Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Reclassify "floating" apparel
1 2 3 4 5
[u]Top edit: Changed thread title for clarity[/u], for people not wanting to read the whole OP I am [u]not[/u] suggesting making apparel available to ancients, I am suggesting adding a new non-apparel classification of items that decorates their space. I also suggest reading the OP before commenting but do as you will ------- I ran out of letters in the title so what I mean to say is [i]"reclassify floating apparel and let ancient breeds "wear" them"[/i] By floating apparel I mean any apparel item that isnt actually clothes and doesnt interact with the dragon, aka do [i]not[/i] have to be re-drawn to apply to a new breed/gender because they dont really interact with the dragon, they just "float" either next to or around it. [center][b]Examples [/b] [item=Ethereal Entourage] [item=Celebration Sage Lantern] [item=Black Tulip Flowerfall] [item=Winter Wind] [item=Companion Comet][item=Spring's Breath][/center] Most of them arent really clothes at all, they're just cute/pretty environmental stuff like animals, snowflakes, or floating leaves/petals, so I dont think they would interfere with the lore of ancients not wearing clothes or with the purpose of the ancients relieving the staff from enormous artistic workloads. What it WOULD do though is allow the silhouettes of the ancient breeds to be broken up a little bit. I've found that while I really like the ancient breeds, them only having accents/skins means all of their images become very samey and I think it kind of detracts from the uniqueness and personality people like to add to dragons through dressing them up. Now where the reclassification thing comes in, it would have a twofold effect. First: If they were reclassified as something other than apparel it would allow them to be applied to all dragons, as well as ancient dragons without the "item name (breed)" situation, and maybe you could even do a little trickery like allowing them to be placed below the dragon's image to give a different effect, like I've mocked up here: [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/RKW6a3g.png[/img][/center] Secondly, by giving them their own classification they would have strict rules that would separate them from other apparel, namely that they do not interact with the dragon and their art is not unique between poses/breeds. By only applying items with that strict rule set it wouldn't allow for wiggle room towards other more work-heavy apparel sneaking into that classification. After all, we cant wear trinkets, they're not apparel (despite looking like it often). Some stuff wont look good on the 'below' like the petals and snowflakes do, but I think that's just part of layering, a lot of clothes layers weird too, its just up to user preference. I get that having a couple breeds around that you dont have to redraw [i]every single piece[/i] of the billion apparel items for is pretty nice, that's a DAUNTING task that I do not envy. That being said, the whole appeal of the site is dressing up/customizing dragons you buy/breed and giving them personalities and stuff so I think it would be nice to get to toss some flower petals (that have already been drawn) around them, especially since there arent all that many of these types of items. Them not even getting stuff like this is part of the reason I've been hesitant to get too into the ancients, even though I really like their designs. Heck, since there are so few items like this, I will [i]personally[/i] do any placement/adjustment necessary to fit the floating items onto the dragons properly if this could be made a reality (had to move a couple petals off the veilspun's face, took 2 seconds) [center]-----------------edit:[/center] I'm [b]not[/b] talking about anything that requires new art [i]or[/i] programming beyond what apparel already has (other than a new category so it can be applied to ancients as well). Other people are suggesting that stuff, and while I dont think the ideas are bad, they're not part of [i]this[/i] suggestion, and should/could be their own thing. I'm pretty much shooting for [u]maximum easiness[/u] for maximum potential of it actually happening. Like if you can hit CTRL+C/CTRL+V twice and have the new item ready to go, that's what I'm going for. Maybe a little position adjustment if its in an awkward place, but no more than like, a minute of work per thing. This is just trying to make a way to have items that share identical/near identical art between breeds shifted to a category that can be applied to [i]all[/i] dragons including ancients (and maybe hatchlings?). A slippery slope argument that giving people an inch would open the door to more demands is not valid as that can be applied to [i]literally anything[/i] and isnt a good reason not to do something nice.
Top edit: Changed thread title for clarity, for people not wanting to read the whole OP I am not suggesting making apparel available to ancients, I am suggesting adding a new non-apparel classification of items that decorates their space.

I also suggest reading the OP before commenting but do as you will

I ran out of letters in the title so what I mean to say is "reclassify floating apparel and let ancient breeds "wear" them"

By floating apparel I mean any apparel item that isnt actually clothes and doesnt interact with the dragon, aka do not have to be re-drawn to apply to a new breed/gender because they dont really interact with the dragon, they just "float" either next to or around it.
Examples
Ethereal Entourage Celebration Sage Lantern Black Tulip Flowerfall
Winter Wind Companion Comet Spring's Breath

Most of them arent really clothes at all, they're just cute/pretty environmental stuff like animals, snowflakes, or floating leaves/petals, so I dont think they would interfere with the lore of ancients not wearing clothes or with the purpose of the ancients relieving the staff from enormous artistic workloads.

What it WOULD do though is allow the silhouettes of the ancient breeds to be broken up a little bit. I've found that while I really like the ancient breeds, them only having accents/skins means all of their images become very samey and I think it kind of detracts from the uniqueness and personality people like to add to dragons through dressing them up.

Now where the reclassification thing comes in, it would have a twofold effect. First: If they were reclassified as something other than apparel it would allow them to be applied to all dragons, as well as ancient dragons without the "item name (breed)" situation, and maybe you could even do a little trickery like allowing them to be placed below the dragon's image to give a different effect, like I've mocked up here:
RKW6a3g.png

Secondly, by giving them their own classification they would have strict rules that would separate them from other apparel, namely that they do not interact with the dragon and their art is not unique between poses/breeds. By only applying items with that strict rule set it wouldn't allow for wiggle room towards other more work-heavy apparel sneaking into that classification. After all, we cant wear trinkets, they're not apparel (despite looking like it often).

Some stuff wont look good on the 'below' like the petals and snowflakes do, but I think that's just part of layering, a lot of clothes layers weird too, its just up to user preference.

I get that having a couple breeds around that you dont have to redraw every single piece of the billion apparel items for is pretty nice, that's a DAUNTING task that I do not envy. That being said, the whole appeal of the site is dressing up/customizing dragons you buy/breed and giving them personalities and stuff so I think it would be nice to get to toss some flower petals (that have already been drawn) around them, especially since there arent all that many of these types of items. Them not even getting stuff like this is part of the reason I've been hesitant to get too into the ancients, even though I really like their designs.

Heck, since there are so few items like this, I will personally do any placement/adjustment necessary to fit the floating items onto the dragons properly if this could be made a reality (had to move a couple petals off the veilspun's face, took 2 seconds)

edit:

I'm not talking about anything that requires new art or programming beyond what apparel already has (other than a new category so it can be applied to ancients as well). Other people are suggesting that stuff, and while I dont think the ideas are bad, they're not part of this suggestion, and should/could be their own thing.

I'm pretty much shooting for maximum easiness for maximum potential of it actually happening. Like if you can hit CTRL+C/CTRL+V twice and have the new item ready to go, that's what I'm going for. Maybe a little position adjustment if its in an awkward place, but no more than like, a minute of work per thing.

This is just trying to make a way to have items that share identical/near identical art between breeds shifted to a category that can be applied to all dragons including ancients (and maybe hatchlings?).

A slippery slope argument that giving people an inch would open the door to more demands is not valid as that can be applied to literally anything and isnt a good reason not to do something nice.
I support this, I don’t care if others don’t. I wish there was a ‘foreground’ classification for apparel that would be available for all poses, although I don’t know if coding would be feasible.
I support this, I don’t care if others don’t. I wish there was a ‘foreground’ classification for apparel that would be available for all poses, although I don’t know if coding would be feasible.

I get too many pings, please PM if you ping and I don’t respond
[quote name="Oggdo" date="2021-06-29 17:04:12" ] I support this, I don’t care if others don’t. I wish there was a ‘foreground’ classification for apparel that would be available for all poses, although I don’t know if coding would be feasible. [/quote] D'oh, "foreground/background" was what I was thinking of when I said "above/below", somehow despite being an artist I completely forgot the words lmao. Thank you.
Oggdo wrote on 2021-06-29 17:04:12:

D'oh, "foreground/background" was what I was thinking of when I said "above/below", somehow despite being an artist I completely forgot the words lmao. Thank you.
I want to support this because this is all my favorite apparel anyway (floaters, lol) but I'm not sure how it'll work in the AH with some apparel working for Ancients and some not. I don't want to end up with like "Celebration Sage Lantern (Modern)" and "Celebration Sage Lantern (Ancient)" in the AH. That already drives me nuts with genes. But there does need to be a clear way to designate what apparel Ancients can "wear."
I want to support this because this is all my favorite apparel anyway (floaters, lol) but I'm not sure how it'll work in the AH with some apparel working for Ancients and some not. I don't want to end up with like "Celebration Sage Lantern (Modern)" and "Celebration Sage Lantern (Ancient)" in the AH. That already drives me nuts with genes. But there does need to be a clear way to designate what apparel Ancients can "wear."
jt3PpxV.png
Support, I would love an apparel update that includes this, preferably also including hatchlings in being able to use foreground apparel. [quote name="Seespotbitejane" date="2021-06-29 17:28:59" ] I want to support this because this is all my favorite apparel anyway (floaters, lol) but I'm not sure how it'll work in the AH with some apparel working for Ancients and some not. I don't want to end up with like "Celebration Sage Lantern (Modern)" and "Celebration Sage Lantern (Ancient)" in the AH. That already drives me nuts with genes. But there does need to be a clear way to designate what apparel Ancients can "wear." [/quote] I definitely wouldn't want them to make separate items for ancients and moderns. Ideally, "foreground" would become a new apparel category, like head, neck, etc.
Support, I would love an apparel update that includes this, preferably also including hatchlings in being able to use foreground apparel.
Seespotbitejane wrote on 2021-06-29 17:28:59:

I definitely wouldn't want them to make separate items for ancients and moderns. Ideally, "foreground" would become a new apparel category, like head, neck, etc.
!! signature under construction !!
I do support this honestly, it's not nearly as complicated as any other apparel suggestions for ancients by a long shot. I just hope people don't try to beg for other things while they're at it, cause ancients exist because doing apparel takes so long, as we see with Obelisk.
I do support this honestly, it's not nearly as complicated as any other apparel suggestions for ancients by a long shot. I just hope people don't try to beg for other things while they're at it, cause ancients exist because doing apparel takes so long, as we see with Obelisk.
74332c694ca06bf1ae3ceeac370ec53d30d44605.png
BIG support! i think if they reclassified apparel to have wearables and floaters to be seperate categories that would take care of it, on the ah apparel could be tweaked to have "modern" and "ancient (only fore/background)" subcategories to make it easier for anyone confused on what either can wear.
aside from that though, this would be quite easy to do. even with line breaking genes, all ancients still have spots companion apparel can sit and not be in the way with said genes- especially with things like flowerfall and the lanterns
BIG support! i think if they reclassified apparel to have wearables and floaters to be seperate categories that would take care of it, on the ah apparel could be tweaked to have "modern" and "ancient (only fore/background)" subcategories to make it easier for anyone confused on what either can wear.
aside from that though, this would be quite easy to do. even with line breaking genes, all ancients still have spots companion apparel can sit and not be in the way with said genes- especially with things like flowerfall and the lanterns
qXQWPsO.png
hyde
he/she fr+19
I have long supported a foreground mechanic to complement scenes, and yeah, the floating apparel, ie apparel that should only have one single image, would be ideal for starting with.

Only issue I can see is that some people might not like the idea of not being able to layer them (my idea of foreground would be something that goes completely across the scene, and isn't just concentrated on the dragon itself, and it would also get the familiar) with other apparel. (I personally don't care, but that was brought up at least once that I saw)

Having foreground apparel would also allow hatchlings and Eternal youth dragons to 'wear' apparel like this as well, letting them not be as naked as they are now.
I have long supported a foreground mechanic to complement scenes, and yeah, the floating apparel, ie apparel that should only have one single image, would be ideal for starting with.

Only issue I can see is that some people might not like the idea of not being able to layer them (my idea of foreground would be something that goes completely across the scene, and isn't just concentrated on the dragon itself, and it would also get the familiar) with other apparel. (I personally don't care, but that was brought up at least once that I saw)

Having foreground apparel would also allow hatchlings and Eternal youth dragons to 'wear' apparel like this as well, letting them not be as naked as they are now.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
ok ngl I laughed at "floaters"

—anyway. Mixed support/non-support from me.

I think this concept could definitely work, but I would definitely want these items to be reclassified as something entirely different from apparel—such as "foreground" items like in Jemadar's idea. The non-apparel distinction would be super necessary to prevent confusion.

(I also think probably most "companion critters" would not fit in this category, since the majority do in fact "sit" on the dragon in some form.)
ok ngl I laughed at "floaters"

—anyway. Mixed support/non-support from me.

I think this concept could definitely work, but I would definitely want these items to be reclassified as something entirely different from apparel—such as "foreground" items like in Jemadar's idea. The non-apparel distinction would be super necessary to prevent confusion.

(I also think probably most "companion critters" would not fit in this category, since the majority do in fact "sit" on the dragon in some form.)
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
I dont want it to have to be something that spreads all the way over the familiar/scene for a couple reasons:
  1. Part of my proposal was that there wouldnt be any (or very little) editing to the existing artwork to make them work, and that would require extra stuff
  2. I want them to appear on the dragon in widgets the way they already do

As for finding in the AH/MP, I think having to add (Species name) after them would be alleviated if they were just wholly reclassified but interacted with every dragon identically. Like, change the existing items to "extras" category or something instead of apparel and have that category of item work on all dragons the same way. Then it wouldnt need to have the separation of "Item (breed)" it would just be "item". Maybe have a little sparkle, leaf, feather, etc emoji in the corner instead of the classic apparel symbol (helmet?)

They could go under the supercategory of "apparel" and have a subcategory of "extras" (or whatever) the same way you can already go "Apparel" category "Extras and accents"

As for the pets sitting on the dragon, I only looked at a couple pets and they were the dogs that just sort of stand near/next to the dragon so I apologize for that. Since there are pretty few of those maybe they could be an exception for redrawing art, because I still feel like they thematically fit into the same category as the other stuff here.

I still think it would be nice to have a foreground/background option though to either place them in front of or behind the dragon, but if thats asking too much just getting to have petals at all would be amazing.
I dont want it to have to be something that spreads all the way over the familiar/scene for a couple reasons:
  1. Part of my proposal was that there wouldnt be any (or very little) editing to the existing artwork to make them work, and that would require extra stuff
  2. I want them to appear on the dragon in widgets the way they already do

As for finding in the AH/MP, I think having to add (Species name) after them would be alleviated if they were just wholly reclassified but interacted with every dragon identically. Like, change the existing items to "extras" category or something instead of apparel and have that category of item work on all dragons the same way. Then it wouldnt need to have the separation of "Item (breed)" it would just be "item". Maybe have a little sparkle, leaf, feather, etc emoji in the corner instead of the classic apparel symbol (helmet?)

They could go under the supercategory of "apparel" and have a subcategory of "extras" (or whatever) the same way you can already go "Apparel" category "Extras and accents"

As for the pets sitting on the dragon, I only looked at a couple pets and they were the dogs that just sort of stand near/next to the dragon so I apologize for that. Since there are pretty few of those maybe they could be an exception for redrawing art, because I still feel like they thematically fit into the same category as the other stuff here.

I still think it would be nice to have a foreground/background option though to either place them in front of or behind the dragon, but if thats asking too much just getting to have petals at all would be amazing.
1 2 3 4 5