Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What does “HQ Art” mean?
Like, it makes me nervous when people ask for “hq art” in their [LF] threads cuz, do I count? Is this a ‘nicer’ (not really) way of saying new artist to not bother? Do they want only fully rendered oil paintings??¿ it feels.. strange.
Like, it makes me nervous when people ask for “hq art” in their [LF] threads cuz, do I count? Is this a ‘nicer’ (not really) way of saying new artist to not bother? Do they want only fully rendered oil paintings??¿ it feels.. strange.
dove_cryptidove.pngfkWjutW.png5c15bb999532f9391109728396a638d13602f294.png
yep, it's pretty much a way of saying they're looking for more experienced artists. there's no objective definition for what classifies as 'high quality art'.
yep, it's pretty much a way of saying they're looking for more experienced artists. there's no objective definition for what classifies as 'high quality art'.
SXqaLwu.png

she/her
FR + 8/9
x
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxart shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg1 sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprofile dragon

There's no answer here. Everyones definition of "high quality art" is going to be different.

But in general, don't be afraid to reach out and offer. "High quality art" means a skilled and experienced artist. Some of your work is quite nice though and "high quality" is often about hitting the right niche. There might be someone out there requesting hq art, and they happen to have a soft spot for graphite drawings that lets you get a job instead of a painter with better technical skills.

Generally spreaking though (and I'm not talking about the FR art market as I'm not active in it and have no idea) 'high quality art' refers to finished (and often rendered) pieces, as opposed to sketchy works.
There's no answer here. Everyones definition of "high quality art" is going to be different.

But in general, don't be afraid to reach out and offer. "High quality art" means a skilled and experienced artist. Some of your work is quite nice though and "high quality" is often about hitting the right niche. There might be someone out there requesting hq art, and they happen to have a soft spot for graphite drawings that lets you get a job instead of a painter with better technical skills.

Generally spreaking though (and I'm not talking about the FR art market as I'm not active in it and have no idea) 'high quality art' refers to finished (and often rendered) pieces, as opposed to sketchy works.
IMG-2023-08-05-124048.jpg
HQ generally means full rendered drawings. It's just about customer preference.
HQ generally means full rendered drawings. It's just about customer preference.
097fe9bb15c36a1f4509e52d9751380acc01514f.gif
i avoid people that ask for hq art because im scared theyll laugh me off and tell me that my art is worse than sonichu while they share it to their cringeart subreddits.
i avoid people that ask for hq art because im scared theyll laugh me off and tell me that my art is worse than sonichu while they share it to their cringeart subreddits.
It means they’re looking for well-rendered art by someone who has a good grasp of the fundamentals (I.e. knows what they are doing and can do it well). Whether they are looking for a painting or a black and white ink drawing depends on the specific order. Ask them if you aren’t sure if your art is what they’re looking for, whether it is in style or standards. Remember that in the commercial field, not all art is created equal. There’s nothing weird or wrong with customers preferring more skillful pieces, it’s just how art sales work.
It means they’re looking for well-rendered art by someone who has a good grasp of the fundamentals (I.e. knows what they are doing and can do it well). Whether they are looking for a painting or a black and white ink drawing depends on the specific order. Ask them if you aren’t sure if your art is what they’re looking for, whether it is in style or standards. Remember that in the commercial field, not all art is created equal. There’s nothing weird or wrong with customers preferring more skillful pieces, it’s just how art sales work.
Not sure why people don't just ask for what they want specifically if they're looking for fully rendered art. "High quality" as a term is super subjective. I understand if it's just in the subject line, but otherwise, it doesn't hurt to be clearer.
Not sure why people don't just ask for what they want specifically if they're looking for fully rendered art. "High quality" as a term is super subjective. I understand if it's just in the subject line, but otherwise, it doesn't hurt to be clearer.
i believe that you believe there is a heaven
where you belong.
he/him
It means High Quality Art, which can be different things to different people and may also depend on what they want.

For example, an artist may have a HQ Chibi style but the person LF art doesn't think of it as high quality (or maybe just doesn't want that style) due to looking for something with more details.

Imo high quality in general is just fully rendered with neat lines, base colors, highlights, and shadows.

However, while I do draw art and consider it good I personally never post on LF art threads because I never had someone interested in a commission, wouldn't know what to charge, and definitely avoid those asking for HQ because despite my art having what I just said my opinion was on the definition for it, I worry they'll think it's trash because it's usually not 'high photorealistic detail' XD

But if you think your work is HQ and have enough confidence to take them saying no should they not want it I'd say go for posting! You could find a long lasting customer and if not, others who post on the thread may be interested. Hopefully though, the person who made the LF thread would give more details on their expectations/what they want drawn than just saying HQ art to give you a better idea of if you could draw X thing(s) well.
It means High Quality Art, which can be different things to different people and may also depend on what they want.

For example, an artist may have a HQ Chibi style but the person LF art doesn't think of it as high quality (or maybe just doesn't want that style) due to looking for something with more details.

Imo high quality in general is just fully rendered with neat lines, base colors, highlights, and shadows.

However, while I do draw art and consider it good I personally never post on LF art threads because I never had someone interested in a commission, wouldn't know what to charge, and definitely avoid those asking for HQ because despite my art having what I just said my opinion was on the definition for it, I worry they'll think it's trash because it's usually not 'high photorealistic detail' XD

But if you think your work is HQ and have enough confidence to take them saying no should they not want it I'd say go for posting! You could find a long lasting customer and if not, others who post on the thread may be interested. Hopefully though, the person who made the LF thread would give more details on their expectations/what they want drawn than just saying HQ art to give you a better idea of if you could draw X thing(s) well.
3vHpx6Q.gifto5PExK.gif9pBokCW.gifYqq67Ss.gifqeem2ik.gifGfe13j0.gifom2qNyp.gifjXUW0Lv.gifn6WE0MB.gifTgabe8i.gifScGZkh8.gif
@Deathspecter
Wow you hit on what I was thinking reading these responses.
How to muster up the guts to call yourself high-quality.
Guess you just do it.
@Deathspecter
Wow you hit on what I was thinking reading these responses.
How to muster up the guts to call yourself high-quality.
Guess you just do it.
dove_cryptidove.pngfkWjutW.png5c15bb999532f9391109728396a638d13602f294.png
Quality is indeed subjective but they're probably talking about the render style. There's objectively "simple" and objectively "complex" styles.

Tbh it kind of feels like when clients ask you to make something "pop" without actually knowing what that means specifically. I'd just show them a few examples of your style and then they'd let you know if that's what they want or not. Nobody worth selling to would make fun of you unless it was joke art tier.

"HQ" just seems like the client's way of communicating they want fully rendered, well-studied complex art. Anatomy and all that. The specifics vary from person to person.
Quality is indeed subjective but they're probably talking about the render style. There's objectively "simple" and objectively "complex" styles.

Tbh it kind of feels like when clients ask you to make something "pop" without actually knowing what that means specifically. I'd just show them a few examples of your style and then they'd let you know if that's what they want or not. Nobody worth selling to would make fun of you unless it was joke art tier.

"HQ" just seems like the client's way of communicating they want fully rendered, well-studied complex art. Anatomy and all that. The specifics vary from person to person.