Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Really blanking on lore rn
1 2
I could use some tips, I finally finished making bios for all of my dragons but the lore section is empty for most of them. I managed to fully write lore for one of them and I'm still in shock, no idea where the motivation for that came from :p I still have about 30 dragons to go and I'm staring at them blankly. How do you get motivated to write? If you have any lore you want to share or just want to share your inspiration please lmk. I'll take anything right now ;-;
I could use some tips, I finally finished making bios for all of my dragons but the lore section is empty for most of them. I managed to fully write lore for one of them and I'm still in shock, no idea where the motivation for that came from :p I still have about 30 dragons to go and I'm staring at them blankly. How do you get motivated to write? If you have any lore you want to share or just want to share your inspiration please lmk. I'll take anything right now ;-;
She/Her
Adult
Untitled18_20230718164049.png
I've really struggled with this over the years so I feel you! I found making quotas and setting targets for myself just demotivated me. Trying to make myself write also just ended up with some terrible word garbles that didn't convey anything I was trying to get across XD

I have my bios set up so that they have a little side bar thats an image of their namesake or aesthetic. I'm quite a visual person so having imagery really inspires me to write! Maybe you're the same? I try and come up with a general idea or aesthetic for a dragon, I then Google 3 images and see what words spring to mind. Then I just write and see where it takes me or set aside 3 phrases and see if I can connect the dots between them... and if I'm lucky it ends up shaping into the type of story or description I want!

For Example: Eclipse's appearance is obviously stars and skeletons. There's a David Bowie music video showing a skeleton in a spacesuit on the moon and I also wanted a dragon themed after the song Lazarus by him.
So from that I created an aim to write my story about a dragon skeleton in the stars and the theme of death/rebirth. I crafted the first sentence to convey that visual and took it from there!
I've really struggled with this over the years so I feel you! I found making quotas and setting targets for myself just demotivated me. Trying to make myself write also just ended up with some terrible word garbles that didn't convey anything I was trying to get across XD

I have my bios set up so that they have a little side bar thats an image of their namesake or aesthetic. I'm quite a visual person so having imagery really inspires me to write! Maybe you're the same? I try and come up with a general idea or aesthetic for a dragon, I then Google 3 images and see what words spring to mind. Then I just write and see where it takes me or set aside 3 phrases and see if I can connect the dots between them... and if I'm lucky it ends up shaping into the type of story or description I want!

For Example: Eclipse's appearance is obviously stars and skeletons. There's a David Bowie music video showing a skeleton in a spacesuit on the moon and I also wanted a dragon themed after the song Lazarus by him.
So from that I created an aim to write my story about a dragon skeleton in the stars and the theme of death/rebirth. I crafted the first sentence to convey that visual and took it from there!
Heart.gif
When I create lore for a dragon, I usually start with one thing. Like for my lair each dragon gets placed in a tab based of their job, which I choose off of mostly looks, but sometimes lore. Once I know their main job, I give them a basic personality, like kind or thoughtful, just something regular. And from there I expand. How exactly are they kind or thoughtful, how do they interact with the other dragons in my lair, how do they act with their mate. I don't worry too much, I just write whatever comes to mind, and expand or clarify it later.

For some of my dragons I create a small sentence or two about their surroundings or sounds/smells, something to just add perspective to the individual. It helps me understand where I want to go more. But mostly, once I just start writing something, I end up with some idea that just works decently

I'd show an example, but I haven't actually written down most of my dragons lore, just brief snippets

-

I really love your lair aesthetic btw, it's gorgeous!
When I create lore for a dragon, I usually start with one thing. Like for my lair each dragon gets placed in a tab based of their job, which I choose off of mostly looks, but sometimes lore. Once I know their main job, I give them a basic personality, like kind or thoughtful, just something regular. And from there I expand. How exactly are they kind or thoughtful, how do they interact with the other dragons in my lair, how do they act with their mate. I don't worry too much, I just write whatever comes to mind, and expand or clarify it later.

For some of my dragons I create a small sentence or two about their surroundings or sounds/smells, something to just add perspective to the individual. It helps me understand where I want to go more. But mostly, once I just start writing something, I end up with some idea that just works decently

I'd show an example, but I haven't actually written down most of my dragons lore, just brief snippets

-

I really love your lair aesthetic btw, it's gorgeous!
They/Them ~ Wishlist ~ Scatter Project er7d6Yk.png
Thank you both!
Thank you both!
She/Her
Adult
A small bump since I posted this kind of late last night
A small bump since I posted this kind of late last night
She/Her
Adult
My lore is really simple tbh, but generally I go with the classic "adjective noun" as a starting point (disaster scientist, naive richboy, book goblin, travelling doctor, etc)
My lore is really simple tbh, but generally I go with the classic "adjective noun" as a starting point (disaster scientist, naive richboy, book goblin, travelling doctor, etc)
nTa2yPT.png
I say let it come to you man. As you write the relationships between your dragons, and how their personalities work off of one another, you can start to develop an overall story
I say let it come to you man. As you write the relationships between your dragons, and how their personalities work off of one another, you can start to develop an overall story
Oh man do I know how that feels. I'm lucky if I have the effort to write 1 bio a year, not for a lack of inspiration so much as a lack of time and energy ;3; as for actual tips, I have quite a vivid imagination so idk if this is something that everyone can do (or whether it's typical or atypical...) but rather than get into that blank stare mode I instead try to picture the dragon in my mind, at first just a straight copy of FR art then I start to think of personality traits and have my imagined image manifest those traits until I find ones that somehow suit them. Once I have an idea of what they're like and how they'd behave I try to imagine what could have happened in their past that would have encouraged or discouraged behaviours (for example if I think a dragon may be callous, why is that? Is it just "who they are" or did something happen?) regardless of whether I intend to write background or not and whatever seems to work will be my starting point. I don't have any good examples atm, I'm currently trying to finish off [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/64813990]Malach's[/url] bio (not got it in there though as I need to write more and edit a little), she would be a great example of what I mean but she ain't there yet ;3; so instead here is Apocryphe, his bio won't really be finished until I find dergs to fill missing characters so I can extend it with their personalities in mind but the same process was used (': [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/58956508][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/589566/58956508_350.png[/img][/url] Edit: Forgot to mention and feel like I should, I use a lot of cannon lore so if you don't use cannon stuff then that would potentially nullify my tip/s lol
Oh man do I know how that feels. I'm lucky if I have the effort to write 1 bio a year, not for a lack of inspiration so much as a lack of time and energy ;3;
as for actual tips, I have quite a vivid imagination so idk if this is something that everyone can do (or whether it's typical or atypical...) but rather than get into that blank stare mode I instead try to picture the dragon in my mind, at first just a straight copy of FR art then I start to think of personality traits and have my imagined image manifest those traits until I find ones that somehow suit them. Once I have an idea of what they're like and how they'd behave I try to imagine what could have happened in their past that would have encouraged or discouraged behaviours (for example if I think a dragon may be callous, why is that? Is it just "who they are" or did something happen?) regardless of whether I intend to write background or not and whatever seems to work will be my starting point.

I don't have any good examples atm, I'm currently trying to finish off Malach's bio (not got it in there though as I need to write more and edit a little), she would be a great example of what I mean but she ain't there yet ;3; so instead here is Apocryphe, his bio won't really be finished until I find dergs to fill missing characters so I can extend it with their personalities in mind but the same process was used (':
58956508_350.png

Edit: Forgot to mention and feel like I should, I use a lot of cannon lore so if you don't use cannon stuff then that would potentially nullify my tip/s lol
You don't need to have your lore be super neat or ultra detailed or interlinked, or even canon-compliant, either. Your lore could be just a bunch of bulletpoint thoughts scattered between dragons and you'll be doing just fine :) Take things at your own pace.
You don't need to have your lore be super neat or ultra detailed or interlinked, or even canon-compliant, either. Your lore could be just a bunch of bulletpoint thoughts scattered between dragons and you'll be doing just fine :) Take things at your own pace.
Thank you all for the advice!

@UncleSisu
I'm trying but I've been here for years and most of them I have nothing ;-; I need to force myself to at least start writing at some point haha

@Tsukistar
What I do have written pretty much is bullet points, I'm not a big fan of super long/over detailed lore. I find that I never end up reading it if its long. I'm struggling to even write my short and simple lore :p I'll get there eventually
Thank you all for the advice!

@UncleSisu
I'm trying but I've been here for years and most of them I have nothing ;-; I need to force myself to at least start writing at some point haha

@Tsukistar
What I do have written pretty much is bullet points, I'm not a big fan of super long/over detailed lore. I find that I never end up reading it if its long. I'm struggling to even write my short and simple lore :p I'll get there eventually
She/Her
Adult
1 2