Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Building computers?
1 2 3
Does anyone have experience building or upgrading computers? Because I'm going to need to upgrade mine before the games coming out in October and I need some help.l
Does anyone have experience building or upgrading computers? Because I'm going to need to upgrade mine before the games coming out in October and I need some help.l
Kat's Hatchery l Tumblr l Twinseer Breed
nwknls.jpg
I've taken computer tech classes and know how to build/put together a computer but as for what specs to use I'm not too sure. I haven't really kept up with all that.
I've taken computer tech classes and know how to build/put together a computer but as for what specs to use I'm not too sure. I haven't really kept up with all that.
What specifically do you need help with? Does anyone you know personally know anything about computer building? o:
What specifically do you need help with? Does anyone you know personally know anything about computer building? o:
I've built a computer or two in my day. What exactly do you need help with?
I've built a computer or two in my day. What exactly do you need help with?
Tumblr yo.
@chespin

Nope. I moved to a new town and I literally know NO ONE here (despite living here for about half a year now)

I need help with upgrading. I want to keep my current case, motherboard, and hard drive, and upgrade my ram, processor, and gpu.
@chespin

Nope. I moved to a new town and I literally know NO ONE here (despite living here for about half a year now)

I need help with upgrading. I want to keep my current case, motherboard, and hard drive, and upgrade my ram, processor, and gpu.
nwknls.jpg
@KatieKat ooh those are some of the easiest things to upgrade and I definitely wouldn't think it too daunting. Do you know what kind of ram you have and need? GPU will depend on what you personally want it for. And your processor will depend on what kind of motherboard you have. I don't know how much you know, so I don't know how much help I can be XD Buuuut there's tons of resources online, computer building is pretty easy (though it can be scary the first time) and it's pretty fun.
@KatieKat ooh those are some of the easiest things to upgrade and I definitely wouldn't think it too daunting. Do you know what kind of ram you have and need? GPU will depend on what you personally want it for. And your processor will depend on what kind of motherboard you have. I don't know how much you know, so I don't know how much help I can be XD Buuuut there's tons of resources online, computer building is pretty easy (though it can be scary the first time) and it's pretty fun.
I've looked at some resources and I've had some trouble parsing it. There's just a LOT, and it can be hard to tell the difference between "Here's what you NEED to know before building your first computer" and "Here's some other jargon and steps you can take if you want to completely optimize and have a god-machine."

I'm not on my computer right now (on the laptop) so I'll look up the motherboard later.

Basically, I'm just looking for parts suggestions for what to build.
I've looked at some resources and I've had some trouble parsing it. There's just a LOT, and it can be hard to tell the difference between "Here's what you NEED to know before building your first computer" and "Here's some other jargon and steps you can take if you want to completely optimize and have a god-machine."

I'm not on my computer right now (on the laptop) so I'll look up the motherboard later.

Basically, I'm just looking for parts suggestions for what to build.
nwknls.jpg
I've been building 'em since I was six. 23 now! (My dad turned it into a way to keep me not bored during summer.)

So! Are you looking to build a full on gaming computer, or a gaming computer that will be used for other not so intense things? Because the two are WIDLY different.

And if full on gaming computer, how much are you willing to pay for parts, and which parts do you think you'll need to replace, and how much are you willing to replace, and do you have a computer friend that will help? Because it's all very confusing once you get into a full on gaming computer. You need a cooler (Either fans or water) and then there's...well. THERE'S A LOT.

/computer nerd. o/
I've been building 'em since I was six. 23 now! (My dad turned it into a way to keep me not bored during summer.)

So! Are you looking to build a full on gaming computer, or a gaming computer that will be used for other not so intense things? Because the two are WIDLY different.

And if full on gaming computer, how much are you willing to pay for parts, and which parts do you think you'll need to replace, and how much are you willing to replace, and do you have a computer friend that will help? Because it's all very confusing once you get into a full on gaming computer. You need a cooler (Either fans or water) and then there's...well. THERE'S A LOT.

/computer nerd. o/
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
@Amura

I'm looking to build a computer that can do other things. I want to be able to play the games coming out in October (Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, among others) and have it look and run well, but I'm not looking to build a god-machine.

Actually, I'm not really looking to BUILD anything. I'm looking to take my current desktop (which was made for last gen games) and upgrade the processor, the RAM, the GPU, and the OS.
@Amura

I'm looking to build a computer that can do other things. I want to be able to play the games coming out in October (Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, among others) and have it look and run well, but I'm not looking to build a god-machine.

Actually, I'm not really looking to BUILD anything. I'm looking to take my current desktop (which was made for last gen games) and upgrade the processor, the RAM, the GPU, and the OS.
nwknls.jpg
I kinda build computers as a hobby, so...

Since you want to keep your motherboard and upgrade the CPU/GPU/RAM, what kind of motherboard do you have? What budget do you have for these things? RAM is cheap, so long as you have the right type. CPUs and GPUs both vary wildly depending on what you want to get out of it - you can get reasonable ones for $100-200, or pay several hundred dollars each for more higher-end stuff.
I kinda build computers as a hobby, so...

Since you want to keep your motherboard and upgrade the CPU/GPU/RAM, what kind of motherboard do you have? What budget do you have for these things? RAM is cheap, so long as you have the right type. CPUs and GPUs both vary wildly depending on what you want to get out of it - you can get reasonable ones for $100-200, or pay several hundred dollars each for more higher-end stuff.
I am on FR+2!
1 2 3