Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Keel: A New Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 81 82
Keel looks unfinished in my opinion. It looks like its missing a layer of shading. The familiars are VERY nice though
Keel looks unfinished in my opinion. It looks like its missing a layer of shading. The familiars are VERY nice though
Elsie | She / they|
I have a wishlist / trading thread! x
7J1Hgbi.pngYya65zH.pngy6Tz96p.png
Not to pile on with the entirety of the rest of the site, but I'm with the majority when I say I think this new gene is absolutely terrible! It has no cohesion, has barely any texture, and looks wildly out of place on any dragon. Some of the shading is off and doesn't look quite right, and while I'm a huge fan of the art team on the site and totally understand that genes are becoming VERY difficult to work on as time goes on, I would have preferred a massive wait time over... this!

Many examples of the gene have already been reworked and posted in this thread, and they are gorgeous! I worried that alterations to the Keel theme (sharp pointy scales) might overlap with Scales, but I'm super glad that other far more dextrous artists have been able to execute on the concept better than what I saw in my head. Haha!!

TLDR: I've been terribly disappointed with the last few genes, but I understand how difficult it is to crank them out, so I'm not about to "angry gamer man" at the FR art staff. The familiars have been so good though!!! Keep those coming!
Not to pile on with the entirety of the rest of the site, but I'm with the majority when I say I think this new gene is absolutely terrible! It has no cohesion, has barely any texture, and looks wildly out of place on any dragon. Some of the shading is off and doesn't look quite right, and while I'm a huge fan of the art team on the site and totally understand that genes are becoming VERY difficult to work on as time goes on, I would have preferred a massive wait time over... this!

Many examples of the gene have already been reworked and posted in this thread, and they are gorgeous! I worried that alterations to the Keel theme (sharp pointy scales) might overlap with Scales, but I'm super glad that other far more dextrous artists have been able to execute on the concept better than what I saw in my head. Haha!!

TLDR: I've been terribly disappointed with the last few genes, but I understand how difficult it is to crank them out, so I'm not about to "angry gamer man" at the FR art staff. The familiars have been so good though!!! Keep those coming!
hNr0fWQ.png
This gene is so interesting!! I can't wait to see more dragons with it and I'm so excited to get my own dragon with it!! Thank y'all for the amazing updates ;;; an those new familiars are great!
This gene is so interesting!! I can't wait to see more dragons with it and I'm so excited to get my own dragon with it!! Thank y'all for the amazing updates ;;; an those new familiars are great!
EiyvCa3.pngjcaoTSI.pngtumblr_inline_oqxzzokthn1r2ao8y_540.pngopqC37U.pngdz9CpZG.png
Lmao, this gene is so terrible that it's kind of endearing.

Really cute on Spiral males, I like that! It feels like Spiral males often get the short end of the stick when it comes to genes and apparel, so it's nice that a new gene works well on them!
Lmao, this gene is so terrible that it's kind of endearing.

Really cute on Spiral males, I like that! It feels like Spiral males often get the short end of the stick when it comes to genes and apparel, so it's nice that a new gene works well on them!
the new gene is really cool!!
the new gene is really cool!!
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
The ice ver looks so pretty //
The ice ver looks so pretty //
Lost power today & couldn't play with the new gene but I finally got it back & here are some gen1's i'm playing with so far! [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=87&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=8&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=118&tertgene=53&winggene=24&wings=10&auth=810c487d46069a73037b85e0cfce11643d961eca&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=24&breed=4&element=8&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=41&tertgene=53&winggene=25&wings=151&auth=03e351d696e3f2d5d916d26504db4f334ae93059&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=121&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=6&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=169&tertgene=53&winggene=42&wings=82&auth=67e8cd91375305e5b95e3006328b3b10046253c8&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Really like it & kind of what I was hoping for. I like genes that can work with colors that can be seen as 'difficult' in terms of what to do with, & I usually run into those via the tertiary 9 times out of 10. This gene really helps me be a little more flexible with weird colors!
Lost power today & couldn't play with the new gene but I finally got it back & here are some gen1's i'm playing with so far!

dragon?age=1&body=87&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=8&eyetype=2&gender=0&tert=118&tertgene=53&winggene=24&wings=10&auth=810c487d46069a73037b85e0cfce11643d961eca&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=2&bodygene=24&breed=4&element=8&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=41&tertgene=53&winggene=25&wings=151&auth=03e351d696e3f2d5d916d26504db4f334ae93059&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=121&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=6&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=169&tertgene=53&winggene=42&wings=82&auth=67e8cd91375305e5b95e3006328b3b10046253c8&dummyext=prev.png

Really like it & kind of what I was hoping for. I like genes that can work with colors that can be seen as 'difficult' in terms of what to do with, & I usually run into those via the tertiary 9 times out of 10. This gene really helps me be a little more flexible with weird colors!
Msp9L6c.gif|| Cheshire
she/her
hobbiest writer
enjoyer of many things
wishlist/info
nice
nice
68-F971-B2-F51-A-4-DE7-8103-DEECE3-DE1-BC9.png
oooh soo cool

i wonder how it will look on my dergs
oooh soo cool

i wonder how it will look on my dergs
my colors!
my cool ids interest check
My entry for cicada scavenger hunt
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
[quote name="Severance" date="2020-04-09 15:35:40" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2020-04-09 15:07:16" ] [quote name="xXDemonicHeartXx" date="2020-04-09 11:41:42" ] I’m under the impression that staff is throwing darts at cutouts of their breeds to see where genes end up on the dragons, I feel like this gene couldve had more potential than a gap filler [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/688477574267273315/697865809271193680/guardiankeel.png[/img] [/quote] UGH THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/quote] And look how long it took for someone to create the mockup too...like no time at all in the grand scheme of things. Slowly losing faith in the art quality of the site compared to other sims tbh. It feels like genes are just getting shoved out as quick as possible to garner a temporary influx of players that want to see the new content to boost site exposure. Criticize me if you want, but looking at some of the terts players have created in suggestions and then what we get makes me scratch my head. [/quote] @Severance It took me about 2 hours to make that mock-up after I first saw the update early this morning, bearing in mind that one of those hours was spent on a less-nice-looking pearlcatcher version. I think we should definitely consider the fact that mine's a rough draft on 1 pose of 1 dragon, and staff has to consider how to feasibly work a gene into three different poses for each breed. It does seem like Keel was a little bit rushed. But realistically, to hand draw genes like this for each pose of each breed would take forever and a half, and staff may have wanted to give us some quicker content between bigger updates.
Severance wrote on 2020-04-09 15:35:40:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2020-04-09 15:07:16:
xXDemonicHeartXx wrote on 2020-04-09 11:41:42:
I’m under the impression that staff is throwing darts at cutouts of their breeds to see where genes end up on the dragons, I feel like this gene couldve had more potential than a gap filler

guardiankeel.png

UGH THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And look how long it took for someone to create the mockup too...like no time at all in the grand scheme of things. Slowly losing faith in the art quality of the site compared to other sims tbh. It feels like genes are just getting shoved out as quick as possible to garner a temporary influx of players that want to see the new content to boost site exposure.

Criticize me if you want, but looking at some of the terts players have created in suggestions and then what we get makes me scratch my head.

@Severance

It took me about 2 hours to make that mock-up after I first saw the update early this morning, bearing in mind that one of those hours was spent on a less-nice-looking pearlcatcher version. I think we should definitely consider the fact that mine's a rough draft on 1 pose of 1 dragon, and staff has to consider how to feasibly work a gene into three different poses for each breed.

It does seem like Keel was a little bit rushed. But realistically, to hand draw genes like this for each pose of each breed would take forever and a half, and staff may have wanted to give us some quicker content between bigger updates.
1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 81 82