Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Obscure games & lost media share
1 2 3
Are there any games you've played that seemingly don't exist when you try to search for them on the internet? [img]https://i.imgur.com/INi7rrw.png[/img] Here's one I took several [url=https://imgur.com/a/1G8qVIR]screenshots[/url] of a couple of years ago. File creation date is August 2002. The name appears to be "Zippoz Adventure" or "Zippo_D" but if you look it up all you get is lighters. Adding quotation marks gives 0 search results. Google has no record of this game's existence. I don't know where it was downloaded from, there are no credits, no author, and no website listed. Looking at the binary data through a hex editor doesn't provide any hidden links or names either, but I did manage to find the string "Borland Software". The ONLY connection I managed to find to the creator was the email address whiz_inc@hotmail.com in a .doc file that came with the game, a supposed "shareware registration" form, lol. I'm 99% sure that hotmail isn't around anymore but correct me if I'm wrong. When I was little, my dad downloaded a bunch of freeware games for me to play from what he now admits were very sketchy websites, I had about a hundred games in my name folder on our Windows 2000 family PC. There were many obscure games but some I managed to actually find online a few years ago. Unfortunately, the external hard drive is temporarily unavailable due to an unknown problem and as soon as it gets repaired (if ever), I'll see what other obscure old games I can find on it. Do you guys any any obscure lost media that you managed to preserve?
Are there any games you've played that seemingly don't exist when you try to search for them on the internet?

INi7rrw.png

Here's one I took several screenshots of a couple of years ago. File creation date is August 2002. The name appears to be "Zippoz Adventure" or "Zippo_D" but if you look it up all you get is lighters. Adding quotation marks gives 0 search results. Google has no record of this game's existence. I don't know where it was downloaded from, there are no credits, no author, and no website listed. Looking at the binary data through a hex editor doesn't provide any hidden links or names either, but I did manage to find the string "Borland Software". The ONLY connection I managed to find to the creator was the email address whiz_inc@hotmail.com in a .doc file that came with the game, a supposed "shareware registration" form, lol. I'm 99% sure that hotmail isn't around anymore but correct me if I'm wrong.

When I was little, my dad downloaded a bunch of freeware games for me to play from what he now admits were very sketchy websites, I had about a hundred games in my name folder on our Windows 2000 family PC. There were many obscure games but some I managed to actually find online a few years ago. Unfortunately, the external hard drive is temporarily unavailable due to an unknown problem and as soon as it gets repaired (if ever), I'll see what other obscure old games I can find on it.

Do you guys any any obscure lost media that you managed to preserve?
ePOliyb.png8VNo9V1.pngBzjAkuF.png
artist | programmer | retro nerd

Cool draggos: KyarCrossFelony

{ Hi! I'm Mr. Ocelittle! See my wishlist! )
ifGjLLQ.png
unfortunately I do not have this and I haven't been able to find it, but I remember playing a Pokemon stacking game. the playing field featured icons of various Pokemon type symbols, and you had to drag a symbol to collect more of the same type and create stacks without running into other stacks.
if my memory is correct, it didn't include Fairy but did include all other types, and the aesthetic was based on I think the B/W games (though it might also have been based on Platinum).
I played it on one of those free-to-play-games websites which had a ton of other games, and I'm 90% sure it was Flash-based. it was probably not officially licensed by Nintendo and may have been DMCA'd at some point. I haven't been able to find it in BlueMaxima's Flashpoint archive, and the websites I remember playing on the most at the time have been completely revamped and no longer include anything similar.
unfortunately I do not have this and I haven't been able to find it, but I remember playing a Pokemon stacking game. the playing field featured icons of various Pokemon type symbols, and you had to drag a symbol to collect more of the same type and create stacks without running into other stacks.
if my memory is correct, it didn't include Fairy but did include all other types, and the aesthetic was based on I think the B/W games (though it might also have been based on Platinum).
I played it on one of those free-to-play-games websites which had a ton of other games, and I'm 90% sure it was Flash-based. it was probably not officially licensed by Nintendo and may have been DMCA'd at some point. I haven't been able to find it in BlueMaxima's Flashpoint archive, and the websites I remember playing on the most at the time have been completely revamped and no longer include anything similar.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
[quote name="TheHunterZ" date="2022-09-18 10:35:52" ] Here's one I took several [url=https://imgur.com/a/1G8qVIR]screenshots[/url] of a couple of years ago. File creation date is August 2002. The name appears to be "Zippoz Adventure" or "Zippo_D" but if you look it up all you get is lighters. Adding quotation marks gives 0 search results. Google has no record of this game's existence. I don't know where it was downloaded from, there are no credits, no author, and no website listed. Looking at the binary data through a hex editor doesn't provide any hidden links or names either, but I did manage to find the string "Borland Software". The ONLY connection I managed to find to the creator was the email address whiz_inc@hotmail.com in a .doc file that came with the game, a supposed "shareware registration" form, lol. I'm 99% sure that hotmail isn't around anymore but correct me if I'm wrong. [/quote] Looks very obscure indeed. Got one or two of those old game collections with shareware and the minigames for Windows XP, but I doubt this was on it. Hope you can find out more. [quote name="LouckyKoneko" date="2022-09-18 11:22:56" ] unfortunately I do not have this and I haven't been able to find it, but I remember playing a Pokemon stacking game. the playing field featured icons of various Pokemon type symbols, and you had to drag a symbol to collect more of the same type and create stacks without running into other stacks. if my memory is correct, it didn't include Fairy but did include all other types, and the aesthetic was based on I think the B/W games (though it might also have been based on Platinum). I played it on one of those free-to-play-games websites which had a ton of other games, and I'm 90% sure it was Flash-based. it was probably not officially licensed by Nintendo and may have been DMCA'd at some point. I haven't been able to find it in BlueMaxima's Flashpoint archive, and the websites I remember playing on the most at the time have been completely revamped and no longer include anything similar. [/quote] Reminds me alot of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge or Pokemon Link. If this was on those Flash game pages like Newgrounds, it's for sure fan made, and who knows how much had been archived. Fairy type didn't exist until X and Y, and if I'm not mistaken Flash games were pretty much dead at that point. Could've probably been earlier gens. One game's name I completely forgot and was looking for years, but managed to discover not too long ago. Googling for hours for PS1 FPS games always gave me the same results and people in stream chats had also no clue beyond that. Turns out it was "Expert", a japanese exclusive. Got raided into a Twitch stream with someone just playing it, among other japanese games. [img]https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/256602-expert-playstation-front-cover.jpg[/img]
TheHunterZ wrote on 2022-09-18 10:35:52:
Here's one I took several screenshots of a couple of years ago. File creation date is August 2002. The name appears to be "Zippoz Adventure" or "Zippo_D" but if you look it up all you get is lighters. Adding quotation marks gives 0 search results. Google has no record of this game's existence. I don't know where it was downloaded from, there are no credits, no author, and no website listed. Looking at the binary data through a hex editor doesn't provide any hidden links or names either, but I did manage to find the string "Borland Software". The ONLY connection I managed to find to the creator was the email address whiz_inc@hotmail.com in a .doc file that came with the game, a supposed "shareware registration" form, lol. I'm 99% sure that hotmail isn't around anymore but correct me if I'm wrong.
Looks very obscure indeed. Got one or two of those old game collections with shareware and the minigames for Windows XP, but I doubt this was on it. Hope you can find out more.

LouckyKoneko wrote on 2022-09-18 11:22:56:

Reminds me alot of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge or Pokemon Link. If this was on those Flash game pages like Newgrounds, it's for sure fan made, and who knows how much had been archived.
Fairy type didn't exist until X and Y, and if I'm not mistaken Flash games were pretty much dead at that point. Could've probably been earlier gens.

One game's name I completely forgot and was looking for years, but managed to discover not too long ago.
Googling for hours for PS1 FPS games always gave me the same results and people in stream chats had also no clue beyond that.
Turns out it was "Expert", a japanese exclusive. Got raided into a Twitch stream with someone just playing it, among other japanese games.

256602-expert-playstation-front-cover.jpg
@Vehementis Actually, I did! The info I shared on the thread was from years ago but today, after typing it out, I decided to give this google-wide search one last try and... I found two results!! The key was to search "Zippo's Adventure", quotation marks included. Apparently spelling it with a 'z' like on the title screen is not correct. What made me decide to try an ''s' spelling? I was digging through the code once again, and I found the full title hidden in the binary. No clue why the creator made it so darn hard to find out the title of the game, of all things xD So apparently there are exactly two downloads available of this game, you can search it up yourself. Do I recommend it though? Not really, it was challenging when I was like 2-3 years old but now it's just cool for being an obscure piece of media that probably no one else on the internet knows about.
@Vehementis Actually, I did! The info I shared on the thread was from years ago but today, after typing it out, I decided to give this google-wide search one last try and... I found two results!! The key was to search "Zippo's Adventure", quotation marks included. Apparently spelling it with a 'z' like on the title screen is not correct. What made me decide to try an ''s' spelling? I was digging through the code once again, and I found the full title hidden in the binary. No clue why the creator made it so darn hard to find out the title of the game, of all things xD So apparently there are exactly two downloads available of this game, you can search it up yourself. Do I recommend it though? Not really, it was challenging when I was like 2-3 years old but now it's just cool for being an obscure piece of media that probably no one else on the internet knows about.

ifGjLLQ.png
I remember playing this superhero game around 2010-2012 maybe, it was meant for kids 8-12 I recall. I've searched for all kinds of keywords and can't find anything. It was on a website that you had to sign up for, it wasn't a part of any mini flash games or anything at the time. It was kind of like a Movie Star Planet rip-off but with superheroes. It even had something similar to their pets but you went to an iceberg and you'd catch them out of there. You had to do quests and challenges. There was also another game that was furballs with legs. The game had no players at all anytime I went online. I remember it being kind of in the artstyle of Purble Place with the hats and glasses being similar. I remember mine was tall and had shoes and some glasses.
I remember playing this superhero game around 2010-2012 maybe, it was meant for kids 8-12 I recall. I've searched for all kinds of keywords and can't find anything. It was on a website that you had to sign up for, it wasn't a part of any mini flash games or anything at the time. It was kind of like a Movie Star Planet rip-off but with superheroes. It even had something similar to their pets but you went to an iceberg and you'd catch them out of there. You had to do quests and challenges. There was also another game that was furballs with legs. The game had no players at all anytime I went online. I remember it being kind of in the artstyle of Purble Place with the hats and glasses being similar. I remember mine was tall and had shoes and some glasses.
CFFUclk.png ---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
{100 Generations Challenge}
c4a5xZL.png
[quote name="Are" date="2022-09-18 15:06:44" ] I remember playing this superhero game around 2010-2012 maybe, it was meant for kids 8-12 I recall. I've searched for all kinds of keywords and can't find anything. It was on a website that you had to sign up for, it wasn't a part of any mini flash games or anything at the time. It was kind of like a Movie Star Planet rip-off but with superheroes. It even had something similar to their pets but you went to an iceberg and you'd catch them out of there. You had to do quests and challenges. There was also another game that was furballs with legs. The game had no players at all anytime I went online. I remember it being kind of in the artstyle of Purble Place with the hats and glasses being similar. I remember mine was tall and had shoes and some glasses. [/quote] that first one is 100% herotopia, i remember playing it! after shutting down (in 2015-2017 i think?) they just started making apps and a youtube cartoon about the pets from the game lol, they're called smighties
Are wrote on 2022-09-18 15:06:44:

that first one is 100% herotopia, i remember playing it! after shutting down (in 2015-2017 i think?) they just started making apps and a youtube cartoon about the pets from the game lol, they're called smighties

Tailmon.gifOABX4Ak.gif Jg8HnSS.pngguil.gif
@thehunterz

definitelyyy should post this to reddit.
@thehunterz

definitelyyy should post this to reddit.
MV1Iakt.png they/them | 18 | artist | INTP | FR+2 MV1Iakt.png
@Eliseium

Probably not worth it since I managed to find two downloads for it, no clue what else there is to the game. Maybe the creator's other games, if there are any? I think I'll wait until our hard drive is fixed, hoping to dig up more cool games lost to time :)
@Eliseium

Probably not worth it since I managed to find two downloads for it, no clue what else there is to the game. Maybe the creator's other games, if there are any? I think I'll wait until our hard drive is fixed, hoping to dig up more cool games lost to time :)

ifGjLLQ.png
If anyone here knows about an obscure flash game where you drive a car and pick up people for a party and also the people you pick up are wearing animal costumes, please let me know because me and my brother have been searching forever for it.

I have no screenshots or any leads, but I know it exists because my brother and I both recalled the same details about the game.

Also I don't have any attachment to this game I just really wanna know what it was lol
If anyone here knows about an obscure flash game where you drive a car and pick up people for a party and also the people you pick up are wearing animal costumes, please let me know because me and my brother have been searching forever for it.

I have no screenshots or any leads, but I know it exists because my brother and I both recalled the same details about the game.

Also I don't have any attachment to this game I just really wanna know what it was lol
3Y3t130.pnglctaZd8.png AvyBrzc.png
[quote name="maukipa" date="2022-09-19 08:36:44" ] [quote name="Are" date="2022-09-18 15:06:44" ] I remember playing this superhero game around 2010-2012 maybe, it was meant for kids 8-12 I recall. I've searched for all kinds of keywords and can't find anything. It was on a website that you had to sign up for, it wasn't a part of any mini flash games or anything at the time. It was kind of like a Movie Star Planet rip-off but with superheroes. It even had something similar to their pets but you went to an iceberg and you'd catch them out of there. You had to do quests and challenges. There was also another game that was furballs with legs. The game had no players at all anytime I went online. I remember it being kind of in the artstyle of Purble Place with the hats and glasses being similar. I remember mine was tall and had shoes and some glasses. [/quote] that first one is 100% herotopia, i remember playing it! after shutting down (in 2015-2017 i think?) they just started making apps and a youtube cartoon about the pets from the game lol, they're called smighties [/quote] I remember playing Herotopia! If I remember, the game taught you to act up against bullying and to help stop it. Bullies had a chance of spawning on the map and you had to use powers to get rid of them. You could either play as a girl, boy, or baby for your character. For some reason, I always used a laser-eye power against anyone who played as babies (It wouldn't do anything, of course). I dunno where that came from, but it's kind of funny. ----------------------------- These were either 'false' memories or actual lost media. There was this game I remember playing around 2006 - 2010-ish where it was essentially Club Penguin but with dinosaurs. I think it might have been called Dinosaurus / Dinosawus? It was semi-3d, and you could pick between 4 dinosaurs, those being a Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus, A Triceratops, and a T-Rex. However, you could only play as the last two if you had a membership. The rest of the areas were pretty fuzzy to me, but the ones that stuck out to me were a 60's diner with a coloring mini game and a tree house with a pop-the-bubbles minigame(?) I also remember playing a game called Star86, where you were a colorful alien. There were many planets, and each of them had a minigame to them. (One of them was where you had to run from a werewolf who would be a player, another one was to avoid stepping on landmines) You could customize your ship and make music using an in-game tool as well. It used to be super popular when it came out, but the player-base slowly dwindled down until there were only less than 20 people on a server. Not lost media (well, sorta), but does anyone else remember playing Fight My Monster or Woogi World?
maukipa wrote on 2022-09-19 08:36:44:
Are wrote on 2022-09-18 15:06:44:

that first one is 100% herotopia, i remember playing it! after shutting down (in 2015-2017 i think?) they just started making apps and a youtube cartoon about the pets from the game lol, they're called smighties

I remember playing Herotopia! If I remember, the game taught you to act up against bullying and to help stop it. Bullies had a chance of spawning on the map and you had to use powers to get rid of them.

You could either play as a girl, boy, or baby for your character. For some reason, I always used a laser-eye power against anyone who played as babies (It wouldn't do anything, of course). I dunno where that came from, but it's kind of funny.

These were either 'false' memories or actual lost media.

There was this game I remember playing around 2006 - 2010-ish where it was essentially Club Penguin but with dinosaurs. I think it might have been called Dinosaurus / Dinosawus? It was semi-3d, and you could pick between 4 dinosaurs, those being a Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus, A Triceratops, and a T-Rex. However, you could only play as the last two if you had a membership.
The rest of the areas were pretty fuzzy to me, but the ones that stuck out to me were a 60's diner with a coloring mini game and a tree house with a pop-the-bubbles minigame(?)

I also remember playing a game called Star86, where you were a colorful alien. There were many planets, and each of them had a minigame to them. (One of them was where you had to run from a werewolf who would be a player, another one was to avoid stepping on landmines) You could customize your ship and make music using an in-game tool as well. It used to be super popular when it came out, but the player-base slowly dwindled down until there were only less than 20 people on a server.

Not lost media (well, sorta), but does anyone else remember playing Fight My Monster or Woogi World?
40d328c43be268b5d074dbc874b8ba24.jpg
1 2 3