Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Your opinion on the new Velma show..?
1 2 3 4 5
I normally don't go out of my way to complain about shows I don't watch, but I will say one thing: I give Velma a "thanks, I hate it" out of 10 for the dialogue alone.

And to answer OP, it's rated TV-MA because the whole thing was made for clicks. That's it. It's completely shallow.
I normally don't go out of my way to complain about shows I don't watch, but I will say one thing: I give Velma a "thanks, I hate it" out of 10 for the dialogue alone.

And to answer OP, it's rated TV-MA because the whole thing was made for clicks. That's it. It's completely shallow.
No tone tags, please. Just say what you mean. Will not read carrds.
YUzmw5z.png9Wis07O.pngYMPbu9R.png
My honest opinion? I think the show was purposely made to be ragebait and nothing more.
My honest opinion? I think the show was purposely made to be ragebait and nothing more.
forumsig7_by_adder_snake_bite-d9p3buh.png
I think my favourite theory going around is that this show was never written as a scooby doo spinoff, they just wanted to use the popular ip so it would get better funding/ make a profit. and you know what, that's fair enough, making an animated show is hard, especially an original one. sucks they had to ruin such beloved characters though
I think my favourite theory going around is that this show was never written as a scooby doo spinoff, they just wanted to use the popular ip so it would get better funding/ make a profit. and you know what, that's fair enough, making an animated show is hard, especially an original one. sucks they had to ruin such beloved characters though
///////////tumblr_p5wzkf4NYZ1vamgqko1_100.png
DQR0xuP.png
FObX7rS.png
HdmxfuE.png
5hF3FGk.png
Pgv53XB.png
R5gBjNt.png ////////ebwdsO1.png
been watching it alongside my friends and it is quite the insufferable experience. i have a lot of opinions on velma which are very strong but long so i'll narrow it down to bulletpoints

- it uses metahumor to an unbearable degree where there are unfunny scenes of characters going "this is just like [movie trope] here!!1!" and it just happens randomly. you can't tell if it's the characters saying it or the writers trying to be witty.

- the main 4 are just straight up terrible people, especially velma. you can make good characters who are absolutely abhorrent people and still root for them! but there is no redeeming qualities or moments where the characters are being realistically human.

- the writing in the show is terrible. the storyline is just all over the place and feels like the showriters have no idea what it wants to be. is velma supposed to be a self-aware scoobydoo parody? offensive comedy? an actual mystery series? definitely not that because the main mystery of the show keeps getting sidelined as a b-plot for something completely random.

- talks down on stereotypes while also making their own stereotypes. velma is an indonesian character that has a great disdain for her own culture (because that's who you want representing southeast asia,) daphne is the attractive asian that gets screentime for the wrong reasons, daphne's parents are the "dumb lesbians," and in general a lot of insensitive race jokes.

- an adult series with adult themes despite taking place in a highschool, as well with the cast being underaged. is it THAT hard to have the story take place in college?????
been watching it alongside my friends and it is quite the insufferable experience. i have a lot of opinions on velma which are very strong but long so i'll narrow it down to bulletpoints

- it uses metahumor to an unbearable degree where there are unfunny scenes of characters going "this is just like [movie trope] here!!1!" and it just happens randomly. you can't tell if it's the characters saying it or the writers trying to be witty.

- the main 4 are just straight up terrible people, especially velma. you can make good characters who are absolutely abhorrent people and still root for them! but there is no redeeming qualities or moments where the characters are being realistically human.

- the writing in the show is terrible. the storyline is just all over the place and feels like the showriters have no idea what it wants to be. is velma supposed to be a self-aware scoobydoo parody? offensive comedy? an actual mystery series? definitely not that because the main mystery of the show keeps getting sidelined as a b-plot for something completely random.

- talks down on stereotypes while also making their own stereotypes. velma is an indonesian character that has a great disdain for her own culture (because that's who you want representing southeast asia,) daphne is the attractive asian that gets screentime for the wrong reasons, daphne's parents are the "dumb lesbians," and in general a lot of insensitive race jokes.

- an adult series with adult themes despite taking place in a highschool, as well with the cast being underaged. is it THAT hard to have the story take place in college?????
ezgif-5-d59d01f068.gif
Debbie / Nova
18 - Non-Binary - Any Pronouns
Art Shop | Wishlist
2kdMs.gifUgAP0.gifyv2d9.gifJ2yrF.gifA6sar.gif
also i needed to add this because i've been rewatching Mystery Incorporated recently: people saying Shaggy was 'renamed' into Norville are wrong. Norville is Shaggy's real name. it was a name created for the show A Pup Named Scooby-Doo and has been used in future Scooby media since then.

i believe the name came from Mystery Incorporated, as Shaggy is called Norville multiple times throughout the series. Velma seems to take a lot of aspects from that show and i believe 'Norville' is apart of that. just something to note since a lot of reviewers of the show get that wrong and it bugs me.
also i needed to add this because i've been rewatching Mystery Incorporated recently: people saying Shaggy was 'renamed' into Norville are wrong. Norville is Shaggy's real name. it was a name created for the show A Pup Named Scooby-Doo and has been used in future Scooby media since then.

i believe the name came from Mystery Incorporated, as Shaggy is called Norville multiple times throughout the series. Velma seems to take a lot of aspects from that show and i believe 'Norville' is apart of that. just something to note since a lot of reviewers of the show get that wrong and it bugs me.
littel_guy.png Alex or Rex
They/He
FR +1
Pinging is OK
Dragon Sales
From what I'd heard, it can't make up its mind on what demographic it's trying to attract and fails any & all of them, viciously mischaracterized everyone far beyond the plausibility of 'a new interpretation', and is riding off brand recognition & people tuning in to see how terrible it can be. Which apparently far too many people did. All my information is second-hand though, so I came to read the comments for more opinions, and they haven't really contradicted anything I'd originally heard.

From what I've heard, it'd be your generic 'we're mature because we're offensive' adult animated show -with good visuals-, but they chose to tie it to a famous franchise.
From what I'd heard, it can't make up its mind on what demographic it's trying to attract and fails any & all of them, viciously mischaracterized everyone far beyond the plausibility of 'a new interpretation', and is riding off brand recognition & people tuning in to see how terrible it can be. Which apparently far too many people did. All my information is second-hand though, so I came to read the comments for more opinions, and they haven't really contradicted anything I'd originally heard.

From what I've heard, it'd be your generic 'we're mature because we're offensive' adult animated show -with good visuals-, but they chose to tie it to a famous franchise.
med_fish_smol.pngsplish_smol.png
I've only seen bits and pieces of it from others reviewing it, and honestly, I would never want to sit and watch it on my own just because of how shallow it is. The "jokes" aren't very funny, if at all, and it fails to draw in any demographics it is even possibly trying to relate to. None of the characters are like their original counterparts, and can easily be explained with about 5 or less words each as the show doesn't seem to give them much personality beyond what the creator wants.

I would keep going on, but everything that I would and am saying has been said many times over by others in the forum who have explained it better than I could :P
I've only seen bits and pieces of it from others reviewing it, and honestly, I would never want to sit and watch it on my own just because of how shallow it is. The "jokes" aren't very funny, if at all, and it fails to draw in any demographics it is even possibly trying to relate to. None of the characters are like their original counterparts, and can easily be explained with about 5 or less words each as the show doesn't seem to give them much personality beyond what the creator wants.

I would keep going on, but everything that I would and am saying has been said many times over by others in the forum who have explained it better than I could :P
WJnaXRt.gif 5hF3FGk.png
DxCICZ1.png
OnuhFtt.png FZ9VPbS.png
if a loud, wet fart was a series
if a loud, wet fart was a series
pHCrqjQ.gif
mindy kaling is a terrible person who made a terrible show, simple as that
mindy kaling is a terrible person who made a terrible show, simple as that
I didn't watch the thing myself (I watched commentators watch it since I do not want to give the show any support) and it's... urgh. The plot is all over the place, the characters aren't... the characters, it's basically just them sharing the same name and similar appearance. In all honesty, the show might have been a bit if not a LOT better if they made their own characters and not just molded currently existing characters to their fancy.

Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! is, 1000 times better. But that is my opinion,
I didn't watch the thing myself (I watched commentators watch it since I do not want to give the show any support) and it's... urgh. The plot is all over the place, the characters aren't... the characters, it's basically just them sharing the same name and similar appearance. In all honesty, the show might have been a bit if not a LOT better if they made their own characters and not just molded currently existing characters to their fancy.

Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! is, 1000 times better. But that is my opinion,
BoppingBuilder.gif d7yqvjz-1e5a466c-8d17-4c31-88b5-2f7854d8b0e6.gifKieran, FR +2
d7yqvjz-1e5a466c-8d17-4c31-88b5-2f7854d8b0e6.gif They/Them
d7yqvjz-1e5a466c-8d17-4c31-88b5-2f7854d8b0e6.gif G1 and shiny pokemon hoarder
1 2 3 4 5