Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | 7th Anniversary: Dragon Profile Revamp
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 212 213
[quote name="Astr0fish" date="2020-06-08 08:19:21" ] [quote name="Celeana" date="2020-06-08 08:18:33" ] [quote name="Amayai" date="2020-06-08 06:59:08" ] Apparel being the first thing you see in the dragon's page? 0/10. From a design perspective, your eye enters the dragon page from the apparel. It's not so bad because it seems constrained to the bottom left area, which is gestalt-wise the least important and memorable, but it's certainly not more important than the dragon's info (hatchday, length, genes), which got renegated to the bottom row. Apparel is unimportant unless a viewer is specifically looking for a piece's name, and it's redundant to have apparel and the dragon wearing the apparel in the same "most important" row of the profile page. My point: Apparel and dragon info should switch places. The rest of the revamp is absolutely gorgeous. But apparel is not important enough to be the first thing you see in a dragon's page, besides being redundant since the dragon's image is already wearing the apparel.[/quote] I agree with this, especially on dragons that are wearing little or no apparel, so all I see are a bunch of dashed squares. [img]https://i.imgur.com/AeabKn9.png[/img] I'd much rather see the genes, tbh. I know you wanted "customizable" things towards the top, but when I look at other people's lairs, it's the genes that I'm probably going to be looking at, which is hard enough if they have 10 slots of apparel over them. And isn't customizing the genes a bigger part of the game than apparel, since the genes are what gets passed on to the hatchlings? Here's my suggestion: [b]Top row:[/b] dragon info, dragon, familiar [b]Middle row:[/b] apparel, lineage, battle info? That way, the two items with pictures can be on the outside edges, with the progeny list to divide them and balance them out. Sorry to sound kind of negative. I love everything else that you unveiled today, and I appreciate your hard work year round. Being able to see the battle stats is going to make everyone's life a lot easier. And there have been a lot of great developments this year - The Game Database is golden! And a Lovecraftian coli venue? Count me in! But I'm just a bit bummed about this since this change so prominent in game play. [/quote] 100% agree with this. Its a lot of clutter in a small amount of space, and its pretty hard to read. [/quote] urgh yes! and not only the clutter but the dotted lines are not a good choice, ive seen it mentioned that it makes the page feel like its constantly in an edit mode, and shows up with no familiar too. You put a giant dotted box next to the dragon that screams hey!!! put something here!!! like the dragon's profile is incomplete without filling all apparel slots and having a familiar. an empty box should NOT be the first thing you look at. i also kinda was partial to the off-white yellowy color of the prior layout, it was definitely warmer and prettier to look at, though the scenes kinda fix this
Astr0fish wrote on 2020-06-08 08:19:21:
Celeana wrote on 2020-06-08 08:18:33:
Amayai wrote on 2020-06-08 06:59:08:

Apparel being the first thing you see in the dragon's page? 0/10. From a design perspective, your eye enters the dragon page from the apparel. It's not so bad because it seems constrained to the bottom left area, which is gestalt-wise the least important and memorable, but it's certainly not more important than the dragon's info (hatchday, length, genes), which got renegated to the bottom row. Apparel is unimportant unless a viewer is specifically looking for a piece's name, and it's redundant to have apparel and the dragon wearing the apparel in the same "most important" row of the profile page.

My point: Apparel and dragon info should switch places. The rest of the revamp is absolutely gorgeous. But apparel is not important enough to be the first thing you see in a dragon's page, besides being redundant since the dragon's image is already wearing the apparel.

I agree with this, especially on dragons that are wearing little or no apparel, so all I see are a bunch of dashed squares.

AeabKn9.png

I'd much rather see the genes, tbh. I know you wanted "customizable" things towards the top, but when I look at other people's lairs, it's the genes that I'm probably going to be looking at, which is hard enough if they have 10 slots of apparel over them. And isn't customizing the genes a bigger part of the game than apparel, since the genes are what gets passed on to the hatchlings?

Here's my suggestion:

Top row: dragon info, dragon, familiar
Middle row: apparel, lineage, battle info? That way, the two items with pictures can be on the outside edges, with the progeny list to divide them and balance them out.

Sorry to sound kind of negative. I love everything else that you unveiled today, and I appreciate your hard work year round. Being able to see the battle stats is going to make everyone's life a lot easier. And there have been a lot of great developments this year - The Game Database is golden! And a Lovecraftian coli venue? Count me in! But I'm just a bit bummed about this since this change so prominent in game play.

100% agree with this. Its a lot of clutter in a small amount of space, and its pretty hard to read.

urgh yes! and not only the clutter but the dotted lines are not a good choice, ive seen it mentioned that it makes the page feel like its constantly in an edit mode, and shows up with no familiar too. You put a giant dotted box next to the dragon that screams hey!!! put something here!!! like the dragon's profile is incomplete without filling all apparel slots and having a familiar. an empty box should NOT be the first thing you look at.

i also kinda was partial to the off-white yellowy color of the prior layout, it was definitely warmer and prettier to look at, though the scenes kinda fix this
CAeUbri.png
Thank you for the new look and item type! Mixed feelings, mostly positive.

I like the idea of customizable backgrounds for dragons. Would like the art was a touch bolder once applied, but I can still appreciate the original view from the inventory preview.

Overall I like the new bio pages. Seeing battle stones is helpful. New opportunity to see a variety of builds and such as well as verify on a sale if a dragon has any stones. My eyes really would like the lineage box aligned center though, there's so much blank space in it.

Familiar naming is a cute idea, one that has been asked for on occasion so thank you for implementing another userbase wish.

Appreciate one of the first scene rollouts is a boneyard but a touch sad that it's so green, although again the art is gorgeous, and it was in fact the first one I bought. It's similarly colored to the Boneyard vista which can be matched on the profile pages, which is nice. It just touches om my apprehension that the map update will come with the plaguelands shrouded in green smog to soften its current state. Please don't blanket plague anymore than it already is.

Happy Anniversary!
Thank you for the new look and item type! Mixed feelings, mostly positive.

I like the idea of customizable backgrounds for dragons. Would like the art was a touch bolder once applied, but I can still appreciate the original view from the inventory preview.

Overall I like the new bio pages. Seeing battle stones is helpful. New opportunity to see a variety of builds and such as well as verify on a sale if a dragon has any stones. My eyes really would like the lineage box aligned center though, there's so much blank space in it.

Familiar naming is a cute idea, one that has been asked for on occasion so thank you for implementing another userbase wish.

Appreciate one of the first scene rollouts is a boneyard but a touch sad that it's so green, although again the art is gorgeous, and it was in fact the first one I bought. It's similarly colored to the Boneyard vista which can be matched on the profile pages, which is nice. It just touches om my apprehension that the map update will come with the plaguelands shrouded in green smog to soften its current state. Please don't blanket plague anymore than it already is.

Happy Anniversary!
32392442p.png66416996p.png83684589p.png75459369p.png78722162p.png70636041p.png64470764p.png
[quote name="Jerepasaurus" date="2020-06-08 08:36:46" ] [quote name="RoyalSorceress" date="2020-06-08 07:37:51" ] Second post- You know, I thought about it, and I actually have a suggestion! For those of you who remember older deviantART (sorry for the comparison, I can think of nothing else at the moment) we used to have these things called Widgets. They were pre-determined boxes of information. If Flight Rising made the Apparel Section a Widget, the Familiar a Widget, the Physical Info, etc etc (you see where I'm going with this) and allowed players to move those where they saw fit around and below the dragon, I think that would make for a better display option. I still also stand by allowing for the following edits: Changing text size (possibly font) Changing image size (particularly the familiar) Allowing Widgets to be collapsed so that a click will 'reopen' them (like the apparel section) And general edits, such as but not limited to, changing the size/placement of the energy bar and where buttons to feed fall and such These are just my suggestions after some consideration! I hope those of you enjoying the layout can continue to do so, but I also hope for folks like me who want some change, that a future (and hopefully nearby edit) will allow for some modifications. Happy 7th year anniversary FR. Thank you for being my safe place to have fun and enjoy my interwebs hobby for years. <3 [/quote] I LITERALLY JUST MADE THIS SUGGESTION! :D Glad to see someone else remembers how custom-friendly DA was back in the better days over there. [/quote] I love the new layout but I do second this suggestion, I think it would be great to give us some control over what we want to be important and viewed first in our dragon's profiles =)
Jerepasaurus wrote on 2020-06-08 08:36:46:
RoyalSorceress wrote on 2020-06-08 07:37:51:
Second post-

You know, I thought about it, and I actually have a suggestion!

For those of you who remember older deviantART (sorry for the comparison, I can think of nothing else at the moment) we used to have these things called Widgets. They were pre-determined boxes of information.

If Flight Rising made the Apparel Section a Widget, the Familiar a Widget, the Physical Info, etc etc (you see where I'm going with this) and allowed players to move those where they saw fit around and below the dragon, I think that would make for a better display option.

I still also stand by allowing for the following edits:
Changing text size (possibly font)
Changing image size (particularly the familiar)
Allowing Widgets to be collapsed so that a click will 'reopen' them (like the apparel section)
And general edits, such as but not limited to, changing the size/placement of the energy bar and where buttons to feed fall and such

These are just my suggestions after some consideration! I hope those of you enjoying the layout can continue to do so, but I also hope for folks like me who want some change, that a future (and hopefully nearby edit) will allow for some modifications.

Happy 7th year anniversary FR. Thank you for being my safe place to have fun and enjoy my interwebs hobby for years. <3

I LITERALLY JUST MADE THIS SUGGESTION! :D
Glad to see someone else remembers how custom-friendly DA was back in the better days over there.

I love the new layout but I do second this suggestion, I think it would be great to give us some control over what we want to be important and viewed first in our dragon's profiles =)
This update is a grand gift. Seeing the Site Refactor Update, a new site element to chase down (scenes) and an element I'm sure not many care about but me is the change to dragon likes. Using the FB button was broken and terrible. I am very happy to see this fixed and having it function again.
This is a fantastic update with many QOL features that are enjoyed.

Not sure if I like the apparel list being the first thing you see on a dragon page. Hmmm.... maybe it's something to get used to? Pretty happy that someone can no longer con someone else into what stones a dragon wears when selling.
This update is a grand gift. Seeing the Site Refactor Update, a new site element to chase down (scenes) and an element I'm sure not many care about but me is the change to dragon likes. Using the FB button was broken and terrible. I am very happy to see this fixed and having it function again.
This is a fantastic update with many QOL features that are enjoyed.

Not sure if I like the apparel list being the first thing you see on a dragon page. Hmmm.... maybe it's something to get used to? Pretty happy that someone can no longer con someone else into what stones a dragon wears when selling.
Y3kY2LN.png
Oh YES oh my god I’ve wanted scenes for so long
already bought the autumn one lol
Oh YES oh my god I’ve wanted scenes for so long
already bought the autumn one lol
r7LsxK2.png
I am impatiently waiting for the fabulous royal chambers scene to cook in Baldwin's pot. So glad I had the right items and can't wait to use it on a suitable dragon.
I am impatiently waiting for the fabulous royal chambers scene to cook in Baldwin's pot. So glad I had the right items and can't wait to use it on a suitable dragon.
April showers bring forth May flowers
Happy anniversary! Thank you so much Flight Rising staff who bust their bottoms creating this amazing game!

I 100% love that we got backgrounds! I'd been hoping for that for a long time!

Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with many others that I don't like the new dragon page layout. I'm sorry. I'm gonna try and be constructive with my criticisms.

1. I don't like the apparel box being at the top. I only sometimes use apparel so box of empty boxes isn't very flattering. When I do I'm not really interested in showcasing in a box what I used. I want to showcase it on my dragon! With that said I think it's important that players be able to see what what used to create and outfit/look but I feel that could be lower or even in a drop down menu. Otherwise it just feels like it's constantly in a sort of customization mode.

2. It's very cluttered looking. I don't really know where to look because there's a lot going on. Not that the options we've now been given aren't great (THEY ARE), but it's a lot to throw on a page especially if some of the new options aren't something a player will use often or ever. (Personally I don't see myself using the single dragon feed option, but others will probably use it)

3. I want more space around my dragon. My dragons image is my number one priority, but right now if feel like it's competing with everything else on the page. However I do like the closer proximity of the familiar and that we can name them!!!!

Once again thank you to all the Flight Rising staff I want you to know how much I appreciate you!

Happy anniversary! Thank you so much Flight Rising staff who bust their bottoms creating this amazing game!

I 100% love that we got backgrounds! I'd been hoping for that for a long time!

Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with many others that I don't like the new dragon page layout. I'm sorry. I'm gonna try and be constructive with my criticisms.

1. I don't like the apparel box being at the top. I only sometimes use apparel so box of empty boxes isn't very flattering. When I do I'm not really interested in showcasing in a box what I used. I want to showcase it on my dragon! With that said I think it's important that players be able to see what what used to create and outfit/look but I feel that could be lower or even in a drop down menu. Otherwise it just feels like it's constantly in a sort of customization mode.

2. It's very cluttered looking. I don't really know where to look because there's a lot going on. Not that the options we've now been given aren't great (THEY ARE), but it's a lot to throw on a page especially if some of the new options aren't something a player will use often or ever. (Personally I don't see myself using the single dragon feed option, but others will probably use it)

3. I want more space around my dragon. My dragons image is my number one priority, but right now if feel like it's competing with everything else on the page. However I do like the closer proximity of the familiar and that we can name them!!!!

Once again thank you to all the Flight Rising staff I want you to know how much I appreciate you!

oh wow 7 years already
oh wow 7 years already
Happy anniversary everyone! This update is amazing and something I’ve long awaited. Thank you mods and developers for all your hard work at making this game incredible over the years. Here’s to more years of continued fun!

EDIT: after exploring the new feature a little bit, there are a few things I think would benefit from some revision. I'll make a detailed revamp/layout and post it here later, once I have time to sit down and manipulate images in photoshop :)

1. what's up with the vistas? I figured putting a vista on a dragon would show up around the tile on the main lair page, not down in the bio, as if the dragon is the poster of a forum post. I don't really like it since it causes the bio to be offcentered, and that messes up a lot of the formatting I have in my custom coded bios, since they aren't the same width as before. on mobile, the images also get cut off.

2. different button layout is... confusing, to say the least. one thing I'v elearned from my time in program development is that changing the design of a webpage is fine--new graphics and the like--but revising the layout of the icons themselves confuses longtime users who are used to where things are placed. to remedy this, something of the like could be done:

(image coming later)

this design keeps all the new additions, just restructures them so they aren't so different from the old layout. that way, there's somewhat less confusion overall.

3. more tiles/dividers are needed. This may just be a personal thing, but quite frankly, I find the second section of a dragon bio very... busy. there's a lot going on there--stuff that was all previously condensed into one tile is now in a whole section, with no borders/dividers, just one small bolded header for each. this is a lot of space to fill with important info, and it all blurs together into a text blob when I stare at it for a long time. Personally, something like the old tile would be appreciated, except around each. here's what I mean:

(image to come later, again)

4. one more tiny tiny thing. apparel tile placement and functionality. I like the idea of the new apparel tile and I enjoy how it's laid out. the two critiques I have about it are this:
  • it should probably be on the other side of or down below the dragon. having it where it is currently means that the dragon's page looks off center, since the business of items on each side is poorly balanced.
  • the little dotted line tiles should be clickable, and take me directly to the "add apparel" page. having an interim page is irritating and is almost twice the amount of buttons I had to click previously. not a huge fan, especially since I use FR mostly on mobile, and clicking buttons on mobile is frustrating. this idea also goes for the vista and scene functions. (addendum: the change familiar button should go back by the "bod with familiar" feature, where it always was)

these are just some critiques I have, and by no means intend to offend. I plan on making a more in-depth post about this later, again, when I have tome to sketch up my ideas. :)

that said, there are a lot of things I love. I won't go to in depth with them, since this post is long already:
  1. Apparel sorting? yes please
  2. I can finally name my familiars!!!
  3. the SCENES. don't even get me started I've wanted this for so long. you have no idea how exciting this is.
Happy anniversary everyone! This update is amazing and something I’ve long awaited. Thank you mods and developers for all your hard work at making this game incredible over the years. Here’s to more years of continued fun!

EDIT: after exploring the new feature a little bit, there are a few things I think would benefit from some revision. I'll make a detailed revamp/layout and post it here later, once I have time to sit down and manipulate images in photoshop :)

1. what's up with the vistas? I figured putting a vista on a dragon would show up around the tile on the main lair page, not down in the bio, as if the dragon is the poster of a forum post. I don't really like it since it causes the bio to be offcentered, and that messes up a lot of the formatting I have in my custom coded bios, since they aren't the same width as before. on mobile, the images also get cut off.

2. different button layout is... confusing, to say the least. one thing I'v elearned from my time in program development is that changing the design of a webpage is fine--new graphics and the like--but revising the layout of the icons themselves confuses longtime users who are used to where things are placed. to remedy this, something of the like could be done:

(image coming later)

this design keeps all the new additions, just restructures them so they aren't so different from the old layout. that way, there's somewhat less confusion overall.

3. more tiles/dividers are needed. This may just be a personal thing, but quite frankly, I find the second section of a dragon bio very... busy. there's a lot going on there--stuff that was all previously condensed into one tile is now in a whole section, with no borders/dividers, just one small bolded header for each. this is a lot of space to fill with important info, and it all blurs together into a text blob when I stare at it for a long time. Personally, something like the old tile would be appreciated, except around each. here's what I mean:

(image to come later, again)

4. one more tiny tiny thing. apparel tile placement and functionality. I like the idea of the new apparel tile and I enjoy how it's laid out. the two critiques I have about it are this:
  • it should probably be on the other side of or down below the dragon. having it where it is currently means that the dragon's page looks off center, since the business of items on each side is poorly balanced.
  • the little dotted line tiles should be clickable, and take me directly to the "add apparel" page. having an interim page is irritating and is almost twice the amount of buttons I had to click previously. not a huge fan, especially since I use FR mostly on mobile, and clicking buttons on mobile is frustrating. this idea also goes for the vista and scene functions. (addendum: the change familiar button should go back by the "bod with familiar" feature, where it always was)

these are just some critiques I have, and by no means intend to offend. I plan on making a more in-depth post about this later, again, when I have tome to sketch up my ideas. :)

that said, there are a lot of things I love. I won't go to in depth with them, since this post is long already:
  1. Apparel sorting? yes please
  2. I can finally name my familiars!!!
  3. the SCENES. don't even get me started I've wanted this for so long. you have no idea how exciting this is.
[quote name="Banescale" date="2020-06-08 08:36:10" ] On further reflection, I would really like it if the apparel and physical info sections were swapped. I hardly use apparel, and the dotted squares are an absolute eyesore. I'd also really like to see a dragon's colors and eye type without having to scroll down the page. [/quote] Same. I was just coming to post this and saw you'd gotten there first.
Banescale wrote on 2020-06-08 08:36:10:
On further reflection, I would really like it if the apparel and physical info sections were swapped. I hardly use apparel, and the dotted squares are an absolute eyesore. I'd also really like to see a dragon's colors and eye type without having to scroll down the page.

Same. I was just coming to post this and saw you'd gotten there first.
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 212 213