in general. It's like my ultimate weakness, after beating RE8 I just spent hours rotating the models and admiring all their details. I wanna make stuff like that sooo bad!!!

It's just. Gwahhhh I love it so much. I really want to play more/absorb more media around these topics, I feel like I haven't really had a chance to really enjoy it. I still haven't played games like Silent Hill or Bloodborne (or any Souls Game) because I haven't had the console to. So I hope I can play them in the future and enjoy even more creepy critters. :3c
I absolutely ADORE monstrosities and it's like 80% of the reason why I'm majoring in 3D. I wanna MAKE 'EM. And I wanna get PAID FOR 'EM. I've always drawn and designed and doodled them ever since I was a kid, and I've been a big fan of stuff like Resident Evil, Amnesia, Monster Hunter, The Thing, BODY HORROR(!!!) in general. It's like my ultimate weakness, after beating RE8 I just spent hours rotating the models and admiring all their details. I wanna make stuff like that sooo bad!!!

It's just. Gwahhhh I love it so much. I really want to play more/absorb more media around these topics, I feel like I haven't really had a chance to really enjoy it. I still haven't played games like Silent Hill or Bloodborne (or any Souls Game) because I haven't had the console to. So I hope I can play them in the future and enjoy even more creepy critters. :3c
OH THEYRR SO COOL. i love bloody gory horror monsters. have u ever seen vita carnis?? im trying to get better at drawing alien monstrosities i love them my god
OH THEYRR SO COOL. i love bloody gory horror monsters. have u ever seen vita carnis?? im trying to get better at drawing alien monstrosities i love them my god
Untitled424_20230617211922.png yo im arsonistfurry
im just a dude tbh
he/they
trans rights
ping meeeeeeee
art shop
Untitled419_20230616190853.png
Has anyone on here heard of Jeff Russell’s lovecraft artbook? I think you all would like it.
Has anyone on here heard of Jeff Russell’s lovecraft artbook? I think you all would like it.
I absolutely enjoy monstrous beasts and terrors as well. I love incorporating this sort of design into my own beasties.
I absolutely enjoy monstrous beasts and terrors as well. I love incorporating this sort of design into my own beasties.
Warren, he and him, 20
MH3-Gigginox_Icon.pngMH3-Agnaktor_Icon.pngMH3-Gobul_Icon.pngMH3-Uragaan_Icon.pngMH3-Qurupeco_Icon.pngMH3-Lagiacrus_Icon.pngMH3-Barroth_Icon.pngMH3-Ceadeus_Icon.png
Oh woah this blew up again :0

It's really great to see all of you guys being able to share that love for freaky things!! Seems the thread turned out more useful than I thought. Home for all the monster buffs :]

May the eldritch alien horror love carry on for eternity...

@Directorate

Also that art slaps, wondering if bloodborne or just fromsoft in general inspired your style/designs!
Oh woah this blew up again :0

It's really great to see all of you guys being able to share that love for freaky things!! Seems the thread turned out more useful than I thought. Home for all the monster buffs :]

May the eldritch alien horror love carry on for eternity...

@Directorate

Also that art slaps, wondering if bloodborne or just fromsoft in general inspired your style/designs!
|Art Shop
SZ6yYcj.png
@MrDrLemon

You went OFF and I love that... I love the passion!! YEAH!!!! GOOOO!!!

I feel like the sort of stuff you refer to that's specifically bodily trauma falls more into the 'gore' category, no? Whereas body horror is more like mutating something in ways that it shouldn't (like dead space enemies). It could just be that these terms have different meanings and I'm small brained or that different people interpret them differently too.
I agree in that I really, really dislike animals or children being hurt. It upsets me a lot. Though in the vein of horror I feel like... Like it's terrible, but if it serves a purpose then I find it a bit more understandable? Like if it's kill for the sake of it then I'm unimpressed but if it's like 'the dead thing then morphs into a monstrosity' or it acts as a sort of example of consequences of one's actions... That's different. Especially since in real life it's an unfortunate thing but something that does happen. Death is inevitable and comes for all things, never discriminates, doesn't care about species or age.
I mean, to me death in horror stuff for the sake of death feels very meaningless and bland. The shock factor is never why I'm into that kinda stuff (I find jumpscares extremely cheap for that reason and it's why I'm so intrigued by fromsoft games in the way they build up their lore so quietly).

Hey, if you wanna pm me or ping me here to share some work or ramble or whatever I'm totally down for it :]

@Gosuto

Totally saw you mention like all my fav games (MONSTER HUNTER YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I COULD RAMBLE ABOUT MH FOREVER) so y'know. Ping for you!!
I finished Iceborne dlc a while ago and started MHRise recently which is exciting!! A bit upset about the total lack of challenge overall in the game and how unbelievably short the fights are but at least some of the monsters haven't let me down.
Except Rathalos. I'll send them to extinction, personally.
@MrDrLemon

You went OFF and I love that... I love the passion!! YEAH!!!! GOOOO!!!

I feel like the sort of stuff you refer to that's specifically bodily trauma falls more into the 'gore' category, no? Whereas body horror is more like mutating something in ways that it shouldn't (like dead space enemies). It could just be that these terms have different meanings and I'm small brained or that different people interpret them differently too.
I agree in that I really, really dislike animals or children being hurt. It upsets me a lot. Though in the vein of horror I feel like... Like it's terrible, but if it serves a purpose then I find it a bit more understandable? Like if it's kill for the sake of it then I'm unimpressed but if it's like 'the dead thing then morphs into a monstrosity' or it acts as a sort of example of consequences of one's actions... That's different. Especially since in real life it's an unfortunate thing but something that does happen. Death is inevitable and comes for all things, never discriminates, doesn't care about species or age.
I mean, to me death in horror stuff for the sake of death feels very meaningless and bland. The shock factor is never why I'm into that kinda stuff (I find jumpscares extremely cheap for that reason and it's why I'm so intrigued by fromsoft games in the way they build up their lore so quietly).

Hey, if you wanna pm me or ping me here to share some work or ramble or whatever I'm totally down for it :]

@Gosuto

Totally saw you mention like all my fav games (MONSTER HUNTER YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I COULD RAMBLE ABOUT MH FOREVER) so y'know. Ping for you!!
I finished Iceborne dlc a while ago and started MHRise recently which is exciting!! A bit upset about the total lack of challenge overall in the game and how unbelievably short the fights are but at least some of the monsters haven't let me down.
Except Rathalos. I'll send them to extinction, personally.
|Art Shop
SZ6yYcj.png
I was thinking of picking up the Resident Evil 4 remake and I looked into the monster designs for it to see how they'd been updated and I'm not impressed. I don't think it's a case of me having nostalgia goggles, but when I compare the different plagas between the original and remake versions I'm not impressed. It's a shame because I do want to play the game, but the monsters just aren't doing it for me based on appearance. Like they just don't sit right for me and not in what I'd call a good way.

Freaking love the Resident Evil series though, such good monsters and such good shown and implied body horror of all sorts.

There are so many video games out there with such good monsters in them and great body horror (I'm obsessed with body horror, like totally obsessed - tell me it's in a game in any way and I'm interested). When I was younger I loved watching one friend of mine playing Parasite Eve (never managed to get my own copy of the game), I have huge nostalgia for The Suffering, and the first Prototype had me so excited from the first time I saw an article on it in some gaming magazine. And do not get me started on Dead Space. I was honestly disappointed that that game didn't give me nightmares (though it did terrify me).

Lately I've been playing Warframe and it's so good if you like 'pretty' monsters (I think the frames are pretty at least). It's a fun game, kind of a looter shooter, MMO hybrid thing that on occasion will dip hard into horror out of nowhere though for me the tonal whiplash makes it even more fun (the fact that there is a body horror planet and everything there is pure comedy is amazing). Like it's such a fun, pretty game in an honestly horrifying setting as you play more and start encountering the lore.
I was thinking of picking up the Resident Evil 4 remake and I looked into the monster designs for it to see how they'd been updated and I'm not impressed. I don't think it's a case of me having nostalgia goggles, but when I compare the different plagas between the original and remake versions I'm not impressed. It's a shame because I do want to play the game, but the monsters just aren't doing it for me based on appearance. Like they just don't sit right for me and not in what I'd call a good way.

Freaking love the Resident Evil series though, such good monsters and such good shown and implied body horror of all sorts.

There are so many video games out there with such good monsters in them and great body horror (I'm obsessed with body horror, like totally obsessed - tell me it's in a game in any way and I'm interested). When I was younger I loved watching one friend of mine playing Parasite Eve (never managed to get my own copy of the game), I have huge nostalgia for The Suffering, and the first Prototype had me so excited from the first time I saw an article on it in some gaming magazine. And do not get me started on Dead Space. I was honestly disappointed that that game didn't give me nightmares (though it did terrify me).

Lately I've been playing Warframe and it's so good if you like 'pretty' monsters (I think the frames are pretty at least). It's a fun game, kind of a looter shooter, MMO hybrid thing that on occasion will dip hard into horror out of nowhere though for me the tonal whiplash makes it even more fun (the fact that there is a body horror planet and everything there is pure comedy is amazing). Like it's such a fun, pretty game in an honestly horrifying setting as you play more and start encountering the lore.
Thank you! It didn’t! I’m actually too scared to play games with monsters. [emoji=snapper tongue size=1]
Thank you! It didn’t! I’m actually too scared to play games with monsters.
96d3f008007c014a305db108daaaafad6848d180.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9