Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Difficulty Selling Dragons
Excuse my inexperience with forum use, I am just so lost in relation to this subject. I'd always rather sell my pretty hatchlings on the auction house, but I always run into the same problems. If I make the price too low, the hatchlings sell quick but end up in exalting lairs. But if I make the price literally any higher they never sell. Is there a happy medium or do I just have to cope with my hatchlings being exalted? Thanks! :^)
Excuse my inexperience with forum use, I am just so lost in relation to this subject. I'd always rather sell my pretty hatchlings on the auction house, but I always run into the same problems. If I make the price too low, the hatchlings sell quick but end up in exalting lairs. But if I make the price literally any higher they never sell. Is there a happy medium or do I just have to cope with my hatchlings being exalted? Thanks! :^)
@SunrisePetal Unfortunately, you're at the whim of the dragon market. There's a huge surplus of dragons so you've got some stiff competition. A lot of it comes down to what you're willing to do or compromise, but in the end, it doesn't even matter how high you price— if you sell, you're highly likely to see those dragons exalted, either immediately or in the future.

One potential compromise is to list the hatchlings higher, then lower the price if they don't sell so they can be sold to exalters (which are the absolute cornerstone of the dragon market because they will buy any dragon, reliably, so you are guaranteed a sale). That then frees up more space in your lair for more dragons.

Another potential compromise is to breed less and make your money in other ways— Fairgrounds, Coli grinding, etc— so that you have the luxury of waiting longer to see if your dragons sell. Some dragons take a while to sell because the buyer that wants them just doesn't see them until a month later or something— but it's not reliable, there are some dragons that just won't sell no matter what. (I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just don't want to accidentally give a false idea that all dragons will sell eventually— that might be true for some people but it's never been the case for me. I've had dragons hang out on the AH for months before I finally just exalted them.)

And the last compromise I'm going to list (there might be more) is to sell through the forums instead of the AH. It's a lot more work, and might be just as thankless, but you know who you're selling to and most hardcore exalters aren't going to hang around buying from the forums anyway because that's super slow.

Then the extremes are avoiding exalting by never selling a dragon or buying a bunch of fodder breeding pairs to breed pure exalt fodder— which seems like a smaller income but is extremely steady and reliable, as mentioned. I mostly level and exalt my own dragons, but when I can't, I sell to exalters because they will get the dragon out of my lair 100% guaranteed money.

I hope you can find a method that works for you and makes you happier! The dragon market is tough. Good luck!
@SunrisePetal Unfortunately, you're at the whim of the dragon market. There's a huge surplus of dragons so you've got some stiff competition. A lot of it comes down to what you're willing to do or compromise, but in the end, it doesn't even matter how high you price— if you sell, you're highly likely to see those dragons exalted, either immediately or in the future.

One potential compromise is to list the hatchlings higher, then lower the price if they don't sell so they can be sold to exalters (which are the absolute cornerstone of the dragon market because they will buy any dragon, reliably, so you are guaranteed a sale). That then frees up more space in your lair for more dragons.

Another potential compromise is to breed less and make your money in other ways— Fairgrounds, Coli grinding, etc— so that you have the luxury of waiting longer to see if your dragons sell. Some dragons take a while to sell because the buyer that wants them just doesn't see them until a month later or something— but it's not reliable, there are some dragons that just won't sell no matter what. (I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just don't want to accidentally give a false idea that all dragons will sell eventually— that might be true for some people but it's never been the case for me. I've had dragons hang out on the AH for months before I finally just exalted them.)

And the last compromise I'm going to list (there might be more) is to sell through the forums instead of the AH. It's a lot more work, and might be just as thankless, but you know who you're selling to and most hardcore exalters aren't going to hang around buying from the forums anyway because that's super slow.

Then the extremes are avoiding exalting by never selling a dragon or buying a bunch of fodder breeding pairs to breed pure exalt fodder— which seems like a smaller income but is extremely steady and reliable, as mentioned. I mostly level and exalt my own dragons, but when I can't, I sell to exalters because they will get the dragon out of my lair 100% guaranteed money.

I hope you can find a method that works for you and makes you happier! The dragon market is tough. Good luck!
I see, thanks a bunch for taking the time to enlighten me. I've been on Flight Rising for a few years now and I never really understood the purpose of exalting lairs until now, so thank you for filling me in. Honestly I'll probably just keep selling them for fodder price and the best ones I'll try the flight specific auction house. Have a great day!
I see, thanks a bunch for taking the time to enlighten me. I've been on Flight Rising for a few years now and I never really understood the purpose of exalting lairs until now, so thank you for filling me in. Honestly I'll probably just keep selling them for fodder price and the best ones I'll try the flight specific auction house. Have a great day!
Why would you put the best ones on the flight specific auction house? That just vastly limits the amount of potential buyers that will see your dragon and even further lowers the chance of a purchase.
Why would you put the best ones on the flight specific auction house? That just vastly limits the amount of potential buyers that will see your dragon and even further lowers the chance of a purchase.
5LqH0sj.png
I think your first response covered a lot of it but I want to add a few things:

-Dragons without popular color combos or new genes are typically easiest to sell, especially right after the new stuff comes out.
(it's jus expensive because you need to gene, breed, and preferably boon the nest so you can sell them immediately and-hopefully-make back what you spent + some)
Also the market likes to change so popularity isn't always the same

-The market is very saturated with dragons. Just putting them on the AH isn't enough. I suggest using the AH and posting them in threads posted in the Find a Dragon forum. Selling dragons is work if you really don't want them to be fodder
(I do want to mention though that even if you sell a dragon for 100kt someone may still exalt it. There are a number of reasons why but the point is, no dragon is safe from being exalted unless you keep it in your lair)

-Dragons with basic are usually seen as fodder unless it's a decent colored, unbred gen 1 dragon
(Gen 1s are dragons with "none" in their parent box and hatch out of unhatched eggs as triple basic. Your progens, your 1st 2 dragons you ever had, can't be traded or sold but are gen 1)

-Your Flight specific auction house isn't where you should post sales. It's limiting who can see and buy the dragons and really I've only ever heard of it being used to sell fodder to your flight for dominance pushes/battles

Basically:

Getting a dragon to sell usually takes a lot of work and more than likely it'll be exalted by you or the buyer at some point. Selling non-fodder dragons isn't the best way to go about making treasure/gems
If you want to make money I suggest looking into getting a coli team for grinding items to sell from the coliseum and/or learning how to play Glimmer and Gloom in the fairgrounds
I think your first response covered a lot of it but I want to add a few things:

-Dragons without popular color combos or new genes are typically easiest to sell, especially right after the new stuff comes out.
(it's jus expensive because you need to gene, breed, and preferably boon the nest so you can sell them immediately and-hopefully-make back what you spent + some)
Also the market likes to change so popularity isn't always the same

-The market is very saturated with dragons. Just putting them on the AH isn't enough. I suggest using the AH and posting them in threads posted in the Find a Dragon forum. Selling dragons is work if you really don't want them to be fodder
(I do want to mention though that even if you sell a dragon for 100kt someone may still exalt it. There are a number of reasons why but the point is, no dragon is safe from being exalted unless you keep it in your lair)

-Dragons with basic are usually seen as fodder unless it's a decent colored, unbred gen 1 dragon
(Gen 1s are dragons with "none" in their parent box and hatch out of unhatched eggs as triple basic. Your progens, your 1st 2 dragons you ever had, can't be traded or sold but are gen 1)

-Your Flight specific auction house isn't where you should post sales. It's limiting who can see and buy the dragons and really I've only ever heard of it being used to sell fodder to your flight for dominance pushes/battles

Basically:

Getting a dragon to sell usually takes a lot of work and more than likely it'll be exalted by you or the buyer at some point. Selling non-fodder dragons isn't the best way to go about making treasure/gems
If you want to make money I suggest looking into getting a coli team for grinding items to sell from the coliseum and/or learning how to play Glimmer and Gloom in the fairgrounds
3vHpx6Q.gifto5PExK.gif9pBokCW.gifYqq67Ss.gifqeem2ik.gifGfe13j0.gifom2qNyp.gifjXUW0Lv.gifn6WE0MB.gifTgabe8i.gifScGZkh8.gif