Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rehaul of Fest Skins (kinda)
1 2 3 4 5
@bakugames
I don't think gem prize should be touched at all, but that's up to staff discretion of course. Making the vista tradeable would be a good way to increase the 'value' of the prizes while not adding anything strictly new.
@bakugames
I don't think gem prize should be touched at all, but that's up to staff discretion of course. Making the vista tradeable would be a good way to increase the 'value' of the prizes while not adding anything strictly new.
H0mc65a.png
august
ENG / CN
skin shop

       
Not gonna delete the extra prize point (for now), but I'll write a note about being a riskier option, ty for the context! I'll leave it up in case people want to discuss it still, but your point is an important one u_u

@brightmyth
Not gonna delete the extra prize point (for now), but I'll write a note about being a riskier option, ty for the context! I'll leave it up in case people want to discuss it still, but your point is an important one u_u

@brightmyth
21059.png Lemmy or Baku, but feel free to make up new nicknames for me.

Any pronouns | Japanese
Ping me when replying, I love to chat with people.
-- kMi3VrI.png
Support for all of these. (Oh god I want an Ice sci-fi theme now.)
Support for all of these. (Oh god I want an Ice sci-fi theme now.)
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Iffy on #3 for the reasons already discussed here but HUGE fan of the other points, especially #1! A cycle-long secondary theme would be so fun and potentially encourage people to work with themes that they otherwise might not have considered (e.g. something sci-fi for Nature, like your example said).
Iffy on #3 for the reasons already discussed here but HUGE fan of the other points, especially #1! A cycle-long secondary theme would be so fun and potentially encourage people to work with themes that they otherwise might not have considered (e.g. something sci-fi for Nature, like your example said).
FoJSh5v.gif Fal
FR time +10
B0SOpoT.png
you’ve laid this out really well. excellent argument, full support
you’ve laid this out really well. excellent argument, full support
34047237.png
73030014.png
I don't really see how the theming would impact skins as it's currently suggested? It's not as if people can't already make warrior, or sci-fi, or adventuring, or whatever theme skins as long as they are also element themed. If anything an extra theme constrains ideas more as you'll have multiple skins of the chosen theme rather than each person coming up with their own idea.
I don't really see how the theming would impact skins as it's currently suggested? It's not as if people can't already make warrior, or sci-fi, or adventuring, or whatever theme skins as long as they are also element themed. If anything an extra theme constrains ideas more as you'll have multiple skins of the chosen theme rather than each person coming up with their own idea.
xu283Kp.gif...3qZ2TWJ.gif1328MiZ.gifOipIF0J.gif....7F3QtXR.gif
1. Fest cycle sub-theme(s)
I am really not sure how adding additional restrictions of a theme are going to increase contest entry number? Pretty sure that "anything Wind" is broader than "Wind warriors", so this is going to limit the number of entries, not increase, as some skins that do not fit the theme will just not be submitted (for example, "Wind singer" theme skin could be submitted to "anything Wind" but not to "Wind warriors" contest). No support, suggestion doesn't seem to have any internal logic.

2. Increase number of slots
Problem, as I try to point out in each and every separate suggestion of this: why is there an assumption that "more slots" = "more variety"? The popular breeds (Skydancers, Imperials, Wildclaws) get featured in all fests, popular themes (wings, angels, demons, etc) are featured too, good artists continue being good artists - more slots doesn't mean that those popular or good things will suddenly become less popular or less good, and the less popular things will automatically fill in the new slots. No support for just a blind increase in slots as if that would mean anything else but more guaranteed "popular" wins.

3. Increase winner prizes
Looking from the side, I didn't get an impression that the winner prizes themselves are what motivates majority of the artists to join the competition, so I don't think this has any significant effect on submissions.

4. Non-Elemental Festival Skins
I'd rather the "non elemental skins" were fully detached from festivals and festivals continue being just a little special by favoring specific flights. Non-elemental skins can get either their own events or be attached to the non-elemental events.
1. Fest cycle sub-theme(s)
I am really not sure how adding additional restrictions of a theme are going to increase contest entry number? Pretty sure that "anything Wind" is broader than "Wind warriors", so this is going to limit the number of entries, not increase, as some skins that do not fit the theme will just not be submitted (for example, "Wind singer" theme skin could be submitted to "anything Wind" but not to "Wind warriors" contest). No support, suggestion doesn't seem to have any internal logic.

2. Increase number of slots
Problem, as I try to point out in each and every separate suggestion of this: why is there an assumption that "more slots" = "more variety"? The popular breeds (Skydancers, Imperials, Wildclaws) get featured in all fests, popular themes (wings, angels, demons, etc) are featured too, good artists continue being good artists - more slots doesn't mean that those popular or good things will suddenly become less popular or less good, and the less popular things will automatically fill in the new slots. No support for just a blind increase in slots as if that would mean anything else but more guaranteed "popular" wins.

3. Increase winner prizes
Looking from the side, I didn't get an impression that the winner prizes themselves are what motivates majority of the artists to join the competition, so I don't think this has any significant effect on submissions.

4. Non-Elemental Festival Skins
I'd rather the "non elemental skins" were fully detached from festivals and festivals continue being just a little special by favoring specific flights. Non-elemental skins can get either their own events or be attached to the non-elemental events.
JQQ3Fjt.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2023-03-30 15:35:36" ] 1. Love this idea a lot. A themed year? Fantastic. Brilliant. 2. Obvious yes. More slots have been needed at least for a year. 3. I would like to see the impact of 1 first before doing this, I think 4. Frankly... I don't think skin artists need any contests... so as much as I would like more site skins, I really want to see some other kind of contest before we get yet another skin contest. [/quote] 1. I have long liked the idea of having mini-themes for the contests, so that each festival could be something *different* instead of 'same ol' same ol'' that it has become. Especially with people complaining that each flight is so much more than the surface theme. This could allow staff to explore subthemes and get some more obviously subthemed themed skins into the game. 2. I would prefer it if they raised the slots to 20 slots per fest and no more. I would also prefer it if they put those extra slots into other mechanics than the MP. I feel baldwin could use maybe two more skins, and perhaps have a skin or two in gathering (at maybe a slightly lower rate than festival currency drops but not much). Perhaps some swipp skins as well (with them being available through the grand exchange, but instead of treasure, you would need items to obtain). When we get more mechanics, then I wouldn't mind having more skin slots, but I don't want just more 'dump these into the treasure MP' skin slots, as that can easily get overwhelming for players (especially newer ones), especially since we have 11 festivals a year. 3. This is one that I am not really fond of, because competitiveness can already bring out the worst in some people, even without 'good prizes', so I would say no support on this one, especially if it is not needed. 4. I also would love this one. When I joined, the festival skins were the only time you could get skins for treasure (aside from the AH). HOwever, we did have unlimited gem skins in the MP. I would love to have some treasure AND gem MP skins back, so that festivals aren't the only place that players can obtain skins for treasure, and give some non-elemental themed variety in those skins.
Almedha wrote on 2023-03-30 15:35:36:
1. Love this idea a lot. A themed year? Fantastic. Brilliant.
2. Obvious yes. More slots have been needed at least for a year.
3. I would like to see the impact of 1 first before doing this, I think
4. Frankly... I don't think skin artists need any contests... so as much as I would like more site skins, I really want to see some other kind of contest before we get yet another skin contest.
1. I have long liked the idea of having mini-themes for the contests, so that each festival could be something *different* instead of 'same ol' same ol'' that it has become. Especially with people complaining that each flight is so much more than the surface theme. This could allow staff to explore subthemes and get some more obviously subthemed themed skins into the game.

2. I would prefer it if they raised the slots to 20 slots per fest and no more.

I would also prefer it if they put those extra slots into other mechanics than the MP. I feel baldwin could use maybe two more skins, and perhaps have a skin or two in gathering (at maybe a slightly lower rate than festival currency drops but not much). Perhaps some swipp skins as well (with them being available through the grand exchange, but instead of treasure, you would need items to obtain). When we get more mechanics, then I wouldn't mind having more skin slots, but I don't want just more 'dump these into the treasure MP' skin slots, as that can easily get overwhelming for players (especially newer ones), especially since we have 11 festivals a year.

3. This is one that I am not really fond of, because competitiveness can already bring out the worst in some people, even without 'good prizes', so I would say no support on this one, especially if it is not needed.

4. I also would love this one. When I joined, the festival skins were the only time you could get skins for treasure (aside from the AH). HOwever, we did have unlimited gem skins in the MP. I would love to have some treasure AND gem MP skins back, so that festivals aren't the only place that players can obtain skins for treasure, and give some non-elemental themed variety in those skins.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="MurkyDepths" date="2023-03-31 04:56:39" ] I don't really see how the theming would impact skins as it's currently suggested? It's not as if people can't already make warrior, or sci-fi, or adventuring, or whatever theme skins as long as they are also element themed. If anything an extra theme constrains ideas more as you'll have multiple skins of the chosen theme rather than each person coming up with their own idea. [/quote] My feeling is that it might encourage people who don't normally enter skin contests because they see 'wind equals green wind/kites' or 'ice = shackles and blue ice' always winning. So, it could encourage people who might want to make a 'beastclan ambassador' themed skin for a specific fest, if the sub theme was about beastclan allies, because they know that their skin has a chance to win, while otherwise, they might feel it would just be dismissed out of hand because it doesn't follow the larger main theme of the flight. It might also give some people more ideas of what to do for the fest, because I know how easily it can be to get into a narrow tunnel vision for things. So, people get to thinking 'arcane = pink crystals' and don't think about any smaller themes that the flight also encompasses (such as doesn't arcane also technically encompass time?) So, they see a sub theme and it helps them see more possiblities, and might encourage them to enter (especially if the main theme of the flight is something they aren't really fond of working with)
MurkyDepths wrote on 2023-03-31 04:56:39:
My feeling is that it might encourage people who don't normally enter skin contests because they see 'wind equals green wind/kites' or 'ice = shackles and blue ice' always winning.

So, it could encourage people who might want to make a 'beastclan ambassador' themed skin for a specific fest, if the sub theme was about beastclan allies, because they know that their skin has a chance to win, while otherwise, they might feel it would just be dismissed out of hand because it doesn't follow the larger main theme of the flight.

It might also give some people more ideas of what to do for the fest, because I know how easily it can be to get into a narrow tunnel vision for things. So, people get to thinking 'arcane = pink crystals' and don't think about any smaller themes that the flight also encompasses (such as doesn't arcane also technically encompass time?) So, they see a sub theme and it helps them see more possiblities, and might encourage them to enter (especially if the main theme of the flight is something they aren't really fond of working with)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
yeah i'm not too sure on the theme suggestion. i like how open range and diverse the skins have been and i worry people will participate less as a whole due to not enjoying the current theme.

i like the other suggestions though.
yeah i'm not too sure on the theme suggestion. i like how open range and diverse the skins have been and i worry people will participate less as a whole due to not enjoying the current theme.

i like the other suggestions though.
34788.png __ kai | he/they | FR+3
» selling / trading thread
» looking for accent wearers