Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The Monster Hunter movie
1 2
So.

I know alot of people here, myself included, play or at least enjoy the MonHun video game franchise.

So lets talk about the movie. Do you like it? Hate it? Is there anything in this clown of a film that they got right or was decent? Do you think they'll make another, and if so, what would you want that hypothetical second movie to be like?

Personally, i hate it. Well kinda. I hate that its horribly inaccurate to the games, but at the same time i like to insult it. So bad its good vibes.
So.

I know alot of people here, myself included, play or at least enjoy the MonHun video game franchise.

So lets talk about the movie. Do you like it? Hate it? Is there anything in this clown of a film that they got right or was decent? Do you think they'll make another, and if so, what would you want that hypothetical second movie to be like?

Personally, i hate it. Well kinda. I hate that its horribly inaccurate to the games, but at the same time i like to insult it. So bad its good vibes.
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
Hello.

Fellow MonHun fan here.

After finding out about this movie from a Monster Hunter Youtube Channel, "livid" puts it lightly. But I had to see it, no matter how painful it would be for me. The little fact that it was originally gonna come out on my birthday made the hate-watch more personal.

So my parents got me the DVD/Blue-Ray. I watched it with the whole family, and...it was a movie. I will say, I wasn't expecting to see Nerscylla (Which is strange because everything in this movie screams World when Nerscylla isn't in that game) in the film, but the fact that they got Nerscylla's sleep needle attack correctly was one of the very few things that made me happy.

Everything else was a headache for me. Like, I was constantly commenting/complaining throughout the movie about how inaccurate a lot of things were. And the Chef Palico. Dear gods, the Chef Palico. What in the uncanny valley was that? Not to mention they ripped the cooking scene straight out of World! And then they had to pull in my boy Gore Magala at the literal last minute.

Now. Do I hate this movie? Yes.
Do I think this movie was a mistake and that God has abandoned us yet again? Yes.
Am I gonna watch the sequel(s) when they release out of personal spite? Yes.
Hello.

Fellow MonHun fan here.

After finding out about this movie from a Monster Hunter Youtube Channel, "livid" puts it lightly. But I had to see it, no matter how painful it would be for me. The little fact that it was originally gonna come out on my birthday made the hate-watch more personal.

So my parents got me the DVD/Blue-Ray. I watched it with the whole family, and...it was a movie. I will say, I wasn't expecting to see Nerscylla (Which is strange because everything in this movie screams World when Nerscylla isn't in that game) in the film, but the fact that they got Nerscylla's sleep needle attack correctly was one of the very few things that made me happy.

Everything else was a headache for me. Like, I was constantly commenting/complaining throughout the movie about how inaccurate a lot of things were. And the Chef Palico. Dear gods, the Chef Palico. What in the uncanny valley was that? Not to mention they ripped the cooking scene straight out of World! And then they had to pull in my boy Gore Magala at the literal last minute.

Now. Do I hate this movie? Yes.
Do I think this movie was a mistake and that God has abandoned us yet again? Yes.
Am I gonna watch the sequel(s) when they release out of personal spite? Yes.
fced41bdccad1a8c5ef3e9ae0635f4b0a7267717.gif
Have not seen it, and probably won't. I've seen some reviews and it's definitely not my cup of tea. It seems so disrespectful towards what the games are about.

Hoping there'll be an actual Monster Hunter movie in the future. Or a nature mockumentary. That could work.
Have not seen it, and probably won't. I've seen some reviews and it's definitely not my cup of tea. It seems so disrespectful towards what the games are about.

Hoping there'll be an actual Monster Hunter movie in the future. Or a nature mockumentary. That could work.
even though ive been a diehard monhun fan since 2015, i dont want to put myself through watching that movie....ever. lol

what angers me most isnt the fact they decided to go with this weird US military route with the characters/story but the sets they chose. you have these amazing, stunning colourful areas full of nature in the games and your main setting is just a plain ol desert? cmooonn

the one redeeming factor it has is gore magala even tho its obvious sequel bait
even though ive been a diehard monhun fan since 2015, i dont want to put myself through watching that movie....ever. lol

what angers me most isnt the fact they decided to go with this weird US military route with the characters/story but the sets they chose. you have these amazing, stunning colourful areas full of nature in the games and your main setting is just a plain ol desert? cmooonn

the one redeeming factor it has is gore magala even tho its obvious sequel bait
MUYNhfy.png
tyEuRXe.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
[quote name="Xionahri" date="2023-01-18 12:39:33" ] Have not seen it, and probably won't. I've seen some reviews and it's definitely not my cup of tea. It seems so disrespectful towards what the games are about. Hoping there'll be an actual Monster Hunter movie in the future. Or a nature mockumentary. That could work. [/quote] Yesssss MonHun was MADE for mockumentaries, that'd be perfrect. Like, maybe a Hunter and researcher tag team on a quest to catalogue all these monsters, providing commentary and banter over beautifully made animation
Xionahri wrote on 2023-01-18 12:39:33:

Yesssss
MonHun was MADE for mockumentaries, that'd be perfrect. Like, maybe a Hunter and researcher tag team on a quest to catalogue all these monsters, providing commentary and banter over beautifully made animation
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
I refuse to watch it.
I refuse to watch it.
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
The movie might even work well if it was a completely new universe, just having the crafting mechanics and monsters being similar to Monster Hunter. The dimensional travelling thing feels so wrong, it's just not compatible. [quote name="Xionahri" date="2023-01-18 12:39:33" ] Hoping there'll be an actual Monster Hunter movie in the future. Or a nature mockumentary. That could work. [/quote] I just now realized it's Capcom again, and they could repeat what they did with Resident Evil. Make it right and produce their own CGI Monster Hunter movies.
The movie might even work well if it was a completely new universe, just having the crafting mechanics and monsters being similar to Monster Hunter.
The dimensional travelling thing feels so wrong, it's just not compatible.
Xionahri wrote on 2023-01-18 12:39:33:
I just now realized it's Capcom again, and they could repeat what they did with Resident Evil. Make it right and produce their own CGI Monster Hunter movies.
ngl I was hoping you were talking about the netflix guild film involving the ace hunters from 4-4U, that one I heard was better than this.. have only seen online reviews, not the film itself. while the monsters looked good (minus our Meowsicular Chef, the poor guy), they botched the soliders/hunters interaction. made both sides look terrible, honestly. I hope that they don't get to do a sequel, truly. makes me feel bad that someone I know only knows of MonHun from this movie. didn't learn how bad it was till months later. [emoji=fae scared size=2]
ngl I was hoping you were talking about the netflix guild film involving the ace hunters from 4-4U, that one I heard was better than this..
have only seen online reviews, not the film itself.
while the monsters looked good (minus our Meowsicular Chef, the poor guy), they botched the soliders/hunters interaction. made both sides look terrible, honestly.
I hope that they don't get to do a sequel, truly.
makes me feel bad that someone I know only knows of MonHun from this movie. didn't learn how bad it was till months later.
frsig_by_shadria_anarchy-dc719i3.png
I've been a MH fan for years, I absolutely hated it. I watched it with my fiance (who only has some second-hand knowledge of MH from me), we both absolutely loathed it.

Monster inaccuracies aside, I ask you all this- Why is the US military in a movie about hunting monsters. WHY. Why couldn't we have a movie centered around a MonHun hunter???? Even the cliche "this monster destroyed my village so I will get revenge" would be better than this weird isekai plot. We also cringed a lot at the character interactions, no chemistry between any of the characters, just... it felt like I was watching the live action adaptation of a very, very bad fanfiction.

The animated Netflix movie looks like a masterpiece by comparison, and I thought it was okay.
I've been a MH fan for years, I absolutely hated it. I watched it with my fiance (who only has some second-hand knowledge of MH from me), we both absolutely loathed it.

Monster inaccuracies aside, I ask you all this- Why is the US military in a movie about hunting monsters. WHY. Why couldn't we have a movie centered around a MonHun hunter???? Even the cliche "this monster destroyed my village so I will get revenge" would be better than this weird isekai plot. We also cringed a lot at the character interactions, no chemistry between any of the characters, just... it felt like I was watching the live action adaptation of a very, very bad fanfiction.

The animated Netflix movie looks like a masterpiece by comparison, and I thought it was okay.
Nocta | she/they | +10 FR time
"Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope."
6pMAXtp.jpg
[quote name="Alkyona" date="2023-01-19 10:15:05" ] Monster inaccuracies aside, I ask you all this- Why is the US military in a movie about hunting monsters. WHY. Why couldn't we have a movie centered around a MonHun hunter???? [/quote] honestly, they probably did this to cut budgets i bet. why bother making the weapon and armour props when you can just borrow some tactical gear and call it a day?
Alkyona wrote on 2023-01-19 10:15:05:
Monster inaccuracies aside, I ask you all this- Why is the US military in a movie about hunting monsters. WHY. Why couldn't we have a movie centered around a MonHun hunter????

honestly, they probably did this to cut budgets i bet. why bother making the weapon and armour props when you can just borrow some tactical gear and call it a day?
MUYNhfy.png
tyEuRXe.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
1 2