Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | New gay TV show just dropped
1 2
Has anybody else here heard about the new show "Our Flag Means Death?" I keep seeing references and recommendations for it on tumblr, thought I'd check if anybody here on FR has seen it. Apparently, its biggest feature is "canonical gay pirates," which does seem quite tempting.
Has anybody else here heard about the new show "Our Flag Means Death?" I keep seeing references and recommendations for it on tumblr, thought I'd check if anybody here on FR has seen it. Apparently, its biggest feature is "canonical gay pirates," which does seem quite tempting.
ca4nyRv.pngJNAfoEf.png
bYt72YT.pngtqGkHih.png
YES OH MY GOD (was just thinking of making a thread)

I've been brainrotting on it for the past 48 hours and it is so much more imo. Obviously love gay pirated as much as any other but it is just a well written parody comedy in general. Acting is funny, not too gritty but has emotional highs and lows etc.

I'm a big fan of what we do in the shadows, and waititi's influence is very much evident in ofmd too. I've heard a lot of GO fans like it as well :0

It's only 10 episodes too and gahh it's just so well made, and kinda weird but not overtly niche, and I'd serious recommend it. Idk if that's just my experience but often times queer rep on TV either feels too forced or too substituted (literally just a cishet story but with a "genderswapped" character) and imo this avoids it really well. Makes me so happy to not be queerbaited for once but also not be advertised as *the* gay show
YES OH MY GOD (was just thinking of making a thread)

I've been brainrotting on it for the past 48 hours and it is so much more imo. Obviously love gay pirated as much as any other but it is just a well written parody comedy in general. Acting is funny, not too gritty but has emotional highs and lows etc.

I'm a big fan of what we do in the shadows, and waititi's influence is very much evident in ofmd too. I've heard a lot of GO fans like it as well :0

It's only 10 episodes too and gahh it's just so well made, and kinda weird but not overtly niche, and I'd serious recommend it. Idk if that's just my experience but often times queer rep on TV either feels too forced or too substituted (literally just a cishet story but with a "genderswapped" character) and imo this avoids it really well. Makes me so happy to not be queerbaited for once but also not be advertised as *the* gay show
back from hiatus #5 (;-_-)/
sketch shop here!
at 'canonical gay pirates' I *zoomed*
at 'canonical gay pirates' I *zoomed*
0nY9TgK.png
6kR982D.png
vjHxXR9.png
WKtl2lb.png
fkWjutW.png
I was interested until I saw it's only on HBOmax. Aw.
I was interested until I saw it's only on HBOmax. Aw.
it's an incredible show, clearly made with a lot of love. it's explicitly a rom-com and it's just a lot of fun, i definitely recommend it :]

the most bad*** character is nonbinary played by a nonbinary poc actor. there are multiple canon gay relationships. supportive great friend relationships abound too! the costume design is really well done and the cast and crew are all lovely people. plus, there are quite a few fun cameos if you've followed the showrunners' other works haha. anyway, it's a good show
it's an incredible show, clearly made with a lot of love. it's explicitly a rom-com and it's just a lot of fun, i definitely recommend it :]

the most bad*** character is nonbinary played by a nonbinary poc actor. there are multiple canon gay relationships. supportive great friend relationships abound too! the costume design is really well done and the cast and crew are all lovely people. plus, there are quite a few fun cameos if you've followed the showrunners' other works haha. anyway, it's a good show
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sailor
she/he
milkchai-cacat.png
ahh yes!! i am totally shifting into obsession mode with Our Flag Means Death, I think. it's such a fun show, with so much heart and compassion put into it (not to mention it is absolutely hilarious). i need that second season like. yesterday. lmao

(i also may or may not have bought a hatchling to make into a fandragon of a certain inept pirate...and may or may not be looking for a dragon to make into his boyfriend hjdsjhdf)
ahh yes!! i am totally shifting into obsession mode with Our Flag Means Death, I think. it's such a fun show, with so much heart and compassion put into it (not to mention it is absolutely hilarious). i need that second season like. yesterday. lmao

(i also may or may not have bought a hatchling to make into a fandragon of a certain inept pirate...and may or may not be looking for a dragon to make into his boyfriend hjdsjhdf)
WRW2rGw.png
9YmzAZz.png
hzM3Sr2.png
ninbinarycatcher.png scroll.png
I'm a HUGE fan of What We Do In the Shadows and a HUGE pirate lover. When I heard this was coming out I just about did a back flip (emotionally). I'm also a HUGE gay, so learning about this twist is even better.

I don't have the streaming service it's airing on, but I will watch this show so help me.
I'm a HUGE fan of What We Do In the Shadows and a HUGE pirate lover. When I heard this was coming out I just about did a back flip (emotionally). I'm also a HUGE gay, so learning about this twist is even better.

I don't have the streaming service it's airing on, but I will watch this show so help me.
If people like gay pirate shows, you should also check out Black Sails. It acted as a prequel to Treasure Island, the main character is gay and it has Anne Bonny who ends up in a poly relationship with Jack Rackham and another female character.
If people like gay pirate shows, you should also check out Black Sails. It acted as a prequel to Treasure Island, the main character is gay and it has Anne Bonny who ends up in a poly relationship with Jack Rackham and another female character.
[quote name="BladeDancer" date="2022-03-26 16:09:18" ] If people like gay pirate shows, you should also check out Black Sails. It acted as a prequel to Treasure Island, the main character is gay and it has Anne Bonny who ends up in a poly relationship with Jack Rackham and another female character. [/quote] I was JUST thinking the same thing. The gay elements are sprinkled in here and there since the forefront is mainly pirate action and drama (like the show Vikings but, well, pirates), but the gay bits add nice seasoning to the show. I remember being legitimately blown aback about Flint's whole backstory.
BladeDancer wrote on 2022-03-26 16:09:18:

I was JUST thinking the same thing. The gay elements are sprinkled in here and there since the forefront is mainly pirate action and drama (like the show Vikings but, well, pirates), but the gay bits add nice seasoning to the show. I remember being legitimately blown aback about Flint's whole backstory.
I just binged all of Our Flag Means Death today! It was everything people have been hyping it up to be and more, I was super caught off guard by the nonbinary character in the best way! I always love to see more rep!

The show reminded me a lot of Good Omens overall, I think it hit quite a few of the same emotional beats and they both portray queer relationships very casually and naturally, I highly recommend you read/watch it as well!

Something Our Flag Means Death does exceptionally well though is how it represents homophobia, often shows with openly gay characters fall into the trap of either making the entire plot centre around fighting it or just. erasing homophobia flat out but this show does it naturally and in a way still respectful to queer people.

They never use the word gay or anything even reminiscent of a slur, but you see the main character fighting stereotypes throughout the entire show. I also love that this show does the exact opposite of the 'bury your gays' trope and kills off or otherwise removes the most homophobic characters, I find that so hilarious
I just binged all of Our Flag Means Death today! It was everything people have been hyping it up to be and more, I was super caught off guard by the nonbinary character in the best way! I always love to see more rep!

The show reminded me a lot of Good Omens overall, I think it hit quite a few of the same emotional beats and they both portray queer relationships very casually and naturally, I highly recommend you read/watch it as well!

Something Our Flag Means Death does exceptionally well though is how it represents homophobia, often shows with openly gay characters fall into the trap of either making the entire plot centre around fighting it or just. erasing homophobia flat out but this show does it naturally and in a way still respectful to queer people.

They never use the word gay or anything even reminiscent of a slur, but you see the main character fighting stereotypes throughout the entire show. I also love that this show does the exact opposite of the 'bury your gays' trope and kills off or otherwise removes the most homophobic characters, I find that so hilarious
///////////tumblr_p5wzkf4NYZ1vamgqko1_100.png
DQR0xuP.png
FObX7rS.png
HdmxfuE.png
5hF3FGk.png
Pgv53XB.png
R5gBjNt.png ////////ebwdsO1.png
1 2