Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | New apparel- facemasks
1 2 3 4
[quote name="Almedha" date="2020-11-12 23:51:24" ] [quote]Pokemon Go has masks as apparel you can equip now, and tbh, I kind of like it when you set up to battle and you see your opponent is wearing a mask too? Like, it doesn't matter, it's digital, but hey, good on you, fellow mask-wearer.[/quote] Animal Crossing also has face masks. The dinosaur museum in one of the cities near me have the dinosaur statues outside the museum wearing giant face masks. The dinosaur for those gas stations with the green brachiosaurus outside it is wearing a mask. I've seen statues on fountains and outside banks wearing masks. It's a show of solidarity; it's not insensitive. The dinosaurs especially are really cute. And, honestly? I could use some solidarity. But also I wouldn't mind a set of doctor-related things (bandana type things, old-style nurse caps, a wider range of lab coats [i]without[/i] the mad-scientist-high-collar, more gloves, head mirrors, a chemistry set or scalpel set, things like this). Masks could be included. I'm not sure why our only current "doctory" things are circa the Black Plague when FR in canonically around 1920s tech advancement. This clearly means that there is lots of leeway when it comes to what time frame we can get clothing from. But if lots of people are sensitive about it, it's a good idea to not have it now. Maybe later. But I would really like some actual doctory things that are a tad more current than the 17th century. The fact is we don't know when this will be over, so will there be an injunction on doctor costumes forever? [/quote] Pokemon Go and Animal Crossing are both games that feature "player avatars". You (general You) are the player in that game and you're also a Human, and in Pokemon Go's case you're technically playing in the "Real World". Masks make much more sense in that context because it's "You" playing and the setting is more "real-life" based. But there is no player avatar in Flight Rising. You can make a "dragon-sona" but it's still essentially a dragon in your lair and you as the player don't actually exist. The world is Sornieth, not Earth. Flight Rising is not the same kind of game as Pokemon Go and Animal Crossing and what's okay or acceptable in those games can't always crossover. And a museum IRL selling masks is a completely different and unrelated example altogether. (For the record, I'm personally more fine with how AC has handled it since it's just optional additional content in the game and it's easy enough to play AC completely solo. By contrast, I'm less okay with PokeGo's handling because its gameply encourages you to play with other people AND all but the most generic white mask are locked behind a paywall with no indication the funds are supporting anyone but Niantic.) Personally I can't support straight up COVID-related face mask apparel for FR given this is 1) still an on-going crisis and 2) it would be incredibly difficult to straddle the line of sensitivity and player comfort on this issue. What I [i]could[/i] support would be the release of generic doctor/healer-related apparel, particularly if it is done in the following way: 1) The doctor apparel was obviously made and developed by dragons to suit dragon anatomy. So any face-mask resembling apparel would look nothing like a human face-mask and would likely more resemble the existing masks or helms. 2) The apparel isn't "modern" in any sense of the word and suits Sornieth's current and/or given level of technology. 3) Any gem marketplace sets' proceeds would be sent on to aiding doctors and/or COVID-relief organizations so that there is absolutely no way for the playerbase to cry foul about FR potentially "profiting" off of a world-wide crisis. Also that would just be a nice thing to do. Preferably apparel sets like this would be released once the pandemic is under control, however, I wouldn't be especially opposed to it releasing before that so the funds raised could do more good now when it's needed most.
Almedha wrote on 2020-11-12 23:51:24:
Quote:
Pokemon Go has masks as apparel you can equip now, and tbh, I kind of like it when you set up to battle and you see your opponent is wearing a mask too? Like, it doesn't matter, it's digital, but hey, good on you, fellow mask-wearer.
Animal Crossing also has face masks. The dinosaur museum in one of the cities near me have the dinosaur statues outside the museum wearing giant face masks. The dinosaur for those gas stations with the green brachiosaurus outside it is wearing a mask. I've seen statues on fountains and outside banks wearing masks. It's a show of solidarity; it's not insensitive. The dinosaurs especially are really cute. And, honestly? I could use some solidarity.

But also I wouldn't mind a set of doctor-related things (bandana type things, old-style nurse caps, a wider range of lab coats without the mad-scientist-high-collar, more gloves, head mirrors, a chemistry set or scalpel set, things like this). Masks could be included.

I'm not sure why our only current "doctory" things are circa the Black Plague when FR in canonically around 1920s tech advancement. This clearly means that there is lots of leeway when it comes to what time frame we can get clothing from.

But if lots of people are sensitive about it, it's a good idea to not have it now. Maybe later. But I would really like some actual doctory things that are a tad more current than the 17th century.

The fact is we don't know when this will be over, so will there be an injunction on doctor costumes forever?

Pokemon Go and Animal Crossing are both games that feature "player avatars". You (general You) are the player in that game and you're also a Human, and in Pokemon Go's case you're technically playing in the "Real World". Masks make much more sense in that context because it's "You" playing and the setting is more "real-life" based.

But there is no player avatar in Flight Rising. You can make a "dragon-sona" but it's still essentially a dragon in your lair and you as the player don't actually exist. The world is Sornieth, not Earth. Flight Rising is not the same kind of game as Pokemon Go and Animal Crossing and what's okay or acceptable in those games can't always crossover. And a museum IRL selling masks is a completely different and unrelated example altogether. (For the record, I'm personally more fine with how AC has handled it since it's just optional additional content in the game and it's easy enough to play AC completely solo. By contrast, I'm less okay with PokeGo's handling because its gameply encourages you to play with other people AND all but the most generic white mask are locked behind a paywall with no indication the funds are supporting anyone but Niantic.)

Personally I can't support straight up COVID-related face mask apparel for FR given this is 1) still an on-going crisis and 2) it would be incredibly difficult to straddle the line of sensitivity and player comfort on this issue.

What I could support would be the release of generic doctor/healer-related apparel, particularly if it is done in the following way:

1) The doctor apparel was obviously made and developed by dragons to suit dragon anatomy. So any face-mask resembling apparel would look nothing like a human face-mask and would likely more resemble the existing masks or helms.

2) The apparel isn't "modern" in any sense of the word and suits Sornieth's current and/or given level of technology.

3) Any gem marketplace sets' proceeds would be sent on to aiding doctors and/or COVID-relief organizations so that there is absolutely no way for the playerbase to cry foul about FR potentially "profiting" off of a world-wide crisis. Also that would just be a nice thing to do.

Preferably apparel sets like this would be released once the pandemic is under control, however, I wouldn't be especially opposed to it releasing before that so the funds raised could do more good now when it's needed most.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
I don't want to remember Covid.
Lore shop closed for good :(
[quote name="BlueDragon819" date="2020-11-13 16:23:27" ] I don't want to remember Covid. [/quote] yeah, this pretty much- doctor apparel with masks, stethoscopes and the like at a later date? all for it! masks, right now? no thanks
BlueDragon819 wrote on 2020-11-13 16:23:27:
yeah, this pretty much-

doctor apparel with masks, stethoscopes and the like at a later date? all for it!
masks, right now? no thanks

____babab__aebe_
Vista: Bisexual Ribbon Vista: Genderfluid Ribbon
I'd rather not, tbh.
I'd rather not, tbh.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I really doubt anyone is going to need something to 'remember' Covid by. It's something that's going to be stuck in the public conciousness for a while.

As someone who had Covid and still hasn't gotten back to full breathing capacity, no support. It'd be like getting an item to remember a war or some other tragedy where lives were lost or changed forever.
I really doubt anyone is going to need something to 'remember' Covid by. It's something that's going to be stuck in the public conciousness for a while.

As someone who had Covid and still hasn't gotten back to full breathing capacity, no support. It'd be like getting an item to remember a war or some other tragedy where lives were lost or changed forever.
hu72dVR.png
No support at all ????

Many comments already stated why... Why would everyone want a reminder of a pandemic that was fatal to some, laid of others from work, made many ill, and caused cultural tension?

To counter-argue any comments about, "but we have plague doctor masks," yes, the plague did affect people in a similar way... HOWEVER, the plague pandemic happened generations ago. Those with family members whom have survived the plague are not around anymore. No one alive has experienced the plague, we just know what happened. Despite knowing that it was bad, we lack that personal connection to it due to it not happening in our lifetimes. With COVID it's personal. We see it, we feel it, we suffer it. If masks are implemented 10 to 20 years from now, I wouldn't personally have as much of an issue. Having masks as an apparel now would be insensitive as there are still people dealing with the effects of COVID.

Now to counter the, "Doctor dragon," argument. There are plague doctor masks, and rogue masks make for a good substitute as well. They are less on-the-nose with the pandemic, and it allows for people to still aesthetically have their dragon medical staff. To have an actual facemask as a way to, "tell/remind others about wearing their masks," is null at best. We all already know that we should wear our masks in public, and some of us might go here to escape reality and all the messes in the outside world. Anyone that lurks here who already have the bad habit of not wearing a mask when they should will not automatically start wearing one just because someone said so or a pixel dragon is wearing one.
No support at all ????

Many comments already stated why... Why would everyone want a reminder of a pandemic that was fatal to some, laid of others from work, made many ill, and caused cultural tension?

To counter-argue any comments about, "but we have plague doctor masks," yes, the plague did affect people in a similar way... HOWEVER, the plague pandemic happened generations ago. Those with family members whom have survived the plague are not around anymore. No one alive has experienced the plague, we just know what happened. Despite knowing that it was bad, we lack that personal connection to it due to it not happening in our lifetimes. With COVID it's personal. We see it, we feel it, we suffer it. If masks are implemented 10 to 20 years from now, I wouldn't personally have as much of an issue. Having masks as an apparel now would be insensitive as there are still people dealing with the effects of COVID.

Now to counter the, "Doctor dragon," argument. There are plague doctor masks, and rogue masks make for a good substitute as well. They are less on-the-nose with the pandemic, and it allows for people to still aesthetically have their dragon medical staff. To have an actual facemask as a way to, "tell/remind others about wearing their masks," is null at best. We all already know that we should wear our masks in public, and some of us might go here to escape reality and all the messes in the outside world. Anyone that lurks here who already have the bad habit of not wearing a mask when they should will not automatically start wearing one just because someone said so or a pixel dragon is wearing one.
{Puppy} {FR +2} {Goat Lover} {22} {They/Them}
1566865007982.png
[quote]Now to counter the, "Doctor dragon," argument. There are plague doctor masks, and rogue masks make for a good substitute as well. They are less on-the-nose with the pandemic, and it allows for people to still aesthetically have their dragon medical staff.[/quote] I'm afraid there's no actual counter to the "doctor dragon" desire. Doctors are a very important part of society (as we've seen more clearly now than possibly ever), and therefore the archetype is a really important part of lots of people's lore. There's no substitute. I mean, if substitutes were good enough, people would have stopped complaining about the sprites when the nymphs came out. But that's not how it went. But, like I said, I'd like entire doctor sets of things, because what we have now is pretty much relegated to a period of time not even touching the one we're dealing with canonically and/or are more heavily associated with the mad-scientist type. I want an actual doctor that doesn't look like he chops dragons up for fun, okay? That's all I want. And masks... aren't necessarily a part of that. Like, if we got head mirrors and actual lab coats, I'd be pleased as Punch. Just doctor-things, I want actual doctor-things. "Being reminded" of the pandemic is not an issue for me. I don't need to be reminded. I always know. I don't really understand the idea of "forgetting" because you're playing a game. It doesn't work like that for me, so I guess there are people out there who somehow have the ability to "turn off" parts of their brain when engaged in certain activities? Good for them, I guess? But as someone for whom it's never outside, being constantly aware isn't a good reason to not do something. Because, being constantly aware, I do things. I do things I have to and I do things I just consider fun. Of course, that's just a personal opinion. Like the personal opinion that substitutes are good enough for the people who want doctor dragons. Also, why do people even mention if they caught it? I mean... as someone who had COVID, I do support getting dragon-appropriate doctor masks. Your status where illness is concerned doesn't predict whether you support or not, so why bother?
Quote:
Now to counter the, "Doctor dragon," argument. There are plague doctor masks, and rogue masks make for a good substitute as well. They are less on-the-nose with the pandemic, and it allows for people to still aesthetically have their dragon medical staff.
I'm afraid there's no actual counter to the "doctor dragon" desire. Doctors are a very important part of society (as we've seen more clearly now than possibly ever), and therefore the archetype is a really important part of lots of people's lore. There's no substitute. I mean, if substitutes were good enough, people would have stopped complaining about the sprites when the nymphs came out. But that's not how it went.

But, like I said, I'd like entire doctor sets of things, because what we have now is pretty much relegated to a period of time not even touching the one we're dealing with canonically and/or are more heavily associated with the mad-scientist type. I want an actual doctor that doesn't look like he chops dragons up for fun, okay? That's all I want. And masks... aren't necessarily a part of that. Like, if we got head mirrors and actual lab coats, I'd be pleased as Punch. Just doctor-things, I want actual doctor-things.

"Being reminded" of the pandemic is not an issue for me. I don't need to be reminded. I always know. I don't really understand the idea of "forgetting" because you're playing a game. It doesn't work like that for me, so I guess there are people out there who somehow have the ability to "turn off" parts of their brain when engaged in certain activities? Good for them, I guess? But as someone for whom it's never outside, being constantly aware isn't a good reason to not do something. Because, being constantly aware, I do things. I do things I have to and I do things I just consider fun.

Of course, that's just a personal opinion. Like the personal opinion that substitutes are good enough for the people who want doctor dragons.

Also, why do people even mention if they caught it? I mean... as someone who had COVID, I do support getting dragon-appropriate doctor masks. Your status where illness is concerned doesn't predict whether you support or not, so why bother?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I don't think the apparel facemask will ever be made, but if you think it's a really good idea then make a skin!
I don't think the apparel facemask will ever be made, but if you think it's a really good idea then make a skin!
- Subspecies Hatchery
- Amazing video on how to get free gems
- Cauldron Service
| She/Her | +3 FR time | Ping me! | Rest your eyes! |
[quote name="LittlePuppy" date="2020-11-14 09:18:39" ] To counter-argue any comments about, "but we have plague doctor masks," yes, the plague did affect people in a similar way... HOWEVER, the plague pandemic happened generations ago. Those with family members whom have survived the plague are not around anymore. No one alive has experienced the plague, we just know what happened. Despite knowing that it was bad, we lack that personal connection to it due to it not happening in our lifetimes. With COVID it's personal. We see it, we feel it, we suffer it. If masks are implemented 10 to 20 years from now, I wouldn't personally have as much of an issue. Having masks as an apparel now would be insensitive as there are still people dealing with the effects of COVID. [/quote] :D Just a fun fact, plague is still a thing and there's about 600 cases a year. We just have antibiotics now so not many people die.
LittlePuppy wrote on 2020-11-14 09:18:39:

:D Just a fun fact, plague is still a thing and there's about 600 cases a year. We just have antibiotics now so not many people die.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
Doctor apparel with masks at a later date, yes. Right now it's too soon.

If you *must* have a face mask, the Plague Doctor mask or the Rogue masks work OK for that purpose. I have a Plague Primal wearing the white Rogue mask and a lab coat at the moment, who's just a general doctor dragon (I have to write lore for her at some point).
Doctor apparel with masks at a later date, yes. Right now it's too soon.

If you *must* have a face mask, the Plague Doctor mask or the Rogue masks work OK for that purpose. I have a Plague Primal wearing the white Rogue mask and a lab coat at the moment, who's just a general doctor dragon (I have to write lore for her at some point).
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
1 2 3 4