Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any good books about dragons?
1 2 3
So I’ve been wanting a new book or series to read but I don’t know of many books about dragons. I’ve read some of Age of Fire and WoF. Any suggestions?
So I’ve been wanting a new book or series to read but I don’t know of many books about dragons. I’ve read some of Age of Fire and WoF. Any suggestions?
tumblr_msa0liTuc01qbsm9ko5_500.png
not a series, but i absolutely adored the book dragonology when i was younger. its kinda like a book written as if dragons were real creatures, listing facts and such. the art inside was cool and the lil interactive bits were very fun. id love to get my hands on a copy again

edit: huh ok i guess there are more books linked to the one i had, maybe ill check those out too
not a series, but i absolutely adored the book dragonology when i was younger. its kinda like a book written as if dragons were real creatures, listing facts and such. the art inside was cool and the lil interactive bits were very fun. id love to get my hands on a copy again

edit: huh ok i guess there are more books linked to the one i had, maybe ill check those out too
@Fimberous

There's always the Temeraire series by Naomi Novic. It's alternate history, about the Napoleonic war, except with dragons. Really huge dragons, most of the time, used as giant flying warships. And they're sapient, too, but considered a lower class than humans, which also leads to some of the conflict. It's a very interesting series and I should probably read the entirety of it sometime. Good stuff, from what I remember.

Edit: Looking at my bookshelves, I've found another interesting one. The Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen. At least the first two books. More on that later.
It's set on a desert planet that was formaly used as a prison planet. The descends of the convicts there domesticaced a species of local animal there: the dragon. Dragons are mainly used for three things: pets, food and pit fighting.
The main protagonist is a very poor boy who grows up working at a pit dragon farm. There is hardly a way to him to change his life, except one day, when he sees a chance to seize one of the hatchlings for himself. Interesting stuff happens.

Now the reason I singled out the first two is is that the stuff afterwards is weird and doesn't quite fit as much into the setting anymore. I'm not usually one to dismiss sequels, but these... eh. The second book also has an ending that is good enough, I think.

@ShadowStorm1404

Yep, there's mroe to it. I have a novel set in the dragonology universe, which I remember being pretty okay. Not the best I've ever read, but fun in its own right.
@Fimberous

There's always the Temeraire series by Naomi Novic. It's alternate history, about the Napoleonic war, except with dragons. Really huge dragons, most of the time, used as giant flying warships. And they're sapient, too, but considered a lower class than humans, which also leads to some of the conflict. It's a very interesting series and I should probably read the entirety of it sometime. Good stuff, from what I remember.

Edit: Looking at my bookshelves, I've found another interesting one. The Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen. At least the first two books. More on that later.
It's set on a desert planet that was formaly used as a prison planet. The descends of the convicts there domesticaced a species of local animal there: the dragon. Dragons are mainly used for three things: pets, food and pit fighting.
The main protagonist is a very poor boy who grows up working at a pit dragon farm. There is hardly a way to him to change his life, except one day, when he sees a chance to seize one of the hatchlings for himself. Interesting stuff happens.

Now the reason I singled out the first two is is that the stuff afterwards is weird and doesn't quite fit as much into the setting anymore. I'm not usually one to dismiss sequels, but these... eh. The second book also has an ending that is good enough, I think.

@ShadowStorm1404

Yep, there's mroe to it. I have a novel set in the dragonology universe, which I remember being pretty okay. Not the best I've ever read, but fun in its own right.
@Fimberous Oh oh oh yes! I got u Here's one of my favorites that you might have never heard of before. It's called Dragonlance (main story trilogy in correct order below), and it's a pretty old series. They made a ton of books with different side arcs to a variety of characters in the book. We own like, 30 different books in the series. Each book is pretty long with some super good descriptive language, it's pretty much like the books transported you there somehow. There are some super good exciting parts, but I will warn you, there's fighting and bloodshed with the evil dragons destroying cities and stuff. There's some awesome suspense and adventure too, oh it's so good! [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/711ni9yYxyL.jpg[/img]
@Fimberous

Oh oh oh yes! I got u

Here's one of my favorites that you might have never heard of before. It's called Dragonlance (main story trilogy in correct order below), and it's a pretty old series. They made a ton of books with different side arcs to a variety of characters in the book. We own like, 30 different books in the series.

Each book is pretty long with some super good descriptive language, it's pretty much like the books transported you there somehow. There are some super good exciting parts, but I will warn you, there's fighting and bloodshed with the evil dragons destroying cities and stuff. There's some awesome suspense and adventure too, oh it's so good!

711ni9yYxyL.jpg
SWYBOuH.jpg ... arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif She/Her
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif +3 FR time
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Arcanite
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif NIC - Cat
Dealing with Dragons is a series about a a princess that willingly gets "kidnapped" by dragons and learns to live with her new dragony life. Its been years since I read it so I don't remember much, but it was a really great series :D
Dealing with Dragons is a series about a a princess that willingly gets "kidnapped" by dragons and learns to live with her new dragony life. Its been years since I read it so I don't remember much, but it was a really great series :D
sEBxtxA.pngeGiN2Xv.pngF8WMfQz.png
tumblr_inline_o0idijyg7x1qg2i5p_540.pngtumblr_inline_o0idinF7Yz1qg2i5p_540.png
A Natural History of Dragons (also known as Memoirs of Lady Trent) by Marie Brennan is really good in my opinion! The series takes place in an alternative Victorian World where dragons exist -- but instead of being magical creatures, they're just animals that have evolved to fit certain ecological niches. The story follows Isabella Trent, a young lady who wants to become a dragon naturalist, and goes above and beyond to realize her dream. Besides studying dragons, she also uncovers the history of the mysterious Draconeans, who supposedly managed to domesticate dragons, but eventually disapperaed completely.

However, the books also focus a lot on Lady Trent's private life and her struggles as a woman in a scientiic field dominated by men, as well as politics and war. The first book especially actually has really little dragons in it, but they appear more often in the later books. I guess you could see it as a kind of historical fiction, but with dragons.
A Natural History of Dragons (also known as Memoirs of Lady Trent) by Marie Brennan is really good in my opinion! The series takes place in an alternative Victorian World where dragons exist -- but instead of being magical creatures, they're just animals that have evolved to fit certain ecological niches. The story follows Isabella Trent, a young lady who wants to become a dragon naturalist, and goes above and beyond to realize her dream. Besides studying dragons, she also uncovers the history of the mysterious Draconeans, who supposedly managed to domesticate dragons, but eventually disapperaed completely.

However, the books also focus a lot on Lady Trent's private life and her struggles as a woman in a scientiic field dominated by men, as well as politics and war. The first book especially actually has really little dragons in it, but they appear more often in the later books. I guess you could see it as a kind of historical fiction, but with dragons.
iIrk1Wj.png
(Dragonriders of) Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
- Based in the far future on an Earth-like planet called Pern. The world is inhabited by dragons and their riders who protect the world from The Thread. Thread are space organisms that rain down from Pern’s sister planet and devour every living thing.

Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D’Lacey
- It has been years since I read any of the books, but the dragons are living clay sculptures :)
(Dragonriders of) Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
- Based in the far future on an Earth-like planet called Pern. The world is inhabited by dragons and their riders who protect the world from The Thread. Thread are space organisms that rain down from Pern’s sister planet and devour every living thing.

Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D’Lacey
- It has been years since I read any of the books, but the dragons are living clay sculptures :)
Sturm
with a
"U"
Gay man (MlM) flag in the style of a faux FlightRising item He/It
FR Time +0
G1 Hoarder
Current Avatar
DO1.png H1sgaHX.png
Wings of fire, definitely
(even tho its more of a story, still derg book)
Wings of fire, definitely
(even tho its more of a story, still derg book)
pHCrqjQ.gif
I haven't read any dragon books in a while but the Dragonkeeper series was my favorite when I was younger :)
I haven't read any dragon books in a while but the Dragonkeeper series was my favorite when I was younger :)
Thank you all for the suggestions c:
Thank you all for the suggestions c:
tumblr_msa0liTuc01qbsm9ko5_500.png
1 2 3