Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any tips to help focus on lectures?
1 2
Kind of weird to ask, but I have this issue where I would zone out quite often in school and college lectures. Do any of you have any suggestions to combat this? It can be offline, online meeting lectures, or just simply an online lecture they post. [quote]Edit: Basically, new slides generally catch my attention rather than the auditory information. I lack auditory focus, so I depend on books and slides heavily. So, exploring ways to see if anyone manages to have ideas. Note taking is absolutely helpful, but when auditory takes over…it just falls apart.[/quote] Adding a small tidbit from my online experiences! Deaf student (with hearing aid) with note accommodations as well for offline. Wanted to clear possible confusion! I am getting good grades, so no worries! I just wanted to try to add lectures to my understanding more often.
Kind of weird to ask, but I have this issue where I would zone out quite often in school and college lectures. Do any of you have any suggestions to combat this? It can be offline, online meeting lectures, or just simply an online lecture they post.
Quote:
Edit: Basically, new slides generally catch my attention rather than the auditory information. I lack auditory focus, so I depend on books and slides heavily. So, exploring ways to see if anyone manages to have ideas. Note taking is absolutely helpful, but when auditory takes over…it just falls apart.

Adding a small tidbit from my online experiences! Deaf student (with hearing aid) with note accommodations as well for offline. Wanted to clear possible confusion! I am getting good grades, so no worries! I just wanted to try to add lectures to my understanding more often.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
I find writing notes is really helpful, even if I don't need the notes, just to force myself to think about what the professor is saying. Also random thing--if the lecture is recorded, playing it at 1.5x - 2x speed doesn't usually make you lose any comprehension, and it's faster ;)
I find writing notes is really helpful, even if I don't need the notes, just to force myself to think about what the professor is saying. Also random thing--if the lecture is recorded, playing it at 1.5x - 2x speed doesn't usually make you lose any comprehension, and it's faster ;)
Seconding writing notes- although partly that's just so you have something to go back over when you miss stuff. But do as I say not as I do because I struggled to pay attention in class I blame the adhd
Seconding writing notes- although partly that's just so you have something to go back over when you miss stuff. But do as I say not as I do because I struggled to pay attention in class I blame the adhd
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
Yeah, I can understand writing notes! Though, as a deaf student, it’s generally approached differently for me! I struggle to depend on auditory and writing even with a hearing aid and an interpreter. I have such messy handwriting because of how much I want to pack in quickly. I’m grateful for online classes to take things at my own pace. Though, I depend on slides heavily for visual information and to get things across to me. For offline classes, I generally have a note taker for this college.
Yeah, I can understand writing notes! Though, as a deaf student, it’s generally approached differently for me! I struggle to depend on auditory and writing even with a hearing aid and an interpreter. I have such messy handwriting because of how much I want to pack in quickly. I’m grateful for online classes to take things at my own pace. Though, I depend on slides heavily for visual information and to get things across to me. For offline classes, I generally have a note taker for this college.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
Closed
[quote name="DarkVixen" date="2022-09-07 16:32:16" ] Yeah, I can understand writing notes! Though, as a deaf student, it’s generally approached differently for me! I struggle to depend on auditory and writing even with a hearing aid and an interpreter. I have such messy handwriting because of how much I want to pack in quickly. I’m grateful for online classes to take things at my own pace. Though, I depend on slides heavily for visual information and to get things across to me. For offline classes, I generally have a note taker for this college. [/quote] Ah I see! Yea I never took online classes and my notes were always super messy I often can't read my own handwriting. Honestly I can't think of anything else that helped me pay attention I basically did or didn't [emoji=skull size=1]. Oh wait I did have one class in highschool that was online! But it was a subject I was VERY interested in and "be interested in the subject" isn't really advice lol. I'm very sorry I can't help.
DarkVixen wrote on 2022-09-07 16:32:16:
Ah I see! Yea I never took online classes and my notes were always super messy I often can't read my own handwriting.

Honestly I can't think of anything else that helped me pay attention I basically did or didn't .

Oh wait I did have one class in highschool that was online! But it was a subject I was VERY interested in and "be interested in the subject" isn't really advice lol.

I'm very sorry I can't help.
a cartoonized velvet worm that is a dark blue with white specks all over. the art's signature is 476242
[quote name="EternalLife" date="2022-09-07 16:48:55" ] [quote name="DarkVixen" date="2022-09-07 16:32:16" ] Yeah, I can understand writing notes! Though, as a deaf student, it’s generally approached differently for me! I struggle to depend on auditory and writing even with a hearing aid and an interpreter. I have such messy handwriting because of how much I want to pack in quickly. I’m grateful for online classes to take things at my own pace. Though, I depend on slides heavily for visual information and to get things across to me. For offline classes, I generally have a note taker for this college. [/quote] Ah I see! Yea I never took online classes and my notes were always super messy I often can't read my own handwriting. Honestly I can't think of anything else that helped me pay attention I basically did or didn't [emoji=skull size=1]. Oh wait I did have one class in highschool that was online! But it was a subject I was VERY interested in and "be interested in the subject" isn't really advice lol. I'm very sorry I can't help. [/quote] It's all good! It is in good faith! Just exploring to see if anyone has any interesting ideas I could use to get through lectures. I just prefer books over them because I can't get through auditory information too well. I just prefer to read it and see it.
EternalLife wrote on 2022-09-07 16:48:55:
DarkVixen wrote on 2022-09-07 16:32:16:
Ah I see! Yea I never took online classes and my notes were always super messy I often can't read my own handwriting.

Honestly I can't think of anything else that helped me pay attention I basically did or didn't .

Oh wait I did have one class in highschool that was online! But it was a subject I was VERY interested in and "be interested in the subject" isn't really advice lol.

I'm very sorry I can't help.
It's all good! It is in good faith! Just exploring to see if anyone has any interesting ideas I could use to get through lectures. I just prefer books over them because I can't get through auditory information too well. I just prefer to read it and see it.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
Closed
Could write some notes- but I sometimes just draw in class since it keeps me focused away from tuning out!

And sometimes a lecture is just impossibly boring. Oops.
Could write some notes- but I sometimes just draw in class since it keeps me focused away from tuning out!

spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
[quote name="Bronzewing" date="2022-09-07 18:32:07" ] Could write some notes- but I sometimes just draw in class since it keeps me focused away from tuning out! And sometimes a lecture is just impossibly boring. Oops. [/quote] I do need to practice drawing, so that could be a great idea!
Bronzewing wrote on 2022-09-07 18:32:07:

I do need to practice drawing, so that could be a great idea!
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
Closed
Notes are the only thing that really helped me at 8 AM.

If you've got online lectures you can go watch again try making very brief notes like a word or two to jog your memory and then a timestamp of the lecture when you took the note so if you can't remember what it's supposed to mean you can skip to that part of the lecture to hear it again.

It will save you time since anything that does make sense you don't need to study but anything you need to look up will be something you do need to study.

Whatever you do don't try to count audible tics your lecturer's have. I had one where I counted the number of times they used "Like, you know" and I didn't retain anything else they said.
Notes are the only thing that really helped me at 8 AM.

If you've got online lectures you can go watch again try making very brief notes like a word or two to jog your memory and then a timestamp of the lecture when you took the note so if you can't remember what it's supposed to mean you can skip to that part of the lecture to hear it again.

It will save you time since anything that does make sense you don't need to study but anything you need to look up will be something you do need to study.

Whatever you do don't try to count audible tics your lecturer's have. I had one where I counted the number of times they used "Like, you know" and I didn't retain anything else they said.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@DarkVixen Again, I’ll also say note taking. I was once told that the physical process of sending the notes from your brain to your hand, than to the paper, will make your remember them so much better. So, note taking with the old’ pen and paper is probably heaps better than tapping them out on a keyboard.

Try to find the most relevant key points to write down, with necessary sub-points. This will help in any kind of lecture. Keeping the notes organised will keep your thoughts organised and on-task while learning.

I personally wouldn’t recommend drawing while listening to a lecture, as that is definitely not what paying attention is. Unless the drawing is some kind of graph or image that you need to know or reference later.
@DarkVixen Again, I’ll also say note taking. I was once told that the physical process of sending the notes from your brain to your hand, than to the paper, will make your remember them so much better. So, note taking with the old’ pen and paper is probably heaps better than tapping them out on a keyboard.

Try to find the most relevant key points to write down, with necessary sub-points. This will help in any kind of lecture. Keeping the notes organised will keep your thoughts organised and on-task while learning.

I personally wouldn’t recommend drawing while listening to a lecture, as that is definitely not what paying attention is. Unless the drawing is some kind of graph or image that you need to know or reference later.
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
1 2