Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | weird local words
1 2 3 4
If you fall and hurt yourself, we say "you biffed it."
If you fall and hurt yourself, we say "you biffed it."
3tufjzM.jpg Honeybee
I’m British (so this thread is interesting to read through haha) and in the area where “innit” is said regularly, unironically.

“Shank” (stab with knife/sharp object) and “yer” (you) is sometimes used

I will say that younger people say “bruh” and “bro” quite a bit, but I’ve never heard of “bruv”, so that one may be made up? Or if it is used it’s not much

Can’t think of any others on the top of my head, so feel free to ping me if you wonder if we say it and I can confirm/deny
I’m British (so this thread is interesting to read through haha) and in the area where “innit” is said regularly, unironically.

“Shank” (stab with knife/sharp object) and “yer” (you) is sometimes used

I will say that younger people say “bruh” and “bro” quite a bit, but I’ve never heard of “bruv”, so that one may be made up? Or if it is used it’s not much

Can’t think of any others on the top of my head, so feel free to ping me if you wonder if we say it and I can confirm/deny
- they/them
- +8 FR time
- Feel free to talk/ping!
- Old UN: LemonySnaket

kBjtmwi.png kd8tKB5.png
In my area of England a bread roll is called a cob and it causes A LOT of fighting between different regions on what they call it ahahaha. We have a lot of regional slang here.
In my area of England a bread roll is called a cob and it causes A LOT of fighting between different regions on what they call it ahahaha. We have a lot of regional slang here.
"Djeet" was a thing my grandfather would say due to being raised in Baltimore, it meant "Did you eat" but just mashed all together.

"Ope" a sound you will hear often in the Midwest, probably means they were trying to "Scooch on by ya"

Wisconsinites talk funny, the further north the funnier they talk. But it's a wholesome and earnest kind of funny talk.
"Djeet" was a thing my grandfather would say due to being raised in Baltimore, it meant "Did you eat" but just mashed all together.

"Ope" a sound you will hear often in the Midwest, probably means they were trying to "Scooch on by ya"

Wisconsinites talk funny, the further north the funnier they talk. But it's a wholesome and earnest kind of funny talk.
i use y'all instead of you all
Timmy's
if i mess something up, or i know something bad is gonna happen to me, i say "welp. im boned." i have no idea how this started
S H A M K
ive picked up slang from video games and media as well so that's messed my vocabulary up real bad. like for example i use the insults from Warrior Cats sometimes, like calling my brother or friends mousebrains instead of idiots, or saying fox dung instead of the f-word
i use y'all instead of you all
Timmy's
if i mess something up, or i know something bad is gonna happen to me, i say "welp. im boned." i have no idea how this started
S H A M K
ive picked up slang from video games and media as well so that's messed my vocabulary up real bad. like for example i use the insults from Warrior Cats sometimes, like calling my brother or friends mousebrains instead of idiots, or saying fox dung instead of the f-word
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
y'ins. i've never heard anyone but my mom and aunt say y'ins. even they don't say it much anymore but growing up me and my cousins were always y'ins.

it's like y'all for pennsylvanians.
y'ins. i've never heard anyone but my mom and aunt say y'ins. even they don't say it much anymore but growing up me and my cousins were always y'ins.

qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
[quote name="Naja" date="2022-03-23 00:55:00" ] In my area of England a bread roll is called a cob and it causes A LOT of fighting between different regions on what they call it ahahaha. We have a lot of regional slang here. [/quote] As someone who lives in the midlands there is a lot of conflict over this LOL. Cob, barm, bap...Personally I am boring and just call it a roll
Naja wrote on 2022-03-23 00:55:00:

As someone who lives in the midlands there is a lot of conflict over this LOL. Cob, barm, bap...Personally I am boring and just call it a roll
qesQFkT.gif
[quote name="skinklegs" date="2022-03-23 11:35:11" ] y'ins. i've never heard anyone but my mom and aunt say y'ins. even they don't say it much anymore but growing up me and my cousins were always y'ins. it's like y'all for pennsylvanians. [/quote] ppl say yinz where i live! ppl in the philidelphia area usually say youse though. also hoagie and crick.
skinklegs wrote on 2022-03-23 11:35:11:

ppl say yinz where i live! ppl in the philidelphia area usually say youse though. also hoagie and crick.
wqnTQE2.png
addams » she / her » avatar dragon
“i think i might have fallen in love...”
”...what am i to do?”

[quote name="KillianKillz" date="2022-03-23 16:52:50" ] Social - a gathering, usually a fundraiser is involved for something like a wedding. We called those Stag and Does in my home town. [/quote] Back when I lived in rural Southwestern Ontario I saw this a lot. Sometimes “Buck and Doe”.
KillianKillz wrote on 2022-03-23 16:52:50:
Social - a gathering, usually a fundraiser is involved for something like a wedding. We called those Stag and Does in my home town.

Back when I lived in rural Southwestern Ontario I saw this a lot. Sometimes “Buck and Doe”.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
“bagged up” meaning when you laugh super hard. never heard of it until i moved to delaware, and now i use it more often than i should LOL.

and water ice. i got roasted for calling it italian ice instead.
“bagged up” meaning when you laugh super hard. never heard of it until i moved to delaware, and now i use it more often than i should LOL.

and water ice. i got roasted for calling it italian ice instead.
y6Tz96p.png
5hF3FGk.png
1 2 3 4