Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | New Feature: Project Planner
Maybe a better name would be something along the lines of "Clan Manager". This kind of started out as a "what should I do to practice programming" thing, and I actually find the result quite useful. I like to keep a somewhat balanced lair in terms of number of dragons of a certain breed or with a certain gene (pearlcatchers and capsule don't count) but with 50+ permas and more on the way, it gets a little out of hand. For some time I tried using spreadsheets, but typing out every dragon was pretty tedious. There were also some amazingly coded spreadsheets offered somewhere, but somehow I felt they didn't quite suit my needs. With the scrying workshop and dressing room allowing you to plan a dragon's look without even having a dragon like it yet, I feel having a feature that [b]displays all projects together, shows the number of dragons with each gene/breed/element, and possibly allows you to keep track of the items you're missing to complete them[/b] would be fairly useful. With a share feature, it could even double as a [b]wishlist[/b]. It could be used for completed projects as well, mostly to be able to tell general facts about your lair. This part could arguably be added to the account settings information that shows total nests laid, food eaten and so on. For projects, it would be nice if the [b]total price of the genes and even apparel needed could be calculated for each one[/b] (considering only items that are available in the marketplace). That way, it would be easier to set goals, choosing which projects to tackle first, or looking for the ones one can afford, without having to refer to the Game Database for every item. I'm currently using a sort of project planner I programmed using the IDE's widgets for the interface. I have very little experience programming (almost 2 years now, and only with C++), so it's probably not a very good solution to what I'd like as a feature, but for the moment it serves its purpose. I'd like to eventually add a way to keep track of what genes have already been applied, or what scrolls I've already bought, but I'm still figuring out how to get it done. Anyways, here's a little demo of the program. [img]https://i.imgur.com/hX6kb8R.gif[/img] Loading a file fills the first table with each dragon's information, and the second one with every gene/breed/element count. There are different tables for Ancients and permababies, mostly because I prefer them grouped separately. [img]https://i.imgur.com/W9GQdhk.png[/img] I tried to keep the dragon-adding interface similar to the scrying workshop's one, though I imagine this would not be needed in an in-game feature. It would probably be easier if one could just select from one's saved morphologies to add to the projects section. That way one could differentiate temporary scries with ones that are actually goal to add to your perma lair, as opposed to having them all be included as projects automatically. Let me know what you think of a feature like this! Would you use it? What would you like to be able to do with it? Is it even plausible to have something of the sort added to the site?
Maybe a better name would be something along the lines of "Clan Manager". This kind of started out as a "what should I do to practice programming" thing, and I actually find the result quite useful.

I like to keep a somewhat balanced lair in terms of number of dragons of a certain breed or with a certain gene (pearlcatchers and capsule don't count) but with 50+ permas and more on the way, it gets a little out of hand.
For some time I tried using spreadsheets, but typing out every dragon was pretty tedious. There were also some amazingly coded spreadsheets offered somewhere, but somehow I felt they didn't quite suit my needs.

With the scrying workshop and dressing room allowing you to plan a dragon's look without even having a dragon like it yet, I feel having a feature that displays all projects together, shows the number of dragons with each gene/breed/element, and possibly allows you to keep track of the items you're missing to complete them would be fairly useful. With a share feature, it could even double as a wishlist.
It could be used for completed projects as well, mostly to be able to tell general facts about your lair. This part could arguably be added to the account settings information that shows total nests laid, food eaten and so on.

For projects, it would be nice if the total price of the genes and even apparel needed could be calculated for each one (considering only items that are available in the marketplace). That way, it would be easier to set goals, choosing which projects to tackle first, or looking for the ones one can afford, without having to refer to the Game Database for every item.

I'm currently using a sort of project planner I programmed using the IDE's widgets for the interface. I have very little experience programming (almost 2 years now, and only with C++), so it's probably not a very good solution to what I'd like as a feature, but for the moment it serves its purpose. I'd like to eventually add a way to keep track of what genes have already been applied, or what scrolls I've already bought, but I'm still figuring out how to get it done.
Anyways, here's a little demo of the program.

hX6kb8R.gif

Loading a file fills the first table with each dragon's information, and the second one with every gene/breed/element count. There are different tables for Ancients and permababies, mostly because I prefer them grouped separately.

W9GQdhk.png

I tried to keep the dragon-adding interface similar to the scrying workshop's one, though I imagine this would not be needed in an in-game feature.
It would probably be easier if one could just select from one's saved morphologies to add to the projects section. That way one could differentiate temporary scries with ones that are actually goal to add to your perma lair, as opposed to having them all be included as projects automatically.

Let me know what you think of a feature like this! Would you use it? What would you like to be able to do with it? Is it even plausible to have something of the sort added to the site?
Having something on site to keep track of personal projects would be a godsend tbh. Hell, make it a little scribe/secretary npc who charges you maybe like, 100T per project slot to keep your plans in order for you. A minor treasure sink + useful in game organization tool. The base idea you've got here seems like a good start, but admittedly seems a bit confusing to navigate at first glance.
Having something on site to keep track of personal projects would be a godsend tbh. Hell, make it a little scribe/secretary npc who charges you maybe like, 100T per project slot to keep your plans in order for you. A minor treasure sink + useful in game organization tool. The base idea you've got here seems like a good start, but admittedly seems a bit confusing to navigate at first glance.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
huge support! as someone who's been starting a lot of projects lately... this would help so much.
huge support! as someone who's been starting a lot of projects lately... this would help so much.
oooo
lightf1.png

euclid
it/its
ca5598c1562f7247710d616cfd891b3c26c319f5.png

lightf2.png
Yes, please FR. This would be a Tidelord godsend
Yes, please FR. This would be a Tidelord godsend

I get too many pings, please PM if you ping and I don’t respond
Agreed! Huge Support!
Agreed! Huge Support!
lAH9HaN.png I8zbFTZ.png eA9odUz.png
Oh wow, this would be amazing. I can guarantee I'd use this feature literally multiple times every day. Massive support.
Oh wow, this would be amazing. I can guarantee I'd use this feature literally multiple times every day. Massive support.
6ntc1cC.jpg
I would LOVE this!!!
I've tried multiple spreadsheets (all very well designed and great), but I have a lot of dragons and plans (full lair of mainly intended-to-be permas) and I'm mostly using a tablet that doesn't play well with google sheets (I can view but not edit without things crashing) so they always end up abandoned because keeping them updated is just too much of a hassle.

I would happily pay a fee for an on site tracking option that doesn't require hours upon hours upon hours of data input just to start let alone keep current.
I would LOVE this!!!
I've tried multiple spreadsheets (all very well designed and great), but I have a lot of dragons and plans (full lair of mainly intended-to-be permas) and I'm mostly using a tablet that doesn't play well with google sheets (I can view but not edit without things crashing) so they always end up abandoned because keeping them updated is just too much of a hassle.

I would happily pay a fee for an on site tracking option that doesn't require hours upon hours upon hours of data input just to start let alone keep current.
I don't know how feasible it would be as a feature on the website, but I do worry that I have too many of one type of dragon in my lair, so I would definitely use this feature!
I don't know how feasible it would be as a feature on the website, but I do worry that I have too many of one type of dragon in my lair, so I would definitely use this feature!
dNCLmdm.png