Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Books!
1 2
Highfire, by Eoin Colfer- it's a hermity dragon living in the swamps of Louisiana who accidentally saves the failiest swampkid from the villainous sheriff.
I don't remember the last time I laughed my way through a book like I did with that one- I read it in a day and then immediately restarted it, completely absorbed in it as I sat on a beach (which usually means I can't focus on more than short fanfic bc I'm too distracted by sun and ocean)~
The sheriff is so well done, as well- he's not one of those villains where I go 'eh, not believable' OR one of those villains where I go 'ok, but, he's not entirely wrong???'- he's just flat out unlikeable but so well written, a rarity (imo) (like, I can only think of two other examples from my 34 years of consuming media where I was that entranced by someone who was so unlikeable and just had to keep reading to see what happened with them next)~
Adult fiction, relatively new.

Jackaby (& Beastly Bones) (& probably Ghostly Echoes, but I've not finished it) (& likely The Dire King, but I've not started it) by William Ritter.
One person in the world can see the WHOLE world- from the mundane to the extraordinary faerie/spirit/otherworldly bits. And in this time period, it's Jackaby, who flounces around with a very Sherlockian air to him- from the way he can 'magically' solve cases (by seeing things others don't) to the way he's remarkably awkward with other humans.
Written from new-to-the-area Abigail's POV and following her as she gets caught up in the whirlwind of him by becoming his assistant.
Not focused on romance, and not between main characters, but smidgeon hints of it that are handled in a lovely way (thus far)- fantastic secondary characters and even well rounded and written background-ier characters.
Read the first one in a day, immediately started the second one the next day (would have been another 'finished in a day' book but my melatonin kicked in and I dropped the Kindle on my nose with seven chapters to go- but did get up early the next day to finish it)... slowed down on book three, because synopsis of 3&4 made me think I'd want those two immediately together and I had to wait to get ahold of 4.
Would be finished but OFMD fanfic ate my brain, oops.
YA Fiction, 2014-2017 dates

Highly, highly recommend both of those.
They've pleased my "tired librarian with no energy, 'gifted kid' burnout, and a fanfic addiction" self quite thoroughly.
Highfire, by Eoin Colfer- it's a hermity dragon living in the swamps of Louisiana who accidentally saves the failiest swampkid from the villainous sheriff.
I don't remember the last time I laughed my way through a book like I did with that one- I read it in a day and then immediately restarted it, completely absorbed in it as I sat on a beach (which usually means I can't focus on more than short fanfic bc I'm too distracted by sun and ocean)~
The sheriff is so well done, as well- he's not one of those villains where I go 'eh, not believable' OR one of those villains where I go 'ok, but, he's not entirely wrong???'- he's just flat out unlikeable but so well written, a rarity (imo) (like, I can only think of two other examples from my 34 years of consuming media where I was that entranced by someone who was so unlikeable and just had to keep reading to see what happened with them next)~
Adult fiction, relatively new.

Jackaby (& Beastly Bones) (& probably Ghostly Echoes, but I've not finished it) (& likely The Dire King, but I've not started it) by William Ritter.
One person in the world can see the WHOLE world- from the mundane to the extraordinary faerie/spirit/otherworldly bits. And in this time period, it's Jackaby, who flounces around with a very Sherlockian air to him- from the way he can 'magically' solve cases (by seeing things others don't) to the way he's remarkably awkward with other humans.
Written from new-to-the-area Abigail's POV and following her as she gets caught up in the whirlwind of him by becoming his assistant.
Not focused on romance, and not between main characters, but smidgeon hints of it that are handled in a lovely way (thus far)- fantastic secondary characters and even well rounded and written background-ier characters.
Read the first one in a day, immediately started the second one the next day (would have been another 'finished in a day' book but my melatonin kicked in and I dropped the Kindle on my nose with seven chapters to go- but did get up early the next day to finish it)... slowed down on book three, because synopsis of 3&4 made me think I'd want those two immediately together and I had to wait to get ahold of 4.
Would be finished but OFMD fanfic ate my brain, oops.
YA Fiction, 2014-2017 dates

Highly, highly recommend both of those.
They've pleased my "tired librarian with no energy, 'gifted kid' burnout, and a fanfic addiction" self quite thoroughly.
bHeX9bv.png
[quote name="knify" date="2022-04-25 12:08:47" ] I'd like to check some horror stuff out tho. Horror is my favorite genre in most of other media so I definitely need to find some good horror books to read too. [/quote] [center][b][color=green]@knify If you'd like to look into it, there's a Youtube video called "Crash Course in Horror", uploaded by NoveList. The "Crash Course" series on Youtube is geared toward helping librarians do reader's advisory when folks ask for books in genres we just don't read/know/etc, so it gathers up an excellent selection of starter sets--- they go over the history of the genre by giving examples of each 'era' of the genre, the 'classics' that are a sort of must have list, plus newer books to be excited about. They're very focused on promoting a diverse range of authors, as there's a certain subset of authors that seems to get all the praise (old, white, dude, etc), so that's a pretty nice breath of fresh air, too, imo? I've made my way through all of the available Crash Courses thus far and the Horror one was easily the one I found most interesting- I'm not particularly drawn to horror in other mediums, as I hate jump scares? But it's hard to jump scare in a book... so I'm quite interested in giving it a go, as I like the CONCEPT of horror, haha. I came out of that one with a long list of things to try. Highly recommend it as a source to find suggestions!! :) [/b][/color][/center]
knify wrote on 2022-04-25 12:08:47:
I'd like to check some horror stuff out tho. Horror is my favorite genre in most of other media so I definitely need to find some good horror books to read too.
@knify
If you'd like to look into it, there's a Youtube video called "Crash Course in Horror", uploaded by NoveList.
The "Crash Course" series on Youtube is geared toward helping librarians do reader's advisory when folks ask for books in genres we just don't read/know/etc, so it gathers up an excellent selection of starter sets--- they go over the history of the genre by giving examples of each 'era' of the genre, the 'classics' that are a sort of must have list, plus newer books to be excited about.
They're very focused on promoting a diverse range of authors, as there's a certain subset of authors that seems to get all the praise (old, white, dude, etc), so that's a pretty nice breath of fresh air, too, imo?

I've made my way through all of the available Crash Courses thus far and the Horror one was easily the one I found most interesting- I'm not particularly drawn to horror in other mediums, as I hate jump scares? But it's hard to jump scare in a book... so I'm quite interested in giving it a go, as I like the CONCEPT of horror, haha.
I came out of that one with a long list of things to try.

Highly recommend it as a source to find suggestions!!
:)
bHeX9bv.png
@FaerieIshee ooh that sounds great! thank you, i'll definitely check it out!
@FaerieIshee ooh that sounds great! thank you, i'll definitely check it out!
bulbasaur.gifivysaur.gifvenusaur-f.gif

knives || it/he || art shop
I used to read a book called The Convicts which was super cool to me at the time. I sadly never got to finish it sense my old librarian didn't let kids hold a book more than a week (this was years ago). I want to get back into reading soon. Anyone here got any scary books to recommend?
I used to read a book called The Convicts which was super cool to me at the time. I sadly never got to finish it sense my old librarian didn't let kids hold a book more than a week (this was years ago). I want to get back into reading soon. Anyone here got any scary books to recommend?
[quote name="knify" date="2022-04-25 12:08:47" ] As embarrassing as it is to admit I mostly read childrens books! Though to be fair I took a few years long break from reading anything at all so ya know, baby steps and all that. My favorite series is the Moomins.. It's just so warm. And I'm planning on reading Howl's Moving Castle soon ^_^ After that I'm planning on checking Watership Down out! I'd like to check some horror stuff out tho. Horror is my favorite genre in most of other media so I definitely need to find some good horror books to read too. [/quote] The howls moving castle was really good i hope you like it
knify wrote on 2022-04-25 12:08:47:
As embarrassing as it is to admit I mostly read childrens books! Though to be fair I took a few years long break from reading anything at all so ya know, baby steps and all that.

My favorite series is the Moomins.. It's just so warm. And I'm planning on reading Howl's Moving Castle soon ^_^ After that I'm planning on checking Watership Down out!

I'd like to check some horror stuff out tho. Horror is my favorite genre in most of other media so I definitely need to find some good horror books to read too.
The howls moving castle was really good i hope you like it
He/Him
Bi
I'm currently reading the cabin by Natasha Preston which is pretty good so far, but my fav recent read is the Good Girls Guide To murder series, it is just sooooo good, and it keeps you hooked the hole time.

Also i am reading some warrior cat books cause they are super fun.
I'm currently reading the cabin by Natasha Preston which is pretty good so far, but my fav recent read is the Good Girls Guide To murder series, it is just sooooo good, and it keeps you hooked the hole time.

Also i am reading some warrior cat books cause they are super fun.
He/Him
Bi
[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51WcP+w2TDS.SX316.SY480._SL500_.jpg[/img] A frothy confection of a book. If you're a writer make sure to read the Author's Note at the end.
51WcP+w2TDS.SX316.SY480._SL500_.jpg

A frothy confection of a book. If you're a writer make sure to read the Author's Note at the end.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
There are so many good recommendations in this thread.

I love reading and consider it my main hobby. My favorite book has to be Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It’s chunky but its a standalone adult fantasy and it’s so much fun. Dragons, queens, magic!

I also recently finished The Expanse series and it’s my absolute favorite series:)
There are so many good recommendations in this thread.

I love reading and consider it my main hobby. My favorite book has to be Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon. It’s chunky but its a standalone adult fantasy and it’s so much fun. Dragons, queens, magic!

I also recently finished The Expanse series and it’s my absolute favorite series:)
1 2