Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Asexual dragon behavior?
1 2 3 4
I’m aromantic and asexual personally.. i have characters who would be also but I don’t bother labelling them. It is for me just the complete absence of that drive in general, guess it just never developed .. I don’t ever really think about it unless it is brought up. I have more important stuff to worry about LOL

Anyway It’s only as significant in life as you want it to be generally. I could see it coming off a bit forced if explicitly brought up in text .
I think just write her as you would any other dragon ....minus the self indulgent stuff maybe haha
I’m aromantic and asexual personally.. i have characters who would be also but I don’t bother labelling them. It is for me just the complete absence of that drive in general, guess it just never developed .. I don’t ever really think about it unless it is brought up. I have more important stuff to worry about LOL

Anyway It’s only as significant in life as you want it to be generally. I could see it coming off a bit forced if explicitly brought up in text .
I think just write her as you would any other dragon ....minus the self indulgent stuff maybe haha
913838e5875d1fe03b54e876ed96d2fa-d4dlfhr.gif f517179564ce3d45f0aa2355e691649f-d2zu3yg.gif qlIJQn5.gif 4e2d90d6b978fd47c7e81bfd0df7754f-d4bw19d.gif 2bf8ca5030d719d32430fa7948b469d3-d4h1cbf.gif
@Hisscale The words used for orientations have nothing to do with marketing. It's valid if you don't like labels, and you shouldn't ever be pressured into feeling like you have to use them. Abstaining is no more 'cringy' than electing to use them. As we still live in a world where homophobia and transphobia are both personal and systematic problems, declaring your orientation, gender, etc without shame is often a matter of reclaiming pride, self-acceptance, and self-love for many people, and that's pretty great!
@Hisscale The words used for orientations have nothing to do with marketing. It's valid if you don't like labels, and you shouldn't ever be pressured into feeling like you have to use them. Abstaining is no more 'cringy' than electing to use them. As we still live in a world where homophobia and transphobia are both personal and systematic problems, declaring your orientation, gender, etc without shame is often a matter of reclaiming pride, self-acceptance, and self-love for many people, and that's pretty great!
Die of Bargaining julien
. they/them
. sapphic
. witch
. avatar
[quote name="Queerly" date="2020-06-14 03:40:42" ] @/hisscale The words used for orientations have nothing to do with marketing. It's valid if you don't like labels, and you shouldn't ever be pressured into feeling like you have to use them. Abstaining is no more 'cringy' than electing to use them. As we still live in a world where homophobia and transphobia are both personal and systematic problems, declaring your orientation, gender, etc without shame is often a matter of reclaiming pride, self-acceptance, and self-love for many people, and that's pretty great! [/quote] As someone who is incompatible with most people, I'd also like to add that "marketing" (wouldn't be my choice of words but ok) is a pretty great way to avoid problems. Why not just let people know I'll never be interested in them from the start? It's not like I go shouting it from the rooftops but handling unrequited love really sucks. Some people waste so much time gathering up courage to ask me out when it was just never gonna work. Sometimes it's impolite but sometimes it's just common sense.
Queerly wrote on 2020-06-14 03:40:42:
@/hisscale The words used for orientations have nothing to do with marketing. It's valid if you don't like labels, and you shouldn't ever be pressured into feeling like you have to use them. Abstaining is no more 'cringy' than electing to use them. As we still live in a world where homophobia and transphobia are both personal and systematic problems, declaring your orientation, gender, etc without shame is often a matter of reclaiming pride, self-acceptance, and self-love for many people, and that's pretty great!
As someone who is incompatible with most people, I'd also like to add that "marketing" (wouldn't be my choice of words but ok) is a pretty great way to avoid problems. Why not just let people know I'll never be interested in them from the start? It's not like I go shouting it from the rooftops but handling unrequited love really sucks. Some people waste so much time gathering up courage to ask me out when it was just never gonna work. Sometimes it's impolite but sometimes it's just common sense.
I'm ace and I'm basically just like any other person except I get really uncomfortable when it comes to touching and stuff like that. I like getting my hair brushed by other people and sometimes hugs if I know the person really well but that's about how far I'll go. It's different with a lot of people some might really like hugs but just not other things, stuff like that.

Tbh it shouldn't really affect anything with your dragon.
I'm ace and I'm basically just like any other person except I get really uncomfortable when it comes to touching and stuff like that. I like getting my hair brushed by other people and sometimes hugs if I know the person really well but that's about how far I'll go. It's different with a lot of people some might really like hugs but just not other things, stuff like that.

akueye3.png
aroace myself here, the only difference between straight and asexual people is that asexual people don't want to do the thing, and the only difference between aromantic and straight people is that they don't want romantic relationships. the only effect being asexual and aromantic should have on your dragon's behavior is just not having or wanting a mate. nothing else. ace/aro orientation has absolutely no effect on opinions towards children, an aro and/or ace person can love or hate or want children just as much as any other person, so her being ace/aro will not have any effect whatsoever on her feelings or behavior towards the hatchlings that come from your mass-hatch. ace just means not wanting to preform the specific action that leads to said hatchlings and aro just means not wanting a romantic partner, nothing more. neither have anything to do with parenting desires, those are something separate from sexual orientation and desire, and neither affects any part of the personality either.
i'm oversimplifying horribly so if you want to know more in-depth you'd probably better off doing some googling, it's kind of hard to explain all in one go because people tend to make a lot of assumptions about what you're trying to say when you go to explain it, also fr makes it really hard to talk about because the rules are really iffy on discussion of the certain 3 letter word in the middle of "asexual" which discussion of is essential to properly understanding the concept.
aroace myself here, the only difference between straight and asexual people is that asexual people don't want to do the thing, and the only difference between aromantic and straight people is that they don't want romantic relationships. the only effect being asexual and aromantic should have on your dragon's behavior is just not having or wanting a mate. nothing else. ace/aro orientation has absolutely no effect on opinions towards children, an aro and/or ace person can love or hate or want children just as much as any other person, so her being ace/aro will not have any effect whatsoever on her feelings or behavior towards the hatchlings that come from your mass-hatch. ace just means not wanting to preform the specific action that leads to said hatchlings and aro just means not wanting a romantic partner, nothing more. neither have anything to do with parenting desires, those are something separate from sexual orientation and desire, and neither affects any part of the personality either.
i'm oversimplifying horribly so if you want to know more in-depth you'd probably better off doing some googling, it's kind of hard to explain all in one go because people tend to make a lot of assumptions about what you're trying to say when you go to explain it, also fr makes it really hard to talk about because the rules are really iffy on discussion of the certain 3 letter word in the middle of "asexual" which discussion of is essential to properly understanding the concept.
ImLwTCX.png My Dragon Search Thread
[quote name="ThanosBottomText" date="2020-06-14 04:10:34" ] I'm ace and I'm basically just like any other person except I get really uncomfortable when it comes to touching and stuff like that. I like getting my hair brushed by other people and sometimes hugs if I know the person really well but that's about how far I'll go. It's different with a lot of people some might really like hugs but just not other things, stuff like that. Tbh it shouldn't really affect anything with your dragon. [/quote] This ^ your dragon wouldn't act any differently besides not wanting a romantic relationship. Of course it depends on the person, like for example, I'm usually uncomfortable with anything physical (hugging, etc.) unless it's with my close friends, and I don't want a relationship. EDIT: this wouldn't really effect any sort of thing like wanting to have a kid (adopting) or anything of the sort, but you should do some more research online and take a look at several different views of not only ace/aro people, but of all kinds! It's okay to ask, though! Especially since you were raised in a household that didn't agree with LGBTQ+, I understand that it could be difficult to learn about such things.
ThanosBottomText wrote on 2020-06-14 04:10:34:

This ^ your dragon wouldn't act any differently besides not wanting a romantic relationship. Of course it depends on the person, like for example, I'm usually uncomfortable with anything physical (hugging, etc.) unless it's with my close friends, and I don't want a relationship.

EDIT: this wouldn't really effect any sort of thing like wanting to have a kid (adopting) or anything of the sort, but you should do some more research online and take a look at several different views of not only ace/aro people, but of all kinds!

It's okay to ask, though! Especially since you were raised in a household that didn't agree with LGBTQ+, I understand that it could be difficult to learn about such things.
bopkvX7.png6uOrxEk.pnglPoxjfq.pngI90HedT.png4BDFKZ4.png

Ace means they find the act repulsive. They can experience sexual attraction, can romance just fine but when it comes down to it, the actual act is a big 'no'.

Aro means they don't feel romantic attraction in addition to that so you're left with a character who has no interest in dating or sex.

Personally, I think that getting babies without having to worry about all that that is repulsive but necessary would be a great relief.

Ace means they find the act repulsive. They can experience sexual attraction, can romance just fine but when it comes down to it, the actual act is a big 'no'.

Aro means they don't feel romantic attraction in addition to that so you're left with a character who has no interest in dating or sex.

Personally, I think that getting babies without having to worry about all that that is repulsive but necessary would be a great relief.
Y3kY2LN.png
I'm (somewhere on the) ace/aro (spectrum)
Even though I know intellectually that most people feel the attraction thing, not feeling any sort of attraction feels like the default to me. It's like, feeling attraction is just an extra feature. Most people have it but some don't.

I guess we just see it from a different perspective. To you (and to most people), not being attracted to others seems like an extra feature. To me, being attracted to others seems like an extra feature.

Idk, I explained that really poorly
I'm (somewhere on the) ace/aro (spectrum)
Even though I know intellectually that most people feel the attraction thing, not feeling any sort of attraction feels like the default to me. It's like, feeling attraction is just an extra feature. Most people have it but some don't.

I guess we just see it from a different perspective. To you (and to most people), not being attracted to others seems like an extra feature. To me, being attracted to others seems like an extra feature.

Idk, I explained that really poorly
Giveaway
Hi! I am aro/ace!

Like everyone else, your dragon would really behave as she would in any other situation based off of her personality. Personally I don't make it my whole personality just because I hate explaining myself to others. Some things maybe to consider (with respect to her aro/ace-ness) are these:

-How does she feel about young dragons in general?
-Does she want children?
-Is she motherly in any way?
-How much would she be willing to take care of hatchlings?

For me, I'd personally answer those as follows:

-I really don't like little kids at all, they are noisy and gross and impossible to deal with.
-I definitely do not want children o-O I actually have a huge fear of being pregnant (weird I know, thanks anxiety) so I'd never have biological children, and I have no interest in adopting.
-I am not motherly at all haha I don't like caring for younger people, I find it tiresome and not rewarding at all.
-Not at all to the point where even if I was offered money to babysit I wouldn't do it.

Of course the answers to these can be very different for each aro/ace individual! For the record I've felt this way about children way before I know what being aro/ace was, so I don't feel this way because I'm aro/ace, but I do believe that subconsciously it does play a part.

Sorry that got really long, but I hope it helps!!

Edit: I want to correct some things I'm seeing in above comments, for example this:

"Ace means they find the act repulsive. They can experience sexual attraction, can romance just fine but when it comes down to it, the actual act is a big 'no'."

That's incorrect, it's actually the other way around! Aces can be completely sex-favorable or sex-repulsed. I personally am the latter. The requirement for being ace is to experience no sexual attraction. One's opinion on the act can be vastly different from each other, whether that is to please a partner or whatever other reason may exist.
Hi! I am aro/ace!

Like everyone else, your dragon would really behave as she would in any other situation based off of her personality. Personally I don't make it my whole personality just because I hate explaining myself to others. Some things maybe to consider (with respect to her aro/ace-ness) are these:

-How does she feel about young dragons in general?
-Does she want children?
-Is she motherly in any way?
-How much would she be willing to take care of hatchlings?

For me, I'd personally answer those as follows:

-I really don't like little kids at all, they are noisy and gross and impossible to deal with.
-I definitely do not want children o-O I actually have a huge fear of being pregnant (weird I know, thanks anxiety) so I'd never have biological children, and I have no interest in adopting.
-I am not motherly at all haha I don't like caring for younger people, I find it tiresome and not rewarding at all.
-Not at all to the point where even if I was offered money to babysit I wouldn't do it.

Of course the answers to these can be very different for each aro/ace individual! For the record I've felt this way about children way before I know what being aro/ace was, so I don't feel this way because I'm aro/ace, but I do believe that subconsciously it does play a part.

Sorry that got really long, but I hope it helps!!

Edit: I want to correct some things I'm seeing in above comments, for example this:

"Ace means they find the act repulsive. They can experience sexual attraction, can romance just fine but when it comes down to it, the actual act is a big 'no'."

That's incorrect, it's actually the other way around! Aces can be completely sex-favorable or sex-repulsed. I personally am the latter. The requirement for being ace is to experience no sexual attraction. One's opinion on the act can be vastly different from each other, whether that is to please a partner or whatever other reason may exist.
Art Shop
Hatchery

celebi.giftumblr_inline_n2t76ssIwF1r9ywrd.gifshadow.gif
@Shian Actually you got Ace reversed! The core definition is that Ace people (like myself) don't feel sexual attraction. Everything else is on a per-person basis, so some aces are okay with the act while some are repulsed or indifferent to it.

Edit: @EWSpirit ninja'd me But yess your info is great and is a really in-depth and clear explanation about it!
@Shian Actually you got Ace reversed! The core definition is that Ace people (like myself) don't feel sexual attraction. Everything else is on a per-person basis, so some aces are okay with the act while some are repulsed or indifferent to it.

Edit: @EWSpirit ninja'd me But yess your info is great and is a really in-depth and clear explanation about it!
exl1.pngqAZgY0h.pngLXQ5Ih1.pngwg00sIS.png10FXer7.pngU9lx3R6.pngexl2.pnggEvXGc7.pngStoat-7114-135-0-51-1-140.png
Hex0gCq.png
1 2 3 4