Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ2022] Cooking Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Linked both entries, thank you! :)
Linked both entries, thank you! :)
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
[b]Username:[/b] Avmire [b]Entry Title:[/b] Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup [b]Theme:[/b] Made with homemade chicken broth and hand-pulled egg noodles, this chicken noodle soup is made with ingredients both new and old! Using frozen chicken legs, fresh and days-old veggies, herbs and spices, and lots of water, these ingredients were combined in a large pot and set to simmer for about three hours. The broth smelled fantastic and was full of flavor and nutrients from the ingredients used. The broth recipe called for the ingredients to be strained out of the broth before using in other dishes, but this soup can utilize the broth ingredients perfectly! The chicken falls right off the bone and is easily shredded and dispersed throughout. The simmered veggies provide great flavor and are great for one's health! Even limp or not very appealing vegetables can be revived in soups or stews. These handmade noodles were made with simple ingredients found around the house: flour, eggs, salt, and water. The dough was cut and pulled to create many noodles that were added to the soup. The result was a flavorful and healthy soup that held more flavor, nutrients, and less salt than simple canned soup. It is very easy to make since it requires multiple hours of boiling, leaving a nice rest period in between ingredients prep for tackling other tasks. (For me, a person that loves chicken soup but is not very impressed with the canned version, making this was a treat!) By using excess veggies from the farmer's market and stored chicken legs that might find it difficult to be used in other recipes, this soup is able to make something delicious out of these unused ingredients! [img]https://i.imgur.com/28vm4Ya.jpg[/img] here's a second photo that features the pot I cooked it in! :D [img]https://i.imgur.com/K6aES9C.jpg[/img]
Username: Avmire

Entry Title: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Theme: Made with homemade chicken broth and hand-pulled egg noodles, this chicken noodle soup is made with ingredients both new and old!

Using frozen chicken legs, fresh and days-old veggies, herbs and spices, and lots of water, these ingredients were combined in a large pot and set to simmer for about three hours. The broth smelled fantastic and was full of flavor and nutrients from the ingredients used. The broth recipe called for the ingredients to be strained out of the broth before using in other dishes, but this soup can utilize the broth ingredients perfectly! The chicken falls right off the bone and is easily shredded and dispersed throughout. The simmered veggies provide great flavor and are great for one's health! Even limp or not very appealing vegetables can be revived in soups or stews.

These handmade noodles were made with simple ingredients found around the house: flour, eggs, salt, and water. The dough was cut and pulled to create many noodles that were added to the soup. The result was a flavorful and healthy soup that held more flavor, nutrients, and less salt than simple canned soup. It is very easy to make since it requires multiple hours of boiling, leaving a nice rest period in between ingredients prep for tackling other tasks. (For me, a person that loves chicken soup but is not very impressed with the canned version, making this was a treat!)

By using excess veggies from the farmer's market and stored chicken legs that might find it difficult to be used in other recipes, this soup is able to make something delicious out of these unused ingredients!

28vm4Ya.jpg

here's a second photo that features the pot I cooked it in! :D
K6aES9C.jpg

74055311.png gYzuoZS.png
please add me to the voting pinglist!
please add me to the voting pinglist!
Ahhh this is perfect! I have so many ripe strawberries ready to eat! Loving the eateries so far :3
Ahhh this is perfect! I have so many ripe strawberries ready to eat! Loving the eateries so far :3
4W0Ys.gif
Linked Avmire's entry and updated ping lists! :)
Linked Avmire's entry and updated ping lists! :)
[b]Username:[/b] Comfrey [b]Entry Title:[/b] Pantry Bustin' Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies [b]Theme:[/b] I was a little timid about entering this contest, but when I saw the theme I had to. I developed this recipe back at the beginning of the pandemic and have since tweaked it to what it is now. I call it my best pantry-buster, it's really great for taking some odds and ends that may be sitting in your cupboards and turning them into something sweet. This recipe utilizes: peanut butter, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, flour, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, an egg, and chocolate chips, of course. I know what you're thinking- no butter, no sugar?? But it's true, this hardy lil recipe takes those cupboard condiments and swaps em in with no issue! This has really stretched some of these ingredients for me since they're usually useless on their own, and the rest I usually have on hand, and it doesn't call for much of them. The peanut butter, honey, and applesauce really are the bulk of the recipe. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/644451263446122517/991378042033283082/IMG_0809.jpg[/img] I think these cookies capture what I love most about baking, and that's the magic. It feels like using the wrong equation but getting the right answer, throwing this stuff together and getting cookies out of it, but it really works! I feel like these cookies really embody the spirit of our theme, I mean it when I say they're hardy - I've chilled them before putting them in, and tried without, both work! And when experimenting with the baking time, I've found they're nearly impossible to burn. They've really helped me stretch some ingredients in an efficient manner to both prevent waste and make some pretty thrifty cookies. These guys have got all of the flavor profile and less of the calories, too, if that's your thing. I'm including some more pics from a time I've made them in the past, because... I like pictures of cookies. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/644451263446122517/991371721720479865/IMG_0804.jpg[/img] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/644451263446122517/991371815802908672/IMG_0805.jpg[/img] Look at that texture! Trust me, this is a cookie that'll teach you to never doubt those odds and ends in your pantry again! [b][i]Anything [/i]can be a cookie![/b] Also, they will make your living space smell like Reece's Pieces. [emoji=new friend size=1]
Username: Comfrey

Entry Title: Pantry Bustin' Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Theme: I was a little timid about entering this contest, but when I saw the theme I had to. I developed this recipe back at the beginning of the pandemic and have since tweaked it to what it is now. I call it my best pantry-buster, it's really great for taking some odds and ends that may be sitting in your cupboards and turning them into something sweet. This recipe utilizes: peanut butter, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, flour, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, an egg, and chocolate chips, of course.

I know what you're thinking- no butter, no sugar?? But it's true, this hardy lil recipe takes those cupboard condiments and swaps em in with no issue! This has really stretched some of these ingredients for me since they're usually useless on their own, and the rest I usually have on hand, and it doesn't call for much of them. The peanut butter, honey, and applesauce really are the bulk of the recipe.

IMG_0809.jpg

I think these cookies capture what I love most about baking, and that's the magic. It feels like using the wrong equation but getting the right answer, throwing this stuff together and getting cookies out of it, but it really works! I feel like these cookies really embody the spirit of our theme, I mean it when I say they're hardy - I've chilled them before putting them in, and tried without, both work! And when experimenting with the baking time, I've found they're nearly impossible to burn. They've really helped me stretch some ingredients in an efficient manner to both prevent waste and make some pretty thrifty cookies.

These guys have got all of the flavor profile and less of the calories, too, if that's your thing. I'm including some more pics from a time I've made them in the past, because... I like pictures of cookies.

IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg

Look at that texture! Trust me, this is a cookie that'll teach you to never doubt those odds and ends in your pantry again! Anything can be a cookie!

Also, they will make your living space smell like Reece's Pieces.
Art of a frog on a leaf next to a bromeliad flower with the text Tropical Rainforest to the right
everbloomgardenspog 8VvjJ9p.png
tun
tIf897pA.gif
she/he
FR+3
tun
[b]Username:[/b] Beezarre [b]Entry Title:[/b] One-pot Hearty Potatoes & Co [b]Theme:[/b] The main ingredients for this dish are pretty much entirely things that are common place enough in my life that I either have cooked leftovers, uncooked 'that can was too big for the previous dish' leftovers that need seeing to, and 'wait, the date on that is a little too close to what the calendar is telling me the date is' (I'm good at finding stuff with longer dates, but bad at keeping track of what day it *is*) Moreover, 'Waste Makes Taste' called to me when I saw it as it was a Bad day, and I had little to no energy to make lunch (no proverbial spoons, although I did have a literal one which I used for this). This dish has the advantage of needing relatively little interference (you put stuff in one after the other in some semblance of order, stir every now and again, and if you play your cards right you have at least one meal if not more and much less dishwashing to do afterwards. No food is wasted, but also no extra time or energy, which is a nice bonus!) [b][i]This, to me, is the edible equivalent of tea being a hug in a mug. Except you can have tea *with* it, too! Two hugs, without any infringement on your personal space![/i][/b] I took notes as I made it on the first day of the event and put off writing it properly. Because it combines 'one-pot' with 'leftovers' it is very flexible, and I'll be pointing out what's easiest to alter to your taste as I go along. [i](Side note: English is not my first language and cooking isn't something I'm overly familiar with, let alone in another language, so this may be wonky!)[/i] [b]Skills needed:[/b] None. Trust me, I don't have any and made it! [b]Ingredients[/b] (most things are optional, this can fit most dietary needs/leftover situations): [LIST] [*][i]Olive Oil[/i] (or cooking oil of your choice, or butter even) [*][i]Salt[/i] [*][i]Garlic[/i] (grated in my case) [*][i]Onions[/i] (crispy ready made ones in my case, whatever you've got on hand will work, just put them in a bit earlier if they aren't cooked and you're good!) [*][i]Potatoes[/i] (I used canned potatoes for this, strained them by leaving the can a little open by the side of the sink, it's fine if they're still a bit wet! If using pre-cooked leftover potatoes you might want to cut them into more manageable chunks lest you end up with mashed potatoes) [*][i]Brussel Sprouts[/i] (aka: [i]ready to eat/pre-cooked Vegetables[/i] that don't mind being mixed a little, works well with canned mushrooms as well for example) (mine were canned, I strained them like the potatoes, any leftover juice will disappear as it cooks. Unfortunately, on this occasion, mine decided that mashed *was* the state they wished to be in, still good though!) [*][i]Knacks/Sausages[/i] (think protein, if you have leftover chicken, bacon, or some tofu, this'll work out so long as you adjust seasoning)(mine were the type you can microwave and I did that to save time, but depending on what you put in, you may want to add it earlier in the cooking process so whatever you added is actually cooked by the time you decide it's finished) [*][i]French Mustard[/i] (if eaten cold) [/LIST] [b]Proportions:[/b] There are three things you have to keep in mind: 1. How many leftovers do you need to sort out? 2. Do they balance out in terms of servings (I did 50/50 on potatoes and sprouts so I wouldn't have leftover sprouts but that was a bit much) 3. How big is your pot. No, really. I mean the last thing you want is putting everything in then realising you can't stir it because there's too much. [img]https://i.imgur.com/7C1BrGX.jpg[/img] [b]The actual recipe:[/b] [LIST] [*]Put 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot and on the stove. [*]When hot, add potatoes, watch as the oil rebels, question your life choices. [*]Add salt and garlic to taste (you can add more later if needed, no worries. Do take the salt other ingredients bring in into account, but you'll probably want those potatoes salted unless they already were) [*]Bask in the heavenly smell. [*]Add (crispy) onions. (If you actually want any crispness, you'll want to add some more once you're done, this bit is for taste/seasoning.) [*]Stir regularly until you're 2/3rd happy with how cooked things are. [*]Add the sprouts, salt a bit if needed, add extra onions if you feel like it. [*]Microwave the knacks (or add them to the pot earlier if not, you'll want them cooked!) cut into pieces and add to the mix. [*]Stir as you go. Keep an eye on it until it looks(/tastes) as you want it to. With the ingredients listed you have plenty of leeway. [/LIST] [b]Result:[/b] Depending on how much you put in the pot (and how many people are eating off of it) you may now have *more* leftovers... but a little longer to eat them! [img]https://i.imgur.com/QX3bshQ.jpg[/img] [b]Friendly warning:[/b] Once your pot is empty (straight to your stomach/in a plate/lunch box etc) fill it with water. Now. Seriously. Future-you/whoever does the dishes will hate you if you don't. The [i]upside of this dish[/i] is that while it's[i] heartily delicious warm[/i], it [i]can also be eaten cold[/i], especially with (French) mustard (at least with the ingredients I put in). When I make this dish it's always for myself and I tend to have it hot when I make it and cold later. You can microwave it to warm it up! (You'll want to cover the plate though, unless you were planning on redecorating the insides of your microwave with brussel sprouts. I generally put some cling film on the plate(s) that goes in the fridge once cold to avoid that kind of mishap and keep things tidy.) (The downside of this dish is that whoever walks in to the general area where you've prepared it, if you've used brussel sprouts, will sniff and make a face. This is not a sneaky dish!) [i]This is one of my go-to feel-good dishes, hopefully it'll come in handy for others as well![/i] [emoji=regeneration size=1]
Username: Beezarre

Entry Title: One-pot Hearty Potatoes & Co

Theme: The main ingredients for this dish are pretty much entirely things that are common place enough in my life that I either have cooked leftovers, uncooked 'that can was too big for the previous dish' leftovers that need seeing to, and 'wait, the date on that is a little too close to what the calendar is telling me the date is' (I'm good at finding stuff with longer dates, but bad at keeping track of what day it *is*)

Moreover, 'Waste Makes Taste' called to me when I saw it as it was a Bad day, and I had little to no energy to make lunch (no proverbial spoons, although I did have a literal one which I used for this). This dish has the advantage of needing relatively little interference (you put stuff in one after the other in some semblance of order, stir every now and again, and if you play your cards right you have at least one meal if not more and much less dishwashing to do afterwards. No food is wasted, but also no extra time or energy, which is a nice bonus!)

This, to me, is the edible equivalent of tea being a hug in a mug. Except you can have tea *with* it, too! Two hugs, without any infringement on your personal space!

I took notes as I made it on the first day of the event and put off writing it properly. Because it combines 'one-pot' with 'leftovers' it is very flexible, and I'll be pointing out what's easiest to alter to your taste as I go along. (Side note: English is not my first language and cooking isn't something I'm overly familiar with, let alone in another language, so this may be wonky!)

Skills needed: None. Trust me, I don't have any and made it!

Ingredients (most things are optional, this can fit most dietary needs/leftover situations):
  • Olive Oil (or cooking oil of your choice, or butter even)
  • Salt
  • Garlic (grated in my case)
  • Onions (crispy ready made ones in my case, whatever you've got on hand will work, just put them in a bit earlier if they aren't cooked and you're good!)
  • Potatoes (I used canned potatoes for this, strained them by leaving the can a little open by the side of the sink, it's fine if they're still a bit wet! If using pre-cooked leftover potatoes you might want to cut them into more manageable chunks lest you end up with mashed potatoes)
  • Brussel Sprouts (aka: ready to eat/pre-cooked Vegetables that don't mind being mixed a little, works well with canned mushrooms as well for example) (mine were canned, I strained them like the potatoes, any leftover juice will disappear as it cooks. Unfortunately, on this occasion, mine decided that mashed *was* the state they wished to be in, still good though!)
  • Knacks/Sausages (think protein, if you have leftover chicken, bacon, or some tofu, this'll work out so long as you adjust seasoning)(mine were the type you can microwave and I did that to save time, but depending on what you put in, you may want to add it earlier in the cooking process so whatever you added is actually cooked by the time you decide it's finished)
  • French Mustard (if eaten cold)

Proportions: There are three things you have to keep in mind:
1. How many leftovers do you need to sort out?
2. Do they balance out in terms of servings (I did 50/50 on potatoes and sprouts so I wouldn't have leftover sprouts but that was a bit much)
3. How big is your pot. No, really. I mean the last thing you want is putting everything in then realising you can't stir it because there's too much.

7C1BrGX.jpg

The actual recipe:
  • Put 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot and on the stove.
  • When hot, add potatoes, watch as the oil rebels, question your life choices.
  • Add salt and garlic to taste (you can add more later if needed, no worries. Do take the salt other ingredients bring in into account, but you'll probably want those potatoes salted unless they already were)
  • Bask in the heavenly smell.
  • Add (crispy) onions. (If you actually want any crispness, you'll want to add some more once you're done, this bit is for taste/seasoning.)
  • Stir regularly until you're 2/3rd happy with how cooked things are.
  • Add the sprouts, salt a bit if needed, add extra onions if you feel like it.
  • Microwave the knacks (or add them to the pot earlier if not, you'll want them cooked!) cut into pieces and add to the mix.
  • Stir as you go. Keep an eye on it until it looks(/tastes) as you want it to. With the ingredients listed you have plenty of leeway.

Result: Depending on how much you put in the pot (and how many people are eating off of it) you may now have *more* leftovers... but a little longer to eat them!

QX3bshQ.jpg

Friendly warning: Once your pot is empty (straight to your stomach/in a plate/lunch box etc) fill it with water. Now. Seriously. Future-you/whoever does the dishes will hate you if you don't.

The upside of this dish is that while it's heartily delicious warm, it can also be eaten cold, especially with (French) mustard (at least with the ingredients I put in). When I make this dish it's always for myself and I tend to have it hot when I make it and cold later. You can microwave it to warm it up!
(You'll want to cover the plate though, unless you were planning on redecorating the insides of your microwave with brussel sprouts. I generally put some cling film on the plate(s) that goes in the fridge once cold to avoid that kind of mishap and keep things tidy.)

(The downside of this dish is that whoever walks in to the general area where you've prepared it, if you've used brussel sprouts, will sniff and make a face. This is not a sneaky dish!)

This is one of my go-to feel-good dishes, hopefully it'll come in handy for others as well!
tumblr_nknb5ifvlX1s7y9wxo3_100.png
dEe2UrM.png
5hF3FGk.png
QFQWWs0.png earthb1.png
Linked Comfrey and Beezarre's entries, thanks so much for entering :)
Linked Comfrey and Beezarre's entries, thanks so much for entering :)
[b]Username:[/b] MarinaQuakenbush [b]Entry Title:[/b] Miso Deviled Eggs 17 Hard boiled eggs - use ones that are old - waste makes taste! ~3/4 cup mayonaise - used avocado oil mayo ~1 Tbsp red miso paste ~4 Tbsp white vinegar 1. Hard boil eggs - boil for 10 mins 2. Halve eggs and put yolks into a bowl 3. Use a masher to mash yolks and mayo until smooth-ish 4. Add miso so perfectly blended 5. Add white vinegar to taste [b]Theme:[/b] Waste Makes Taste. This was perfect. I'm leaving the country for a while and trying to get rid of everything in my fridge like my leftover red miso and my eggs. I had a get-together to go to, so I made these eggs with what I had lying around. I also put little match stick carrots on top (which I keep forgetting to use up) to make it extra cute! :) I like mixing cultures and I think highlighting the miso gives this a nice flavor twist. [img]https://i.imgur.com/xR7eBlM.jpg[/img] p.s. I forgot to put my user number but hopefully that's okay?
Username: MarinaQuakenbush

Entry Title: Miso Deviled Eggs

17 Hard boiled eggs - use ones that are old - waste makes taste!
~3/4 cup mayonaise - used avocado oil mayo
~1 Tbsp red miso paste
~4 Tbsp white vinegar

1. Hard boil eggs - boil for 10 mins
2. Halve eggs and put yolks into a bowl
3. Use a masher to mash yolks and mayo until smooth-ish
4. Add miso so perfectly blended
5. Add white vinegar to taste

Theme: Waste Makes Taste. This was perfect. I'm leaving the country for a while and trying to get rid of everything in my fridge like my leftover red miso and my eggs. I had a get-together to go to, so I made these eggs with what I had lying around. I also put little match stick carrots on top (which I keep forgetting to use up) to make it extra cute! :) I like mixing cultures and I think highlighting the miso gives this a nice flavor twist.

xR7eBlM.jpg

p.s. I forgot to put my user number but hopefully that's okay?
'blue smedium banner
Username: TofuDog Entry Title: Fresas con Crema! Strawberries n cream! Theme: We live about half an hour away from any major city so we have to make do with what we have a lot of the time. There’s a lovely man that owns a fruit stand with his family down the road from us that we befriended! We started trading with him and taking his fruit and veggies that weren’t for for sale. This time he happened to have a lot of strawberries that would otherwise be thrown away if they’re not picked up by farmers. We made them some strawberry flavored margaritas and strawberries n cream with the boxes of strawberries they had gifted us! We also never let any food go to waste unless it is moldy! Our chickens love to eat our fruit & veggie scraps and left overs we forget about! In turn we get to eat fresh eggs and sometimes even fresh chicken. Ingredients: 1-2lbs Strawberries A Tub? Sour cream 14 oz Condensed Milk Salt to taste Recipe: There’s not much to it I promise! I don’t know exact measurements but I’ll estimate for you guys! First you need to rinse and wash your strawberries thoroughly! We sometimes like to let them soak in water and vinegar if they’re extra dirty. After you wash your strawberries you need to cut the leafy tops off, but try not to cut too much flesh off. Then you stand the strawberries flat, pointing up. Cut it into quarters and add to a large bowl! Then get a can of condensed milk and crack it open, I’d say add about 3/4 of the can but it is up to you how sweet you like it. We usually just do the whole can? I’m not sure how much sour cream to add but I’d say about half a cup or so? We usually just eyeball it tbh. The salt is just to add a little bit of balance so I’d say half a TEAspoon or so is good Mix thoroughly and it’s ready! We prefer it cold so we like to refrigerate it but you don’t have to :3 [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/2d39a6e9ba8eed5216b2093699eb6e57/e8c221fbec4bcfdd-c1/s1280x1920/96bf07b97bddaa854c1172d29b97519f026701c4.jpg[/img] I included a little pic on how to cut the strawberries bc why not [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/2a64c68f964fc7d48ce719b0ea8dfc3a/e8c221fbec4bcfdd-32/s1280x1920/d51012120701a19c23b012359beb6113dd1fce1b.jpg[/img] And a pic of our chickens enjoying some strawberry tops on a sunny day [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/10688eec60d10468734e1faaa263f541/e8c221fbec4bcfdd-64/s1280x1920/3df2935737c919a669935e18a2a1f44c4204a88a.jpg[/img]

Username: TofuDog

Entry Title: Fresas con Crema! Strawberries n cream!

Theme: We live about half an hour away from any major city so we have to make do with what we have a lot of the time. There’s a lovely man that owns a fruit stand with his family down the road from us that we befriended!
We started trading with him and taking his fruit and veggies that weren’t for for sale.
This time he happened to have a lot of strawberries that would otherwise be thrown away if they’re not picked up by farmers.
We made them some strawberry flavored margaritas and strawberries n cream with the boxes of strawberries they had gifted us!
We also never let any food go to waste unless it is moldy! Our chickens love to eat our fruit & veggie scraps and left overs we forget about! In turn we get to eat fresh eggs and sometimes even fresh chicken.

Ingredients:
1-2lbs Strawberries
A Tub? Sour cream
14 oz Condensed Milk
Salt to taste

Recipe:
There’s not much to it I promise! I don’t know exact measurements but I’ll estimate for you guys!
First you need to rinse and wash your strawberries thoroughly! We sometimes like to let them soak in water and vinegar if they’re extra dirty.
After you wash your strawberries you need to cut the leafy tops off, but try not to cut too much flesh off.
Then you stand the strawberries flat, pointing up.
Cut it into quarters and add to a large bowl!

Then get a can of condensed milk and crack it open, I’d say add about 3/4 of the can but it is up to you how sweet you like it. We usually just do the whole can?

I’m not sure how much sour cream to add but I’d say about half a cup or so? We usually just eyeball it tbh.

The salt is just to add a little bit of balance so I’d say half a TEAspoon or so is good

Mix thoroughly and it’s ready! We prefer it cold so we like to refrigerate it but you don’t have to :3

96bf07b97bddaa854c1172d29b97519f026701c4.jpg

I included a little pic on how to cut the strawberries bc why not
d51012120701a19c23b012359beb6113dd1fce1b.jpg

And a pic of our chickens enjoying some strawberry tops on a sunny day
3df2935737c919a669935e18a2a1f44c4204a88a.jpg
4W0Ys.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7