Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "Sex" not "Gender"
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 46 47
[quote name="RedRarebit" date="2014-06-07 07:48:17"] [s]Shhh, thats making too much sense.[/s] Actually surprised no-one suggested this before XD this seems like the best compromise.[/quote] Yeah really! I'm personally not offended or upset at either term. They pretty much just mean which dragons can boink and which can't in this game. :U I mean we could do away with gender completely and let any dragon have sex with any dragon it so wishes~
RedRarebit wrote on 2014-06-07 07:48:17:

Shhh, thats making too much sense.

Actually surprised no-one suggested this before XD this seems like the best compromise.

Yeah really!

I'm personally not offended or upset at either term. They pretty much just mean which dragons can boink and which can't in this game. :U

I mean we could do away with gender completely and let any dragon have sex with any dragon it so wishes~
What I'm wondering is, if the word originally used was "sex", would there be more or less people making a thread to change the word to "gender"?

There have been good suggestions: dropdown menus or radio buttons for a per-user basis, using both words, omitting the words entirely, etc.

I didn't go and count the yea/nay replies but it seems like at this point it's up to FR what they will do (if anything), unless someone has a solution that hasn't already been suggested.
What I'm wondering is, if the word originally used was "sex", would there be more or less people making a thread to change the word to "gender"?

There have been good suggestions: dropdown menus or radio buttons for a per-user basis, using both words, omitting the words entirely, etc.

I didn't go and count the yea/nay replies but it seems like at this point it's up to FR what they will do (if anything), unless someone has a solution that hasn't already been suggested.
TAkaIpD.png
[quote name="RedRarebit" date="2014-06-07 07:48:17"][quote name="Sugarskull" date="2014-06-07 07:15:57"][img]http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/15/150274/2475415-0532372570-tumbl.gif[/img] Option to change between gender/sex in user settings maybe?[/quote] [s]Shhh, thats making too much sense.[/s] Actually surprised no-one suggested this before XD this seems like the best compromise.[/quote] I'm a bit surprised we had 35 pages worth of a lot of support,quite a few no supports for various reasons,one or two rude no supports and this never came into play until now. I don't really see the point of making this change but I don't object to it. I also don't need anyone to explain it to me since I have my reasons.
RedRarebit wrote on 2014-06-07 07:48:17:
Sugarskull wrote on 2014-06-07 07:15:57:
2475415-0532372570-tumbl.gif

Option to change between gender/sex in user settings maybe?

Shhh, thats making too much sense.

Actually surprised no-one suggested this before XD this seems like the best compromise.

I'm a bit surprised we had 35 pages worth of a lot of support,quite a few no supports for various reasons,one or two rude no supports and this never came into play until now. I don't really see the point of making this change but I don't object to it. I also don't need anyone to explain it to me since I have my reasons.
Does it really matter? If we go back to the very first post where the OP claims that this is a pure issue with how the word is used in context, i found this piece of information:

The distinction between sex and gender differentiates sex, the biological makeup of an individual's reproductive anatomy or secondary sex characteristics, from gender, an individual's lifestyle (often culturally learned) or personal identification of one's own gender (gender identity).[1][2] This distinction is not universal. In ordinary speech, sex and gender are often used interchangeably.[3][4] Some dictionaries and academic disciplines give them different definitions while others do not. (from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction)

Since it seems this forum is not focused on scientific or sociological issues, and from what I've seen in almost every post here, the speech in here is very informal, thus sex and gender can be used interchangeably.

Also these are cartoon dragons that use reeptiles as their insspiration, and unlike with most other animals, reptiles usually don't have any distinguishing marks that show which reptile is male and which one female. All reproductive organs are internal, and you literally would have to examine the inside of their cloaca to find out what they are.
Does it really matter? If we go back to the very first post where the OP claims that this is a pure issue with how the word is used in context, i found this piece of information:

The distinction between sex and gender differentiates sex, the biological makeup of an individual's reproductive anatomy or secondary sex characteristics, from gender, an individual's lifestyle (often culturally learned) or personal identification of one's own gender (gender identity).[1][2] This distinction is not universal. In ordinary speech, sex and gender are often used interchangeably.[3][4] Some dictionaries and academic disciplines give them different definitions while others do not. (from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction)

Since it seems this forum is not focused on scientific or sociological issues, and from what I've seen in almost every post here, the speech in here is very informal, thus sex and gender can be used interchangeably.

Also these are cartoon dragons that use reeptiles as their insspiration, and unlike with most other animals, reptiles usually don't have any distinguishing marks that show which reptile is male and which one female. All reproductive organs are internal, and you literally would have to examine the inside of their cloaca to find out what they are.
According to wikipedia I fit the profile of a bipolar, agoraphobic, dyslexic, depressed, ADHD, borderline, arachnophobic, claustrophobic, introvert, and extrovert person. Maybe I should go see a doctor to make sure.
I may also be fat because of thyroid/liver/bulimia/distorted anorexia/untreated gluttony and I think I also fit the demisexual profile. and I thought being a former catholic was complicated enough :(
Support, even though I honestly could care less. I'm all for clarity, if that helps. It doesn't affect me at all, but I'm sure a lot of people find this important and relevant.
Support, even though I honestly could care less. I'm all for clarity, if that helps. It doesn't affect me at all, but I'm sure a lot of people find this important and relevant.
LRGcw0O.gifnJTGYTQ.pngA0h640T.gif
Support. I do not take offense to this but I can see why some people think it is a problem.
Support. I do not take offense to this but I can see why some people think it is a problem.
Huge support, but it will likely never be changed, given the administration's history with this sort of thing.
Huge support, but it will likely never be changed, given the administration's history with this sort of thing.
MuwAAse.png
To me SEX is an Activity.....
Though it can mean male or female. If I am talking about SEX I am not speaking of Male or Female. It is just not what pops into my head first.

To me when I hear GENDER is Male or Female....

Also when you are talking Gender in a way as I have read in the few posts that I did you say it is how you 'Identify' male or female. If a biological female wants to identify as male, that is up to them, likewise with a male identifying themselves as a female.

We are not talking real life here people. Using the word Gender is fine on this website because any Dragon that is Gender male will always be identified as a MALE dragon and any Dragon that is Gender female will always be identified as a FEMALE.

I do not think that our female dragon images will identify themselves as male or the male images will identify themselves as female unless the owner writes it into the dragon bio. Other than that, when we are looking for the Gender of a dragon, we all know Males are Males and Females are Females.

In the end this entire thread is splitting hairs over semantics.

There is enough else that needs to be corrected on this site other than just a simple use of a word which can certainly mean what it does.
To me SEX is an Activity.....
Though it can mean male or female. If I am talking about SEX I am not speaking of Male or Female. It is just not what pops into my head first.

To me when I hear GENDER is Male or Female....

Also when you are talking Gender in a way as I have read in the few posts that I did you say it is how you 'Identify' male or female. If a biological female wants to identify as male, that is up to them, likewise with a male identifying themselves as a female.

We are not talking real life here people. Using the word Gender is fine on this website because any Dragon that is Gender male will always be identified as a MALE dragon and any Dragon that is Gender female will always be identified as a FEMALE.

I do not think that our female dragon images will identify themselves as male or the male images will identify themselves as female unless the owner writes it into the dragon bio. Other than that, when we are looking for the Gender of a dragon, we all know Males are Males and Females are Females.

In the end this entire thread is splitting hairs over semantics.

There is enough else that needs to be corrected on this site other than just a simple use of a word which can certainly mean what it does.
I support this
I support this
tumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro1_250.gif
I agree with Qnyxz. To be honest, I certainly don't mind either and I get how gender might pluck at a string or two but if the admins even consider this at all (nah not trying to be rude, but like they're doing a ton of stuff) it'll probably be done way, way later.

I think this is a valid suggestion though! It'll certainly be interesting to see how people would react if they did end up doing it later on.
I agree with Qnyxz. To be honest, I certainly don't mind either and I get how gender might pluck at a string or two but if the admins even consider this at all (nah not trying to be rude, but like they're doing a ton of stuff) it'll probably be done way, way later.

I think this is a valid suggestion though! It'll certainly be interesting to see how people would react if they did end up doing it later on.
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 46 47