Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Reader's Advisory - CLOSED
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23
Ooohhh, mysteries, my favorite! :) Several of my favorite series have already been recommended, but I would like to add a recommendation for the Murder Most Unladylike series (aka the Wells & Wong mysteries) by Robin Stevens. These delightful mysteries are technically YA books, but I found them just as engrossing and satisfying as any golden age mystery. Two girls at a British boarding school, Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells, form a secret club called the Detective Society. It seems like a game of puzzles to them at first, but then they keep encountering actual murders to solve.

One thing I love about these books is that they're written as if they are Hazel's case notes, which allows for some charming innovation in the storytelling. Many of them contain deliberate homages to famous novels, both in plot and structure, and in that the girls are both big fans of the books! Another reason I enjoy them is that they are period novels, so they satisfy my love of golden age mysteries, but they're written by a modern day author, so not only do the books avoid some of the bigotry that was unfortunately inherent in the golden age novels, they actually confront some of the historical bigotry/sexism head on.

(And please add me to the pinglist! Thanks!)
Ooohhh, mysteries, my favorite! :) Several of my favorite series have already been recommended, but I would like to add a recommendation for the Murder Most Unladylike series (aka the Wells & Wong mysteries) by Robin Stevens. These delightful mysteries are technically YA books, but I found them just as engrossing and satisfying as any golden age mystery. Two girls at a British boarding school, Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells, form a secret club called the Detective Society. It seems like a game of puzzles to them at first, but then they keep encountering actual murders to solve.

One thing I love about these books is that they're written as if they are Hazel's case notes, which allows for some charming innovation in the storytelling. Many of them contain deliberate homages to famous novels, both in plot and structure, and in that the girls are both big fans of the books! Another reason I enjoy them is that they are period novels, so they satisfy my love of golden age mysteries, but they're written by a modern day author, so not only do the books avoid some of the bigotry that was unfortunately inherent in the golden age novels, they actually confront some of the historical bigotry/sexism head on.

(And please add me to the pinglist! Thanks!)
B25L2.pngo238-d01-Vixyish.pngs009-Vixyish-Chandon.pngo238-d02-Vixyish.pngo238-d03-Vixyish.pngo238-d04-Vixyish.pngs009-Vixyish-Moet.pngo238-d05-Vixyish.pngB25R2.png
Pinglist please!

Title: The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Author: Agatha Christie
Reason:
It’s been a hot minute since I read this, but I’m quite fond of it. From what I remember, it seemed like a very clear case, someone very very rich is poisoned and there’s a clear inheritor with a clear motive. But it’s not him. I got a tad bit lost since I was listening to it via audiobook, but the plot and motives were sound.
I also loved the inspector’s character. He’s just so silly, even if the point of view character is rather bland.
Good book! I liked it quite a bit :)
Pinglist please!

Title: The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Author: Agatha Christie
Reason:
It’s been a hot minute since I read this, but I’m quite fond of it. From what I remember, it seemed like a very clear case, someone very very rich is poisoned and there’s a clear inheritor with a clear motive. But it’s not him. I got a tad bit lost since I was listening to it via audiobook, but the plot and motives were sound.
I also loved the inspector’s character. He’s just so silly, even if the point of view character is rather bland.
Good book! I liked it quite a bit :)
My coliseum scavenger hunt progress!
Helping stock the AH, come see!
7zcCDc4.png
[columns]Hmm, well I am a voracious reader when I'm not tending to the children so perhaps I might be able to help. Granted, being a shadowling myself we don't take to [i]cozy [/i]so well but I might've heard tale of a few stories that fit what you're looking for, occasionally.None for myself, of course, just for.... acquaintances. [nextcol][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/10239589][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/102396/10239589_350.png[/img][/url][/columns] There is a slight cough from the back of the skydancer's throat, "Anyhows, it seems like you'd be interested in a Sherlock Paws novel, and since I haven't met one yet that doesn't also fall under cozy mystery, it seems you're in luck. [b]Murder, She Barked [/b]is the first book in the Paws and Claws Mystery series by [b]Krista Davis[/b]. Small town, check! Fuzzy companion? Check! The unlucky protagonist acquires both a dog and a cat throughout the course of her misadventure at her family's Inn. While I'm sure the twists can be a little.. predictable - what twists aren't when you're an aficionado of the genre? It is still an enjoyable journey with plenty of that cozy charm. Left Fur Dead by J.M. Griffin is a special take on the furry companion, featuring a rabbit instead of the cat or dog-critter that's become a staple of the genre. It features a small-town rabbit breeder stumbling upon a body of someone she knows and trying to figure out who-dun-it. Also the rabbit is telepathic, if that isn't enough to draw you in, I'm not sure what would. " Mischief flicks his tail after a long moment, "And for a just fun cozy mystery, though it fits few of the criteria you've set, may I personally recommend [b]The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax[/b], by [b]Dorothy Gilman [/b]featuring a grandmother who becomes a spy for the CIA by accident (On the CIA's part, it was entirely purposeful on hers), then uses her love of life, adventure and humble attitude to save the day? Oh sure, it is dated, the first book in the Mrs. Pollifax series was written in the 60's after all, but it's far more agreeable than say, James Bond and all of Fleming's... overt prejudice. And it is great fun... or so I've heard. The movies didn't do either justice." (Can I be added to the ping list please!! I just got a part-time job at the circulation desk of a library so I'm excited to practice my recommendation-finding abilities, even if it is in the form of a dragon!)
Hmm, well I am a voracious reader when I'm not tending to the children so perhaps I might be able to help. Granted, being a shadowling myself we don't take to cozy so well but I might've heard tale of a few stories that fit what you're looking for, occasionally.None for myself, of course, just for.... acquaintances. 10239589_350.png

There is a slight cough from the back of the skydancer's throat, "Anyhows, it seems like you'd be interested in a Sherlock Paws novel, and since I haven't met one yet that doesn't also fall under cozy mystery, it seems you're in luck. Murder, She Barked is the first book in the Paws and Claws Mystery series by Krista Davis. Small town, check! Fuzzy companion? Check! The unlucky protagonist acquires both a dog and a cat throughout the course of her misadventure at her family's Inn. While I'm sure the twists can be a little.. predictable - what twists aren't when you're an aficionado of the genre? It is still an enjoyable journey with plenty of that cozy charm. Left Fur Dead by J.M. Griffin is a special take on the furry companion, featuring a rabbit instead of the cat or dog-critter that's become a staple of the genre. It features a small-town rabbit breeder stumbling upon a body of someone she knows and trying to figure out who-dun-it. Also the rabbit is telepathic, if that isn't enough to draw you in, I'm not sure what would. "

Mischief flicks his tail after a long moment, "And for a just fun cozy mystery, though it fits few of the criteria you've set, may I personally recommend The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax, by Dorothy Gilman featuring a grandmother who becomes a spy for the CIA by accident (On the CIA's part, it was entirely purposeful on hers), then uses her love of life, adventure and humble attitude to save the day? Oh sure, it is dated, the first book in the Mrs. Pollifax series was written in the 60's after all, but it's far more agreeable than say, James Bond and all of Fleming's... overt prejudice. And it is great fun... or so I've heard. The movies didn't do either justice."

(Can I be added to the ping list please!! I just got a part-time job at the circulation desk of a library so I'm excited to practice my recommendation-finding abilities, even if it is in the form of a dragon!)
Title: The Cat Who Could Read Backwards
Author: Lilian Jackson Braun
Reason: This is the first book in quite a long series of cozy mysteries, in which a cat is an ongoing participant. I've been reading them for years, and...

Oh, you're already familiar with these? Er, well, then may I suggest...

Title: Two Birds With One Stone
Author: Sigrid Vansandt
Reason: This is also the first book in a series, though a shorter one; and it really has that 'normal people drawn into wild events' thing going for it. Both critics and library patron reviews rave about the character development!
Title: The Cat Who Could Read Backwards
Author: Lilian Jackson Braun
Reason: This is the first book in quite a long series of cozy mysteries, in which a cat is an ongoing participant. I've been reading them for years, and...

Oh, you're already familiar with these? Er, well, then may I suggest...

Title: Two Birds With One Stone
Author: Sigrid Vansandt
Reason: This is also the first book in a series, though a shorter one; and it really has that 'normal people drawn into wild events' thing going for it. Both critics and library patron reviews rave about the character development!
CnXcaeB.png * bAQACKn.png

Sunday - Cozy Mystery
If you enjoyed reading Wish You Were Here and are looking to indulge in a culinary masterpiece, then Arsenic and Adobo by Mia P. Manansala is bound to hit the spot! This savory mystery follows a young woman (and her dog) as she attempts to navigate the woes of her youth, all while trying to keep the family restaurant afloat. Will she be able to navigate the spice of life? Or will she come face-to-face with a dish that is so killer, that it will literally sweep her patrons off of their feet?

As an added cherry on top, this book paints a flavorful portrait of Filipino cuisine, makes for a fun and lighthearted read, and marks the first book of a brand new culinary mystery series: Tita Rosie's Kitchen Mystery Series. So cozy up with a warm blanket (or furry friend) and prepare to whet your palette, as you embark on this journey of flavorful deceit.

Sunday - Cozy Mystery
If you enjoyed reading Wish You Were Here and are looking to indulge in a culinary masterpiece, then Arsenic and Adobo by Mia P. Manansala is bound to hit the spot! This savory mystery follows a young woman (and her dog) as she attempts to navigate the woes of her youth, all while trying to keep the family restaurant afloat. Will she be able to navigate the spice of life? Or will she come face-to-face with a dish that is so killer, that it will literally sweep her patrons off of their feet?

As an added cherry on top, this book paints a flavorful portrait of Filipino cuisine, makes for a fun and lighthearted read, and marks the first book of a brand new culinary mystery series: Tita Rosie's Kitchen Mystery Series. So cozy up with a warm blanket (or furry friend) and prepare to whet your palette, as you embark on this journey of flavorful deceit.
QZsv8ej.png8URelp0.pngsxrFjUf.gif
(Also, could I please be added to the daily pinglist? Thanks! ^-^)
(Also, could I please be added to the daily pinglist? Thanks! ^-^)
QZsv8ej.png8URelp0.pngsxrFjUf.gif
((I'd love to get on the pinglist, please!))

This is going to probably be a rather unorthadox recomendation, but here me out: Redwall by Brian Jacques, and just about any of of the prequel and sequel novels as they all follow the same basic formula, which could be considered cozy as many people find comfort in the familiar. But even if that doesn't tick the box for you, the setting itself primarily focuses on a pastoral abby through the years, and the lands surrounding it.

Now, while they aren't always a matter of life and death, books in this series always have some sort of puzzle or mystery to sort out, and trying to figure them out is a lot of the fun! In addition, animal companions are everywhere given all the characters are, well, animals, and Jacques has this fabulous way of describing food that you'd be hard pressed to not be drooling by the end of it (and while there aren't any recepies in the books themselves, Jacques DID colaborate on an official Redwall cookbook that I can confirm is just a delight!)
((I'd love to get on the pinglist, please!))

This is going to probably be a rather unorthadox recomendation, but here me out: Redwall by Brian Jacques, and just about any of of the prequel and sequel novels as they all follow the same basic formula, which could be considered cozy as many people find comfort in the familiar. But even if that doesn't tick the box for you, the setting itself primarily focuses on a pastoral abby through the years, and the lands surrounding it.

Now, while they aren't always a matter of life and death, books in this series always have some sort of puzzle or mystery to sort out, and trying to figure them out is a lot of the fun! In addition, animal companions are everywhere given all the characters are, well, animals, and Jacques has this fabulous way of describing food that you'd be hard pressed to not be drooling by the end of it (and while there aren't any recepies in the books themselves, Jacques DID colaborate on an official Redwall cookbook that I can confirm is just a delight!)
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
@Crystalitar

Please include the author in your post
@Crystalitar

Please include the author in your post
PaI4dmB.pngseeeeeeeeeeekrit text no lookieNhUMtTB.png
Can I please join the ping list?
Can I please join the ping list?
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.giflfh.png
I recommend

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

It's the first in her Hannah Swenson mystery series - which means if you like it there are plenty more to follow! I love that it has recipes in it, so you can make and munch on some of the treats mentioned in the story while you read. The main character is a baker. A body is found near her shop-with her cookies, and she has to clear her reputation. I haven't finished it yet, but it's great fun so far. And there are some interesting characters. Actually, more detail in building side and background characters than a lot of people I've read, which I think is great.
I recommend

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

It's the first in her Hannah Swenson mystery series - which means if you like it there are plenty more to follow! I love that it has recipes in it, so you can make and munch on some of the treats mentioned in the story while you read. The main character is a baker. A body is found near her shop-with her cookies, and she has to clear her reputation. I haven't finished it yet, but it's great fun so far. And there are some interesting characters. Actually, more detail in building side and background characters than a lot of people I've read, which I think is great.
tumblr_inline_n6kdukB9pN1qlye38.gif 5kRkxhJ.png

tRvB8Xn.png || If I don't reply, I'm probably fretting about phrasing.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23