Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Honest opinions about DeviantArt
1 2 3 4 5 6
Hooo boy, DeviantArt.

Personally I haven't used it in years, but it played a huge part in me becoming an artist. I created my first account all the way back in 2013 when I was only 11 and all I could use to draw was gimp and a computer mouse.
There's, like.. a TON of horrible things about it imo, lol. I remember art theft was a huge thing back when I was active, I'm not sure if people are still doing it as much now, but I remember people would create whole new accounts just to repost artwortk from other artists and then get called out for it usually only hours later.
It's also hard talking about DeviantArts' issues without discussing the.. uh.. more Not Safe For Work aspects of it, buuut considering I don't feel like getting banned I'll only say that I genuinely worry for all the kids on there who get asked by creepy adults to draw their, uh, weird "hobbies". Happened to me once, but thank GOD I said no.

That being said, I still remember my time on there fondly. I met some lovely friends, learned art techniques I still use to this day, developed my art style and created whole characters, worlds and stories I still think about to this day! DeviantArt is definitely not for me anymore, I'd rather post my stuff on Tumblr, but I'm definitely thankful to some aspects of it. Definitely regret deactivating my old account on there, I wish I could have access to my old art from it.
Hooo boy, DeviantArt.

Personally I haven't used it in years, but it played a huge part in me becoming an artist. I created my first account all the way back in 2013 when I was only 11 and all I could use to draw was gimp and a computer mouse.
There's, like.. a TON of horrible things about it imo, lol. I remember art theft was a huge thing back when I was active, I'm not sure if people are still doing it as much now, but I remember people would create whole new accounts just to repost artwortk from other artists and then get called out for it usually only hours later.
It's also hard talking about DeviantArts' issues without discussing the.. uh.. more Not Safe For Work aspects of it, buuut considering I don't feel like getting banned I'll only say that I genuinely worry for all the kids on there who get asked by creepy adults to draw their, uh, weird "hobbies". Happened to me once, but thank GOD I said no.

That being said, I still remember my time on there fondly. I met some lovely friends, learned art techniques I still use to this day, developed my art style and created whole characters, worlds and stories I still think about to this day! DeviantArt is definitely not for me anymore, I'd rather post my stuff on Tumblr, but I'm definitely thankful to some aspects of it. Definitely regret deactivating my old account on there, I wish I could have access to my old art from it.
bulbasaur.gifivysaur.gifvenusaur-f.gif

knives || it/he || art shop
Didn’t know you could deactivate your account! Had to go do that right away, that website is past the point of no return.
Didn’t know you could deactivate your account! Had to go do that right away, that website is past the point of no return.
i started using deviantart in probably like 2017, so ive never seen the original and honestly i kinda like the eclipse look. other than that i didnt really pay attention to what went on on the site, i would just mess around with friends and thats it

ive been through like 5 accounts by now though lol because i always end up just not using it and i hate having accounts sitting around that i dont use, but then i make a new one because i want to put my art somewhere but thenn i dont use it again and ahgh but ive deleted it for the last time and wont make a new one. i hope.

and its so tedious uploading a bunch of things at once. never really get a following besides the two friends i have on there lol, but i dont really care about that i just want somewhere to put a gallery, so then i found carrd and i just put all my stuff on there. carrd is kind of annoying to set up too but it works for me, although if you want a following then carrd doesnt do much lol

really you kinda just have to get lucky on any platform to get a following, but yeah there arent many too good places left. i guessss insta maybe is ok? but eh, could be better places. i guess for now you could just post on insta/twitter and spam a bunch of tags, spread it out everywhere, advertise yourself. maybe post your accounts in artist discord servers, whatever. that could work for whatever platform you end up going with, and then maybe if a new better site comes around then you can just move to that and hopefully at least some people will follow you to there
i started using deviantart in probably like 2017, so ive never seen the original and honestly i kinda like the eclipse look. other than that i didnt really pay attention to what went on on the site, i would just mess around with friends and thats it

ive been through like 5 accounts by now though lol because i always end up just not using it and i hate having accounts sitting around that i dont use, but then i make a new one because i want to put my art somewhere but thenn i dont use it again and ahgh but ive deleted it for the last time and wont make a new one. i hope.

and its so tedious uploading a bunch of things at once. never really get a following besides the two friends i have on there lol, but i dont really care about that i just want somewhere to put a gallery, so then i found carrd and i just put all my stuff on there. carrd is kind of annoying to set up too but it works for me, although if you want a following then carrd doesnt do much lol

really you kinda just have to get lucky on any platform to get a following, but yeah there arent many too good places left. i guessss insta maybe is ok? but eh, could be better places. i guess for now you could just post on insta/twitter and spam a bunch of tags, spread it out everywhere, advertise yourself. maybe post your accounts in artist discord servers, whatever. that could work for whatever platform you end up going with, and then maybe if a new better site comes around then you can just move to that and hopefully at least some people will follow you to there
LVVfHp2.png | FR+3
| elune adore
| wishlist
| adopts
86128068.pngw7Yv8Mj.png
Yeah I also stopped using it after the Core update, years and years ago.

That said, I wonder what the big problem is to get another site up and running. Yeah it's a very big undertaking but on the other hand, there's plenty of money to be made in filling a niche (and this is a massive unfulfilled niche) so I'm surprised there hasn't been any real competition for dA.
Yeah I also stopped using it after the Core update, years and years ago.

That said, I wonder what the big problem is to get another site up and running. Yeah it's a very big undertaking but on the other hand, there's plenty of money to be made in filling a niche (and this is a massive unfulfilled niche) so I'm surprised there hasn't been any real competition for dA.
IMG-2023-08-05-124048.jpg
DA was already the Myspace of art sites but with it's current AI situation I can only see that getting worse. I used DA a lot in junior high and high school but hadn't touched it since a year or two ago. Even then I still hadn't touched it since I'd herd about the AI situation.

I'm an unknown, amateur, sometimes-artist and even I've had my work stolen so my taste for wanting to put anything of mine on the internet has already gone pretty sour, I can't imagine what it's like for people who are leagues above me having to fight off NFT and AI nonsense from once trusted art sites.

DA, in my opinion, was already a dead website from a bygone, millennial era and their attempt to stay hip is only hurting them more and pushing people, literally, from their servers. If DA does last the next several years it'll be a swamp of AI/NFT bots and people claiming works as their own, more so than they already are.
DA was already the Myspace of art sites but with it's current AI situation I can only see that getting worse. I used DA a lot in junior high and high school but hadn't touched it since a year or two ago. Even then I still hadn't touched it since I'd herd about the AI situation.

I'm an unknown, amateur, sometimes-artist and even I've had my work stolen so my taste for wanting to put anything of mine on the internet has already gone pretty sour, I can't imagine what it's like for people who are leagues above me having to fight off NFT and AI nonsense from once trusted art sites.

DA, in my opinion, was already a dead website from a bygone, millennial era and their attempt to stay hip is only hurting them more and pushing people, literally, from their servers. If DA does last the next several years it'll be a swamp of AI/NFT bots and people claiming works as their own, more so than they already are.
YfTeOCO.gifbKniD.gifF3wW9ES.gif
it kind of sucks but i still use it tbh

in my case it's largely a matter of convenience as someone whose been on the site for like. probably over a decade now? i have a decent following and my art gets attention there, and building up a presence from scratch on a new site is exhausting. i've been contemplating rejoining tumblr but it's just so much easier to upload things to a site i already have set up y'know

in other words, it works for me because i'm already there, but if i were starting today, i don't think it'd be worth it to try and build a new dA account from the ground up :/

and like everyone said the AI thing sucks. the concept itself is super cool, but sites like dA aren't helping the ethics debate behind database sourcing (as someone who has built web scrapers for research purposes, this exact debate has been around for a while in biology too. you'd think literal scientists would care more about intellectual properties but no)
it kind of sucks but i still use it tbh

in my case it's largely a matter of convenience as someone whose been on the site for like. probably over a decade now? i have a decent following and my art gets attention there, and building up a presence from scratch on a new site is exhausting. i've been contemplating rejoining tumblr but it's just so much easier to upload things to a site i already have set up y'know

in other words, it works for me because i'm already there, but if i were starting today, i don't think it'd be worth it to try and build a new dA account from the ground up :/

and like everyone said the AI thing sucks. the concept itself is super cool, but sites like dA aren't helping the ethics debate behind database sourcing (as someone who has built web scrapers for research purposes, this exact debate has been around for a while in biology too. you'd think literal scientists would care more about intellectual properties but no)
hikaru
22 • he/him • eng/jpn • fr+3

click here for a random bird
________
It sucks. Don't use it. Much like ArtStation, they've already been proven to hate their own community, and it's a matter of time until things go even more drastically downhill.
It sucks. Don't use it. Much like ArtStation, they've already been proven to hate their own community, and it's a matter of time until things go even more drastically downhill.
I have a lot of good memories of it... I spent tons of time on it from like age 12 to 16 I want to say. I love and miss the weird trends like sparkledogs and plz accounts and really bizarre nsfw content lolll
I have a lot of good memories of it... I spent tons of time on it from like age 12 to 16 I want to say. I love and miss the weird trends like sparkledogs and plz accounts and really bizarre nsfw content lolll
ytkEBod.pngll0CfnD.png510b8a63d40dc52d20b17daf90107ad8a80d4b80.png
Been a member since 2005 and I loved my time on there. Made a lot of new friends, learned a lot of new things and had a decent following. Lots of fond memories.

DA is no longer that site. Like most have said, Eclipse was the final nail in the coffin, it's just awful now and I can't get used to it. I haven't updated my gallery in years, and all this mess with AI art just makes it more off-putting.

I'm still somewhat active on tumblr but since the uh... you-know-what ban in 2017 that has gone downhill too, at least for me. A lot of people I used to interact with left and now it's just... eeeehhhhhh. Still totally usable, don't get me wrong, but tumblr lost a lot of its charm with that move. I still have hope that one day I'll be able to truly enjoy it again.

I've been eyeballing Pillowfort lately, which is basically tumblr but better based on what I know about it. I don't know how active it is though or how it truly functions, but it looks promising.
Been a member since 2005 and I loved my time on there. Made a lot of new friends, learned a lot of new things and had a decent following. Lots of fond memories.

DA is no longer that site. Like most have said, Eclipse was the final nail in the coffin, it's just awful now and I can't get used to it. I haven't updated my gallery in years, and all this mess with AI art just makes it more off-putting.

I'm still somewhat active on tumblr but since the uh... you-know-what ban in 2017 that has gone downhill too, at least for me. A lot of people I used to interact with left and now it's just... eeeehhhhhh. Still totally usable, don't get me wrong, but tumblr lost a lot of its charm with that move. I still have hope that one day I'll be able to truly enjoy it again.

I've been eyeballing Pillowfort lately, which is basically tumblr but better based on what I know about it. I don't know how active it is though or how it truly functions, but it looks promising.
Hoarding:
Wildwood Owlet 9 hours ahead of FR Sakura Owlet
I mainly only have a DA account purely to have a catalouge for my art/ a place to put EVERYTHING in. Which is sort of sad, because I'm mostly confident no one will see my stuff with how convoluted the site is rn.

Which is a pity as I remember having some great times on the site when I was younger :(
I mainly only have a DA account purely to have a catalouge for my art/ a place to put EVERYTHING in. Which is sort of sad, because I'm mostly confident no one will see my stuff with how convoluted the site is rn.

Which is a pity as I remember having some great times on the site when I was younger :(
tumblr_3101128eca80765c70cd203d3e243a5b_6521130c_100.png ama, she/her
FR+8
Calliope writes a poem for someone who needs it
1 2 3 4 5 6