Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change to Mahjong shuffle penalty
1 2
I would like a change to this just because score doesn't matter very much-- please correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a set treasure payout for a completed board regardless of score. So with that being said a change to how score works comes solely because the game is enjoyable (which I agree with! It's the only fairegrounds game I like haha) and not because the slightly adjusted score would change the payout.

It would just be a small change that would make the same a little more satisfying :P
I would like a change to this just because score doesn't matter very much-- please correct me if I am wrong but I think there is a set treasure payout for a completed board regardless of score. So with that being said a change to how score works comes solely because the game is enjoyable (which I agree with! It's the only fairegrounds game I like haha) and not because the slightly adjusted score would change the payout.

It would just be a small change that would make the same a little more satisfying :P
100% Support!

Me and a friend love to compete scores and the thing that holds it back is the RNG of the shuffles. By this point we are both incredibly quick at it, but I can get e.g. a game with 1 shuffle only and they would get a game where they need to shuffle 3 times.
The shuffle RNG is also meaning we can't get higher than our current scores (mine, 4587 on butterfly) because each time I have had to shuffle atleast once, losing 100 points.
The time factor isn't an issue, it pushes you to improve, but the shuffle is entirely RNG which disrupts this skill balance while competing with another person.
100% Support!

Me and a friend love to compete scores and the thing that holds it back is the RNG of the shuffles. By this point we are both incredibly quick at it, but I can get e.g. a game with 1 shuffle only and they would get a game where they need to shuffle 3 times.
The shuffle RNG is also meaning we can't get higher than our current scores (mine, 4587 on butterfly) because each time I have had to shuffle atleast once, losing 100 points.
The time factor isn't an issue, it pushes you to improve, but the shuffle is entirely RNG which disrupts this skill balance while competing with another person.
?fyhd6=platform.png?fh6ZM=platform.png?fJcl3=platform.png
I hate to be the opposition here but I would be really disappointed if this change was implemented. I like to play the game in a way where I make matches to strategically avoid shuffling. It’s very rewarding to me to get a new high score because I was able to use these strategies, to the point where I’ll sometimes play past the fairgrounds cap just to see if I can get a new high score. I would be disappointed to lose this reward, and to even be punished for for my personal playstyle, if the way to get a high score is to just go as quickly as possible without thinking strategically. I can say that I probably wouldn’t play the game as often anymore.

I feel like it’s fine as is, seeing as there’s no treasure penalty for shuffling so the only penalty is the arbitrary score. (In fact, there’s more or less a treasure reward for playing the game making matches as quickly as possible because it means you can get treasure more quickly.)

Edit:
Since part of the strategy of minimizing shuffling involves shuffling when you do actually have some matches, just so that you’re less likely to get stuck needing to shuffle many times later, having the penalty only count if you shuffle when you don’t need to to continue would make that sort of strategy pointless, which would be kinda sad to me.)
I hate to be the opposition here but I would be really disappointed if this change was implemented. I like to play the game in a way where I make matches to strategically avoid shuffling. It’s very rewarding to me to get a new high score because I was able to use these strategies, to the point where I’ll sometimes play past the fairgrounds cap just to see if I can get a new high score. I would be disappointed to lose this reward, and to even be punished for for my personal playstyle, if the way to get a high score is to just go as quickly as possible without thinking strategically. I can say that I probably wouldn’t play the game as often anymore.

I feel like it’s fine as is, seeing as there’s no treasure penalty for shuffling so the only penalty is the arbitrary score. (In fact, there’s more or less a treasure reward for playing the game making matches as quickly as possible because it means you can get treasure more quickly.)

Edit:
Since part of the strategy of minimizing shuffling involves shuffling when you do actually have some matches, just so that you’re less likely to get stuck needing to shuffle many times later, having the penalty only count if you shuffle when you don’t need to to continue would make that sort of strategy pointless, which would be kinda sad to me.)
vlHpjp8.png .
he/him

FR+3:00
. .
checked on swipp, baldwin, or arlo lately?
_ wizardry2.gif
ultimately I am rather neutral towards this suggestion, because it doesn't ultimately matter (ie no treasure penalty for lower scores), but I sort of agree with Wizardry.

I have played many many different mahjong varieties, and have made my own tilesets in the past. I feel this comes down to a matter of preference because I have seen it where there is a penalty for shuffling and where there isn't a penalty.

I haven't paid enough attention to the penalties to know whether some of those were applied only when you shuffled when you had matches, or whether they were also applied when you had to shuffle, but I feel that it just makes more sense to have it apply either all or nothing. IE, either there is no shuffle penalty or all shuffles get a penalty.
ultimately I am rather neutral towards this suggestion, because it doesn't ultimately matter (ie no treasure penalty for lower scores), but I sort of agree with Wizardry.

I have played many many different mahjong varieties, and have made my own tilesets in the past. I feel this comes down to a matter of preference because I have seen it where there is a penalty for shuffling and where there isn't a penalty.

I haven't paid enough attention to the penalties to know whether some of those were applied only when you shuffled when you had matches, or whether they were also applied when you had to shuffle, but I feel that it just makes more sense to have it apply either all or nothing. IE, either there is no shuffle penalty or all shuffles get a penalty.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Wizardry" date="2021-08-10 15:14:00" ] I hate to be the opposition here but I would be really disappointed if this change was implemented. I like to play the game in a way where I make matches to strategically avoid shuffling. It’s very rewarding to me to get a new high score because I was able to use these strategies, to the point where I’ll sometimes play past the fairgrounds cap just to see if I can get a new high score. I would be disappointed to lose this reward, and to even be punished for for my personal playstyle, if the way to get a high score is to just go as quickly as possible without thinking strategically. I can say that I probably wouldn’t play the game as often anymore. I feel like it’s fine as is, seeing as there’s no treasure penalty for shuffling so the only penalty is the arbitrary score. (In fact, there’s more or less a treasure reward for playing the game making matches as quickly as possible because it means you can get treasure more quickly.) Edit: Since part of the strategy of minimizing shuffling involves shuffling when you do actually have some matches, just so that you’re less likely to get stuck needing to shuffle many times later, having the penalty only count if you shuffle when you don’t need to to continue would make that sort of strategy pointless, which would be kinda sad to me.) [/quote] I play this way too, but I still have a gripe with the penalty. I do think there should be a penalty for having to shuffle and one for choosing to shuffle, but when it shuffles and makes it so there is no way to avoid or cause any required shuffles, I don't think you should be penalized. That has nothing to do with the skill of the player. It is an unavoidable penalty that is only rng. Rng can be good when it gives good things, but not when it just penalizes you for no reason.
Wizardry wrote on 2021-08-10 15:14:00:

Edit:

I play this way too, but I still have a gripe with the penalty. I do think there should be a penalty for having to shuffle and one for choosing to shuffle, but when it shuffles and makes it so there is no way to avoid or cause any required shuffles, I don't think you should be penalized. That has nothing to do with the skill of the player. It is an unavoidable penalty that is only rng. Rng can be good when it gives good things, but not when it just penalizes you for no reason.
I will put something here eventually.
I think I'm missing something... If it's added, what's the point of the score at all?

It doesn't count time, it only adds 50 when you match a pair and detracts 100 when you shuffle. If it doesn't detract in case you have no matches, you can just match everything randomly and shuffle whenever you run out of options making max points every time with minimum effort, as there will be no reason to shuffle strategically and lose points because of that or think various options over wasting the time.

I think I'm missing something... If it's added, what's the point of the score at all?

It doesn't count time, it only adds 50 when you match a pair and detracts 100 when you shuffle. If it doesn't detract in case you have no matches, you can just match everything randomly and shuffle whenever you run out of options making max points every time with minimum effort, as there will be no reason to shuffle strategically and lose points because of that or think various options over wasting the time.

[quote name="mithrel" date="2021-08-08 06:47:35" ] @Kavori @KitsuneXIII JSYK, if the last match is on top of each other, you can just click the top tile to complete the game. [/quote] Not if it's 2 stacks of 2 in which the top most tiles don't match. I've had this happen...3 times, I think?
mithrel wrote on 2021-08-08 06:47:35:
@Kavori @KitsuneXIII JSYK, if the last match is on top of each other, you can just click the top tile to complete the game.

Not if it's 2 stacks of 2 in which the top most tiles don't match. I've had this happen...3 times, I think?
[quote name="mithrel" date="2021-08-08 06:47:35" ] @/Kavori @/KitsuneXIII JSYK, if the last match is on top of each other, you can just click the top tile to complete the game. [/quote] Thank you, I hadn't been aware of this as this is an illegal move in every other version of Mahjong I've played so I never thought to try it However, I still support there being no shuffle penalty in the following circumstances: -Last 3 pairs on the board -immediately after another shuffle that produces fewer than 3 valid moves, as that's not the player's fault and the player should not be punished for the shuffle's crappy algorithm -shuffles in the case of no valid moves remaining (because again: the RNG algorithm is crappy and the player shouldn't be punished for that)
mithrel wrote on 2021-08-08 06:47:35:
@/Kavori @/KitsuneXIII JSYK, if the last match is on top of each other, you can just click the top tile to complete the game.

Thank you, I hadn't been aware of this as this is an illegal move in every other version of Mahjong I've played so I never thought to try it

However, I still support there being no shuffle penalty in the following circumstances:
-Last 3 pairs on the board
-immediately after another shuffle that produces fewer than 3 valid moves, as that's not the player's fault and the player should not be punished for the shuffle's crappy algorithm
-shuffles in the case of no valid moves remaining (because again: the RNG algorithm is crappy and the player shouldn't be punished for that)
#UnnamedIsValid
My pronouns are xe/xim/xir/xirself.
Wishlist on the dragon
61671499.png Dragon Purchase Preference Poll
Closes 12:01 server time. Sept 1st.
1 2