Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What web browser do you use?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
firefox. i used chrome for a long time but one day it started to lag horrendously and nothing fixed it so it's in the trash now.
firefox. i used chrome for a long time but one day it started to lag horrendously and nothing fixed it so it's in the trash now.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
Chrome.
Chrome.
CFFUclk.png ---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
{100 Generations Challenge}
c4a5xZL.png
crhome for school and work and some other things
firefox for social media and fr and etc

on mobile
i have a bunch installed
firefox focus
firefox
opera
chrome (try to avoid bc no adblocker)
brave
crhome for school and work and some other things
firefox for social media and fr and etc

on mobile
i have a bunch installed
firefox focus
firefox
opera
chrome (try to avoid bc no adblocker)
brave
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
Give & get space tertiary game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
On Android- Chrome On Laptop, however... [img]https://i.ibb.co/wC3bVQL/Microsoft-Edgeboy.png[/img] I love icon customization
On Android- Chrome

On Laptop, however... Microsoft-Edgeboy.png

I love icon customization
Clara the Blaziken, She/Her, 2+ Fr time, Professional Idiot :))))
With 5 pages worth of discussion I'm not sure how much more I can personally add to this but regardless I'd like to list a couple of reasons why I love FireFox:

1) Open-source. Programs like these are generally more trustworthy as anyone can go and read through the code to find anything suspicious, and anyone with free time can lend a hand in development. Open-source projects are usually very user-friendly and focus more on the masses than any kind of profit.

2) Privacy. Many updates come with optional add-ons and features to secure your account and make it harder for websites to steal your data. I personally don't use any of those features or add-ons, I simply block third party cookies and send "do not track" warnings, but it's a nice feature for people who REALLY care about their privacy.

3) Customization. I have tried Chrome and Opera on desktop, and neither has the insane amount of customization that Firefox does. In short, Firefox is like the Linux of web browsers - everything about it is customizable, not just the themes, but the icon placement, too. I like to be able to pick which shortcuts I want displayed on the top of my browser window, and be able to rearrange them as I please. I don't use any themes personally, the default dark theme is satisfactory.

4) RAM usage. I've heard people say that FF is more resourceful for them than Chrome, but personally, FF eats up less RAM for me, and I tend to have anywhere between 30-50 tabs open at any given time as opposed to Chrome's 2-5. I do switch between using the three aforementioned browsers for different purposes (like Chrome being for uni and work stuff, Opera for misc. stuff. Firefox takes anywhere between 600-2000 MB of RAM for me, depending on how long I've left it running, with all the tabs open. It's still a lot, yeah, but it hasn't bothered me too much since my RAM upgrade.

Now, there is one thing that I dislike about Firefox and it's speed. It could just be because I have been using it for a while, have a couple of add-ons installed, and don't clear my cookies frequently enough, but it does perform noticeably slower than Chrome. But the pos9itives outweigh the negatives by a ton, so I'm not planning to switch to Chrome, or even Opera. Opera is nicer than Chrome in my opinion. Just the simple fact that Chrome is owned by Google, one of the largest and greediest companies in the world, is a big enough red flag for me.

In the past, I had a weird glitch with Firefox that made it never remember any site data and cookies, and I thought it was a faulty update. I tried switching to Chrome but it pained me how little customization there was. I tried Opera for the first time then, it just felt off. I did finally figure out what the problem was, I don't remember what it was anymore but it wasn't the browser itself but rather something on my PC conflicting with it. Maybe it was my ID card reader? I remember that being problematic at one point... same ID card reader caused my Firefox to crash over 200 times before I finally decided I'd had enough and went to investigate the source, lol. Shows how patient I am with technology...

One more tiny detail I love about FF when compared to chrome is its developer settings in about:config. It allows to toggle some features that are simple unavailable in Chrome all together. An even tinier detail is that Firefox has a smooth scrolling option in its settings, and Chrome doesn't. I fount out you can toggle it through Chrome's developer settings but when I did that, nothing changed, further convincing me how bad Chrome's advanced settings are.

TL;DR: Firefox is the best in every aspect that isn't performance. This is my opinion based on my experiences with three different browsers, all of which I use regularly. Feel free to respond to either of these points, I'd be happy to discuss this further!

EDIT: Worth pointing out that on Android I use Opera because from past experience, mobile Firefox is slow, like, really slooooooooooow. I heard it's gotten better but I'm used to Opera, it's pretty neat on mobile. Android Chrome, however, is the worst piece of software I've ever had on my phone, it doesn't even allow add-ons at all...
With 5 pages worth of discussion I'm not sure how much more I can personally add to this but regardless I'd like to list a couple of reasons why I love FireFox:

1) Open-source. Programs like these are generally more trustworthy as anyone can go and read through the code to find anything suspicious, and anyone with free time can lend a hand in development. Open-source projects are usually very user-friendly and focus more on the masses than any kind of profit.

2) Privacy. Many updates come with optional add-ons and features to secure your account and make it harder for websites to steal your data. I personally don't use any of those features or add-ons, I simply block third party cookies and send "do not track" warnings, but it's a nice feature for people who REALLY care about their privacy.

3) Customization. I have tried Chrome and Opera on desktop, and neither has the insane amount of customization that Firefox does. In short, Firefox is like the Linux of web browsers - everything about it is customizable, not just the themes, but the icon placement, too. I like to be able to pick which shortcuts I want displayed on the top of my browser window, and be able to rearrange them as I please. I don't use any themes personally, the default dark theme is satisfactory.

4) RAM usage. I've heard people say that FF is more resourceful for them than Chrome, but personally, FF eats up less RAM for me, and I tend to have anywhere between 30-50 tabs open at any given time as opposed to Chrome's 2-5. I do switch between using the three aforementioned browsers for different purposes (like Chrome being for uni and work stuff, Opera for misc. stuff. Firefox takes anywhere between 600-2000 MB of RAM for me, depending on how long I've left it running, with all the tabs open. It's still a lot, yeah, but it hasn't bothered me too much since my RAM upgrade.

Now, there is one thing that I dislike about Firefox and it's speed. It could just be because I have been using it for a while, have a couple of add-ons installed, and don't clear my cookies frequently enough, but it does perform noticeably slower than Chrome. But the pos9itives outweigh the negatives by a ton, so I'm not planning to switch to Chrome, or even Opera. Opera is nicer than Chrome in my opinion. Just the simple fact that Chrome is owned by Google, one of the largest and greediest companies in the world, is a big enough red flag for me.

In the past, I had a weird glitch with Firefox that made it never remember any site data and cookies, and I thought it was a faulty update. I tried switching to Chrome but it pained me how little customization there was. I tried Opera for the first time then, it just felt off. I did finally figure out what the problem was, I don't remember what it was anymore but it wasn't the browser itself but rather something on my PC conflicting with it. Maybe it was my ID card reader? I remember that being problematic at one point... same ID card reader caused my Firefox to crash over 200 times before I finally decided I'd had enough and went to investigate the source, lol. Shows how patient I am with technology...

One more tiny detail I love about FF when compared to chrome is its developer settings in about:config. It allows to toggle some features that are simple unavailable in Chrome all together. An even tinier detail is that Firefox has a smooth scrolling option in its settings, and Chrome doesn't. I fount out you can toggle it through Chrome's developer settings but when I did that, nothing changed, further convincing me how bad Chrome's advanced settings are.

TL;DR: Firefox is the best in every aspect that isn't performance. This is my opinion based on my experiences with three different browsers, all of which I use regularly. Feel free to respond to either of these points, I'd be happy to discuss this further!

EDIT: Worth pointing out that on Android I use Opera because from past experience, mobile Firefox is slow, like, really slooooooooooow. I heard it's gotten better but I'm used to Opera, it's pretty neat on mobile. Android Chrome, however, is the worst piece of software I've ever had on my phone, it doesn't even allow add-ons at all...
ePOliyb.png8VNo9V1.pngBzjAkuF.png
artist | programmer | retro nerd

Cool draggos: KyarCrossFelony

{ Hi! I'm Mr. Ocelittle! See my wishlist! )
ifGjLLQ.png
chrome ofc.

also rip internet explorer you will be missed (not really)
chrome ofc.

also rip internet explorer you will be missed (not really)
3Y3t130.pnglctaZd8.png AvyBrzc.png
I use Firefox on my laptop, because Chrome crashes every 5 minutes. I would use Chrome if it doesn't crash. On my phone I use Chrome for everything, and Samsung Internet for Google Classroom, because I'm too lazy to open it in Chrome.
I use Firefox on my laptop, because Chrome crashes every 5 minutes. I would use Chrome if it doesn't crash. On my phone I use Chrome for everything, and Samsung Internet for Google Classroom, because I'm too lazy to open it in Chrome.
image.png
KNdRBxl.png
jA5A7gu.png
tyEuRXe.png
rI18gRz.png
agWlVws.png
Bt9KLea.png
kcbWnDp.png
mlHpBMC.png
mlSrRbK.png
WAkWK5y.png
SRsfBYm.png
qhK4FYS.png
3hKoziR.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
5hF3FGk.png
HZSRMw5.png
image.png
Microsoft Edge for me. It's moved to Chromium recently, and it is feature packed already, and I believe consumes less RAM than Chrome.
Microsoft Edge for me. It's moved to Chromium recently, and it is feature packed already, and I believe consumes less RAM than Chrome.
firefox gang rise up
firefox gang rise up
097fe9bb15c36a1f4509e52d9751380acc01514f.gif
Firefox!
Firefox!
I've come to call you about your car's extended warranty
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10