Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Suggestions??
1 2
What's up my dudes! I have a 16 hour long bus ride with my chorus in mid january, and while that is a while away, i like to think ahead and plan. So suggest a few really good books! i love fantasy, science fiction, and dystopian novels! Thank you![emoji=ridgeback laughing size=2]
What's up my dudes! I have a 16 hour long bus ride with my chorus in mid january, and while that is a while away, i like to think ahead and plan. So suggest a few really good books! i love fantasy, science fiction, and dystopian novels! Thank you!
Just gonna,, recommend my top two favorite series here,,, don't mind me haha

My top fantasy novel is Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo! I haven't met a single person who dislikes this book (besides the one guy i sit next to in class who's overly picky, so he doesn't count.) It's a magical heist. Picture Ocean's 11, but with magic. The plot is incredible, the writing is fantastic, and the characters are. So diverse. It's a very great read, and part of a duology. (the second book is Crooked Kingdom.)

My favorite science fiction/dystopian series, and my all-time favorite series, however, is Red Rising by Pierce Brown. It has an incredibly complex plot. Seriously, it's insane. And it gets even better with each book; currently, there are two series, the first trilogy is complete, and the next series is set 10 years after the first and it's just as good. The second book of the new series came out about two months ago, so I'm currently waiting for the last book haha. This is also one of the best written series I have read, if not the best. I'd 100% recommend that one if you're down for a more intense, mature read!

Some other series I'd check out are Legend by Marie Lu (fourth book just came out and I'm currently re-reading the entire series before reading the new book!), Renegades by Marissa Meyer (if you're into superhero/Marvel-esque type things. I just finished this book along with the sequel, and I was surprised by how good it was, and the final book comes out this November.), and The Young Elites also by Marie Lu (a very interesting fantasy novel with a pretty unique set of characters; 100% worth the read.)

Just gonna,, recommend my top two favorite series here,,, don't mind me haha

My top fantasy novel is Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo! I haven't met a single person who dislikes this book (besides the one guy i sit next to in class who's overly picky, so he doesn't count.) It's a magical heist. Picture Ocean's 11, but with magic. The plot is incredible, the writing is fantastic, and the characters are. So diverse. It's a very great read, and part of a duology. (the second book is Crooked Kingdom.)

My favorite science fiction/dystopian series, and my all-time favorite series, however, is Red Rising by Pierce Brown. It has an incredibly complex plot. Seriously, it's insane. And it gets even better with each book; currently, there are two series, the first trilogy is complete, and the next series is set 10 years after the first and it's just as good. The second book of the new series came out about two months ago, so I'm currently waiting for the last book haha. This is also one of the best written series I have read, if not the best. I'd 100% recommend that one if you're down for a more intense, mature read!

Some other series I'd check out are Legend by Marie Lu (fourth book just came out and I'm currently re-reading the entire series before reading the new book!), Renegades by Marissa Meyer (if you're into superhero/Marvel-esque type things. I just finished this book along with the sequel, and I was surprised by how good it was, and the final book comes out this November.), and The Young Elites also by Marie Lu (a very interesting fantasy novel with a pretty unique set of characters; 100% worth the read.)

9CxYF0H.png
Ender's Game was actually a really interesting read! My dad gave it to me to read and I didn't think it was going to be for me, but once I started I couldn't put it down! Maybe you'll like it too? I believe it's a sci-fi novel, but don't watch the movie, the movie is awful lol
Ender's Game was actually a really interesting read! My dad gave it to me to read and I didn't think it was going to be for me, but once I started I couldn't put it down! Maybe you'll like it too? I believe it's a sci-fi novel, but don't watch the movie, the movie is awful lol
01547b70441cd57956c9fa35703052f03d2c34b2.png _ LP/Parade
She/Her
FR+3

Art Shop
Skin Shop
Free Likes
Bounties
__ LittleParade.gif _
If you want a novel enough to last you the entire bus ride both ways you should read Gravity's Rainbow. I've been reading it for over a month now and I'm almost done, only about 35 pages left now. It's not exactly light reading though, from what I've heard its often considered one of the most difficult books in the English language. It's definitely worth it though, it's probably the greatest thing I've ever read.
If you want a novel enough to last you the entire bus ride both ways you should read Gravity's Rainbow. I've been reading it for over a month now and I'm almost done, only about 35 pages left now. It's not exactly light reading though, from what I've heard its often considered one of the most difficult books in the English language. It's definitely worth it though, it's probably the greatest thing I've ever read.
"Darkness still fell upon the cliff and the horn of the new moon vanished in the end behind the window of the wall as into a long-feared shelter in the Earth rich with the frames humility of God's memory and reflections. The stars in the sky shivered as they crawled once more up the fantastic ladder and into the void of themselves. They wondered whose turn would be next to fall from the sky as the last ghost of the crew had died and they alone were left to frame Christ's tree and home."
The Martian by Andy Weir is an excellent read, I just finished it the other day. It's on the shorter side, but that might be nice for your trip if you pair it with a longer read.

Anything by Neil Gaiman is great too; I'm reading his work Norse Mythology right now. As you may assume, it's an excellent telling of Norse myths but is incredibly engaging. It may also be a good book to take for this trip, you could read individual stories while taking a break from something hefty!
The Martian by Andy Weir is an excellent read, I just finished it the other day. It's on the shorter side, but that might be nice for your trip if you pair it with a longer read.

Anything by Neil Gaiman is great too; I'm reading his work Norse Mythology right now. As you may assume, it's an excellent telling of Norse myths but is incredibly engaging. It may also be a good book to take for this trip, you could read individual stories while taking a break from something hefty!
td9UiZS.png
If Ender's Game was good, there are about ten other books in the same universe.

The list of all I remember at the moment(most of these are series):
  • Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card- time travel
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap) - magic
  • Maximum Ride
  • Eragon (Inheritance cycle)
  • Percy Jackson (search the author's name for more)
  • Artemis fowl - fantasy / possibly science fiction
  • Three-body problem - science fiction
  • Found- Margaret Peterson Haddix - more time travel
If Ender's Game was good, there are about ten other books in the same universe.

The list of all I remember at the moment(most of these are series):
  • Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card- time travel
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap) - magic
  • Maximum Ride
  • Eragon (Inheritance cycle)
  • Percy Jackson (search the author's name for more)
  • Artemis fowl - fantasy / possibly science fiction
  • Three-body problem - science fiction
  • Found- Margaret Peterson Haddix - more time travel
IN3qoA3.gifhnOYGuB.gifE0tpxPX.gif
[font=monospace][b]Because I follow books more by their authors than anything, I'll rattle off a few. [emoji=guardian winking size=1] Iconic names like Tamora Pierce, Mercedes Lackey, and L. E. Modesitt Jr. are great fantasy authors. Although Mr. Modesitt does science fiction as well. [emoji=guardian happy size=1] Some of my other favorite authors are those like Dean Koontz and Stephen King, who write modern thrillers.
Because I follow books more by their authors than anything, I'll rattle off a few.

Iconic names like Tamora Pierce, Mercedes Lackey, and L. E. Modesitt Jr. are great fantasy authors. Although Mr. Modesitt does science fiction as well.

Some of my other favorite authors are those like Dean Koontz and Stephen King, who write modern thrillers.
vaOV9W8.gif
Ancillary Justice / Imperial Radch series is about a person trying to right a wrong and her role in a colonizing empire and the way the government is starting to fall apart. There's some interesting bits about language and how people talk about "civilization." The lede I'm burying here is that she is also a spaceship. The series is incredibly gripping, and I was in a constant state of wanting to know more. I would say that it is scifi, dystopian

The Goblin Emperor is about a kid who's thrust into a position of power and tries to do the right thing despite being way out of his depth. It's a really fun read, and I was engaged throughout the political maneuvering in the ways the protagonist struggles with how his every move is important now that he is emperor of the elflands. Probably fantasy.

A Darker Shade Of Magic / Shades of Magic series, I largely like because of the flavors of the different worlds. fantasy

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents / the rest of the Discword series (get a reading order guide because there is . so much) is incredibly funny and I'm just generally a big fan of cats. Other Discworld favs of mine are Monstrous Regiment and the Witches/Tiffany Aching/Guards books, and later books are definitely better than earlier books. fantasy

edit: I did also enjoy the Martian, but I find it difficult to reread that book. The narrative is fun and it's mostly focused on one guy trying to problem solve. I also ended up preferring Ender's Shadow to Ender's Game by a lot, though it's probably worth it to read Ender's Game for the comparison (my issues with Orson Scott Card aside).
Ancillary Justice / Imperial Radch series is about a person trying to right a wrong and her role in a colonizing empire and the way the government is starting to fall apart. There's some interesting bits about language and how people talk about "civilization." The lede I'm burying here is that she is also a spaceship. The series is incredibly gripping, and I was in a constant state of wanting to know more. I would say that it is scifi, dystopian

The Goblin Emperor is about a kid who's thrust into a position of power and tries to do the right thing despite being way out of his depth. It's a really fun read, and I was engaged throughout the political maneuvering in the ways the protagonist struggles with how his every move is important now that he is emperor of the elflands. Probably fantasy.

A Darker Shade Of Magic / Shades of Magic series, I largely like because of the flavors of the different worlds. fantasy

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents / the rest of the Discword series (get a reading order guide because there is . so much) is incredibly funny and I'm just generally a big fan of cats. Other Discworld favs of mine are Monstrous Regiment and the Witches/Tiffany Aching/Guards books, and later books are definitely better than earlier books. fantasy

edit: I did also enjoy the Martian, but I find it difficult to reread that book. The narrative is fun and it's mostly focused on one guy trying to problem solve. I also ended up preferring Ender's Shadow to Ender's Game by a lot, though it's probably worth it to read Ender's Game for the comparison (my issues with Orson Scott Card aside).
hvtchsg.png . she/her . art . art shop . hatchery
I like the Destroyermen series. It's technically history but it has a science fiction twist where people from the real world during WWII get teleported into a similar world except it's full of sentient Lemur-people and killer Lizard-people. It's a slower read, but it's heavy on character and historical facts while adding thriller fighting scenes and tense moments. I absolutely love rereading how each party first met as it's so hilarious. It's definitely different than what is normally science fiction, but maybe you'll like it. :)
I like the Destroyermen series. It's technically history but it has a science fiction twist where people from the real world during WWII get teleported into a similar world except it's full of sentient Lemur-people and killer Lizard-people. It's a slower read, but it's heavy on character and historical facts while adding thriller fighting scenes and tense moments. I absolutely love rereading how each party first met as it's so hilarious. It's definitely different than what is normally science fiction, but maybe you'll like it. :)
f3ddYmI.pngcib7xC4.png43VGxJT.png
If you want something that mixes dystopian and fantasy might I suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. It has excellent world building and an amazing magic system.
If you want something that mixes dystopian and fantasy might I suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. It has excellent world building and an amazing magic system.
1 2