Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What’s your favorite hidden gem game?
1 2 3
Whether it’s indie or just not hugely publicized, what’s your favorite video game? Or tabletop game, even.
Whether it’s indie or just not hugely publicized, what’s your favorite video game? Or tabletop game, even.
» Hatcheryxxxxxx
» Art Threadxxxx
uVq8EoD.png
To be fair, it's not a good game, but good lord, I love Illbleed. It's SO weird. It's....technically?? a survival horror game, but it's more like a weird haunted house minesweeper comedy. There's a Toy Story joke level where you have to go to Toy Hell and fight Legally Distinct Sonic The Hedgehog. It rocks.

(supergreatfriend has a great LP of it if you do not wish to deal with the Dreamcast Stank)
To be fair, it's not a good game, but good lord, I love Illbleed. It's SO weird. It's....technically?? a survival horror game, but it's more like a weird haunted house minesweeper comedy. There's a Toy Story joke level where you have to go to Toy Hell and fight Legally Distinct Sonic The Hedgehog. It rocks.

(supergreatfriend has a great LP of it if you do not wish to deal with the Dreamcast Stank)
tumblr_nj881zEgtm1qbol1ao1_400.png
he/him // ER critter
The original MySims for the Wii. No thoughts just collecting items (referred to in game as Essences) and building furniture. I half jokingly refer to it as a “good game for autistic people” (I’m autistic myself) because of the emphasis on collecting and building, plus the lack of complex social interactions between the characters (basically boils down to “be nice” or “be mean”)
The original MySims for the Wii. No thoughts just collecting items (referred to in game as Essences) and building furniture. I half jokingly refer to it as a “good game for autistic people” (I’m autistic myself) because of the emphasis on collecting and building, plus the lack of complex social interactions between the characters (basically boils down to “be nice” or “be mean”)
6nI5sr3.png Arcane-Network.png
I wouldn't say any of these are super good or my personal favourites, but I'm always up for recommending smaller games.

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
Haven't played much to be honest, I just like the vibe.

Moonlighter
Another one that's just got that nice cozy vibe and a great control scheme. Not the smallest game but I'll count it.

Edge
Great little puzzle game.

Rime
If you want something akin to Journey this is a great fit. But don't buy it for the Switch, that version has lag issues.

Eternal Sonata
I haven't completed this one yet so no spoilers. If you like cute anime designs, generic but alright JRPGs and for whatever reason Frédéric François Chopin you'll like this one. Chopin is one of the main characters and you get to play as him, anime-fied and everything.
I wouldn't say any of these are super good or my personal favourites, but I'm always up for recommending smaller games.

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
Haven't played much to be honest, I just like the vibe.

Moonlighter
Another one that's just got that nice cozy vibe and a great control scheme. Not the smallest game but I'll count it.

Edge
Great little puzzle game.

Rime
If you want something akin to Journey this is a great fit. But don't buy it for the Switch, that version has lag issues.

Eternal Sonata
I haven't completed this one yet so no spoilers. If you like cute anime designs, generic but alright JRPGs and for whatever reason Frédéric François Chopin you'll like this one. Chopin is one of the main characters and you get to play as him, anime-fied and everything.
Golden Treasure: The Great Green. I’m surprised I don’t see more people talk about this more on here, considering it’s about dragons. It’s a survival visual novel where you play as a dragon living through the Bronze Age. But it has a very unique take on dragons, differing from the typical princess snatchers or glorified flying cars. They are intelligent and independent beings that have intimate connections with nature, called “The Great Green”. There are three phases, being hatchling, adolescent and adulthood.
The writing is really impressive, and immerses you in the role of something non-human. It also goes into the spiritual aspects of nature, which is something that dragons and other animals incorporate in their own beliefs and “religions”(closest thing I can describe it as), and how humans are either unaware or have difficulty connecting with it. But it’s not impossible for them either. Stuff you can do in this game includes: hunting, dungeon delving, hoarding, interact with humans and animals, explore, defend your territory and more. There are multiple endings.
I also heard that the developer was a professor for subjects like religion, philosophy and mythology, which explains a lot. Really fascinating game. It’s on Steam if anyone’s interested.

And any games developed by Yames. A few gaming youtube channels have given them publicity but their games are an incredible experience to play yourself. They are psychological horror games, but with no cheap jumpscares. It’s all just good old creeping dread and apprehension, before being confronted with something humans aren’t supposed to understand. So, so good. They REALLY nail sound design too!

Fishing Resort for the Wii but hear me out. Most fishing games are pretty meh. I know. I enjoy fishing in real life, but sometimes I don’t want to have stinky fish fingers. Most fishing games don’t capture the “sitting in nature while staring around waiting” or exploring to find good spots, or learning fish behavior to find where they are. Especially the “you accidentally caught something massive but it’s your problem now, so you have to battle with it for several minutes”. But this game does all that. There are many locations, all very beautifully detailed(even for crunchy wii visuals). Some places require you to go kyaking to get anywhere, like the massive mountain lake or jungle river with mangrove forests. Closest virtual fishing experience that is both accurate and fun, 10/10. There’s also an aquarium and character customization.

Gyossait is a unique browser game I stumbled upon but am really bad at. It’s a 2d action platformer with a dark surreal creepy aesthetic. But if you get hit once, you have to start over. I’m not very good at it but hopefully someone else here is better than me lol.
Golden Treasure: The Great Green. I’m surprised I don’t see more people talk about this more on here, considering it’s about dragons. It’s a survival visual novel where you play as a dragon living through the Bronze Age. But it has a very unique take on dragons, differing from the typical princess snatchers or glorified flying cars. They are intelligent and independent beings that have intimate connections with nature, called “The Great Green”. There are three phases, being hatchling, adolescent and adulthood.
The writing is really impressive, and immerses you in the role of something non-human. It also goes into the spiritual aspects of nature, which is something that dragons and other animals incorporate in their own beliefs and “religions”(closest thing I can describe it as), and how humans are either unaware or have difficulty connecting with it. But it’s not impossible for them either. Stuff you can do in this game includes: hunting, dungeon delving, hoarding, interact with humans and animals, explore, defend your territory and more. There are multiple endings.
I also heard that the developer was a professor for subjects like religion, philosophy and mythology, which explains a lot. Really fascinating game. It’s on Steam if anyone’s interested.

And any games developed by Yames. A few gaming youtube channels have given them publicity but their games are an incredible experience to play yourself. They are psychological horror games, but with no cheap jumpscares. It’s all just good old creeping dread and apprehension, before being confronted with something humans aren’t supposed to understand. So, so good. They REALLY nail sound design too!

Fishing Resort for the Wii but hear me out. Most fishing games are pretty meh. I know. I enjoy fishing in real life, but sometimes I don’t want to have stinky fish fingers. Most fishing games don’t capture the “sitting in nature while staring around waiting” or exploring to find good spots, or learning fish behavior to find where they are. Especially the “you accidentally caught something massive but it’s your problem now, so you have to battle with it for several minutes”. But this game does all that. There are many locations, all very beautifully detailed(even for crunchy wii visuals). Some places require you to go kyaking to get anywhere, like the massive mountain lake or jungle river with mangrove forests. Closest virtual fishing experience that is both accurate and fun, 10/10. There’s also an aquarium and character customization.

Gyossait is a unique browser game I stumbled upon but am really bad at. It’s a 2d action platformer with a dark surreal creepy aesthetic. But if you get hit once, you have to start over. I’m not very good at it but hopefully someone else here is better than me lol.
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
Kid Icarus Uprising is a favorite of mine
Kid Icarus Uprising is a favorite of mine
?5rQx0=party.png?5rQLw=party.png?5rQpW=party.png?5rQpW=party.png?5rQY0=party.png
[quote name="rainchime" date="2023-03-30 07:57:00" ] Golden Treasure: The Great Green. [/quote] YES, I came here to post about this! You gave a very good description of it, so I don’t think I need to explain any further. Anyone reading this who thinks it sounds interesting, please check it out! (It does touch on some darkness at times, but I think the warnings can be found on its Steam page.)
rainchime wrote on 2023-03-30 07:57:00:
Golden Treasure: The Great Green.
YES, I came here to post about this! You gave a very good description of it, so I don’t think I need to explain any further. Anyone reading this who thinks it sounds interesting, please check it out! (It does touch on some darkness at times, but I think the warnings can be found on its Steam page.)
oJK1fXV.png
Apico! You raise bees and butterflies and it's really fun
Apico! You raise bees and butterflies and it's really fun
tumblr_inline_mjvop8mMef1qz4rgp.gif tumblr_md2y0qnWDS1qk1or3.gif
Revita. I love roguelites, and this is a really good one. Eagerly awaiting the 2.0 update for more neat synergies.
Revita. I love roguelites, and this is a really good one. Eagerly awaiting the 2.0 update for more neat synergies.
[item=Scrapmetal Tracker] Magi Nation for the GBC. It's a monster collecting game based on a trading card game and it's surprisingly good, for a game on the Gameboy Color it has great sprite art and music, and I love a lot of the monster designs. The biggest downside is the bad saving system and long backtracking but all of it can be fixed with modern emulators. But if you can and you like older handheld games I'd really recommend it.
Scrapmetal Tracker Magi Nation for the GBC. It's a monster collecting game based on a trading card game and it's surprisingly good, for a game on the Gameboy Color it has great sprite art and music, and I love a lot of the monster designs.

The biggest downside is the bad saving system and long backtracking but all of it can be fixed with modern emulators. But if you can and you like older handheld games I'd really recommend it.
1 2 3