Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Let's Talk About Obscure Animes
1 2 3
@keet I loved that show and was so upset it was only one season. Hope there's more!
@keet I loved that show and was so upset it was only one season. Hope there's more!
sQl9mhK.png2CdcZTh.pngRz7ZJcJ.png
@ardhrianna
I KNOWWWWWWW
I tried getting into the manga, but it was tricky :/ I just want to see more anime for it

do you have a favorite? I love Sinha
@ardhrianna
I KNOWWWWWWW
I tried getting into the manga, but it was tricky :/ I just want to see more anime for it

do you have a favorite? I love Sinha
sfVMa01.pngMa06BNU.pngBVUXJUX.png
It depends on what you'd consider obscure, but I absolutely adore Nichijou, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Serial Experiments Lain.

My most favorite anime of all times is Kill la Kill, which used to be massively popular, but I'm not sure how many people know it nowadays.
It depends on what you'd consider obscure, but I absolutely adore Nichijou, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Serial Experiments Lain.

My most favorite anime of all times is Kill la Kill, which used to be massively popular, but I'm not sure how many people know it nowadays.
Oh Oh! Land of the Lustrous!! That anime isn't like normal anime, there's only one season and even though it was really big, it's not coming back. It's also left on a "What do you think happens next?" note.
Oh Oh! Land of the Lustrous!! That anime isn't like normal anime, there's only one season and even though it was really big, it's not coming back. It's also left on a "What do you think happens next?" note.
Weiss Kreuz, which was (badly) dubbed in the early 2000s and came to the US as "Knight Hunters". The OVAs were pretty good, too, and the second season had a way more solid arc and animation, even though I really missed the character designs of the first season (mangaka did the designs, and had the rights, and anime creator/lead voice actor hadn't gotten permission to use them for season 2, and actually had permission expressly denied, from what I remember, so they had to start almost completely from scratch).

Revolutionary Girl Utena. LOVE this series, and have since I first saw it. It's emotionally complex and has gorgeous art and a compelling story.

Rose of Versailles. Obscure by US standards - it only has a DVD release with subtitles, and that's within the last 10 years - no dub, the manga translation is in limbo. It's omnipresent in Japan, and has been since the 70s when it aired originally. Beautiful and tragic and suspenseful. The animation holds up very well. Best story I have about it is that I was at a store in NYC called Book-Off several years ago, and was looking for the Japanese manga, so I could at least admire the art and try to glean more of the story from it. I asked the woman who worked there if they had the manga of Rose of Versailles. The reply was that manga was on the bottom floor. I'd looked all over the shelves already, but I don't know the kanji well enough to have spotted it. So, I asked if they had copies of "Berusaii no Bara", the Romaji of the title, and her face lit up. She all but dragged me back downstairs and helped me find all five volumes - she even dug through the drawers of books that wouldn't fit on the shelves to see if there were any volumes there, since not all 5 were on the shelves (they were, indeed, in the drawers below). We had a good, if stilted, talk about Lady Oscar and the series as a whole.
Weiss Kreuz, which was (badly) dubbed in the early 2000s and came to the US as "Knight Hunters". The OVAs were pretty good, too, and the second season had a way more solid arc and animation, even though I really missed the character designs of the first season (mangaka did the designs, and had the rights, and anime creator/lead voice actor hadn't gotten permission to use them for season 2, and actually had permission expressly denied, from what I remember, so they had to start almost completely from scratch).

Revolutionary Girl Utena. LOVE this series, and have since I first saw it. It's emotionally complex and has gorgeous art and a compelling story.

Rose of Versailles. Obscure by US standards - it only has a DVD release with subtitles, and that's within the last 10 years - no dub, the manga translation is in limbo. It's omnipresent in Japan, and has been since the 70s when it aired originally. Beautiful and tragic and suspenseful. The animation holds up very well. Best story I have about it is that I was at a store in NYC called Book-Off several years ago, and was looking for the Japanese manga, so I could at least admire the art and try to glean more of the story from it. I asked the woman who worked there if they had the manga of Rose of Versailles. The reply was that manga was on the bottom floor. I'd looked all over the shelves already, but I don't know the kanji well enough to have spotted it. So, I asked if they had copies of "Berusaii no Bara", the Romaji of the title, and her face lit up. She all but dragged me back downstairs and helped me find all five volumes - she even dug through the drawers of books that wouldn't fit on the shelves to see if there were any volumes there, since not all 5 were on the shelves (they were, indeed, in the drawers below). We had a good, if stilted, talk about Lady Oscar and the series as a whole.
noli timere tempestatem. tempestas est res pulchra. ama tempestatem et gaude in pulchritudine.
595bwIn.png
nunc, ad tuas labores reveni!
@keet I didn't have a super specific favourite but I did love how Yona evolved over the course of the season. I'm really hoping there's more to come! I haven't read the manga but it's something I keep pondering looking up.

Although if I HAD to pick, I have a soft spot for Shin-Ah. The poor guy!
@keet I didn't have a super specific favourite but I did love how Yona evolved over the course of the season. I'm really hoping there's more to come! I haven't read the manga but it's something I keep pondering looking up.

Although if I HAD to pick, I have a soft spot for Shin-Ah. The poor guy!
sQl9mhK.png2CdcZTh.pngRz7ZJcJ.png
Mushi-shi is a personal favorite.

no one talks about Oban star racers. it's such a great series.
Mushi-shi is a personal favorite.

no one talks about Oban star racers. it's such a great series.
PdgyR10.png
[quote name="Greyjoy" date="2019-06-29 17:01:26" ] My favourite 'obscure' (or less popular?) one is easily Dennou Coil. c: [/quote] i LOVED dennou coil! i've never seen someone talk about it, but it was a really neat little series!!
Greyjoy wrote on 2019-06-29 17:01:26:
My favourite 'obscure' (or less popular?) one is easily Dennou Coil. c:

i LOVED dennou coil! i've never seen someone talk about it, but it was a really neat little series!!
komaeda-kun-komaeda.png
please ping me if you quote me
@Aerynth
I couldn't help but notice you listing Kill la Kill and Serial Experiments Lain
oh my god! I love those two! Kill la Kill was so hilariously epic.

As for myself. I bring to the table Spice and Wolf, Sunday without god, Princess Tutu and a film Paprika. I think I've seen quite a few lesser known ones, but I just can't remember them at the moment.
@Aerynth
I couldn't help but notice you listing Kill la Kill and Serial Experiments Lain
oh my god! I love those two! Kill la Kill was so hilariously epic.

As for myself. I bring to the table Spice and Wolf, Sunday without god, Princess Tutu and a film Paprika. I think I've seen quite a few lesser known ones, but I just can't remember them at the moment.
Neon.png You start with an impossible goal: defeating the unbeatable enemy. And then you do whatever you gotta do to achieve it! Because even you can't know how much potential you have until you push yourself past your limits. THAT'S how you make yourself not just stronger... but stronger than you ever imagined you could be!

Qpv2mvo.pngYE53boy.pngSZfmfRv.png
fujRTIl.png
[center]I feel like I am the only person in the world who's watched Slayers! DX [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Slayers_characters.jpg[/img] But like it's got everything you need: *Comedic female protagonist that is both wonderfully morally grey and chaotic and is never one-dimensional or the typical "pretty damsel in distress". *Plot that is a playful, humorous, jaunt for most of the part but then can get pretty gosh-darn suspenseful and dramatic when it needs to and it doesn't feel out of place. *Magic! Dungeons! Demons! Adventure! Food! So basically this is D&D the anime. *Every single character feels like a realistic person with their owns goals and drives. No one feels like a trope. And what trope-y behavior some main characters have is played up for parody. (Amelia's passion for justice? Friggin hilarious.) *EXTREME WORLDBUILDING. Like holy cow, the world (and multiverse) is fully fleshed out with their own pantheons and rules. Like if you just google the Slayers universe, you can deep dive for days on all its extensive worldbuilding. *All three seasons are amazing! The original 3 seasons are treasures and none of them fall in quality like some sequels do. (Although we don't talk about Slayers Revolution...djhg...) Anyway it's amazing and if you want a feel-good adventure comedy, please watch this!
I feel like I am the only person in the world who's watched Slayers! DX

Slayers_characters.jpg

But like it's got everything you need:

*Comedic female protagonist that is both wonderfully morally grey and chaotic and is never one-dimensional or the typical "pretty damsel in distress".

*Plot that is a playful, humorous, jaunt for most of the part but then can get pretty gosh-darn suspenseful and dramatic when it needs to and it doesn't feel out of place.

*Magic! Dungeons! Demons! Adventure! Food! So basically this is D&D the anime.

*Every single character feels like a realistic person with their owns goals and drives. No one feels like a trope. And what trope-y behavior some main characters have is played up for parody. (Amelia's passion for justice? Friggin hilarious.)

*EXTREME WORLDBUILDING. Like holy cow, the world (and multiverse) is fully fleshed out with their own pantheons and rules. Like if you just google the Slayers universe, you can deep dive for days on all its extensive worldbuilding.

*All three seasons are amazing! The original 3 seasons are treasures and none of them fall in quality like some sequels do. (Although we don't talk about Slayers Revolution...djhg...)

Anyway it's amazing and if you want a feel-good adventure comedy, please watch this!
Looking for free lineage dragons? Level 25 rentals? Join an active community with frequent free raffles? Check out Vitali's Warriors!
1 2 3