Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | New Sphinx Familiars Look... Weird.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
The entire physical design of the new sphinxes is totally off and unappealing to me. The legs don’t make sense at all, and neither do the wings.
The entire physical design of the new sphinxes is totally off and unappealing to me. The legs don’t make sense at all, and neither do the wings.
VfGAPqc.png
I9hbwAP.png
I guess this happens because the sphinx mixture of cat/person/bird is more... melded together, instead of being distinct parts like commonly represented in media.

What I mean by this is that, for example, the "thumb" can be interpreted as either Avian or simian in nature (being opposed to the other fingers, but also maybe too high up to be completely simian), while the rest of the paw/hand is clearly feline (has retractile claws). So for example that stands out very easily.
Another thing is, by the way the creature is posing, it looks kinda odd. Almost like its crouching, like if the creature could be bipedal (also, why would a quadruped would need chest armour?)
I guess this happens because the sphinx mixture of cat/person/bird is more... melded together, instead of being distinct parts like commonly represented in media.

What I mean by this is that, for example, the "thumb" can be interpreted as either Avian or simian in nature (being opposed to the other fingers, but also maybe too high up to be completely simian), while the rest of the paw/hand is clearly feline (has retractile claws). So for example that stands out very easily.
Another thing is, by the way the creature is posing, it looks kinda odd. Almost like its crouching, like if the creature could be bipedal (also, why would a quadruped would need chest armour?)
Échale la culpa a los espíritus chocarreros
theultimatecatsig.gif
I also think they look uncanny, but I like that. Like others have said, I see their anatomy as more of a blend of quadruped/biped anatomy than distinct parts put together.
I also think they look uncanny, but I like that. Like others have said, I see their anatomy as more of a blend of quadruped/biped anatomy than distinct parts put together.
!! signature under construction !!
The bend of the front leg is strange, but it's the back legs that look really off to me. Why are they so.. short?
The bend of the front leg is strange, but it's the back legs that look really off to me. Why are they so.. short?
IMG-3747.png
x
fBOw4m5.png S E C T O N I A fBOw4m5.png
o or secti // she/they - FR +3 - ping friendly
shortened-top.png
“In one of the stars I shall be living.
In one of them I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars
were laughing, when you look
at the sky at night.”

shortened-bottom.png
They are a subspecie that make all the other Sphinx go "Mom I'm scared, come pick me up!" once they interact [emoji=wildclaw laughing size=1]
They are a subspecie that make all the other Sphinx go "Mom I'm scared, come pick me up!" once they interact
17.png37.png90.png

Wavecrest Saturnalia

y6tbxWr.pngIRzboi3.pngNC2ceIo.pngSDTXnpH.png
ze8wEB3.png

Code:
ze8wEB3.png

Mistral Jamboree

FdXgviZ.pngAeYnAM6.pngIRkrlkr.pngRCD2mOL.png
QBZFjBr.png

Code:
QBZFjBr.png

Trickmurk Circus

qqLBHcq.pngMdpDO8d.pngit6GpCF.png3e94Gpa.png
tzdYBHr.png

Code:
tzdYBHr.png

Crystalline Gala

nx63yDs.pngTpQIr0g.png3do1AjF.pngOTXJQ9a.png
fBZO2yk.png

Code:
fBZO2yk.png

Rockbreaker's Ceremony

XfOE65H.pngnLWLaef.pngTf27638.png4FDQFf5.png
22kVsPK.png

Code:
22kVsPK.png

Riot of Rot

APe9ksa.pngCPXPWom.pnghwpOz43.pngE27J5Sp.png
DVcXRyP.png

Code:
DVcXRyP.png

Starfall Celebration

by8xXGb.pnggKPKkO8.pngjr6wBiA.png4oO1RBo.png
TjcrwIq.png

Code:
TjcrwIq.png

Flameforger's Festival

RZwWAC0.pngK5ou5OR.pngwIsYlqw.png78U0Gge.png
fdN4PVq.png

Code:
fdN4PVq.png

Thundercrack Carnivale

4B2NHT5.png39TxZGF.pngm7MUqYd.pngYsjbxG8.png
DQLlbOg.png

Code:
DQLlbOg.png

Brightshine Jubilee

3Z9d4pU.pngLasirx9.pngAhWKxlz.pngA28Svy9.png
Az39OYD.png

Code:
Az39OYD.png

All the Festivals

You heard right. This image rotater randomly displays one of the exisiting signatures.
You'll see something new everytime you refresh. I'll try to keep this link up to date with new sets.

Lichtdrache.gif

Code:
Lichtdrache.gif

Others

0Eukkgx.pngcxbFZBI.pngD4jazTx.pngt2lHNjZ.pngZ1OhMta.pngHDlVg7g.png2HZAytX.pngJc6ZU5D.pngqAOaXBj.pngGek4MgE.pngeGd50yb.pngEmDXb3p.pngKptxMMR.pngM5Uxne4.pngIHku0SS.pngC373QQQ.pngiXiHpnr.pngsaTxNdL.pngQtezsCP.png

Commissions & Requests

Commissions - CLOSED
Since some of you asked for it: I'll draw a single familiar/creature/Pokémon/etc.
Please keep in mind that the festival familiars will most likely arrive for their festivals. Let me know whether you want your commissioned adoptable to be free to use for everyone or not.

Requests - CLOSED
You can always make free suggestions if you want me to draw specific familiars for everyone to use. If there's enough interest and i have some spare time, i might add them as well!

Special Thanks

You can thank these amazing people for sponsoring adoptables or donating money. Thanks to them I can do what I love!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Frenkle
thatjubi
Marceline
NanamiChiaki
Kurayami
ViewtifulJen
Kattata
adorableAxolotl
CatkinStarchild
Texere
oooooooooooo Shakshun
SilverLanayru
ErwilMinsa
Druddigon8
Yara
Lyra531
EclipseStar
ClearLakes44
Reckless
OtterQueen

Pinglist

-0rangedragon -Kaitorubel -Nulume -Juri01 -Chiliphantump122 -Dreamcoyote -PoisonedTea -TheEmptyCity -SimFeetUnder -CrystalBones -Zenium -Reckless -RedlaSunShowers -AeonsMusings -Celine -genmoi -ScarletWolfsong -snickers629 -Anarthyan -Atzien -miirshroom -pooses -Gibby -Maegelcarwen -Kapara -rooty -Stormdragon -Vanitas -ClearLakes44 -Kissie -Nympharia -Luca20 -Yara -OpalDreams -nemodave -CatsAndMaths -Kiryn -Kpribbit -Perrydotto -BobEvans -Splatoon -Aiden -Maddiebird -rantothedevil -bcrush -kriski -Dest -BianchaJo -Autopsy -CircusCuties -Wolvenrose -SoulLugia11 -Crisp -Tigenki -FoolishRay -icecreamdude26 -Gardenie -ShiroiYoukai -Fellefan -ThornOfStorm130 -WeyrLeader -lovesnivy -PhoebeBird -KCDragons -Marceline -Cyrsei -Poppystar -Hyperbole -Xotis -ToothyApocalypse -absolmon -NicoleEirin -heartcrusher1 -WickedHorror -SilverLanayru -OpalSplash514 -StellarWing -Maximum4 -Syncogon -Dreamcoyote -Mriikel -GhostFromTheMoon -GrumpyCatlover -LucarioLand -Parda -Vistron -SoullessRogue -Ethras -Valthan -Tacodoodle -WolfSong -Decarnard -IcyNinetales -Zephyr23 -Minimum -Meda -lackingsanity -Suttungr -Sevenink -xXDarkeXx -Yanisha -Effervessa -Kibble -Yolindanne -Doggo -IamPainIamGod -ClawOfLife -koolkabe -jazzyjaz -Minxwolfie -TheTigersDen -Niya -Trippfaerie -somnomania -Airys -TheMathematician -MawkishMuse -ElecSquirrel10 -Alcina -AlexBleurose -Pasteluma -vulstal -joy1joy1 -MLSmith995 -Ookamiotoko -Animequeen -PositiveDragon -VodkaGhosts -sarcastickitten -freshpeachez -Anacapri -timetot -KyaruTheWriter -Evolution2 -Aquastargirl123 -kipinae -bellzan -sunsetfire -NanamiChiaki -Kattata -Broderick -DiamondNoodles -Arrakis -Exaltier -LittleRogue -Quinnigan -ShouLyon -Nydra -Vulqostrun -raiikyuu -Aquacoral -LilCipherz -Harbinger -NerdyBirdieLove -Pieeee -Thestoneofdoom -Lundlaeva -Lolschen -Cryptozoolo -kriskrossness -Starrlight -SimplePianist -rene92 -zzzhorses -CosmicSummer -Carnimirie -TalonOcharria -Myrrien -Forestglade -Icefire55 -Starmax -LeMuffinMaster -RoseyVaporeon -MissFortune17 -Ririterasu -Elysianibata -Beezadrella -Ellapinky -Rosie -Ellapinky -Jetfeather -Onikuma -WillowtheWisp -Geist

Last edited on Jun 21, 2017 11:17:05 by Lichtdrache
uk9aQ3a.pngxm3SUTd.pngqyXz5ux.png
[img]https://570189-1841390-raikfcquaxqncofqfm.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/munchkin-cat-picture.jpg[/img] I'm betting they are the munchkin cat of the sphinx world. Still think they look a lil funky tho.
munchkin-cat-picture.jpg

I'm betting they are the munchkin cat of the sphinx world.

Still think they look a lil funky tho.
the forelegs are fine (i personally think a human shoulder on a quadruped like this is intensely weird, but it's not broken as it is).

i like them overall. the anatomy points i noticed:

i zoomed in and did a quick thing to show what i'm seeing in these sphinxes: https://prnt.sc/1jlr1y7
the near hindleg is pretty much fine, assuming the back is normal height*, while the far hindleg (cyan) is off because the position of the knee area is too far back while the corresponding foot is too far forward. i think part of the off look as well is that the front half is positioned with movement, while the back half is quite static; even pulling the far hindleg forward (green) would improve that.

i think the front half of the body might also be leaning a bit away from the viewer, because the far foreleg and far wing both seem to connect lower on the body than the corresponding near ones.

*the highest point of the hip should be even with that of the shoulder...if the back is lower than that, then the near hindleg becomes a problem because it shortens the thigh too much.

the battlerams have a similar issue with foot agreement - the far hindleg shouldn't be lifted that high without a prop underneath to justify it. the far hindleg should be on the same ground as the other two feet on the ground (OR the far hindleg needs to be raised to match the raised hindleg).
the forelegs are fine (i personally think a human shoulder on a quadruped like this is intensely weird, but it's not broken as it is).

i like them overall. the anatomy points i noticed:

i zoomed in and did a quick thing to show what i'm seeing in these sphinxes: https://prnt.sc/1jlr1y7
the near hindleg is pretty much fine, assuming the back is normal height*, while the far hindleg (cyan) is off because the position of the knee area is too far back while the corresponding foot is too far forward. i think part of the off look as well is that the front half is positioned with movement, while the back half is quite static; even pulling the far hindleg forward (green) would improve that.

i think the front half of the body might also be leaning a bit away from the viewer, because the far foreleg and far wing both seem to connect lower on the body than the corresponding near ones.

*the highest point of the hip should be even with that of the shoulder...if the back is lower than that, then the near hindleg becomes a problem because it shortens the thigh too much.

the battlerams have a similar issue with foot agreement - the far hindleg shouldn't be lifted that high without a prop underneath to justify it. the far hindleg should be on the same ground as the other two feet on the ground (OR the far hindleg needs to be raised to match the raised hindleg).
eyQdv.gif
i think the front legs are mimicing human hand/arm anatomy, and that they are fine! the thing that bothers me here is more the wings, they look off
i think the front legs are mimicing human hand/arm anatomy, and that they are fine! the thing that bothers me here is more the wings, they look off

bannerart_2021.png
Let's try to remember someone worked really hard on these and we don't even pay for the content we receive here.

I'm not saying you have to like every scrap of art released by default just because they worked hard, but I gotta say, if something I created inspired a 7-page thread on how bad it looked I'd probably never show my art to anyone again >_>

We all have fams and dragons that we dislike, like less, or outright can't stand; but we can still be nice C:
Let's try to remember someone worked really hard on these and we don't even pay for the content we receive here.

I'm not saying you have to like every scrap of art released by default just because they worked hard, but I gotta say, if something I created inspired a 7-page thread on how bad it looked I'd probably never show my art to anyone again >_>

We all have fams and dragons that we dislike, like less, or outright can't stand; but we can still be nice C:
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
@GrimoireBlack

In the past, artistic criticism has actually led to positive change on this site: see glowtail.

No one is insulting the artist. They're clearly talented. However, I think that the anatomy of this piece could be really improved with a few simple changes. While the updates themselves are free, this site is still a business that people pay money into, and artists are paid for their hard work. I would honestly love a quick art update to shift a couple of the limbs around and make it appear more natural. We've had art updates of apparel before. Genes with mistakes get fixed. And things only get fixed when someone points out that there might be an issue.
@GrimoireBlack

In the past, artistic criticism has actually led to positive change on this site: see glowtail.

No one is insulting the artist. They're clearly talented. However, I think that the anatomy of this piece could be really improved with a few simple changes. While the updates themselves are free, this site is still a business that people pay money into, and artists are paid for their hard work. I would honestly love a quick art update to shift a couple of the limbs around and make it appear more natural. We've had art updates of apparel before. Genes with mistakes get fixed. And things only get fixed when someone points out that there might be an issue.

G2 Sandsurges!
Wasp/Flair/Augment
300g/kt
88403293.png88403294.png88403295.png88403296.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11