Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Difference between Modern & Ancient??
Hello! I haven't been on FR for like 2 years and I noticed in the auctions there was a "Breed Type" with the options being modern & ancient. It seems in the time I was gone new dragons were added, but what exactly is the difference between modern & ancient? Was there some big event? Is it a lore thing?
Hello! I haven't been on FR for like 2 years and I noticed in the auctions there was a "Breed Type" with the options being modern & ancient. It seems in the time I was gone new dragons were added, but what exactly is the difference between modern & ancient? Was there some big event? Is it a lore thing?
@Weppy
Welcome back!

In short, Ancient breeds cannot wear apparel, and they can only breed with other dragons that share their breed. However, as essentially a compromise for no apparel, these breeds can feature line-breaking tertiary genes that Modern dragons don't have (Beetle for Veilspuns, for example). Ancient breed nests can also have up to 5 eggs due to the breeding restriction.
@Weppy
Welcome back!

In short, Ancient breeds cannot wear apparel, and they can only breed with other dragons that share their breed. However, as essentially a compromise for no apparel, these breeds can feature line-breaking tertiary genes that Modern dragons don't have (Beetle for Veilspuns, for example). Ancient breed nests can also have up to 5 eggs due to the breeding restriction.
fo11Vhp.png
It is partially a lore thing, basically they are ancient breeds that are returning to Sorienth. I believe they were briefly mentioned in Bounty of the Elements if you were still around for that. They were added to give more dragon releases in between new modern breeds. They can't wear apparel (that's why the FR team has been able to release three of them in only two years) and they can only breed with other dragons of that breed. They also have their own separate genes, some of which break the silhouettes of the dragons, which the FR team can't do with modern breeds because it interferes with apparel.
It is partially a lore thing, basically they are ancient breeds that are returning to Sorienth. I believe they were briefly mentioned in Bounty of the Elements if you were still around for that. They were added to give more dragon releases in between new modern breeds. They can't wear apparel (that's why the FR team has been able to release three of them in only two years) and they can only breed with other dragons of that breed. They also have their own separate genes, some of which break the silhouettes of the dragons, which the FR team can't do with modern breeds because it interferes with apparel.
@Weppy
ancient dragons got released a couple years ago for the 6th anniversary and all of the ancient breeds have had a little bit of extra lore to go along with them that follows the events of BotE
ancient breeds are much faster for the devs to make and can break the mold a lot more then modern breeds can, but in exchange they've got a few limitations
for starters, you may have noticed that they get some unique genes or linebreaking tert genes, such as a gaoler having wintercoat or a veilspun having branches. on top of that, they can also break the 6 limb rule, which is why banescales don't have arms
however, ancient breeds can only breed with the same ancient (gaolers with gaolers, veils with veils), and breed changing between any ancient dragon will reset all of the dragons genes to basic. on top of that, they can't wear any apparel to avoid weird clipping and having to deal with where arm apparel would go on banescales (which again, no arms)

edit: seems I was ninja'd, sorry if this was a bit long
@Weppy
ancient dragons got released a couple years ago for the 6th anniversary and all of the ancient breeds have had a little bit of extra lore to go along with them that follows the events of BotE
ancient breeds are much faster for the devs to make and can break the mold a lot more then modern breeds can, but in exchange they've got a few limitations
for starters, you may have noticed that they get some unique genes or linebreaking tert genes, such as a gaoler having wintercoat or a veilspun having branches. on top of that, they can also break the 6 limb rule, which is why banescales don't have arms
however, ancient breeds can only breed with the same ancient (gaolers with gaolers, veils with veils), and breed changing between any ancient dragon will reset all of the dragons genes to basic. on top of that, they can't wear any apparel to avoid weird clipping and having to deal with where arm apparel would go on banescales (which again, no arms)

edit: seems I was ninja'd, sorry if this was a bit long
unknown.png
Thank you all for the responses I appreciate it! :) I understand now!
Thank you all for the responses I appreciate it! :) I understand now!